Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ChI_ShIzzLe View Post
    Can we pretend his hire was made official on April 7th so we can call him AK47?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    [emoji91] [emoji91][emoji457]

2. 04-09-2020, 03:29 PM
    Reason
    all is good...just not a great topic to discuss in here

Wow I actually like this move! Bulls fans should throw a parade once quarantine is over.

4. 04-09-2020, 04:39 PM
    Reason

5. 04-09-2020, 05:14 PM
    Reason

6. 04-09-2020, 05:18 PM
    Reason

7. 04-09-2020, 05:28 PM
    Reason

8. 04-09-2020, 06:59 PM
    Reason

9. 04-09-2020, 07:28 PM

Reason

Good post Stunner. It's not my place to speak, but my wife is a minority and she has similar feelings to yours.

Anyway, Finley is interesting, and Cuban's been advocating for him to get the Bulls job, though that may have just been VP. I follow the Mavs pretty closely and they've done a really nice job building that roster in the last few years. Not just Luka and KP, but they have several quality role players like DFS, Powell, Kleber, Hardaway Jr, Brunson, and so on. Those guys all compliment their stars really well.

11. 04-09-2020, 08:02 PM
    Reason

12. 04-09-2020, 08:27 PM
    Reason

13. 04-09-2020, 08:32 PM
    Reason

14. 04-09-2020, 08:38 PM
    Reason

15. 04-09-2020, 08:50 PM
    Reason

16. 04-09-2020, 08:50 PM
    Reason

17. 04-09-2020, 08:54 PM
    Reason

18. 04-09-2020, 09:16 PM
    Reason

19. 04-09-2020, 09:35 PM
    Reason

20. 04-09-2020, 10:16 PM
    Reason

21. 04-10-2020, 12:21 AM

Reason

22. 04-10-2020, 12:30 AM
    Reason

23. 04-10-2020, 12:42 AM
    Reason

24. 04-10-2020, 12:46 AM
    Reason

25. 04-10-2020, 12:57 AM
    Reason

26. 04-10-2020, 01:00 AM
    Reason

27. 04-10-2020, 01:11 AM
    Reason

28. 04-10-2020, 01:46 AM
    Reason

29. 04-10-2020, 02:28 AM
    Reason

30. 04-10-2020, 03:12 AM
    Reason

31. 04-10-2020, 07:46 AM
    Reason

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben36 View Post
    serious question.... are there any African American Contenders for GM that you are aware of or would have been happy with? im serious too. I have no issues with hiring one..... but was anyone who you actually had confidence in available.

even in our own Forum discussion did anyone bring up anyone who is Black?
    Masai Ujiri. Thats it.

Edit: Oh wait, you said GM, then no.
    Last edited by effen5; 04-10-2020 at 07:50 AM.

Itís Official! Bulls hire Arturas Karnisovas as their new VP of Basketball Operations

Hey guys wanted to give some insight into Art for you

First things first, Hello! I am Zach Mikash, the Deputy Site Manager for Denver Stiffs, the SBNation Nuggets site. I have been a credentialed writer for going on four seasons. Had a lot of chances to talk to Art and the people around.

The name Iíd tell you first to watch for is Rafal Juc. He is the Nuggets top European scout and is one of Artís guys. Juc is generally the one who is given credit for finding Denverís European prospects. The list of players from Europe who played in the NBA during Art/Jucís tenure is long: Joffrey Lauvergne, Jusuf Nurkic, Nikola Jokic, Juancho Hernangomez and Vlatko Cancar. In fact during Art/Jucís tenure in Denver 5 out of their 7 European draft picks made it to the NBA (Petr Cornelie and Nikola Radicevic, both 2nd rounders). Considering the majority of Denverís European prospects were picked in the second round (Nurkic and Juancho were the two first rounders) thatís a pretty impressive track record. Losing Art sucks, but losing Rafal Juc would be equally as tough to stomach.

I canít speak highly enough of Art and his demeanor. He is a really good guy in general. Honest, smart and straightforward. He is also, without a doubt, a CEO type leader and has the demeanor to be an EVP. Tim Connelly has always struck me more as the fun guy, laid back and casual. Art is all business.

In terms of who was the decision maker and how much can you credit Denverís successful rebuild to Art, I think you can attribute quite a bit to him. Beyond the European scouting heís been Connellyís right hand man through the entire rebuild. Generally when looking at the steps they took to rebuild the roster only three big missteps stand out: the awful 2013 free agency, picking Emmanuel Mudiay 7th overall in 2015 and the 2017 first round of the draft. In 2013 Denver went with the awesome free agent class of Randy Foye, J.J. Hickson and Nate RobinsonÖyikes. You have to take those moves into context though. Connelly and Art had been on the job for a couple of weeks and the Nuggets were coming off a 57 win season. At the time they thought they were contenders and just needed some veterans to get past losing Iguodala and carry them through Galloís ACL rehab. As we found out, they were not contenders and to the front officeís credit they pivoted to the rebuild quickly. They made the big 2014 draft trade with the Bulls as you well know and in the 2nd round they drafted a goofy looking Serbian center who loved coca-cola and horse cart racing named Nikola Jokic. Early the next season they moved Robinson, who had rumors of not working out in the locker room, for Jameer Nelson who was a veteran presence and actually pretty good for them for a couple years. They moved on from a fan favorite who was quickly declining in Aron Afflalo and in exchange got a future 1st round pick and a seldom used young wing named Will Barton. They didnít wait around to correct their coaching mistake in Brian Shaw either (another guy they had to bring in the first week on the job).

The first big move towards a rebuild was the 2015 draft though. Denver needed a new face of the franchise. Gallo was still returning to form after a botched treatment on his ACL and Ty Lawson had been on a bender for the better part of the a year. They managed to get filler and a future 1st that wasnít likely to convey (it ended up conveying) from the Rockets in exchange for taking Lawson off their hands. That made a pretty big hole at the point guard spot and it was pretty obvious the Nuggets were going in that direction. Once DíAngelo Russell was off the board Mudiay was the obvious choice. He did not work out, clearly, but check any article written about the Nuggets or draft grades at the time and it was pretty much agreed across the board that Denver had got a steal.

Outside of Mudiay, going into the 2017 draft the front officeís record was pretty much spotless on drafting. To this day that is the only time I can think of where I was completely dumbfounded by the decisions from the Nuggets front office. The Nuggets clearly needed a perimeter defender. Gallo and Wilson Chandler were getting old, Barton was too small to defend the small forward position effectively and the only other threes on the roster the previous season were Alonzo Gee and the sativa cloud that housed Mike Miller somewhere within. Denver wasnít stopping anybody on the wings. The answer seemed obvious when Denver was on the clock: O.G. Anunoby. Every single person in that media lounge was convinced that was going to be the pick. Denver instead elected to trade #13 overall (which Utah used to select Donovan Mitchell) to the Jazz for Trey Lyles and the 24th pick. I remember in the moment being fairly baffled by the decision, but in Connelly and Art we trusted. One thing about Denverís front office is they have very good intelligence on other teams. In 2016 they knew Jamal Murray was going to be there at 7 before the draft even started and in 2017 they knew no one was going to pick O.G. before 23. The only one they werenít sure about was in fact the Toronto Raptors, and former Nuggets GM Masai Ujiri, at 23. Without a doubt Anunoby going off the board one pick before Denver was back on the clock left them holding the bag and not knowing what to do. Under the pressure they went BPA, which on their board was Tyler Lydon, a stretch 4 out of Syracuse. It was very odd given they had just traded for a stretch 4 from Utah an hour earlier and were rumored to be targeting Paul Millsap in free agency. Lydon clearly was NOT the best player available and again to the front officeís credit they didnít take long to own up to their mistake. They passed on giving Lydon his 3rd year option, let alone his 4th year, and he is now out of the league. Still, when I think of times the front office screwed up the only one that truly stands out is that draft night.

BUTÖletís take into account all of the context. First, I was told by some reliable sources that the trade with Utah at 13 wasnít planned. Denver had been working on a deal with Cleveland and Indiana. Cleveland was to receive Paul George to pair with LeBron James, the Pacers would get the 13th overall pick and former Indiana Mr. Basketball winner Gary Harris, the Nuggets would receive Kevin Love. At the last minute the Pacers backed out because Kevin Pritchard didnít feel right giving up George, who was forcing his way out, to help LeBron win titles in the same division. Denver panicked, Utah called and essentially the Nuggets felt like they could buy some more time to re-group and probably still get O.G. as well as another piece in Lyles. Being in the media lounge that night and asking Art point blank afterwards why the Nuggets just didnít take the player they wanted at 13 instead of risking losing him by waiting (Art, in the way that he is, actually gave me an incredibly honest answer and said they didnít want to divide the room with the decision) Iím pretty confident that Art wanted to take Anunoby at 13, but Connelly wanted to wait because he thought they could get him at 24. At the end of the day the Lydon selection was inexcusable, it wasnít like Mudiay, we all knew it was an awful pick the moment they made it, but take into account the Nuggets have two players on their current roster who were selected in the second round of that same draft, including Monte Morris who is a regular rotation player.

