Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

A new idea on election processes

This is out there no question. I got it from a Malcolm Gladwell piece who saw it from https://democracyinpractice.org/

- All people who want a position send in a single page essay as to why they should get the position.
    - A group of citizens eliminate the bottom half or 2/3rds of the submissions on eligibility and quality of the essay
    - The election is a lottery from the remaining people until all positions are filled.

That's it.

No.

I love the idea for students. Itís very little league like where youíre reaching many and teaching concepts and skills needed to succeed.

To actually run a government? No. Too much process for likely little improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by debo View Post
    No.

I love the idea for students. Itís very little league like where youíre reaching many and teaching concepts and skills needed to succeed.

To actually run a government? No. Too much process for likely little improvement.
    I like it, in part because decades ago I read somewhere that the only people who should be eligible for political office should be people who don't want it and this reminds me of it.

And the stakes of the election don't seem to make a difference. Basically educated careful voters still get it wrong most of the time so lets take them out of it.

Well you are absolutely right. it is out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Sluggo1 View Post
    Well you are absolutely right. it is out there.
    It would absolutely end the career politician

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    It would absolutely end the career politician
    I prefer your idea of flooding the house and senate. I wouldn't go quite as far, but I think it would have a bigger impact.

Under this proposal I foresee an entire political industry of ghost writers to write these essays in order to ensure their candidate is considered.

What if we just don't vote for demagogues who think the fact that more people voting must mean the process is criminal or illegitimate?
    Prior to 11/1/19: if you were on my ignore list, I was sticking to ignoring you thanks to great advise.
    From 11/1/19 on: I will no longer be responding to comments back to people on my ignore list.
    _____

Think long and hard about why you respond to nonsense. Please!

Quote Originally Posted by benny01 View Post
    I prefer your idea of flooding the house and senate. I wouldn't go quite as far, but I think it would have a bigger impact.
    We can dream of doing both.

I think the lottery method would result in essentially every person being a rookie the vast majority of the time which would be great for corruption too.

The negative being that rookies don't know where the bodies are buried or how things get done, but that's a good thing too maybe.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Under this proposal I foresee an entire political industry of ghost writers to write these essays in order to ensure their candidate is considered.
    So, let's say 2000 people send in essays for your congressional district and the "chosen" essays are 50%. The person who gets the job would still be 1 in 1000. Don't know how much money someone can make for that single page of writing.

Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    What if we just don't vote for demagogues who think the fact that more people voting must mean the process is criminal or illegitimate?
    Well since this is obviously not about Trump what if we leave that walking ***-hat out of it entirely?

So, let's say 2000 people send in essays for your congressional district and the "chosen" essays are 50%. The person who gets the job would still be 1 in 1000. Don't know how much money someone can make for that single page of writing.
    What voter is going to read 2,000 essays?

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    What voter is going to read 2,000 essays?
    I think you missed the point. Anyone who wants a spot can apply, every position has a council who eliminate the ones who are ineligible and who eliminate themselves by having terrible essays. The rest are put in a bowl and a name is pulled. There are no votes (or voters for that matter) involved. If the position is President there could be a "bowl" of 70k names and one would be randomly chosen.

I think you missed the point. Anyone who wants a spot can apply, every position has a council who eliminate the ones who are ineligible and who eliminate themselves by having terrible essays. The rest are put in a bowl and a name is pulled. There are no votes (or voters for that matter) involved. If the position is President there could be a "bowl" of 70k names and one would be randomly chosen.
    Well thatís definitely not Democratic lol.

I get the concept, but I donít think we should leave these types of positions up to chance.

A new idea on election processes

Whoever can bench the most should be President. Then 2nd place is VP and all the way down through the government. No idea why this wasnít discussed 245 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast