Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 209 of 375 FirstFirst ... 109159199207208209210211219259309 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 5620
  1. #3121
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,509
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    That's what the rule was in place for to ensure this with actual data and to help limit systematic issues/discrimination.

    https://www.businessinsider.com/trum...ighbors-2020-7

    The rule required state and local communities seeking federal housing funding to collect extensive data on demographics and living conditions and, importantly, to show that they were not perpetuating racial discrimination.

    Housing advocates have criticized the rule change, saying it would give localities much freer rein to allow discriminatory and unequal housing conditions to persist.

    The National Low Income Housing Coalition, for example, said the rule change "represents a complete retreat from efforts to undo historic, government-driven patterns of housing discrimination and segregation throughout the US" and would "allow communities to ignore the essential racial desegregation obligations of fair housing law."

    "The Suburban Housewives of America must read this article," Trump tweeted on Thursday, linking to a New York Post opinion column criticizing Biden's policy plans to expand affordable housing in suburbs and set standards to prevent housing discrimination. "Biden will destroy your neighborhood and your American Dream. I will preserve it, and make it even better!"
    Where is all this suburban housing discrimination???

    You cannot claim discrimination due to affordability. I can't afford a Mercedes…is that discriminatory??? I also can't afford the type of house that I would really like to own………is that discriminatory???

    Just because a county, district, neighborhood is mostly white does not mean it is discriminating against anyone else. If you got the dough or qualify for a loan, you can buy the house.

    Forcing all these little ratios that everyone wants to see to make everyone huggy feely does not work. You want to force low income housing into an area…property values will go down, people will move further out causing them to have longer commute times and spend more $$$$. (but who really cares about that). Peop-le move to the suburbs for a reason and low income properties will destroy those reasons.

    If you want to have affordable housing for the poor (them again), it needs to be done on the local level. Let cities take over abandoned properties, condemn underperforming properties, level it, build reasonable housing (no more that 2-3 stories. Avoid these massive apartment blocks)., Build them with city owned construction companies (jobs for the locals.). And then sell them back at low mortgage rates to qualified low income families that must pay for and maintain the properties or be booted out. This system would do wonders for places like Detroit, St. Louis and a few others. AOC can come in and show them how to use the garbage disposal.

    leave the burbs alone.

  2. #3122
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Where is all this suburban housing discrimination???

    You cannot claim discrimination due to affordability. I can't afford a Mercedes…is that discriminatory??? I also can't afford the type of house that I would really like to own………is that discriminatory???

    Just because a county, district, neighborhood is mostly white does not mean it is discriminating against anyone else. If you got the dough or qualify for a loan, you can buy the house.

    Forcing all these little ratios that everyone wants to see to make everyone huggy feely does not work. You want to force low income housing into an area…property values will go down, people will move further out causing them to have longer commute times and spend more $$$$. (but who really cares about that). Peop-le move to the suburbs for a reason and low income properties will destroy those reasons.

    If you want to have affordable housing for the poor (them again), it needs to be done on the local level. Let cities take over abandoned properties, condemn underperforming properties, level it, build reasonable housing (no more that 2-3 stories. Avoid these massive apartment blocks)., Build them with city owned construction companies (jobs for the locals.). And then sell them back at low mortgage rates to qualified low income families that must pay for and maintain the properties or be booted out. This system would do wonders for places like Detroit, St. Louis and a few others. AOC can come in and show them how to use the garbage disposal.

    leave the burbs alone.

    I was simply pointing out Trump has openly been claiming low income will ruin the suburbs while eliminating protections that largely were implemented to stop discrimination/racial discrimination at the same time.

    I wouldn't expect someone like you to know/understand/acknowledge in any way the issues and history surrounding it in this country for housing discrimination among many other areas. You almost never respond when called out in depth and ignore many questions aimed your way so I am done doing research for you.

    You simply don't care, it's not that others need to show you it is that you will always ignore anything presented for your own little bias/rants. You will always have double standards towards people like Trump compared to AOc/Omar/Maxine. If you start responding and acknowledging when others break down your posts maybe I will do so again but at this point this is all that needs to be said in response as you obviously don't ever actually care.

  3. #3123
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    38,085
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Shai Akabas, the center’s director of economic policy, said that while the share of workers citing the generosity of benefits is small, it amounts to millions of people. The effect is likely to grow if benefits were extended for a long period, he said.


    Under the stimulus law, the median worker has received benefits amounting to 134% of prior pay, University of Chicago researchers found in studying wage-replacement rates.


    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wsj...rk-11596015000




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The median wage in this country has been stagnant for decades. If someone makes more money than they do working for a period of time, that's fine. Its a pandemic where work will be scarce long after unemployment ended last week. This might be people's life line for a while until the economy recovers. The pandemic slowing down or mostly going away (once a vaccine is developed) is not a magic wand either. This isn't some V shaped recovery.

    Its the wrong time to argue being fiscally conservative with 30+ million people out of work. I understand lowering the amount of 600 dollars in addition to regular unemployment but it would be an awful idea to cut down on it significantly and extend it only for another month or two. The economy is not bouncing back that quickly.

  4. #3124
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    Well I can give some reading material I guess just in case

    https://library.cqpress.com/cqresear...srre2015110600

    https://nationalfairhousing.org/wp-c...eport-2015.pdf

    https://nationalfairhousing.org/wp-c...17-FINAL-2.pdf

    https://www.urban.org/features/expos...discrimination

    Then consider all of the ways since late 70's and on we have created massive inequality within wealth as well. If you put multiple issues together you can really start to see a system designed to keep certain people down and not truly give the opportunity this country has long claimed it gives. It is getting better over time and more people being able to acknowledge real issues and how our history has played into the economy/politics/current setting today definitely helps.

  5. #3125
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,509
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I was simply pointing out Trump has openly been claiming low income will ruin the suburbs while eliminating protections that largely were implemented to stop discrimination/racial discrimination at the same time.

    I wouldn't expect someone like you to know/understand/acknowledge in any way the issues and history surrounding it in this country for housing discrimination among many other areas. You almost never respond when called out in depth and ignore many questions aimed your way so I am done doing research for you.

    You simply don't care, it's not that others need to show you it is that you will always ignore anything presented for your own little bias/rants. You will always have double standards towards people like Trump compared to AOc/Omar/Maxine. If you start responding and acknowledging when others break down your posts maybe I will do so again but at this point this is all that needs to be said in response as you obviously don't ever actually care.
    Wrong again.

    If I haven't answered a question, it is because I haven't seen it. Ask away and I will do my best to respond.

    Housing discrimination………it may have existed in the past but is not really the case anymore. While I am sure there are pockets of it around, or the most part, if you can afford something, you can buy it. (Interesting sidelight…I was once denied an apartment because I was Irish [actually probably because I wasn't Italian] It was a 2 family house and the Italian woman wanted an Italian tenant. Anyone who knows Bensonhurst in Brooklyn would understand.)

    RE: Double standards towards people like Trump……I've criticized him numerous times. Especially for the stupid and childish tweets and overly superlative speaking style. Try to pay attention.

    I've also been on record on these boards in support of helping the poor. Again, try to pay more attention. I've also criticized the poor when there was a need to. e.g. several posts describing the fact that public housing that looks like crap wasn't built that way…it became that way from the people who live in them. It doesn't cost anything to be clean, neat and orderly, yet much of public housing isn't. They weren't built with graffiti all over them.

    I am more than in favor of helping those who need help (not so much those who want help and/or expect help. There is a difference.) I've also stated (numerous times) that I regularly donate time and $$$$ to the poor. Probably far more than most people here might think. Where I am admittedly less than sympathetic is for those that get help and do little, if anything, with it.

    Having said all of this…I also admit that other economic classes have a right to exist as they see fit. It they want to spend a substantial amount of $$$$ to move to the suburbs to achieve a certain lifestyle, they should be able to do that without fear that the government will change their existence simply by erecting housing for low income people. I really don't know how you cannot see that.

  6. #3126
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Wrong again.

    If I haven't answered a question, it is because I haven't seen it. Ask away and I will do my best to respond.

    Housing discrimination………it may have existed in the past but is not really the case anymore. While I am sure there are pockets of it around, or the most part, if you can afford something, you can buy it. (Interesting sidelight…I was once denied an apartment because I was Irish [actually probably because I wasn't Italian] It was a 2 family house and the Italian woman wanted an Italian tenant. Anyone who knows Bensonhurst in Brooklyn would understand.)

    RE: Double standards towards people like Trump……I've criticized him numerous times. Especially for the stupid and childish tweets and overly superlative speaking style. Try to pay attention.

    I've also been on record on these boards in support of helping the poor. Again, try to pay more attention. I've also criticized the poor when there was a need to. e.g. several posts describing the fact that public housing that looks like crap wasn't built that way…it became that way from the people who live in them. It doesn't cost anything to be clean, neat and orderly, yet much of public housing isn't. They weren't built with graffiti all over them.

    I am more than in favor of helping those who need help (not so much those who want help and/or expect help. There is a difference.) I've also stated (numerous times) that I regularly donate time and $$$$ to the poor. Probably far more than most people here might think. Where I am admittedly less than sympathetic is for those that get help and do little, if anything, with it.

    Having said all of this…I also admit that other economic classes have a right to exist as they see fit. It they want to spend a substantial amount of $$$$ to move to the suburbs to achieve a certain lifestyle, they should be able to do that without fear that the government will change their existence simply by erecting housing for low income people. I really don't know how you cannot see that.
    I don't believe you, I have actually re quoted it saying you missed it but still nothing in AOC thread with multiple others where you posted same day.

    I just shared links covering much of this. You thinking something is or is not the case means very very little especially against links posted.

    No you don't and in fact ever since you said this same thing in the AOC thread lol. Like I said it is often just you repeating the same nonsense/rants that have been covered plenty of times thread to thread. You never are concerned with his civility/lying/ignorance and take massive leaps to go after AOC/Omar/Maxine. You go out of your way to defend one like here and also go out of your way to attack others like bringing up Maxine (or the others in the various other threads). You literally ignore my posts, ignore the 2nd one, claim you never saw it then tell me to pay attention as you rant the same nonsense lol. This is why I don't think you are being genuine.

    Stop telling me to pay more attention and you seem to have issues with poor people more often than not from what I have seen.

    I don't think you are for helping those in need, I think you think we should help certain people and ignore massive issues in this country then call it a day without ever acknowledging facts/data/science and often relying on simply your thoughts often going against it. You make the assumptions people do little or nothing with "help" you also assume they get, I agree that happens a lot.

    Other economic classes? Are you saying that there is one dominant one and others should "fit in"?

  7. #3127
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    14,070
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    The median wage in this country has been stagnant for decades. If someone makes more money than they do working for a period of time, that's fine. Its a pandemic where work will be scarce long after unemployment ended last week. This might be people's life line for a while until the economy recovers. The pandemic slowing down or mostly going away (once a vaccine is developed) is not a magic wand either. This isn't some V shaped recovery.

    Its the wrong time to argue being fiscally conservative with 30+ million people out of work. I understand lowering the amount of 600 dollars in addition to regular unemployment but it would be an awful idea to cut down on it significantly and extend it only for another month or two. The economy is not bouncing back that quickly.
    When this pandemic first started and businesses were being shut down, the assumption was that the large numbers of unemployed would not only be temporary but was 'inflated' because, for the first time, self-employed were allowed to apply. Sounded right at the time...only it didn't last 2 months.

    Now we have thousands of businesses completely going under....so not only are those business owners no longer providing jobs, they themselves need one, too. And even if there's another round of PPP money, many more businesses will go under by year's end.

    But people want to raise the minimum wage...or just wages in general. THAT money has to come from somewhere, too. If I'm a small business owner and am forced to raise wages because the minimum wage is increased, I likely have to raise the cost of my services or the price of my product to cover it....so how much do we gain? If I make an extra $100/week but my cost of living goes up $100/week, I'm actually losing in the deal.

    It's like friends have heard me say re health insurance for years- instead of focusing on trying to keep the cost of insurance reasonable, let's figure out why health care costs so much in the first place. We're just continually chasing our tail if we continue the endless cycles we have.
    Last edited by SiteWolf; 07-29-2020 at 05:07 PM.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  8. #3128
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,509
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Well I can give some reading material I guess just in case

    https://library.cqpress.com/cqresear...srre2015110600

    https://nationalfairhousing.org/wp-c...eport-2015.pdf

    https://nationalfairhousing.org/wp-c...17-FINAL-2.pdf

    https://www.urban.org/features/expos...discrimination

    Then consider all of the ways since late 70's and on we have created massive inequality within wealth as well. If you put multiple issues together you can really start to see a system designed to keep certain people down and not truly give the opportunity this country has long claimed it gives. It is getting better over time and more people being able to acknowledge real issues and how our history has played into the economy/politics/current setting today definitely helps.
    Most of what you are saying has some truth to it.

    But no system is designed to keep certain people down. You make it sound like there's a room full of rich guys smoking cigars and drinking brandy plotting to "keep people down." That's just absurd. Society keeps moving and you have to find a way to move with it. A lot of people do not do that so well anymore,

    My parents never went to high school and got by. Many in my generation never went to college and got by. Today you need a masters degree in certain areas to get by. Things keep moving. You have to move with it or get left behind. Many in the lower classes seem reluctant to do that. Many of the programs designed to help them, do more harm than good.

    The bad news…it's probably going to get worse.

  9. #3129
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Posts
    6,509
    Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    I don't believe you, I have actually re quoted it saying you missed it but still nothing in AOC thread with multiple others where you posted same day.

    I just shared links covering much of this. You thinking something is or is not the case means very very little especially against links posted.

    No you don't and in fact ever since you said this same thing in the AOC thread lol. Like I said it is often just you repeating the same nonsense/rants that have been covered plenty of times thread to thread. You never are concerned with his civility/lying/ignorance and take massive leaps to go after AOC/Omar/Maxine. You go out of your way to defend one like here and also go out of your way to attack others like bringing up Maxine (or the others in the various other threads). You literally ignore my posts, ignore the 2nd one, claim you never saw it then tell me to pay attention as you rant the same nonsense lol. This is why I don't think you are being genuine.

    Stop telling me to pay more attention and you seem to have issues with poor people more often than not from what I have seen.

    I don't think you are for helping those in need, I think you think we should help certain people and ignore massive issues in this country then call it a day without ever acknowledging facts/data/science and often relying on simply your thoughts often going against it. You make the assumptions people do little or nothing with "help" you also assume they get, I agree that happens a lot.

    Other economic classes? Are you saying that there is one dominant one and others should "fit in"?
    Bolded……OK, so I guess we're done.

  10. #3130
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Most of what you are saying has some truth to it.

    But no system is designed to keep certain people down. You make it sound like there's a room full of rich guys smoking cigars and drinking brandy plotting to "keep people down." That's just absurd. Society keeps moving and you have to find a way to move with it. A lot of people do not do that so well anymore,

    My parents never went to high school and got by. Many in my generation never went to college and got by. Today you need a masters degree in certain areas to get by. Things keep moving. You have to move with it or get left behind. Many in the lower classes seem reluctant to do that. Many of the programs designed to help them, do more harm than good.

    The bad news…it's probably going to get worse.
    Sometimes is a system is designed to do that actually.

    Not everyone has the same access to opportunity in this country to good housing/education/healthcare and even to the extent law enforcement may have gone over the top and broken up their homes even. War on drugs ring a bell?

    It only gets worse so long as there is a chunk of people living in denial and supporting politicians like Trump trying to further divide our country and prevent progress.

  11. #3131
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Bolded……OK, so I guess we're done.
    This is only proving that it is pointless to respond to you and your insane rants are simply that and nothing else, thanks. I knew once I went in depth it would happen again with you.

  12. #3132
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    34,352
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    You’re full of **** like usual!



    And I have a problem when on average people are making 134% more than what they did prior to the pandemic by staying home AND the democrats want to extend this until end of the year even though everything is pretty much open right now.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The higher ups got their handouts, isnt time we get the crumbs they left behind?

    Or is that too much?

    I like how Dumb **** Donald blows $5 trillion that could have easily been saved if he understood very simple and basic principles of science, and his side supports that but then opposes regular american workers getting a piece of the handout.

    Brainwash much?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  13. #3133
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Posts
    10,822
    I mean partisan politics/politicians in general are a reason our response is what it is. If everyone around Trump all agreed that's one thing but this is moreso exposing the overall group of politicians being partisan/focused on "winning" and not knowing what to do when actual policy/action is needed.

    Trump is the "leader" or best example often but we can't ignore that he is the result/product not the other way around. He is not the cause.

  14. #3134
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    14,070
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    The higher ups got their handouts, isnt time we get the crumbs they left behind?

    Or is that too much?

    I like how Dumb **** Donald blows $5 trillion that could have easily been saved if he understood very simple and basic principles of science, and his side supports that but then opposes regular american workers getting a piece of the handout.

    Brainwash much?

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    I don't care what he did...or we did....some of that money was going to be necessary regardless.
    The only question is one we'll never be able to answer...how much of it

    I haven't seen him opposing any part of the unemployment package or stim checks, tho, have you?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  15. #3135
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Posts
    73,916
    Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Not sure what your point is?????
    He wants to keep poor people down rather than lifting poor people up.

    Just like the conservatives here are doing crying up a storm about the damn poors making decent money from unemployment in the midst of a once-in-a-lifetime pandemic.

    He also is advocating for segregation. Which is, you know...bad. I figured if I was sarcastic you'd think about it for one second but I'll be safe and explain it to you.
    HELLO

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •