Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 28 of 1154 FirstFirst ... 18262728293038781285281028 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    "A 60% increase" means they went from 15 calls to 20 which could be entirely attributed to people being home a lot more, and if it's about Trump why include the numbers for all of march?

This whole thing is so stupid.
    Yes, I know how math works. I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is that people actually need to be told not to drink or inject disinfectant. Or at least that some officials feel as though the public needs to be reminded of this.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yes, I know how math works. I was simply pointing out how ridiculous it is that people actually need to be told not to drink or inject disinfectant. Or at least that some officials feel as though the public needs to be reminded of this.
    Okay, though my point was that the stats in the post were themselves meaningless.

Like dishwashers are failing at a much faster rate than before the shelter in place ... one can conclude that dishwashers are getting the Rona, or that dishwashers are giving up because of Trump/Biden, or that they are just being used more often and thus reaching a failure point in a shorter calendar time.

I've seen a few "stats" to prove something in the last month that can be explained by the sudden and encompassing change in our society.
    Last edited by Scoots; 04-26-2020 at 04:31 PM. Reason: redundant language

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    There were loopholes for some companies to apply for those. Also, while I don't know anything about Shake Shack, franchisees who are considered small business for the most part, would be eligible for those loans. So maybe Shake Shack corporate took it, but maybe their franchisees (if they aren't corporate owned) ended up with that money.
    I do know that Shake Shack returned the money, whether for good PR or because they knew they were out of line.

Also, that Fisher Island place probably qualifies as a small business (under 500 employees) even if they are a member only business. But if you try to shut them down, what prevents other "membership only" places like an independently owned gym with the same number of employees, from being turned away as well?
    In this case — and I am sure in countless others — there’s is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. It’s pretty obvious that the wealthy are already relatively very well insulated from this pandemic. Shame on them for taking the money instead of figuring out a way to deal with it privately.

EDIT: Apparently embarrassed by the publicity, the private club is giving the money back. Just makes me wonder how many others scams out there are hoping that they don’t get called out?

This is one of the benefits to having an engaged media.

https://time.com/5827509/fisher-island-loan/
    Last edited by Crovash; 04-26-2020 at 04:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post

In this case — and I am sure in countless others — there’s is the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. It’s pretty obvious that the wealthy are already relatively very well insulated from this pandemic. Shame on them for taking the money instead of figuring out a way to deal with it privately.
    Isnt this what you expected tho? I did.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

I do know that Shake Shack returned the money, whether for good PR or because they knew they were out of line.

That's true, but we also don't know the financials of the membership only place. Like a golf course/club near me, that nearly went out of business. A few business owners who were members put together their own LLC and bought the country club.

That's true, but we also don't know the financials of the membership only place. Like a golf course/club near me, that nearly went out of business. A few business owners who were members put together their own LLC and bought the country club.
    See my edit above.

Okay, though my point was that the stats in the post were themselves meaningless.
    ....and I do not disagree with you on that.

I posted the article because it related to what was being discussed and to laugh at where we are as a country: state officials, the CDC, and Lysol (amongst others) feeling the need to come out and remind us that we shouldn't ingest disinfectants.

See my edit above.
    Right, and that's good on them. But how many other private clubs might need the money? It's unfair to expect the members to bail them out in all instances.

Right, and that's good on them. But how many other private clubs might need the money? It's unfair to expect the members to bail them out in all instances.
    I do not believe that I ever indicated that private clubs should not qualify. I do not think this one should have (and I don’t know enough of the distribution process to know whether they applied for it, were selected for it, or just got lucky — that would be an important sidebar to the story).

I wish it were otherwise, but I must say that I do not implicitly trust the distribution process, and I hope more media get motivated to do this kind of reporting.

I do not believe that I ever indicated that private clubs should not qualify. I do not think this one should have (and I don’t know enough of the distribution process to know whether they applied for it, were selected for it, or just got lucky — that would be an important sidebar to the story).

I wish it were otherwise, but I must say that I do not implicitly trust the distribution process, and I hope more media get motivated to do this kind of reporting.
    Gotcha. I absolutely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    ....and I do not disagree with you on that.

I posted the article because it related to what was being discussed and to laugh at where we are as a country: state officials, the CDC, and Lysol (amongst others) feeling the need to come out and remind us that we shouldn't ingest disinfectants.
    One last try and don't feel the need to respond. I talked about the stats because you specifically quoted the following:

In the past couple of days since Trump's remarks, the IPC said it has seen a 60% increase in calls related to "inappropriate exposures to disinfectants/cleaners."

The IPC received 750 household cleaning product calls from March 1 through April 20 last year. In that same period this year, it got 1,024 calls.
    Those specific parts of your quote are why I replied the way I did. Had they not been specifically quoted by you I would not have thought those ABSURD points were part of what you were intending to highlight.

It bugs me that they have near 2 months of data and imply that the 60% increase is a result of Trump's idiocy a few days ago. This time and situational sloppiness is a really common way lies spread.

Yes, you've made that abundantly clear.

One last try and don't feel the need to respond. I talked about the stats because you specifically quoted the following:

Those specific parts of your quote are why I replied the way I did. Had they not been specifically quoted by you I would not have thought those ABSURD points were part of what you were intending to highlight.

It bugs me that they have near 2 months of data and imply that the 60% increase is a result of Trump's idiocy a few days ago. This time and situational sloppiness is a really common way lies spread.
    lol, that buzz tho..

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Follow up to my comments yesterday about the wealthy exploiting the pandemic:

“Many of the tax benefits in the stimulus are “just shoveling money to rich people,” said Victor Fleischer, a tax law professor at the University of California, Irvine. While the 2017 tax-cut package was a bonanza for big companies and wealthy individuals, in order to keep the law’s overall costs down it imposed a number of restrictions on who could take advantage of certain tax breaks and how much those taxpayers could reap.

One provision tucked into the federal economic-rescue law increases the amount of deductions companies are permitted to take on the interest they pay on large quantities of debt. Only companies with at least $25 million in annual receipts can qualify for that break.

Another change lets people deduct even more of their businesses’ losses from any winnings they reaped in the stock market, sharply reducing what they owe in capital gains taxes. Only households earning at least $500,000 a year — the top 1 percent of American taxpayers — are eligible.

And yet another provision in last month’s rescue package allows companies to deduct losses in one year against profits that they earned years earlier. The tax break most likely won’t put any extra cash directly into the hands of companies hit by the current crisis for at least a year.

The bottom line is that, barely two years after congressional Republicans and President Trump lavished America’s wealthiest families and companies with a series of lucrative tax cuts, those same beneficiaries are now receiving a second helping.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/24/b...thy-virus.html

Meanwhile, I haven’t seen a penny from the government.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumé