Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Democracy in America

This thread will be dedicated to anything related to voting and elections in America. Given the state of our democracy right now, it will be a pretty depressing thread. But attacks on our democracy by rightists needs to be exposed. The latest fiasco is Wisconsin with Republicans in the state legislature refusing to postpone the election tomorrow so that citizens in urban locations (i.e. Dem strongholds) won't vote due to fears of the pandemic. This is all in order to win a state Supreme Court election. Not only that, but absentee ballots are not arriving for people in the mail even though they ordered the ballots weeks ago. Thousands will be unable to vote now because of this. Seriously shady s**t going on right now in Wisconsin and unfortunately getting no media attention.

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

"The hottest places in hell are reserved for those who, in times of great moral crisis, maintain their neutrality.”

-JFK

-JFK

-JFK

The WI thing is interesting. How did it get in front of the Supreme court so quickly?

I haven't been able to read the full text of RBGs dissent yet.

I did see:

"The Supreme Court of the United States legislated from the bench today, following Trump team's orders and writing a new election law to disenfranchise untold thousands of Wisconsin voters and consign an unknown number of Wisconsinites to their deaths."
    — Ben Wikler (@benwikler) April 7, 2020

And he's just wrong here. How is it "new election law"? And "consign ... Wisconsinites to their deaths" is just absurd.

I can see it being pretty strange, and that it SHOULD be hard to change an election date, but I wonder by what mechanism this got in front of the court so quickly.

I think there have been a lot of liberties taken away and I do wonder if things will ever go back the way they were (they won't).

I do think you are being a little alarmist Walter, but that's nothing new.

Evers himself said last week that issuing an order to delay the election is unconstitutional

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post
    Evers himself said last week that issuing an order to delay the election is unconstitutional
    He also said that he said that before things got worse and that the legislature's inability to act changed the situation.

I'm not generally in favor of late changes to elections as it just generally smacks of cheating. I'm not at all sure this case fits that though. It would certainly have been better if they had acted a month ago rather than wait until the week of.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    I think there have been a lot of liberties taken away and I do wonder if things will ever go back the way they were (they won't).

I do think you are being a little alarmist Walter, but that's nothing new.
    One day the dam will break in this country and you’ll suddenly realize, “hey, my vote doesn’t really count”. And there will be nothing you can do about it. You’ll feel like an idiot because you were given plenty of warning.

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Brewersfan255 View Post

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    By him, not by the legislature, who instead elected to sacrifice Wisconsinites to win a Supreme Court race.

I’m not trusting Evers on that though. Other states delayed their elections without a problem.

-JFK

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The WI thing is interesting. How did it get in front of the Supreme court so quickly?

I haven't been able to read the full text of RBGs dissent yet.

I did see:

"The Supreme Court of the United States legislated from the bench today, following Trump team's orders and writing a new election law to disenfranchise untold thousands of Wisconsin voters and consign an unknown number of Wisconsinites to their deaths."
    — Ben Wikler (@benwikler) April 7, 2020

And he's just wrong here. How is it "new election law"? And "consign ... Wisconsinites to their deaths" is just absurd.

I can see it being pretty strange, and that it SHOULD be hard to change an election date, but I wonder by what mechanism this got in front of the court so quickly.
    If some voters get sick and die because they were forced to expose themselves to a pandemic if they wanted to vote, then there is absolutely blood on the GOP’s hands with that. Can you really not see that?

Of course there wasn’t new election law written *literally*, but they did order that absentee ballots had to be dropped off or postmarked today for them to be counted even though a lower court issued an extension on that. Their basis for that ruling? Who knows. (*cough* The GOP told them to rule this way so they could win an election). That’s legislating from the bench.

Democracy is DEAD in this country and you will not realize it until it is truly too late.

-JFK

That’s how republicans work. Cheat and suppress. Or if to keep power.

They ****ed up all the absentee ballots in beloit. Left a person or two off the ballot

Quote Originally Posted by Walter_White View Post
    This thread will be dedicated to anything related to voting and elections in America. Given the state of our democracy right now, it will be a pretty depressing thread. But attacks on our democracy by rightists needs to be exposed. The latest fiasco is Wisconsin with Republicans in the state legislature refusing to postpone the election tomorrow so that citizens in urban locations (i.e. Dem strongholds) won't vote due to fears of the pandemic. This is all in order to win a state Supreme Court election. Not only that, but absentee ballots are not arriving for people in the mail even though they ordered the ballots weeks ago. Thousands will be unable to vote now because of this. Seriously shady s**t going on right now in Wisconsin and unfortunately getting no media attention.

which party refused to accept the results of the 2016 election.

there is no point in having a conversation about democracy without including the fact that one side refused to accept Donald Trump as the President after the 2016 election. some were able to manipulate others that Trump must have cheated, and of course that wasn't true.
    there was literally a trending hashtag #NotMyPresident.

this is something someone said..

“Women are dying because we are losing elections,”
    "We don’t have the right to lose a damn election. We have to win. We have to win.”

who said that? Democrat Keith Ellison.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/383...sing-elections

Keith Ellison: 'Women are dying because we are losing elections'

don't get your panties in a bunch because you don't like what I'm posting.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

a person is smart. people are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals.
    #TrumpDerangementSyndrome
    the anti-Trump movement seems to be getting dumber

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialFNK View Post
    which party refused to accept the results of the 2016 election.

there is no point in having a conversation about democracy without including the fact that one side refused to accept Donald Trump as the President after the 2016 election. some were able to manipulate others that Trump must have cheated, and of course that wasn't true.
    there was literally a trending hashtag #NotMyPresident.

this is something someone said..

“Women are dying because we are losing elections,”
    "We don’t have the right to lose a damn election. We have to win. We have to win.”

who said that? Democrat Keith Ellison.

http://thehill.com/homenews/news/383...sing-elections
    #buthwhatabout

Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast