Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 45 of 1301 FirstFirst ... 35434445464755951455451045 ... LastLast
    born and raised on the south side of Chicago.
    Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Iceland Is a Perfect Laboratory for Studying Covid-19

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ource=url_link
    Except some of the reasons why it is "good," the study of the genome and it's isolation also make it bad... As something that is good for Iceland, isn't necessarily going to be true when you get to more diverse populations culturally and genetically.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoon
    man with hair like fire can destroy souls with a twitch of his thighs.

I criticized Mike Pence for not wearing a mask.

https://forums.prosportsdaily.com/sh...1#post33468371

now he admits that he should have worn a mask.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/03/polit...nic/index.html

(CNN eh)

Pence says he should have worn a mask at the Mayo Clinic
    Citing how often he's been tested for the virus, Pence said during a Fox News town hall, "I didn't think it was necessary but I should have worn the mask at the Mayo Clinic."

Į\_(ツ)_/Į

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome

I think a lot of the issues start with government, regardless of whether you are Republican or Democrat: I think people would have been more open to things from the start if the government (Both Federal and Local) had said-- We are shutting things down for 2 weeks (14 days) to see how things are. If things go well, we will reopen and re-examine things and are going to be taking immediate, necessary steps to begin testing and finding a vaccine.

However, when you let people walk into Lowe's, Home Depot's, Walmart's like nothing is the matter, but you tell a small business owner they have to shut down you are sending mixed signals. If it is safe to go into those places, why is not safe to go into a hair salon? Bowling alley? Movie Theater? Restaurant?

Plus, it seems like all these governors go on a 2 week thing. Is anything really going to be different on May 15 that wasn't different on May 1st?

And don't get me started on the Media!
    Eichel Tower

Quote Originally Posted by ccugrad1 View Post
    I think a lot of the issues start with government, regardless of whether you are Republican or Democrat: I think people would have been more open to things from the start if the government (Both Federal and Local) had said-- We are shutting things down for 2 weeks (14 days) to see how things are. If things go well, we will reopen and re-examine things and are going to be taking immediate, necessary steps to begin testing and finding a vaccine.

However, when you let people walk into Lowe's, Home Depot's, Walmart's like nothing is the matter, but you tell a small business owner they have to shut down you are sending mixed signals. If it is safe to go into those places, why is not safe to go into a hair salon? Bowling alley? Movie Theater? Restaurant?

Plus, it seems like all these governors go on a 2 week thing. Is anything really going to be different on May 15 that wasn't different on May 1st?

And don't get me started on the Media!
    Yes and no. The decision to shut things down is incredibly complex and it shouldn't be rushed into. For instance, the governor of Texas has, by Texas constitution, the right to take such actions for a maximum of 7 days, if the legislature supports it it can be extended to 30 days. Had they acted by doing the shelter in place the first week of march then there would have been no restrictions the first week of April. By SUGGESTING people shelter in place for a couple weeks they were able to extend the protection to the end of April. Texas started opening back up 31 days after the shelter order and has been progressing from there. Friday movie theaters re-opened.

In addition, we know that we did a lot of damage to the economy and damaging the economy so much is going to lead to a lot of deaths, so we don't really know what the long term effects of the shelter in place are going to be. In this thread there was talk of 130M people in danger of starving which is a pretty dire result of the shelter.

Several countries didn't shelter at home so we'll get some idea from their data eventually, thought the economic damage will cross those borders so they won't be able to escape that damage.

I had guessed at 250k US Corona deaths, we are at 66k last I looked. A few years ago the flu took out 62k on the US, and that was with a vaccine that was judged 51% effective. So with Coronavirus being deadlier and more likely to spread the 66k shows that the shelter has had a major positive effect on the deaths. But if, in the next few months we get another 150k deaths from it I think there are reasonably going to be a lot more questions about what the right approach would have been.

Anybody who says this is simple are not really thinking about all the elements of it. Or are not understanding of the realities of life and death.

We were supposed to stay shut to slow the spread. Stopping it was never the issue. The sad reality is that this thing might kill us in 50 years rather than the next three months. It's not going anywhere. The amount of people that think they're gonna hide out for the next several months to "save lives" is hilarious.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by fingerbang View Post
    We were supposed to stay shut to slow the spread. Stopping it was never the issue. The sad reality is that this thing might kill us in 50 years rather than the next three months. It's not going anywhere. The amount of people that think they're gonna hide out for the next several months to "save lives" is hilarious.
    And the amount of people ignoring the data and clamoring to open things up are frightening.

Opening things up just puts up back to square one. I donít see any reasonable way where we can open up and not have to worry about a second wave. The Wharton mode suggests another 250k or so people will get infected if we open back up. Thatís probably a low estimate considering the amount of cases that havenít been reported.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

True. When I said something like that a few months ago people thought I was nuts that it wouldn't go away in a single year.

Hey, you're in NYC... They estimated that roughly 20% of NYC residents have already been infected based on a sampling. What's 20% of 8 million? That's NYC alone. 250k is a drop in the bucket, lol.
    Bachelors III . . . In the Inn. . . Lanas Garage 4/18/75 . . . lpswitch with Snake, Hards and Mendy . . .B.D.W.B. . . Ambition: I want Dooleys Job . . . Saturday Night Live . . . Bathroom Brawls . . . Living at Snakes . . . WHERE IS MUSKY. - John Tortorella

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    True. When I said something like that a few months ago people thought I was nuts that it wouldn't go away in a single year.
    People went from completely overlooking it to the sky is falling over the matter of months. Doesn't help that the media has masterfully found a way to portray every aspect of it in the worst possible way.

People went from completely overlooking it to the sky is falling over the matter of months. Doesn't help that the media has masterfully found a way to portray every aspect of it in the worst possible way.
    It's what they do.

Stopping an outbreak will save lives because during an outbreak we will experience a lot of unnecessary death due to overwhelming the system and not having proper care for patients.

The disease is around and isnt going anywhere, but at this point in time preventing outbreaks is the goal.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

We didn't overwhelm the system. I'm not saying we need to start having parades but things need to start opening up to some degree.

We didn't overwhelm the system. I'm not saying we need to start having parades but things need to start opening up to some degree.
    We did in New York. We were on the verge in Los Angeles.

I agree with you, but our leadership is just flat out inept. It's hard to maneuver this sort of situation when the person leading the ship doesnt even have a basic understanding of the issue at hand.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Itís still possible to overload the system though. Some areas are slowly opening and weíll see the effect but the reality is we could have to close up again if the rate increases. Itís sad how lagging we are in resources but itís been run privately and this is what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GGGGG-Men View Post
    Itís still possible to overload the system though. Some areas are slowly opening and weíll see the effect but the reality is we could have to close up again if the rate increases. Itís sad how lagging we are in resources but itís been run privately and this is what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yea, too bad we couldn't be more like Italy...