Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 16
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,353

    Switch Positions

    In an effort to understand each others position, I thought it may be fun to abandon your beliefs and choose another’s. This is not an effort to criticize or caricature someone belief, this is an opportunity to show you understand someone else worldview and if not, then for others to correct your understanding.

    Got it?

    Before we begin, let’s assign beliefs (or lack of) to defend...

    I’ll take Atheism

    If you want to argue FOR a particular belief then claim it as long as 1) it’s not your belief and 2) it hasn’t already been taken.

    Sound good? Anything anyone want to add to this before we begin?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,147
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    In an effort to understand each others position, I thought it may be fun to abandon your beliefs and choose another’s. This is not an effort to criticize or caricature someone belief, this is an opportunity to show you understand someone else worldview and if not, then for others to correct your understanding.

    Got it?

    Before we begin, let’s assign beliefs (or lack of) to defend...

    I’ll take Atheism

    If you want to argue FOR a particular belief then claim it as long as 1) it’s not your belief and 2) it hasn’t already been taken.

    Sound good? Anything anyone want to add to this before we begin?
    I can take Catholicism easy!

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,894
    I’d try Islam if Nasty joins the party.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,353
    Im hoping to have mine up within 24 hours.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    I’d try Islam if Nasty joins the party.
    I'm in.

    I'll do atheist, it's probably the only one I could really do.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    I'm in.

    I'll do atheist, it's probably the only one I could really do.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    The point of this exercise is that you’d expand you’re understanding. Try picking something you’d have to research.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,618
    Ok I'll do judaism

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,894
    OK, here’s my first foray into Islam.

    I am starting with basics, so I will not yet go into the Sunni/Shia differences.

    We Muslims (called such because “muslim” is the active particle of “islam”, which itself translates variously into the English words “surrender” or “submission) believe in one God, Allah — creator, sustainer, and restorer of the world.

    We “surrender” or “submit” to the will of Allah, which has been revealed by means of our sacred text, called the Qur’an (often written in English as the Koran).

    The Qur’an is the compilation of the revelations by Allah to the prophet Muhammed in 7th century CE. These revelations are considered by us to be the final revelations of Allah to humanity.

    The most basic doctrines of Islam are perhaps best summed up in the Five Pillars:

    1. THE PROFESSION OF FAITH: We profess that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammed is his messenger (la ilaha illa Allah; Muhammed rasul Allah).
    2. PRAYERS: We pray five times a day.
    3. CHARITY: We donate resources to help those in need.
    4. HOLY OBSERVANCE: We fast from sunrise to sunset during Ramadan, our holy month.
    5. THE PILGRAMAGE: We try to make at least one trip to Mecca in our lifetime.

    There’s a lot more, but that’s a start (sorry, Nasty if I messed up).

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,618
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    OK, here’s my first foray into Islam.

    I am starting with basics, so I will not yet go into the Sunni/Shia differences.

    We Muslims (called such because “muslim” is the active particle of “islam”, which itself translates variously into the English words “surrender” or “submission) believe in one God, Allah — creator, sustainer, and restorer of the world.

    We “surrender” or “submit” to the will of Allah, which has been revealed by means of our sacred text, called the Qur’an (often written in English as the Koran).

    The Qur’an is the compilation of the revelations by Allah to the prophet Muhammed in 7th century CE. These revelations are considered by us to be the final revelations of Allah to humanity.

    The most basic doctrines of Islam are perhaps best summed up in the Five Pillars:

    1. THE PROFESSION OF FAITH: We profess that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammed is his messenger (la ilaha illa Allah; Muhammed rasul Allah).
    2. PRAYERS: We pray five times a day.
    3. CHARITY: We donate resources to help those in need.
    4. HOLY OBSERVANCE: We fast from sunrise to sunset during Ramadan, our holy month.
    5. THE PILGRAMAGE: We try to make at least one trip to Mecca in our lifetime.

    There’s a lot more, but that’s a start (sorry, Nasty if I messed up).
    Solid start [emoji106]

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    31,618
    Man, I haven't even read anything about judaism yet. See, atheism I coulda done easy, that's something that's crossed my mind a lot and I read about a lot, so I'm very familiar with.

    Im a get at it tho, I'm def curious about it, just dont put a time limit on, lol



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

    "i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

    "God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

    "don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    3,353
    Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Man, I haven't even read anything about judaism yet. See, atheism I coulda done easy, that's something that's crossed my mind a lot and I read about a lot, so I'm very familiar with.

    Im a get at it tho, I'm def curious about it, just dont put a time limit on, lol



    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Lol no time limit.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,894
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Lol no time limit.
    But maybe before we die.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,894
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Lol no time limit.
    Seriously, I’d love for others to weigh in here. Ayway, Imhave friend who say they practice Buddhim, so maybe I’ll try that too.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Annapolis MD
    Posts
    17,342
    Quote Originally Posted by Crovash View Post
    OK, here’s my first foray into Islam.

    I am starting with basics, so I will not yet go into the Sunni/Shia differences.

    We Muslims (called such because “muslim” is the active particle of “islam”, which itself translates variously into the English words “surrender” or “submission) believe in one God, Allah — creator, sustainer, and restorer of the world.

    We “surrender” or “submit” to the will of Allah, which has been revealed by means of our sacred text, called the Qur’an (often written in English as the Koran).

    The Qur’an is the compilation of the revelations by Allah to the prophet Muhammed in 7th century CE. These revelations are considered by us to be the final revelations of Allah to humanity.

    The most basic doctrines of Islam are perhaps best summed up in the Five Pillars:

    1. THE PROFESSION OF FAITH: We profess that there is no god but Allah, and Muhammed is his messenger (la ilaha illa Allah; Muhammed rasul Allah).
    2. PRAYERS: We pray five times a day.
    3. CHARITY: We donate resources to help those in need.
    4. HOLY OBSERVANCE: We fast from sunrise to sunset during Ramadan, our holy month.
    5. THE PILGRAMAGE: We try to make at least one trip to Mecca in our lifetime.

    There’s a lot more, but that’s a start (sorry, Nasty if I messed up).
    One of the things that I admire about Islam is the pillar of the pilgramage. As a Catholic here in the US, there aren't many holy sites. I am lucky to be close to two, but none of them have the history of going to the Holy Land or Rome. Both are places I want to visit because of those sites, but it's not a tenant of my religion to do so. I actually wish it was.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    6,894
    Even as a non-believer, I can understand the attraction of a holy or sacred site for those who are believers, though I am unable to foster any deeper attachment to that understanding, which I suppose accounts for my general lack of passion when they are revered or, for that matter, violated (not that I advocate violating them).

    I know that virtually all major (and minor) religions have these places — as do many non-religious collectives, like nations, ethnic groups, etc. — and it has gotten me to thinking about sacred spaces, which range from cemeteries and burial grounds to the summits of earth’s highest peaks.

    Where would I be compelled to visit? I don’t really know.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •