Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 178
  1. #31
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,076


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  2. #32
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    Looks like a 30-man roster and 20-man taxi squad.

  3. #33
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    Also, no all-star game and a universal DH.

  4. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Also, no all-star game and a universal DH.
    I hope the Universal DH stays in place for next year and beyond.

  5. #35
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    37,303
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I hope the Universal DH stays in place for next year and beyond.
    MLB isn't that smart. They'll play it off as an experiment due to exigent circumstances and work this dumb game of "DH in the NL?" for the next 10 years before they make a decision.

  6. #36
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    I hate the DH and the Mets do have good hitting pitchers who will not get to hit, but having the DH available for Cespedes, Lowrie, and Dom Smith may be a plus for the team this year. It means that J.D. Davis can be a regular at 3B or LF.

  7. #37
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,145
    Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    MLB isn't that smart. They'll play it off as an experiment due to exigent circumstances and work this dumb game of "DH in the NL?" for the next 10 years before they make a decision.
    I disagree. I think once the cat's out of the bag you can't put it back in.

  8. #38
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    I hate the DH but resigned myself that it is coming.

    I can live with the expanded wild cards for this year but do not want it permanent. As I said before, I think the long term answer is to expand two teams and have each league go to two divisions of eight teams. The 2nd & 3rd place teams in each division would play a wild card game and the winner would play against the 1st place team of the other division.

    I like trying out the 7-inning games for doubleheaders like the minors have. We might even see some pitchers throw complete games.

    I do not like the possible gimmick of putting a runner on 2B to start every half inning in extra innings. Iíd consider as a compromise giving the lead-off hitter an automatic intentional walk but no more. Or just call it a tie after ten innings like Japan does.

    It will be different that they are considering 6 or 7 game series for a whole week against divisional rivals to cut down travel. I donít know if learning more about a particular team that way will make it more interesting or more boring.

    It is a bummer they will cancel the All Star game. They should consider doing it five days before opening day. In 1981, they did it before the opening of the second split season.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-12-2020 at 09:44 AM.

  9. #39
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,076
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I hope the Universal DH stays in place for next year and beyond.
    What about the health and welfare of not only the players but the umpires, bus drivers, clubhouse personnel etc.

    But yeah, letís worry about the DH.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  10. #40
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    101,823
    I dont want them to start if it will even cost one person their life.

  11. #41
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    People are going to die from more suicides and the increase in addictions if they do not begin at least gradual re-starts. Both numbers are beginning to tick up. And doctors are concerned that people with serious non-coronavirus conditions are afraid to come in for their checkups and treatments.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-12-2020 at 11:02 AM.

  12. #42
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    One way to look at things: the Mets 2018 and 2019 seasons were ruined by the worst Junes they ever played. We now know they arenít going to lose any games in June 2020. :-)

  13. #43
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    What about the health and welfare of not only the players but the umpires, bus drivers, clubhouse personnel etc.

    But yeah, letís worry about the DH.
    I agree 100 percent. This is where the discussion needs to be. I got carried away yesterday railing against the players for reportedly refusing to take a pay cut to come back to play the rest of the season. Even that is putting the cart in front of the horse.

    Until all the health issues can be ironed out and assured, we shouldn't even be having these discussions now.

    Good job, Clay.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

  14. #44
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    37,303
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    I disagree. I think once the cat's out of the bag you can't put it back in.
    Let's hope so. I am tired of this "DH in the NL?" game they play. Just have the DH already.

  15. #45
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,145
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    People are going to die from more suicides and the increase in addictions if they do not begin at least gradual re-starts. Both numbers are beginning to tick up. And doctors are concerned that people with serious non-coronavirus conditions are afraid to come in for their checkups and treatments.
    Such BS. Such a red herring. Suicides and addictions are not the problem. Covid-19 is the problem. If we save 10,000 from committing suicide and maybe another 10,000 from falling into drug addiction, but lose another 100,000 due to Covid-19, would you call that a smart recovery strategy? By last count, some 3,000 people a day -- A DAY -- were dying from this thing.

    Keep your eye on the ball.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears Ė but they seem kinda sensible...."

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •