Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 49 of 1527 FirstFirst ... 39474849505159991495491049 ... LastLast
    I don’t think that people expect Trump to be a miracle worker and keep people from dying (though had he responded more swiftly, he may have reduced that number).

The “leading from the front” piece? That’s what people want. Trump bloviates from the front, and riles up people looking for someone to blame. It’s reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by Sick Of It All View Post
    Well the Koreans have done a great job with testing and controlling the virus. The US has not.
    And they are first. I haven’t look into this but I think the fact that it came here later and that you have to sleep with a thermometer in your *** in Korean probably has them a little ahead of us in terms of being able to safely play and broadcast baseball. It’s good that they are and I hope our related industries are taking note but I don’t think you can say look if they are doing it now we should be to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    Yea, too bad we couldn't be more like Italy...
    It’s too bad we can’t be more like we deserve to be based on our financial resources and abilities. Nurses shouldn’t be running out of masks in the richest country. It appears that’s a facade.

Comparisons seem to be irrelevant. South Korea v Italy...we’ve got countries where no measures or late measures were taken and huge increase in cases. Then you’ve got Sweden who seems to have taken a herd immunity approach with minimal restrictions and shutdowns, and they seem to be doing well.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Meaning what, exactly???? That the ROK is doing a great job and the US is doing a poor job???? Is that your point???? (and I think it is.)

Apples and oranges.

We have over 30 states bigger than Korea. And Korea is one of the most homogeneous places on earth…they're pretty much all Koreans. It is much easier to control a small country populated by people that are carbon copies of each other.

And has anyone noticed that the countries that are the heaviest hit are countries that people actually visit…you know like travel to. People just don't travel to Korea. The virus had to get our of China somehow…and it was by travel.

Top 5 countries for travel…France, Spain, US, China, Italy
    Top 5 countries for corona virus…US, Spain, Italy, France, UK

I'm sensing a pattern here.

Many of you are trying to pin the US corona virus victims on Trump…we get it. You don't like Trump. Got it. Understood.

But you are failing to take into consideration many factors, not the least of which is the complex dynamics of the US society…size, population, diversity, different types of living standards, income distribution etc. Facets most countries do not have to deal with.

Korea is the size of Kentucky. You can drive from one end to the other. How difficult would it be to get masks to everyone KY (even with the same population as ROK) or making sure everyone in KY is near a hospital, or to move ventilators around, or making sure everyone in KY has a pound of rice.

Could Trump have done better…yes. Could Trump have done worse…yes. Could previous admins have done better in preparing government stockpiles… yes. (Trump did not empty the shelves of supplies. They weren't there.) Could they have done worse…yes.

No one could have done a better job at handling this virus. Not BO, not Reagan, not Kennedy, not Ike. All of them would have done a better job leading from the front, keeping the country placated, interacting with the press. But just as many people would have been infected and just as many people would have died.

You cannot adequately prepare for something like this nor can you come up with a "best way" of handling something like this.

And don't compare the US with Korea. Just silly.
    You might want to circle back on this one; you probably should have been quoting your soulmate fingerbang, not Sick Of It All.

Certainly not in the resources department. The didn't have enough beds and ventilators and people died as direct result of that.
    Who cares. What about us? Richest country, “best healthcare” quality that we pay way too much for, super fun #1 freedom bald eagle bestest.....can’t get enough tests, masks, ventilators...

And now it looks like the wave is going to hit the Midwest over the next month and they’re still not prepared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Imaginary enemies? There are people in the thread warning about opening things up. People angry because people went to the beach, lol.

You're the one pretending if you think everyone is in agreement over this.

You told me to quit complaining because they opened up some parks in NJ...
    Yeah they just “went to the beach”. No big deal bruh

I’m tired of the constant boneheaded ignorance our citizens willfully show in the face of experts. Health officials provided guidance on how to approach this and avoid overloading our healthcare system. “But I want to go to the beach”.

It’s no different than climatologists presenting findings and advice based on decades of research only so some big dumb noncontributor can yell “hoax” in their face.

We are so so dumb.

How long do we hide?
    Until the people who are risking their lives to study this come back and tell us the best way to handle.

I mean I get it. A depression will kill people too. There are enormous ramifications for shutting everything down this long. But if we open too soon then we get another wave, hospitals are overloaded, people with treatable conditions miss out because everyone is shifted to emergency covid care....the directive has to come from researchers and medical professionals, not stockholders.

This feels like a bad cliche sci-fi movie where nobody listens to the scientists and then we all get eaten by zombies.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    You might want to circle back on this one; you probably should have been quoting your soulmate fingerbang, not Sick Of It All.
    Don't need to.

The whys and wherefores that I pointed out are spot on.

Additionally, although I don't know what the ROK political coverage is like, I find it hard to believe that it is segmented as ours is nor could I see the Korean press being as antagonistic. I doubt if there is a Rachel Maddow Woo over there near tears nightly.

Only real point here is that Trump is doing as well as anyone could with this. No matter how early he would have shut this down, people like Joy Behar and the rest would have said he could have done it sooner. However, I completely agree that others could have presented the situation much better.

Don't need to.

The whys and wherefores that I pointed out are spot on.

Additionally, although I don't know what the ROK political coverage is like, I find it hard to believe that it is segmented as ours is nor could I see the Korean press being as antagonistic. I doubt if there is a Rachel Maddow Woo over there near tears nightly.

Only real point here is that Trump is doing as well as anyone could with this. No matter how early he would have shut this down, people like Joy Behar and the rest would have said he could have done it sooner. However, I completely agree that others could have presented the situation much better.
    No, the point is you called out one poster because you don’t like his political stance while giving your political kindred spirit a pass.

And you are dead wrong — Trump could have done much better, even under the circumstances (oh sure, he could have done worse, too, though he’d have less road to travel there).

When all is said and done, I am fairly sure that we will discover that the US managed one of the most ineffective overall responses (if not the most ineffective) of any developed country, and that does include Spain, Italy, et al.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    No, the point is you called out one poster because you don’t like his political stance while giving your political kindred spirit a pass.

And you are dead wrong — Trump could have done much better, even under the circumstances (oh sure, he could have done worse, too, though he’d have less road to travel there).

When all is said and done, I am fairly sure that we will discover that the US managed one of the most ineffective overall responses (if not the most ineffective) of any developed country, and that does include Spain, Italy, et al.
    Wrong again.

You're treating all these countries as if they were all the same. No other country has the dynamics in place as the US does.

Also assuming that Trump could have done better implies that some one else could have done better had they been in charge. Since nothing like this has ever happened before, that is an assumption that should not be made. If something has never happened before, know one knows (key word "knows") exactly what to do.

born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Wrong again.

You're treating all these countries as if they were all the same. No other country has the dynamics in place as the US does.

Also assuming that Trump could have done better implies that some one else could have done better had they been in charge. Since nothing like this has ever happened before, that is an assumption that should not be made. If something has never happened before, know one knows (key word "knows") exactly what to do.
    How can he be wrong about predicting something in the future we don't know the answer to yet.

yes countries are different, but that doesn't mean you can't compare them.

And do you really not think Trump could have done any better?
    We botched testing from the get go. The CDC created something that didn't work. and took weeks to fix.
    We ran out of supplies that he could have ordered (and still could order) companies to make.
    We have been given mixed messages about what to do.
    Fringe groups have been emboldened to run around with guns.

Seriously... you're feverish.

Do you remember how people rallied around GW when 9/11 happened? This could have been that for Trump.
    Last edited by flips333; 05-05-2020 at 10:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post
    How can he be wrong about predicting something in the future we don't know the answer to yet.

We botched testing from the get go. The CDC created something that didn't work. and took weeks to fix.
    We ran out of supplies that he could have ordered (and still could order) companies to make.

Do you remember how people rallied around GW when 9/11 happened? This could have been that for Trump.
    @ the bold
    GJO- You will never be forgotten. "MORE THAN MINFINITY"!

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    We need more testing. My county and the adjoining county are currently in the midst of an outbreak. Its not because of more testing, we are running every test we have available and are only testing symptomatic people. Granted, estimates are coming out of previous hotspots showing that many more people have been affected, but that doesnt really mean dick until we get more data. We know to expect that when we are only testing symptomatic people.

We have to do something legislatively to protect people that are the most susceptible when we make a push to reopen. As soon as the stay at home orders are lifted these people will be expected back to work, we need a temporary system that allows them(under doctors orders) to continue to work from home or to have some unemployment eligibility that has some teeth.

Those are my big ones. Obviously, we are probably looking at some additional restrictions like mass gatherings and some continuance of social distancing. I think at that point people can make educated decisions considering we are in this for the long haul.

I keep coming back to the same question though. What is any different today than 3 months ago? What breakthroughs have we made or what have we learned that puts us in any better shape moving forward? Is this just about the economy? I get people frustrations, but they are fair questions.
    Unemployment is already bolstered a LOT. To the point that I saw a couple articles that say a large number of people on unemployment are making considerably more than when they were working.

What is different today than 3 months ago? Three months of economic pain. The same reason most strikes end ... lack of money makes people desperate. In this case there is also the real psychological strain of people staying at home.

Quote Originally Posted by flips333 View Post

Serious question ... how is Trump to blame for the CDC screwing up? The lack of supplies was not primarily on Trump when the reserves were exhausted in 2009 and not restocked then when they should have been. Mixed messages is the nature of modern life, and anybody watching politicians talk are not looking to the right people for advice. Fringe groups are always stupid or they wouldn't be "fringe", and they don't need to be emboldened to act on their stupid.

Trump could have done better I don't doubt, but a lot of the stuff blamed on him is just stupid. If Trump was a dictator and had all the power then we could blame him for a lot more, but the reality is he has little power to solve the real issues we've been dealing with.