Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 178
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    In your Mind
    Posts
    9,074
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    What about the health and welfare of not only the players but the umpires, bus drivers, clubhouse personnel etc.

    But yeah, letís worry about the DH.
    Baseball should only come back if covid is no longer a threat or precautions are used to minimize exposure to any and everyone in the stadium.

    Meanwhile, people should worry more about their own truths, and not run from it like cowards and weasels do.
    Segway:
    claymation, there is a bet waiting for your acceptance in the Jets forum.
    See you there and don't chicken out.

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,030
    There is no realistic way to protect the players, the umpires, the coaches, the ballpark workers, etc if they decide to open up under current conditions.

    The probability would be high that someone will get sick or simply test positive - and then all the games will have to be shut down anyway. God help them if anyone dies or is badly hurt because of these games.

    Iím hoping for the virus to slow down, for some external factor to really put a dent in this thing. But until I see that I think itís insanity to have a season.

    As I tell my patients, the only goal for 2020 is to not die.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    People are going to die from more suicides and the increase in addictions if they do not begin at least gradual re-starts. Both numbers are beginning to tick up. And doctors are concerned that people with serious non-coronavirus conditions are afraid to come in for their checkups and treatments.
    While itís true that initially patients were not coming in to hospitals they are mostly beginning to come in now.

    Itís not true that other causes of death are rising. Overall non-COVID deaths are going down.

    This virus is an absolute monster. Anyone who tells you otherwise is clueless. Iíve seen it and itís horrific. If you donít believe me, believe the 87,000 or so people who have died from it in the past 2 months. That number is insane.

    Stay safe. Be smart. It will eventually end but we are not nearly out of the woods yet as a nation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,145
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    While itís true that initially patients were not coming in to hospitals they are mostly beginning to come in now.

    Itís not true that other causes of death are rising. Overall non-COVID deaths are going down.

    This virus is an absolute monster. Anyone who tells you otherwise is clueless. Iíve seen it and itís horrific. If you donít believe me, believe the 87,000 or so people who have died from it in the past 2 months. That number is insane.

    Stay safe. Be smart. It will eventually end but we are not nearly out of the woods yet as a nation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We could use you in the Off Topic page

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,076
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    While itís true that initially patients were not coming in to hospitals they are mostly beginning to come in now.

    Itís not true that other causes of death are rising. Overall non-COVID deaths are going down.

    This virus is an absolute monster. Anyone who tells you otherwise is clueless. Iíve seen it and itís horrific. If you donít believe me, believe the 87,000 or so people who have died from it in the past 2 months. That number is insane.

    Stay safe. Be smart. It will eventually end but we are not nearly out of the woods yet as a nation.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I am more concerned about the long term health problems.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    I am more concerned about the long term health problems.
    Of COVID? Not sure there will be any yet.

    The only thing we know is it is not something you want to get.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,076
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Of COVID? Not sure there will be any yet.

    The only thing we know is it is not something you want to get.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    After reading about the kidney

    Because Covid-19 is a new disease, there are no studies about its long-term trajectory for those with more severe symptoms; even the earliest patients to recover in China were only infected a few months ago. But doctors say the novel coronavirus can attach to human cells in many parts of the body and penetrate many major organs, including the heart, kidneys, brain, and even blood vessels.

    ďThe difficulty is sorting out long-term consequences,Ē says Joseph Brennan, a cardiologist at the Yale School of Medicine. While some patients may fully recover, he and other experts worry others will suffer long-term damage, including lung scarring, heart damage, and neurological and mental health effects.
    I don't want it, and I have been vigilant not putting myself or my family in harm's way.

    If I forget to tell you, thanks. Thanks for everything.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,030

    Baseball is coming back?

    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    After reading about the kidney



    I don't want it, and I have been vigilant not putting myself or my family in harm's way.

    If I forget to tell you, thanks. Thanks for everything.
    Truth is many severe infections leave ďa markĒ for a long time. For example patients who get walking pneumonia will have abnormal chest X-rays for over a year. They fully recover faster than that and their X-ray normalizes with time.

    The same is true for kidney injury and other organs in other severe infections.

    Truth is we just donít know what long term means after COVID. And I think itís wisest to try to avoid getting it given what we have seen and all the unknowns. That said, Iíd be very surprised if all affected organs didnít recover to mostly normal with time in affected individuals. So I donít believe itís something worth being too worried about at this point.

    Also, Iím not really a front line worker. My ICU and ER colleagues are. Yes I do see patients in the office and some patients with COVID in the hospital. But not like the ER guys.

    But as a physician, my obligation is to be honest with patients and the general population so they can be safe and make good decisions on their own. I say this with all honesty - please stay safe and avoid this infection.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by GottaBelieve; 05-15-2020 at 05:07 PM.

    Don't worry. He's got this.

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    102
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Such BS. Such a red herring. Suicides and addictions are not the problem. Covid-19 is the problem. If we save 10,000 from committing suicide and maybe another 10,000 from falling into drug addiction, but lose another 100,000 due to Covid-19, would you call that a smart recovery strategy? By last count, some 3,000 people a day -- A DAY -- were dying from this thing.

    Keep your eye on the ball.
    The coronavirus numbers are already dropping off. NY and NJ are under 200 deaths a day now and USA is nowhere near 3,000 any longer. Keep your eyes on the stats. And there has been no significant spikes in Covid-19 in places that have done sensible gradual reopenings so far.

    No one wants any deaths. But there are potential loses either way. Beyond suicides and addictions, the prohibition on surgery has delayed cancer and heart operations.

    Even Governor Cuomo recognizes that which is why he has opened up 5 of NYís 10 regions to Phase 1.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-15-2020 at 11:45 PM.

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Location
    60ft 6in away
    Posts
    13,328
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    The coronavirus numbers are already dropping off. NY and NJ are under 200 deaths a day now and USA is nowhere near 3,000 any longer. Keep your eyes on the stats. And there has been no significant spikes in Covid-19 in places that have done sensible gradual reopenings so far.

    No one wants any deaths. But there are potential loses either way. Beyond suicides and addictions, the prohibition on surgery has delayed cancer and heart operations.

    Even Governor Cuomo recognizes that which is why he has opened up 5 of NYís 10 regions to Phase 1.
    There's a reason most of these stats are averaged over two-week periods. The reopenings in NY really haven't been long enough to see potential spikes yet. You don't get the virus and then immediately land in the hospital; even symptomatic cases can take a week or two to develop.

    We all hope there won't be spikes, but it's still too early to say there haven't been any.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,528
    Quote Originally Posted by GottaBelieve View Post
    Truth is many severe infections leave ďa markĒ for a long time. For example patients who get walking pneumonia will have abnormal chest X-rays for over a year. They fully recover faster than that and their X-ray normalizes with time.

    The same is true for kidney injury and other organs in other severe infections.

    Truth is we just donít know what long term means after COVID. And I think itís wisest to try to avoid getting it given what we have seen and all the unknowns. That said, Iíd be very surprised if all affected organs didnít recover to mostly normal with time in affected individuals. So I donít believe itís something worth being too worried about at this point.

    Also, Iím not really a front line worker. My ICU and ER colleagues are. Yes I do see patients in the office and some patients with COVID in the hospital. But not like the ER guys.

    But as a physician, my obligation is to be honest with patients and the general population so they can be safe and make good decisions on their own. I say this with all honesty - please stay safe and avoid this infection.




    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First off as a physician I want to thank you for what you do. Secondly, thank you for your medical knowledge that you impart on this forum.

    Maybe you have responded previously, but if so I did not see it . Where do you practice , City, town, suberbs , and what is your area of specialization? .

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    2,528
    I think that they should just cancel the season and prepare for 2021, just one man's opinion.

  13. #58
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,076
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    I think that they should just cancel the season and prepare for 2021, just one man's opinion.
    While that might happen, what will happen to the pitchers who havenít thrown all year? Will injuries be on a rise? What will happen to eligibility of ball players? Will players gain extra year of eligibility while not playing delaying Free Agency.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    The Boogie Down
    Posts
    101,823
    Well Cuomo said Ny teams can resume training.

    If by mid June they start ST you may have yet a shot a half a season.

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    35,030
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooklyndave View Post
    First off as a physician I want to thank you for what you do. Secondly, thank you for your medical knowledge that you impart on this forum.

    Maybe you have responded previously, but if so I did not see it . Where do you practice , City, town, suberbs , and what is your area of specialization? .
    Thanks for the kind words.

    Iím a medical oncologist. I live and practice in Northern Virginia.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

    Don't worry. He's got this.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •