Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Baseball is coming back?

So a report that MLB is looking to play games in Arizona with no crowds. Nothing imminent but the union and MLB are in discussions.

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Jeff Passan

NEWS: Major League Baseball and the MLBPA are focusing on a plan backed by federal health officials that could have players in training camps by May and games soon thereafter.

Details at ESPN on how MLB may return -- and the difficulty in doing so:

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Is this the plan to play all games In Arizona?

It might be a way to get the season off the ground but if it goes past all-star game, I foresee weather problems.

Phoenix has weather like Las Vegas with one big difference - in late July and August, tropical storms come up from the Baja Peninsula. It can be 112 degrees in the afternoon and then a storm comes through and makes it drop to 101 dripping wet.

Chase Field has a movable roof but the other parks do not. With ten parks, keep in mind that three teams will have to share each park as their home field. There are going to have to be afternoon games which will be awful weather - especially with talk of doubleheaders of two seven inning games.

The earliest start would be May 10th meaning they would lose 45 days and maybe about 40 games at the start.

They could make up some games with fewer off-days (easy travel), doubleheaders, and playing into October. But I think that 162 games, or even 154 games could be a stretch. Maybe, 140 games is more realistic.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    It might be a way to get the season off the ground but if it goes past all-star game, I foresee weather problems.

Phoenix has weather like Las Vegas with one big difference - in late July and August, tropical storms come up from the Baja Peninsula. It can be 112 degrees in the afternoon and then a storm comes through and makes it drop to 101 dripping wet.

Chase Field has a movable roof but the other parks do not. With ten parks, keep in mind that three teams will have to share each park as their home field. There are going to have to be afternoon games which will be awful weather - especially with talk of doubleheaders of two seven inning games.
    I live out in Scottsdale, you are right July and Aug. You get late day storms like Florida.
    They can't play day games, and anyone on the East Ciast will have to watch games starting at 10pm.

Interesting idea. I'd like to see it just to see it, ya know? As an experiment.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeGamer81 View Post
    Interesting idea. I'd like to see it just to see it, ya know? As an experiment.
    This is meant as no disrespect to you, or any other poster that mentions using this season as an "experiment". But I think baseball needs to avoid that mentality for the 2020 season.

If there is going to be a 2020 Championship season, then they need to try and make it as normal as possible. Obviously the teams playing in neutral site / no fans for a few months is going to be weird.. But if you start talking 7 inning double headers, runner on second in extra innings, etc. That's too far. Especially considering that come September/October, we could see teams returning to their fields, or even fans in AZ.

Think about it this aspect as well: MLB already has the stain of their 2018 and 2017 champions labeled as "cheaters". Add in a team winning some "experiment" of a season in 2020, and you have 3 of the last 4 seasons where people are not going to historically acknowledge an actual champion.

I think it's great they are trying to find ways to get the season started, but the actual game on the field HAS to mirror normal baseball as much as possible. Because, once September/October comes, and a November postseason, there is likely going to be fans, and if you have played ~120 games, and now things are back to "normal", no one will care about 40 less games, or playing in Arizona.
    #oneatatime

Quote Originally Posted by rpagz3 View Post
    This is meant as no disrespect to you, or any other poster that mentions using this season as an "experiment". But I think baseball needs to avoid that mentality for the 2020 season.

If there is going to be a 2020 Championship season, then they need to try and make it as normal as possible. Obviously the teams playing in neutral site / no fans for a few months is going to be weird.. But if you start talking 7 inning double headers, runner on second in extra innings, etc. That's too far. Especially considering that come September/October, we could see teams returning to their fields, or even fans in AZ.

Think about it this aspect as well: MLB already has the stain of their 2018 and 2017 champions labeled as "cheaters". Add in a team winning some "experiment" of a season in 2020, and you have 3 of the last 4 seasons where people are not going to historically acknowledge an actual champion.

I think it's great they are trying to find ways to get the season started, but the actual game on the field HAS to mirror normal baseball as much as possible. Because, once September/October comes, and a November postseason, there is likely going to be fans, and if you have played ~120 games, and now things are back to "normal", no one will care about 40 less games, or playing in Arizona.
    I respect that opinion, I just don't get it. Who cares? Does it really matter in any tangible way that everyone knows the Astros and Red Sox cheated? By the way, sidenote: people only ever talk about the Astros title being tainted. Nobody talks about the Red Sox doing the same exact thing. So what does it even matter? What effect does it have on the game? Baseball in the 80s and 90s is seen as a clown show of steroid freaks, and yet ultimately nobody really gives a ****. Guys from that era are even getting into the Hall now.

And there could be some long-lasting benefits to come from this. Electronic strike zones? Yes please. Seven-inning doubleheaders? This could be the return of the single-ticket doubleheader! Even if it's just for makeup games, why the hell not? Starting extras with a RISP is something they should have done ages ago, to eliminate stupid and archaic 20-inning games. Maybe those things work well, put some fun in the game, and they stick around.

The world is really weird right now. It's strange to drive home at 5pm down an empty highway. I want to watch a baseball game with empty dugouts and players in the stands like some kind of surrealist dream. As a snapshot of this moment in time, I want this to happen, if it's actually safe for everybody and worth it for the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Bandit999 View Post
    I live out in Scottsdale, you are right July and Aug. You get late day storms like Florida.
    They can't play day games, and anyone on the East Ciast will have to watch games starting at 10pm.
    Apparently, they are also talking to the three NCAA Division 1 schools with baseball stadiums. With those three plus ten spring training stadiums and Chase Field, they could avoid any outdoor day games.

And now they are talking about an alternate plan with each team playing at their spring training site. MLB would be split into a Florida league and an Arizona league of fifteen teams each. The Mets would be in a division with the Nats, Cards, Astros, and Marlins.

Frankly, Id rather they just all play in Arizona.

The grapefruit and Cactus League realignment is an interesting thought. I appreciate that they are trying but the reality is until healthcare officials give the okay nothing is going to happen (or should happen).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dr. Fauci's path for sports coming back this year:
    - No fans in arenas or stadiums.
    - Athletes, coaches and other essential personnel stay in one big hotel (preferably connected to or next to the arena or stadium).
    - Constant surveillance and weekly tests.

I miss sports, so why not.

Andy Martino reported Thursday morning on SNY this morning that the Arizona plan looks like the most likely and Dr Fauci said he thinks it is workable.

Now they are saying an 80 to 120 game schedule looks more likely which probably means it would not start until June if you do the math.

You could do 120 games by playing 11 games against each divisional opponent, 6 games against each other league opponent, and 16 interleague games against one division in the other league.

You could do under 100 games by playing each league opponent (including divisional opponents) six games, plus 16 interleague games against one division. You have to have some interleague games because each league has an odd number of teams. Without interleague games, a team in each league would have to sit for three days throughout the schedule.

Doing under 100 games would be tough. I hope it is not necessary.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-15-2020 at 06:57 PM.

I sort of like the latest suggestion: a Florida-Texas-Arizona plan. Ten teams in each area (East, Central, and West) and five MLB Parks. Most games could be played at the the MLB Parks under roofs. I would guess The NL East and AL East would get Florida.

Id add SanDiego to Arizona in the West so it would have two MLB Parks like the others.

The schedule could have 108 games (2/3s of a regular season) starting on Memorial Day weekend and finishing as scheduled. Or it could push the start and finish three weeks later and still finish before Thanksgiving week.

A schedule of 108 games comes out to 8 games against divisional opponents, 6 games against other league opponents, and sixteen interleague games against one division. It can be done in 17 weeks excluding an all-star break.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 04-22-2020 at 09:47 AM.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast