Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 12 of 165 FirstFirst ... 210111213142262112 ... LastLast
Results 166 to 180 of 2461
  1. #166
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    12,147
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think the stimulus is supposed to make money available to businesses so they can expand their services. I mentioned somewhere that the local animal feed place is offering free same day delivery with no minimum. The grocery stores are all overwhelmed so they can't really solve that issue without putting more people at risk. Maybe if they did the filling of orders after hours.
    That would be a reasonable thing to do. Have a fleet of people working after hours to get orders ready so the focus can be on delivery during main hours.

    Would probably just need portable large refrigeration units or cold trucks that would keep food from going bad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yankees Farm System

  2. #167
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    17,309
    Quote Originally Posted by DeW-Star View Post
    That would be a reasonable thing to do. Have a fleet of people working after hours to get orders ready so the focus can be on delivery during main hours.

    Would probably just need portable large refrigeration units or cold trucks that would keep food from going bad.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Some restaurants in rural areas around me (or even in Annapolis city where there really isn't a grocery store "downtown") are selling produce and meats by the pound or in packages (five lemons, two steaks, etc.). They are making pretty good money off of that. Any way to keep people employed and working is good in my book. Plenty of places could partner with super markets to deliver food, or even help them with their online ordering capacity.

  3. #168
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Easy to say. Different when a lawyer sends you a letter.

    I'm just saying. I ain't tryina side against young Scoots.
    And I'm saying the "avoiding lawsuits" is a ****** way to run things, and is very often an unnecessary over-reach. Like if you sued Coca-Cola for getting a bottle stuck up you because they made the shape too alluring, what would happen? It would get thrown out of court. The country put reasonable protections around the train tracks which kids ignored ... when a kid gets hurt ignoring the warnings the lawsuits usually don't even make it to court.

  4. #169
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    A case against Fox will lose. It wonít stop someone from filing it and maybe even be granted standing.
    I agree.

  5. #170
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Iím not sure if anybodyís brought this up but closing down liquor stores would cause absolute pandemonium.

    Imagine how many people are dependent on alcohol in this country and how many people use it as a coping mechanism. Close down liquor stores for a day and some people could go into withdrawal and possibly die as a result of not getting their fix. Or some guy might just be all chemically imbalanced due to his lack of alcohol that he does some stupid **** to get his fix.

    Drugs are essential. Whether thatís tobacco, alcohol, caffeine, or marijuana, people quite literally need their fix or it will ruin them.
    I agree it would be crazy, but there are a lot of things people REALLY want that they usually do a lot of that they can't do right now. I knew some skaters who would go crazy if they were not allowed to skate. One of my daughters slowly loses her mind if she doesn't go somewhere, so I'm trying to find something we can do out of the house daily (usually a walk, but lately a drive to a walk).

  6. #171
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,449
    We are not testing enough people. I really donít understand how this isnít the first, second and third priority.

    https://apple.news/AWpg6dtyiToec3MXPFsbBjQ

  7. #172
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Yeah, as much as I don't do any of that stuff, you've got an extremely valid point. And now is not the time to force people to part with it by force.
    I was a little surprised there wasn't a run on booze too, but the stock never seemed to go down much.

  8. #173
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Some restaurants in rural areas around me (or even in Annapolis city where there really isn't a grocery store "downtown") are selling produce and meats by the pound or in packages (five lemons, two steaks, etc.). They are making pretty good money off of that. Any way to keep people employed and working is good in my book. Plenty of places could partner with super markets to deliver food, or even help them with their online ordering capacity.
    Careful, lines like "any way to keep people employed and working" makes you a denier.

  9. #174
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Brooklyn New York
    Posts
    21,347
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I agree it would be crazy, but there are a lot of things people REALLY want that they usually do a lot of that they can't do right now. I knew some skaters who would go crazy if they were not allowed to skate. One of my daughters slowly loses her mind if she doesn't go somewhere, so I'm trying to find something we can do out of the house daily (usually a walk, but lately a drive to a walk).
    Physiological dependency is different from simply wanting to do something. These people quite literally need their alcohol and virtually nothing else will satisfy that craving - unless itís another hard drug. Iím like your daughter, Iíve been losing my mind this entire quarantine because I canít go somewhere but there are ways to work around that. Alcohol, not so much.

    I get the comparison youíre making but a kid wanting to go to the skate park can always just stay home and play video games instead. An alcoholic will probably need some coffee, a cigarette, or something else to give them a fix.

    Unless a kid who canít go to the skate park only goes to the park because he has nothing else to do at home and dislikes his family then well, thatís an entirely different issue Iíve brought up earlier in this thread.

    The mental health aspect is huge behind all of this. Iím one of those people who doesnít really get along with their family and Ramadan is coming up. Iíve told stories here about how my family presses religion on me (despite me being very clearly atheist) and well, 30 days of quarantine and 30 days of forced fasting, donít be surprised if I go insane by the time May is over lol.

    Sorry for ranting but not all of us are lucky to be doing whatever we want with whoever we want during this quarantine. I get wanting to have access to all of these things, probably better than anyone.
    If Trump can become president with no political background then I don't understand why I need a resumť

  10. #175
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    17,309
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Careful, lines like "any way to keep people employed and working" makes you a denier.
    I firmly believe that there were some businesses that should've been given the opportunity to adapt and run their business according to CDC guidelines, but alas, people wouldn't listen to the original quarantine orders so the governors had to issue stay at home/shelter in place orders. But I'm not denying that we have huge steps to make before things are normal again.

  11. #176
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by GasMan View Post
    We are not testing enough people. I really donít understand how this isnít the first, second and third priority.

    https://apple.news/AWpg6dtyiToec3MXPFsbBjQ
    I think it started with the CDC test (sourced from Germany I think) failing in their labs, then a bunch of regulations slowed down the response to that, and is still slowing it down some, now it's more that it's really hard to go from manufacturing 0 of anything to millions in a week or a month, add to that that a lot of supplies come from China so it's not just doing the last bit that is taking time people are having to ramp up production all the way down the line.

    I think the fact that we have hundreds of people trying to make the tests may be slowing it down some too since all those tests need to be tested too, and different labs are coming up with different solutions so they can't just be rubber stamped.

    Another factor is that the first successful tests were slow and were really painful for some people to take which lead to alternatives being looked for rather than just going with "Right, let's get 100 million of these!"

    Another factor is probably the Chinese sourced tests failing by the millions causing the CDC/FDA to slow down and make the testing more thorough.

    Another factor is that the global supply chain, including supplies from the US went to the places hit hard first (including China) which put us behind from the start.

    Just in time manufacturing also means that worldwide we don't have much of anything in stock beyond what is normally ordered, and ramping up is very limited, and with a paper thin supply it empties out essentially instantly at the start.

    It's kind of a cluster.
    Last edited by Scoots; 04-19-2020 at 10:38 PM.

  12. #177
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by Zmaster52 View Post
    Physiological dependency is different from simply wanting to do something. These people quite literally need their alcohol and virtually nothing else will satisfy that craving - unless itís another hard drug. Iím like your daughter, Iíve been losing my mind this entire quarantine because I canít go somewhere but there are ways to work around that. Alcohol, not so much.

    I get the comparison youíre making but a kid wanting to go to the skate park can always just stay home and play video games instead. An alcoholic will probably need some coffee, a cigarette, or something else to give them a fix.

    Unless a kid who canít go to the skate park only goes to the park because he has nothing else to do at home and dislikes his family then well, thatís an entirely different issue Iíve brought up earlier in this thread.

    The mental health aspect is huge behind all of this. Iím one of those people who doesnít really get along with their family and Ramadan is coming up. Iíve told stories here about how my family presses religion on me (despite me being very clearly atheist) and well, 30 days of quarantine and 30 days of forced fasting, donít be surprised if I go insane by the time May is over lol.

    Sorry for ranting but not all of us are lucky to be doing whatever we want with whoever we want during this quarantine. I get wanting to have access to all of these things, probably better than anyone.
    True, but we're not limiting it to just people with dependency which would certainly be safer wouldn't it?

    I've lived with someone through Ramadan and that was a pretty tense time do you have my sympathies.

    This place is MADE for ranting

  13. #178
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,376
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    I firmly believe that there were some businesses that should've been given the opportunity to adapt and run their business according to CDC guidelines, but alas, people wouldn't listen to the original quarantine orders so the governors had to issue stay at home/shelter in place orders. But I'm not denying that we have huge steps to make before things are normal again.
    I was joking ... hope you know.

    Yeah, I think quite a few businesses could have continued with caution in place, but like pregnant women and wine ... it's good in small measures but REALLY bad in big measures so we just say NO, and women who are pregnant who drink in public get shouted down.

    We live in a very shallow society.

  14. #179
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Where the smog meets the shore
    Posts
    49,341
    Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    NYT is blaming Hannity for a death from the virus.


    https://twitter.com/comfortablysmug/...117807621?s=21

    Read that thread


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    But no issue with Fox, all the dangerous misinformation shared on here and how they handled this huh

    Cool find though. Totally equal.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  15. #180
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    3,449
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think it started with the CDC test (sourced from Germany I think) failing in their labs, then a bunch of regulations slowed down the response to that, and is still slowing it down some, now it's more that it's really hard to go from manufacturing 0 of anything to millions in a week or a month, add to that that a lot of supplies come from China so it's not just doing the last bit that is taking time people are having to ramp up production all the way down the line.

    I think the fact that we have hundreds of people trying to make the tests may be slowing it down some too since all those tests need to be tested too, and different labs are coming up with different solutions so they can't just be rubber stamped.

    Another factor is that the first successful tests were slow and were really painful for some people to take which lead to alternatives being looked for rather than just going with "Right, let's get 100 million of these!"

    Another factor is probably the Chinese sourced tests failing by the millions causing the CDC/FDA to slow down and make the testing more thorough.

    Another factor is that the global supply chain, including supplies from the US went to the places hit hard first (including China) which put us behind from the start.

    Just in time manufacturing also means that worldwide we don't have much of anything in stock beyond what is normally ordered, and ramping up is very limited, and with a paper thin supply it empties out essentially instantly at the start.

    It's kind of a cluster.
    I get all of that. Why canít we be better than that though? This is the least political part of this entire situation. More testing improves knowledge, saves lives and gets us off lock down. Any media member who has been fretting about the effect this is having on the economy should be yelling at the Whitehouse about why we havenít increased testing at all in the last almost three weeks. And why arenít we testing the right people? Until we can get testing to a reasonable level, we should stop verifying those who are recognizably sick and start testing the people who are likely to be spreading Covid, we continue to be reacting and not being proactive.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •