Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 431 of 558 FirstFirst ... 331381421429430431432433441481531 ... LastLast
Results 6,451 to 6,465 of 8370
  1. #6451
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,225
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Churches always think theyíre above the law. They think that they are the only law. We need to work to correct that thinking.
    And what exactly thinking do you think needs your correcting? Can you even come up with a situation where churches 'think they're above the law'? And I don't mean picking out some outlier instances of personal misconduct
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  2. #6452
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,225
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Yet you can't provide a single one?
    Can't? lol there's a difference between can't and didn't...
    but if I were to list Bible verses about the power of gathering together or the spiritual importance of taking holy communion, etc, you'd just refute it anyway
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  3. #6453
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,485
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Doesn't make it any less essential. Restaurants operate with proper protocol intact, so can places of worship.
    For one, I have always found eating and drinking to be more essential than singing praises to entities I have never seen, heard, touched, smelled, or tasted.

    Also, the functioning restaurants in my community employ scores of people and pay taxes. The churches, on the other hand, are less beneficial to the local economy [EDIT] and in all likelihood a net drain.
    Last edited by Crovash; 11-28-2020 at 10:37 AM.

  4. #6454
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,225
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    For one, I have always found eating and drinking to be more essential than singing praises to entities I have never seen, heard, touched, smelled, or tasted.

    Also, the functioning restaurants in my community employ scores of people and pay taxes. The churches, on the other hand, are less beneficial to the local economy [EDIT] and in all likelihood a net drain.
    you're not making an equal comparison

    yes, eating and drinking is essential...is it essential for it to be done in a restaurant?
    I would suggest I am losing less eating at home vs a restaurant than I am worshiping at home and not at a church.

    Now we're going to make it an economic question, too? OK, so what's the economic benefit of housing a food bank? Giving out free meals? Offering shelter or refuge?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  5. #6455
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,485
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    you're not making an equal comparison

    yes, eating and drinking is essential...is it essential for it to be done in a restaurant?
    My point exactly. People who need ďspiritual foodĒ can do it at home just as well. Wasnít it Jesus who said,

    ďAnd when you pray, you must not be like the hypocrites. For they love to stand and pray in the synagogues and at the street corners, that they may be seen by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you pray, go into your room and shut the door and pray to your Father who is in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.ď

    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Iwould suggest I am losing less eating at home vs a restaurant than I am worshiping at home and not at a church.
    Irrelevant.

    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Now we're going to make it an economic question, too? OK, so what's the economic benefit of housing a food bank? Giving out free meals? Offering shelter or refuge?
    Zero, since they donít do that in my town.

    Even so, if you are talking about their financial support for those operations ó or for that matter enlisting volunteers to man those operation ó you simply cannot make a cogent argument that there is a need to congregate for an hour or two on Saturday or Sunday in order to do so.

    Funny sidenote. One of the restaurants in my community used to be a church.

  6. #6456
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,225
    The question wasn't whether one could worship at home, the question was whether eating in a restaurant was any more or less essential than worshiping in a group. So no, I don't see it irrelevant that I think worshiping in a group is of more importance than eating in public.

    The fact that you don't see your local churches' community outreach doesn't mean they don't exist. You're also tying 2 different things together- you were talking about the economic benefit a restaurant provides vs those a church provides. A church is far more than just the Sunday morning service you think should not be happening. I'm simply showing a church provides more to the community than you're giving them credit for and can follow CDC protocols even more than a restaurant can.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  7. #6457
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,485
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    The question wasn't whether one could worship at home, the question was whether eating in a restaurant was any more or less essential than worshiping in a group. So no, I don't see it irrelevant that I think worshiping in a group is of more importance than eating in public.

    The fact that you don't see your local churches' community outreach doesn't mean they don't exist. You're also tying 2 different things together- you were talking about the economic benefit a restaurant provides vs those a church provides. A church is far more than just the Sunday morning service you think should not be happening. I'm simply showing a church provides more to the community than you're giving them credit for and can follow CDC protocols even more than a restaurant can.
    I am arguing about whether worship services are essential vis a vis restaurants (the SCOTUS decision).

    EDIT: see my post #6428, which was my starting point in this aspect of the discussion.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    Congregating in churches, synagogues, mosques, and covens is simply not essential.
    So, while we are both arguing about what is essential, my interest focuses on a specific practice related to churches.

    Churches, synagogues, and mosques can do their essential outreach services ó either by means of financial support or volunteerism ó without congregating.

    And, if we want to go bigger picture as the discussion has evolved recently, I am happy to argue that the economic benefits must be factored in in determining utility.

    The ministers, pastors, priests, rabbis, and imams are going to have jobs. In short, these institutions can survive in the short run without worship services.

    Restaurants cannot survive without patrons on site or picking up take-out. Lots of people potentially lose their jobs (which may have a snowball effect on donations to institutions like churches). The town loses tax revenue.

    Bottom line: the faithful can do their thing at home. Man might not live by bread alone, but in my book, itís a whole lot better starting point than worship.
    Last edited by Crovash; 11-28-2020 at 12:33 PM.

  8. #6458
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    America
    Posts
    95,927
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    The question wasn't whether one could worship at home, the question was whether eating in a restaurant was any more or less essential than worshiping in a group. So no, I don't see it irrelevant that I think worshiping in a group is of more importance than eating in public.

    The fact that you don't see your local churches' community outreach doesn't mean they don't exist. You're also tying 2 different things together- you were talking about the economic benefit a restaurant provides vs those a church provides. A church is far more than just the Sunday morning service you think should not be happening. I'm simply showing a church provides more to the community than you're giving them credit for and can follow CDC protocols even more than a restaurant can.
    Eating is far more essential. Also you eat with people know you know rather than some random person. So itís safer to go to a restaurant than a church.

    Providing community is exactly what we donít need when we have a highly infectious disease. It is literally harmful.

  9. #6459
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,225
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Eating is far more essential. Also you eat with people know you know rather than some random person. So itís safer to go to a restaurant than a church.

    Providing community is exactly what we donít need when we have a highly infectious disease. It is literally harmful.
    you continue to show how clueless you are on this subject

    As I've already said, eating IN A RESTAURANT is no more essential than attending a worship service- you can eat at home, you can worship at home.

    You think people are for some reason sitting with random people vs people they know at a worship service?! They're, in fact, more likely to know even the people they're sitting near, let alone with, than they are at a restaurant.

    Providing food for the needy is exactly what we don't need, you say. Nice. Pretty sure that's been going on a lot across the country for months, now. Good to know you think that a bad idea.
    And talk of community outreach was simply a mechanism to show a church's economic viability anyway.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #6460
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    8,485
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    you continue to show how clueless you are on this subject

    As I've already said, eating IN A RESTAURANT is no more essential than attending a worship service- you can eat at home, you can worship at home.

    You think people are for some reason sitting with random people vs people they know at a worship service?! They're, in fact, more likely to know even the people they're sitting near, let alone with, than they are at a restaurant.

    Providing food for the needy is exactly what we don't need, you say. Nice. Pretty sure that's been going on a lot across the country for months, now. Good to know you think that a bad idea.

    And talk of community outreach was simply a mechanism to show a church's economic viability anyway.
    I cannot answer for him, but I believe that I have demonstrated that allowing people to congregate in a restaurant to eat and drink is more economically essential than allowing people to congregate in a church or the like in order to worship, pray, sing ó whatever.

    Yes, both can be done at home. And both should be done at home under certain public health circumstances.

    But the economic effect of people not going to restaurants to eat is certainly more immediate and potentially more harmful than people not going to church to worship. And this is especially true if you consider the possible domino effect (the cook in the restaurant attends the local church with her husband and they regularly contribute financially to the church, and the churchís food bank. In addition, her husband volunteers at the soup kitchen. She loses her job...you get my point).

  11. #6461
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mile High
    Posts
    17,744
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    yes, eating and drinking is essential...is it essential for it to be done in a restaurant?
    I would suggest I am losing less eating at home vs a restaurant than I am worshiping at home and not at a church
    I would suggest those are exactly the same situations. Both can be done from home just fine. Both can be done outdoors in secure settings. Just treat them the same.

    We can't eat in a restaurant but I could attend a church service if I did that kind of thing. That isn't fair at all.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><>
    <><><><>

  12. #6462
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,370
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Can't? lol there's a difference between can't and didn't...
    but if I were to list Bible verses about the power of gathering together or the spiritual importance of taking holy communion, etc, you'd just refute it anyway
    I'm well aware that there's a difference between "can't" and "won't". Either way about it, you sure sidestepped the very simple question I asked you (and continue to avoid giving a straight answer).

    So again, I'll ask you: what are churches not being allowed to do that other non-essential establishments are being allowed to do? I know taking holy communion (or anything like it) isn't one of them. In fact, that "answer" is an obvious shifting of the goalposts....which is exactly what I was expecting you to do.

  13. #6463
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,370
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    The question wasn't whether one could worship at home, the question was whether eating in a restaurant was any more or less essential than worshiping in a group. So no, I don't see it irrelevant that I think worshiping in a group is of more importance than eating in public.
    Are you trying to claim that you can't successfully worship as a group via video or audio chat? Obviously it's not exactly the same as in person group worship but it's a very reasonable alternative.

    Not to mention, that at least in my area, restaurants are functioning as dine in outside at a distance or to go only currently. The way I see it, both restaurants and churches should be able to operate outdoors and at a distance. Winter makes it tougher but things are tough for most everyone during a deadly, worldwide pandemic.

    It's seeming more and more to me that you simply believe the church deserves special privileges during these times.

  14. #6464
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    15,225
    Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    I'm well aware that there's a difference between "can't" and "won't". Either way about it, you sure sidestepped the very simple question I asked you (and continue to avoid giving a straight answer).

    So again, I'll ask you: what are churches not being allowed to do that other non-essential establishments are being allowed to do? I know taking holy communion (or anything like it) isn't one of them. In fact, that "answer" is an obvious shifting of the goalposts....which is exactly what I was expecting you to do.
    I sidestepped nothing. The conversation has gotten convoluted with things like economic impact and whether people know who they're sitting by for cripes sake. The original discussion that I joined in on was the SCOTUS decision that didn't allow NY to restrict churches MORE than other businesses. I'm not the one that said they were being allowed to do less; that, in fact, was the point of the decision.

    If you want to call answering mutliple questions from multiple directions while attempting to compare religious facilities directly with the quite different dynamics of other businesses moving goalposts, then play on.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  15. #6465
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    55,370
    Quote Originally Posted by dbroncos78087 View Post
    Eating is far more essential. Also you eat with people know you know rather than some random person. So itís safer to go to a restaurant than a church.

    Providing community is exactly what we donít need when we have a highly infectious disease. It is literally harmful.
    Nothing wrong with providing an online community though; which these churches are more than capable of doing.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •