Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112
    Sixty games in 66 days from July 24 to September 27th. Universal DH. Same playoff structure as in 2019.

Two possibilities:

1. Mets play divisional rivals ten times and AL East rivals four times, or

2. Mets play divisional rivals eleven times and AL East rivals three times except the Yanks four times.

UPDATE: It is the first alternative.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-24-2020 at 11:33 PM.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

60 game season starting July 24. Yawn.

Maybe I'll be more excited next year. I do like the universal DH. Shame it took a pandemic though.

Am semi excited, I miss baseball.

I think this is going to be a lot like the second half of the 1981 split season which was 52 games. If a team could keep their head above water, they stayed in the race. The Mets were 20-20 with 12 to play and only 2.5 games out.

Figure with sixty games, the difference between a .500 team and a .600 team is only six wins. If you are over thirty wins, you have a shot.

By the way in 1981, after going 20-20, they lost five in a row which knocked them out of the race and Joe Torre got fired on the last day of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I think this is going to be a lot like the second half of the 1981 split season which was 52 games. If a team could keep their head above water, they stayed in the race. The Mets were 20-20 with 12 to play and only 2.5 games out.

Figure with sixty games, the difference between a .500 team and a .600 team is only six wins. If you are over thirty wins, you have a shot.

By the way in 1981, after going 20-20, they lost five in a row which knocked them out of the race and Joe Torre got fired on the last day of the season.
    Blown saves might be one of the most important stats

I am not sure if they plan to institute the runner on 2nd base to start an extra inning game . If so, that has to change the mantality of a closer who always starts an inning fresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I am not sure if they plan to institute the runner on 2nd base to start an extra inning game . If so, that has to change the mantality of a closer who always starts an inning fresh.
    Yeah that is going to be implemented. Hate it hope its only for this season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think that is the stupidest rule this year.

Id rather keep the status quo for extra innings but if they want a change, just start the inning with a mandatory intentional walk to put a runner on first. Then a manager would have to decide on four options: sacrifice, hit & run, steal, or hit away.

I do like the seven inning games in doubleheaders. And not wiping out games that get stopped by rain before the 5th inning but picking them up later.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 06-26-2020 at 02:41 PM.

I think if there was ever a season to start experimenting new rules, this would be the one.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    I think that is the stupidest rule this year.

Id rather keep the status quo for extra innings but if they want a change, just start the inning with a mandatory intentional walk to put a runner on first. Then a manager would have to decide on four options: sacrifice, hit & run, steal, or hit away.

I do like the seven inning games in doubleheaders. And not wiping out games that get stopped by rain before the 5th inning but picking them up later.
    It is the dumbest of all rules. However, this is also the one season where you really can't afford to have any marathon games. So for this season it makes sense. As long as they scrap it next year and beyond, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry M View Post
    Blown saves might be one of the most important stats
    Compounded by the new minimum 3 batter rule. Bring a fire extinguisher?
    Last edited by Il Mostro; 07-01-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    "There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. A high powered mutant of some kind, never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112