So, I got off onto quite the tangent about what Connely and Art have been doing the past five years but thatís the important thing to point out. It was 100% Connelly and Art, not Connelly dictating everything to a bunch of yes men. It has always been a team approach in Denverís front office with Connelly having the final say. We saw that manifest in front of our eyes in that 2017 draft when the FO was at an impasse and Connelly had to make the decision.

The last thing Iíll do to hopefully make you feels really good about this hire (you should) is I donít think there is any way at all Art takes this job without being given complete control. He has had many opportunities to use a collaborative approach or to be top guy but with conditions. Maybe you might think at very least heíd still want to take a paybump and upgrade in title but the Nuggets already gave that to him the last time we went through this. Milwaukee was going to give Art their GM job but he turned it down when Denver offered to promote him from assistant GM to full GM, then simultaneously promoted Connelly from VP of basketball operations to President of basketball operations. So essentially it was raises and new titles all around, now lets get back to work. I am convinced that the only way Art is walking away from the Nuggets is if he is getting the opportunity to have full control. Time and again teams have offered him a collaborative approach and time and again he has turned it down in favor of just doing the same thing with the Nuggets. I cannot, in any way, see why he would leave a Nuggets roster he helped build that is on the cusp of being a finals contender to start over with the Bulls (not trying to be mean, you guys have a lot of young pieces that I like but the records are what they are) if the decision making power is the same.

I really feel like this was a great hire by the Bulls and is going to lead to a lot of good things for you guys. Iím most intrigued to see what Art can take from what Denver has done with Jokic and see how much of that he can translate to Wendell Carter Jrís game.

And yes, of course, the first thing he has to do is fire Jim Boylen.
    Last edited by Stunner; 04-10-2020 at 08:35 AM.

I still can't believe it. We have a new boss and it was the obvious choice, not some crazy flyer, not some finished old guy and not a bulls family guy.

(Deleting subject matter)
    Last edited by blams; 04-10-2020 at 11:23 AM.

No one has done anything really wrong, I've gotten into this convo myself, lets keep this at just talking about Arturas and the bulls future.

Gonna delete all the relevant comments regarding race, just to keep this on track and civil

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

I'm so excited we have a new FO.

I still am a bit uneasy that Pax is staying on as an advisor, but I think it'll be ok.

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Holy ****ing hell hallelujah!!!!!!!

I can't believe this day has finally come. I have had minimal to even give a **** about in the sporting world and this is ALMOST on par when we fleeced the Raiders for Mack.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    I'm so excited we have a new FO.

I still am a bit uneasy that Pax is staying on as an advisor, but I think it'll be ok.
    The White Sox did this with Kenny Williams too. He hasnít got in Rick Hahns way at all. Hahns rebuild of the Sox is one of the hottest stories in baseball. Iíll remain optimistic until I see moves that I donít like

Quote Originally Posted by DamnGoat View Post
    I'd imagine we'll see plenty of player movement here in the first year or two. I know many won't want to do this, but trading Zach makes a lot of sense. I could easily see a high lottery pick and a future pick coming back for him, maybe more.
    All for it. Rebuild completely. Let the new management start from ground up and build a new culture.

This did wonders for two other franchises in the same city.

Quote Originally Posted by northsider View Post
    All for it. Rebuild completely. Let the new management start from ground up and build a new culture.

This did wonders for two other franchises in the same city.
    But I donít think we need, or should overhaul our roster completely. I still believe Zach/Lauri/WCJ can still be part of the core. The latter 2 were obviously badly coached by the current staff. And Coby is gonna be special so definitely not getting rid of him. Hopefully we can get lucky this year in the lottery finally with a new FO, and build from there along with free agency. Obviously if there is a big trade that can be made for a superstar, then everyone is on the table. But I wouldnít just trade guys for draft picks, especially Zach whoís on his way to becoming an all-star.

In a house in a Coldesac in Lake in the Hills, Il
    Quote Originally Posted by effen5 View Post
    Masai Ujiri. Thats it.

Edit: Oh wait, you said GM, then no.
    i would have loved Ujiri.... personally doubt he would take the same job here though plus GM would also be a step back for him.

‎"If your going to be thinking anyway, you might as well think big"

-Rem Koolhaas

See new Tweets
    Conversation
    Shams Charania
    @ShamsCharania
    The Bulls are hiring Pelicans executive JJ Polk as assistant general manager under head of basketball operations Arturas Karnisovas, sources tell
    @TheAthleticNBA

@Stadium
    . Karnisovas makes first hiring decision.

Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast