Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

MLB, union focused on plan that could allow season to start as early as May in Arizon

Sources: MLB, union focused on plan that could allow season to start as early as May in Arizona

Major League baseball and its players are increasingly focused on a plan that could allow them to start the season as early as May and has the support of high-ranking federal public health officials who believe the league can safely operate amid the coronavirus pandemic, sources told ESPN.

Though the plan has a number of potential stumbling blocks, it has emerged above other options as the likeliest to work and has been embraced by MLB and MLB Players Association leadership, who are buoyed by the possibility of baseball's return and the backing of federal officials, sources said.

The plan, sources said, would dictate all 30 teams play games at stadiums with no fans in the greater Phoenix area, including the*Arizona Diamondbacks' Chase Field, 10 spring training facilities and perhaps other nearby fields. Players, coaching staffs and other essential personnel would be sequestered at local hotels, where they would live in relative isolation, and travel only to the stadium and back, sources said. Federal officials at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the National Institute of Health have been supportive of a plan that would adhere to strict isolation, promote social distancing and allow MLB to become the first professional sport to return.

The May return date depends on a number of concerns being allayed, and some officials believe a June opening day could be more realistic, sources said. Most important would be a significant increase in available coronavirus tests with a quick turnaround time, which sources familiar with the plan believe will happen by early May and allow MLB's testing not to diminish access for the general public.
    http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2...-early-arizona
    via @ESPN App http://espn.com/app

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Rush; 04-07-2020 at 01:25 AM. Reason: Edited for length.
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

I hope they're able to do it, be good to see some kind of sports again.

I'll admit I'd be pretty excited to have some daily baseball games during all this.

Yes Please!!!

Be good if it works. Can't imagine some players will like being self-isolated from their families indefinitely though.

The Lost Boys of PSD

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    Be good if it works. Can't imagine some players will like being self-isolated from their families indefinitely though.
    yea but this is why mlb shouldn't have guaranteed the money this year to players... if i am players id refuse until things cool down because they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I pray they dont though and we play

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    yea but this is why mlb shouldn't have guaranteed the money this year to players... if i am players id refuse until things cool down because they have nothing to gain and everything to lose. I pray they dont though and we play
    Ya I'd love if ball started up again in some fashion. Where does this leave farm clubs though? They should just expand the rosters and have healthy scratches like in hockey. Guys are still going to get hurt and at least farmhands can get practice in rather than sitting around cold and having to travel to Phoenix on a whim if they are needed.

The Lost Boys of PSD

They stand to capitalize on people wanting to watch something live, so there could be new fans that come out of this. There is a lot of risk to even getting the teams and minimal support staff together though.

Quote Originally Posted by statquo View Post
    I read that the immediate families could be isolated with the players.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

They should have no interleague play this year. Drink alot liquids when it gets 110 degrees.

Stupidest plan ever. Phoenix is the hottest big city in the Western Hemisphere. Lets play lots of day games outside. Good plan

Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Stupidest plan ever. Phoenix is the hottest big city in the Western Hemisphere. Lets play lots of day games outside. Good plan
    Seriously, after sunset it's still 90+ degrees outdoors during the peak of summer.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Another idea has all teams playing in their spring training facilities -- both Florida and Arizona. 3 divisions in in each state with the playoffs having 5 teams from each state.
    Sounds interesting, although that would break up a lot of natural rivalries -- Yanikees/Red Sox, Twins/Indians. It would put the Yankees in the same division as the Nationals, by the way.

Quote Originally Posted by catman View Post
    Another idea has all teams playing in their spring training facilities -- both Florida and Arizona. 3 divisions in in each state with the playoffs having 5 teams from each state.
    Sounds interesting, although that would break up a lot of natural rivalries -- Yanikees/Red Sox, Twins/Indians. It would put the Yankees in the same division as the Nationals, by the way.
    That might actually be pretty cool.