Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Younger fans have more of a baseball plasticity than older fans. They'll return at some point, sooner rather than later. Older fans like me will probably be moving on.
    You're already moving goalposts. You went from definitely moving on to probably moving on. You'll be back rooting for this team in no time once the games start .

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    You're already moving goalposts. You went from definitely moving on to probably moving on. You'll be back rooting for this team in no time once the games start .
    Ha!

We'll see, said the Zen Master.

Angry

I just don't get it. The sport with the most inherent social distancing and a model to follow (KBO) is the only one that can't figure it out?

Even my kids Little League has figured it out.

I understand it's money but I just don't care at this point. Minor league baseball has been crippled already so we are talking about guys who's minimum salary is the equivalent of 10 years of salary for the average American.

if you are worried about those guys, union pool the salary money and split it evenly.

Owners your sport was in free fall and at the end of the day the money you are loosing on the value of the franchise far outweighs any loses in profit this year.

I do really miss baseball but I'm caring less and less about it by the day and I'm genuinely livid about their inability to get on the filed because of non health related issues.
    Last edited by Northeastfshman; 06-08-2020 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeastfshman View Post
    I just don't get it. The sport with the most inherent social distancing and a model to follow (KBO) is the only one that can't figure it out?

I understand it's money but I just don't care at this point. Minor league baseball has been crippled already so we are talking about guys who's minimum salary is the equivalent of 10 years of salary for the average American.

if you are worried about those guys, union pool the salary money and split it evenly.

Owners your sport was in free fall and at the end of the day the money you are loosing on the value of the franchise far outweighs any loses in profit this year.

I do really miss baseball but I'm caring less and less about it by the day and I'm genuinely livid about their inability to get on the filed because of non health related issues.
    The last part is also exactly how I feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Northeastfshman View Post

The owners are trying to bend the players over a barrel and basically want a deal to recoup their losses at no benefit to the players. The players are taking on all of the risk and seeing little of the incentive. Its easy for layman folk to get mad at the players because of all the money they make but remember they are up against billionaire owners who will be sipping champagne from their yachts while these guys are playing a game. A situation where they potentially expose themselves and the people around them to a deadly virus.

I agree the players and owners look bad when all the major sports are full steam ahead on resuming but if the owners want a season, they have to present a better offer.

The owners are trying to bend the players over a barrel and basically want a deal to recoup their losses at no benefit to the players. The players are taking on all of the risk and seeing little of the incentive. Its easy for layman folk to get mad at the players because of all the money they make but remember they are up against billionaire owners who will be sipping champagne from their yachts while these guys are playing a game. A situation where they potentially expose themselves and the people around them to a deadly virus.

I agree the players and owners look bad when all the major sports are full steam ahead on resuming but if the owners want a season, they have to present a better offer.
    If the players want a season, maybe they should be willing to suck it up for one lousy season. Like many or most of us.

Otherwise, they may learn the real risk is returning to work next year when no one cares any more.

If the players want a season, maybe they should be willing to suck it up for one lousy season. Like many or most of us.

Otherwise, they may learn the real risk is returning to work next year when no one cares any more.
    Every owner proposal so far has offered the players 33% of their total salary for 2020. That's not going to get the job done.

A season presumably happens no matter what because the owners original 48 game proposal will go to an arbitrator in which the players will lose. Shame it might get to that and the season might be that short but that's billionaire owners for you.

I can't side with them when 1200 minor leaguers were just released (in the midst of a pandemic) earlier this month as well.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-09-2020 at 12:28 AM.

Every owner proposal so far has offered the players 33% of their total salary for 2020. That's not going to get the job done.

A season presumably happens no matter what because the owners original 48 game proposal will go to an arbitrator in which the players will lose. Shame it might get to that and the season might be that short but that's billionaire owners for you.

I can't side with them when 1200 minor leaguers were just released (in the midst of a pandemic) earlier this month as well.
    I read a great piece the other day and because I'm senile, I can't remember the publication but it pointed out why you can't side with the owners or the players. This is a perfect example.

I can't side with the players because they're not willing to play for 33-percent of their salary which is still a ton of money to play baseball, considering the circumstances and considering they're going to lose close two two-thirds of the season. And I can't side with the owners because, as you said, they released 1200 minor leaguers in a pandemic.

This is the main reason why I'm finding other things to worry about these days.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

My guess is that they will end up with a 64 game season. This is because each team would play 48 games in division (12 each versus 4 teams) plus 16 games interleague games- 3 per team except a 4th game against a natural rival (the Yanks for the Mets.

There have to be some interleague games because there 15 teams in each league and 5 in each division. The odd teams would have to sit around at any given time if there is no interleague play.

The reduction of games would allow the season to be cut two weeks from 13 to 11 weeks but they would still need to start the season in mid-July to finish as schedule. This means spring training would have to resume late this month.

They are all being completely tone deaf and are not reading the room properly. If they allow the NBA and NHL to fill the void while they piss away this season, both sides will regret it financially in the long term.

I read a great piece the other day and because I'm senile, I can't remember the publication but it pointed out why you can't side with the owners or the players. This is a perfect example.

I can't side with the players because they're not willing to play for 33-percent of their salary which is still a ton of money to play baseball, considering the circumstances and considering they're going to lose close two two-thirds of the season. And I can't side with the owners because, as you said, they released 1200 minor leaguers in a pandemic.

This is the main reason why I'm finding other things to worry about these days.
    I understand that. Its two sides that are hard to relate to. My issue is telling the players go play a game in the midst of a pandemic and we're not going to give you any added incentive to put you, your teammates, and potentially your family in danger. I get that most in the general public are going back to work with those parameters but we can't pretend like cutting hair and playing baseball are the same professions.

Clearly with better representation, you would hope for better working conditions. It should be that way across the board but the world doesn't work that way unfortunately.

I understand that. Its two sides that are hard to relate to. My issue is telling the players go play a game in the midst of a pandemic and we're not going to give you any added incentive to put you, your teammates, and potentially your family in danger. I get that most in the general public are going back to work with those parameters but we can't pretend like cutting hair and playing baseball are the same professions.

Clearly with better representation, you would hope for better working conditions. It should be that way across the board but the world doesn't work that way unfortunately.
    Point is, 33 percent is still a ridiculous amount of money for what amounts to playing a children's game. And it's playing a fraction of a schedule while creating a fraction of the revenue for the owners. Both sides are taking it on the chin.

In short, both sides are being A-holes. The difference? When the players' careers are over, either they'll have made a ton of money and won't have to worry about money for the rest of their lives. Or they didn't so they will, at a young age.

The owners? They can ditch baseball forever and they'll be fine. More than fine.

So there's that.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Point is, 33 percent is still a ridiculous amount of money for what amounts to playing a children's game. And it's playing a fraction of a schedule while creating a fraction of the revenue for the owners. Both sides are taking it on the chin.

In short, both sides are being A-holes. The difference? When the players' careers are over, either they'll have made a ton of money and won't have to worry about money for the rest of their lives. Or they didn't so they will, at a young age.

The owners? They can ditch baseball forever and they'll be fine. More than fine.

So there's that.
    If you felt you were being shortchanged at work, wouldn't you voice those concerns? I know I would because I have in the past. This is no different. I'm not putting my life on the line for some children's game. Not unless someone makes it worth it for me to do so.

Yes both sides are being *******s but i'm not inclined to side with the billionaire sitting on his yacht complaining he's not making baseball revenue. This is the baseball player's livelihood and many of them aren't making Bryce Harper or Mike Trout money. Many of them are making 6-7 figures that are eaten by taxes, cost of living, agent %, etc.

Seriously, who cares?

I know it would be nice to see some sports to distract us but if we have learned anything from 2020 it is that time on this Earth is precarious and fleeting.

If they play, great. If they donít, so what?

We all have much bigger fish to fry.

So either make it happen or donít - but maybe keep your absurd negotiations in private while most people are trying not to die and/or go homeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't worry. He's got this.

Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Seriously, who cares?

I know it would be nice to see some sports to distract us but if we have learned anything from 2020 it is that time on this Earth is precarious and fleeting.

If they play, great. If they donít, so what?

We all have much bigger fish to fry.

So either make it happen or donít - but maybe keep your absurd negotiations in private while most people are trying not to die and/or go homeless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There's of course people who are going to take that position but we live in a world where even major events are fleeting. At some point, we're going to be looking past coronavirus and protests about black lives matter. When normalcy becomes more of a thing and we're seeing some of that now, sports are going to matter to people again.

19 LIJ (Long Island Jewish) hospitals reported a grand total of 6 new cases of the coronavirus today. Not saying its going away as other states are experiencing spikes but the virus is not as earth shattering as it once was. As you know (being a doctor) that comes with better education, better preparation, virus strains that may mutate to something less significant, etc. Again, its still a serious situation but things have evolved.

People are itching to return to their previous lives. The biggest hurdles now are the economy and what happens to coronavirus numbers with all the people protesting. If the latter doesn't happen, we're seeing even less cases by the day.

We can't dismiss these things just because there are bigger issues in the world and the fact that many of these guys are privileged. Its these baseball players livelihood and they have a right to be treated fairly.

Its a lot of talk to my point really being that it does matter to people that sports come back. In fact to many, it may mean more than ever.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-09-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Page 7 of 12 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast