Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Defensive scheme! Thought?

I figured I would start this thread, just to get my frustration out there. When the Lions hired Patricia ( a defensive genius ), I thought “Great! Finally someone who will take the players we have and use their skill set to put them in the best situations to succeed”. But as we all know, Patricia brought his 3-3-5 scheme from the Patriots. And he’s been bringing in guys from NE, or other players who have played in similar schemes, or players who have a skillset that can work in his scheme. Logically, I can understand why the coach would do this. I just thought, that if you were a defensive genius, you would run whatever is best for the roster that you have. Whether that be 4-3, 3-4, 3-3, 4-2. Or even running some zone coverages, rather than always press-man. I mean, I have heard that analysts think Chase Young does not fit into the defense, because we already have a defensive end in Flowers ( yes I sais “a” DE ). And Chase Young would not make a great jack linebacker. Well, the last time I checked, a four-man front has been run for many years by so many teams and will continue to be run with four-man fronts. So, what is the issue? So, I have come to the conclusion that the only reason Patricia is called a genius is because he has a degree in rocket science or something like that? Not because he’s an actual defensive guru. I look forward to your responses. 🤔👀🙈

I do think Chase could play the Jack LB here. He may not have coverage skills right away be he has enough flexibility, bend, speed, and power to stand up and down. Plus he wouldn't always need to set the edge with Trey Flowers and Da'Shawn Hand at the "end" spots.

As for the scheme, contain and cover can work but you need the personal to pull it off. If the personal is below average you need to support it with pressure, either manufactured or natural. The Lions have yet to show any of the three options are presently available on the roster. They have talent yes, but not enough to run the scheme to its full potential. It does get harder though as teams are abandoning the run more and more focusing more on the efficient passing game. You're slower linebackers are exposed in coverage putting even more demand on the safeties and corners to be perfect. They also keep going cheap on CB #2 furthering the lame duck coverage. I guess what I am saying is I think it could work but management seems content on just treading water with barely above average replacement players. Sure they've splurged on bigger names but many of their signings are uninspiring and mediocre. Even the draft is hit or miss. You draft Galloday and Walker which look like hits but then waste high picks on low ceiling, one dimensional, and/or slow players Tabor and A'Shawn. Can't really do anything with cheap fliers and bad drafting.

long story short, no one though Patricia was a genius, but we're the Lions and that's what we do

Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I do think Chase could play the Jack LB here. He may not have coverage skills right away be he has enough flexibility, bend, speed, and power to stand up and down. Plus he wouldn't always need to set the edge with Trey Flowers and Da'Shawn Hand at the "end" spots.

As for the scheme, contain and cover can work but you need the personal to pull it off. If the personal is below average you need to support it with pressure, either manufactured or natural. The Lions have yet to show any of the three options are presently available on the roster. They have talent yes, but not enough to run the scheme to its full potential. It does get harder though as teams are abandoning the run more and more focusing more on the efficient passing game. You're slower linebackers are exposed in coverage putting even more demand on the safeties and corners to be perfect. They also keep going cheap on CB #2 furthering the lame duck coverage. I guess what I am saying is I think it could work but management seems content on just treading water with barely above average replacement players. Sure they've splurged on bigger names but many of their signings are uninspiring and mediocre. Even the draft is hit or miss. You draft Galloday and Walker which look like hits but then waste high picks on low ceiling, one dimensional, and/or slow players Tabor and A'Shawn. Can't really do anything with cheap fliers and bad drafting.
    Straight to the point.

"It starts up front," ESPN NFL analyst John Fox, who drafted Miller in Denver, said in January."The best pass defense in the world is a pass rush. ... Most teams that are good every year [on third down] have a good four-man rush. You can be a lot more intricate in the coverages you run. The minute you bring that five-man rush, you're limited to single-high coverages. That's what makes San Francisco so good is their four-man front is probably better than everyone else."
    I found this in an article on ESPN that was about the Redskins. It was about all signs point to them taking Young at #2.

2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions FIRE EVERYONE!!!
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

Too much is made of Matt Patricia's defensive philosophy. The Lions really aren't doing anything that is that much different from the rest of the NFL. The difference is in the players not the schemes and that's why they've not been good. Better players, better results.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    Too much is made of Matt Patricia's defensive philosophy. The Lions really aren't doing anything that is that much different from the rest of the NFL. The difference is in the players not the schemes and that's why they've not been good. Better players, better results.
    don't be the lions, better results

Remember when the Lions held the KC offense in check and everyone was talking about how great that was? Yea, that was fun while it lasted...

Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Remember when the Lions held the KC offense in check and everyone was talking about how great that was? Yea, that was fun while it lasted...
    In hindsight did they really though? KC still scored 27 points over 3 quarters (1 was a defensive score otherwise it's 34) and averaged almost 7 yards per play. They kept Mahomes out of the endzone but he still ended up with 300+ pass yards. Plus the game winning drive they did what they needed to do, helped by Jarrad Davis being the worst LB on the team.

no i remember getting blown out while Stafford carried us and the refs gifted KC a 99 yard fumble TD

In hindsight did they really though? KC still scored 27 points over 3 quarters (1 was a defensive score otherwise it's 34) and averaged almost 7 yards per play. They kept Mahomes out of the endzone but he still ended up with 300+ pass yards. Plus the game winning drive they did what they needed to do, helped by Jarrad Davis being the worst LB on the team.
    Quote Originally Posted by rocket View Post
    no i remember getting blown out while Stafford carried us and the refs gifted KC a 99 yard fumble TD
    Yes, absolutely in looking closer at the numbers they didn't really stop them. However, you can't argue the narrative that went around local stations, and nationally, about the 'troubles' the defense gave them that game. The Chiefs offense was rolling the first 3 games. Compare his numbers specifically, from the first 3 games to the game against the Lions, and you see how many troubles they gave him.

but I digress, the defensive effort shown in this game was not indicative of the rest of the season. Only went down hill from there.

Yes, absolutely in looking closer at the numbers they didn't really stop them. However, you can't argue the narrative that went around local stations, and nationally, about the 'troubles' the defense gave them that game. The Chiefs offense was rolling the first 3 games. Compare his numbers specifically, from the first 3 games to the game against the Lions, and you see how many troubles they gave him.

but I digress, the defensive effort shown in this game was not indicative of the rest of the season. Only went down hill from there.
    At least we don't have to live with the participation trophy of "giving the blueprint" to New England in how to stop the Rams again.

At least we don't have to live with the participation trophy of "giving the blueprint" to New England in how to stop the Rams again.
    May as well, that's about the only trophy they're going to get anytime soon. That trophy case isn't going to fill up itself. Maybe Patricia gets into competitive eating and they can add a few more that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    May as well, that's about the only trophy they're going to get anytime soon. That trophy case isn't going to fill up itself. Maybe Patricia gets into competitive eating and they can add a few more that way.
    he'd cheat by mistake