Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

#1 Recruit to forego college, play in G-League

High school senior Jalen Green has signed to play in the NBA G League next season, league President Shareef Abdur-Rahim announced today. Green is ranked by ESPN as the No. 1 basketball recruit in the Class of 2020.
    https://www.nba.com/article/2020/04/...ficial-release

Isaiah Todd has decommitted from U of Mich and is expected to also go to the G-League.

Good... NCAA wonít like it tho

Surprised more guys don't go this route to get a paycheck rather than going to college.

Good do away with one and done. Kids arenít going to do one year of college ball when they can get paid and still develop without having to go international.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Surprised more guys don't go this route to get a paycheck rather than going to college.
    The #1 response as to why players didn't do this prior was that the pay was too low. The NBA increased the contract from $125K to $500K for top prospects.

This may be a hot take, it may not, the the one-and-done rule was a major bust.....but not because it prevented people from making money.

It was a bust because the standards for jumping from HS to NBA was much higher before the one-and-done rule was put in place. It was very hard to be considered a top draft pick when doing so (and didn't only 3 HS players ever go #1?). It has also made the NBA a worse overall product and the draft an even bigger crapshoot than it was before. The one-and-done has lead a lot more players to leave school earlier than previous standards, they come in far less developed, and either don't get the development time necessary or they end up getting underwhelming second contracts.

I do think what the NBA sorta needs is more of your Ja Morant, Donovan Mitchell, Damian Lillard, Steph Curry, Draymond Green type success stories. The guys who stayed in school longer and really benefited from it. Teams and evaluators need a reason to tell some of these one-and-done players "You aren't ready. Look at these guys come in and light it up. You aren't ready to do that. Your game isn't at their level when they came in." But instead they are too intrigued in the potential talent they have. But that's where the NBA is the "red headed step child" of draft and development. There is no minor leagues (MLB, NHL) that a player can get playing time and work on skills, it's not a large number of players and rotationally easier to develop (NFL). The NBA is very individual talent based (like the MLB), but still has a high enough 'team element' (like the NHL) to where they can't have someone that doesn't have the skillset to help everyone yet be out there.

So more success stories from those that stayed an extra year or two, a few more 'bust' stories of one-and-done, and removing the rule to get back to the "you really need to be talented to do this" could really impact the NBA.

If it were any other "normal" season, I may be more shocked but with the state of the world, its not all that shocking, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    If it were any other "normal" season, I may be more shocked but with the state of the world, its not all that shocking, imo.
    True. And I think how they fair will impact how this goes in the future. Remember Brandon Jennings and that other US player (I can't remember his name, went to Israel to play) and everyone thought the one and dones would just be going overseas instead, then it ended up likely doing more harm than good to their careers. I think if these guys do well, this might become more common, but if they bust to some degree, guys might avoid this some.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    The #1 response as to why players didn't do this prior was that the pay was too low. The NBA increased the contract from $125K to $500K for top prospects.
    $125k isnt cheap either though. But ya for half a mill I bet we see a lot more guys go this route now.

$125k isnt cheap either though. But ya for half a mill I bet we see a lot more guys go this route now.
    Guys get paid in the NCAA anyway, so $125k prolly is pretty low in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    True. And I think how they fair will impact how this goes in the future. Remember Brandon Jennings and that other US player (I can't remember his name, went to Israel to play) and everyone thought the one and dones would just be going overseas instead, then it ended up likely doing more harm than good to their careers. I think if these guys do well, this might become more common, but if they bust to some degree, guys might avoid this some.
    The rule is going away in a couple seasons anyway, so it won't be that huge of a deal.

But the reason its going away because there is so much corruption in the NCAA, the NBA said nah you all fumbled that, we're taking control back. You can only have so many scandals before its like yeah forget what they're doing that way.

Changes have been made recently to support players going this route. I suspect we will see more and more do it.

im interested in seeing how all this is going to work... what team he goes to, will the team purposely manipulate his draft stock, ect... if anybody has some insight on how itll all work, that would be awesome.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    im interested in seeing how all this is going to work... what team he goes to, will the team purposely manipulate his draft stock, ect... if anybody has some insight on how itll all work, that would be awesome.
    Maybe the draft rules get re-worked and a team would have to draft him and assign him to a G League affiliate?
    HOW DO YOU LIKE ME NOW?

Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Guys get paid in the NCAA anyway, so $125k prolly is pretty low in comparison.
    Exactly. We now know top college basketball recruits are getting paid somewhere over $125,000 but somewhere below $500,000.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast