Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    LOL, now that is funny.

Clay, you having the annual meeting this year? I'll attend.
    Like everything else, he may have to hold it virtually this year. We'll see.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

John Olerud is seriously underrated in general. In January of 1989 he suffered a brain aneursym while still in college and by September of that same year he would be donning a Blue Jays uniform having not played one single minor league game.

Could you imagine that Cito Gaston actually didn't like him because he thought he wasn't aggressive enough at the plate? Lol. .398 OBP. How awful.

One of my two or three favorite Mets of all time. Wish he would have been on that 2000 team. Maybe they win that WS with him on it.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-11-2020 at 02:27 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    John Olerud is seriously underrated in general. In January of 1989 he suffered a brain aneursym while still in college and by September of that same year he would be donning a Blue Jays uniform having not played one single minor league game.

Could you imagine that Cito Gaston actually didn't like him because he thought he wasn't aggressive enough at the plate? Lol. .398 OBP. How awful.

One of my two or three favorite Mets of all time. Wish he would have been on that 2000 team. Maybe they win that WS with him on it.
    Loved olerud!

Pretty good picks but calling hojo a SS is offensive to SS not to mention Reyes was better anyway. Would be interesting to see a full 25 man roster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don Hahn was the second coming of Don Bosch.

I agree that Jon Olerud is seriously underrated and the only Met at 1B that can give Keith any competition. But Keith had more years and a championship.

Don Hahn was the second coming of Don Bosch. But we should not be too tough on him since he was part of the trade that brought John Stearns to the Mets.

I agree that Jon Olerud is seriously underrated and the only Met at 1B that can give Keith significant competition. But Keith had more years and a championship.

I’d also give Clendenon and Kranepool honorable mentions at 1B for opposite reasons. Clendenon had one excellent season (1970) and, of course, one great World Series. Kranepool never had an excellent season but hung around for 18 years.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-10-2020 at 11:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Don Hahn was the second coming of Don Bosch. But we should not be too tough on him since he was part of the trade that brought John Stearns to the Mets.

I agree that Jon Olerud is seriously underrated and the only Met at 1B that can give Keith significant competition. But Keith had more years and a championship.

I’d also give Clendenon and Kranepool honorable mentions at 1B for opposite reasons. Clendenon had one excellent season (1970) and, of course, one great World Series. Kranepool never had an excellent season but hung around for 18 years.
    Not at all.

Bosch couldn't hit. Couldn't field. Couldn't really do anything well. Hahn admittedly couldn't hit but he was an outstanding centerfielder who provided the glue up the middle defensively to help. He was a very important component to that 1973 Pennant winning team. And I submit that were it not for a foolish rotation choice by his manager, he might have been the centerfielder of the 1973 World Champion.

Sigh.

At any rate, let's not put those two players in the same category despite their sharing the same first name.

As for Clendenon, well, of course he was the final piece of the 1969 Championship Team. It's not like he was invisible until the World Series started. He's a worthy honorable mention. And I also agree with making Kranepool an honorable mention simply because he was the most prolific Met in franchise history.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 05-11-2020 at 04:14 PM.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

The reason I put them in the same sentence is that the Mets gave up a key player for each because they were were both supposed to be the long-term answer in CF. And Bosch was supposed to be an excellent fielder. But even if he had eventually shown that, he could never hit. Which was for the best, because if he had panned out, the Mets would not have traded for Agee.

I will give you that Hahn was able to hit over .200 and hung around longer.

The reason I put them in the same sentence is that the Mets gave up a key player for each because they were were both supposed to be the long-term answer in CF. And Bosch was supposed to be an excellent fielder. But even if he had eventually shown that, he could never hit. Which was for the best, because if he had panned out, the Mets would not have traded for Agee.

I will give you that Hahn was able to hit over .200 and hung around longer.
    Dennis Ribant was a key player?

Interesting about Bosch and Agee. Agee was Hodges' baby who wanted him when he came over from the Senators. Mets gave up a hell of a hitter in Tommy Davis to get Agee hadn't been doing well with the White Sox. But Hodges was a big Agee fan and it was hoped that in reuniting him with his old buddy from Mobile, Cleon Jones, it might revive him. Ironically, in '68, Agee didn't fare too much better than Bosch in his first season as a Met.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Dennis Ribant was a key player?

Interesting about Bosch and Agee. Agee was Hodges' baby who wanted him when he came over from the Senators. Mets gave up a hell of a hitter in Tommy Davis to get Agee hadn't been doing well with the White Sox. But Hodges was a big Agee fan and it was hoped that in reuniting him with his old buddy from Mobile, Cleon Jones, it might revive him. Ironically, in '68, Agee didn't fare too much better than Bosch in his first season as a Met.
    Dennis Ribant was the first Mets starting pitcher to have a winning record in a season and quickly became a fan favorite including Joan Payson.

How quickly they forget! :-)

Getting back to Matt Snyder’s picks,
    I agree that picking HoJo at SS is stupid although having him on the all-time bench is good because he can backup three positions. If not Reyes, the clear SS pick would be Bud Harrelson, but I give Reyes the edge.

I agree with Snyder’s other lineup picks, but the order of his lineup is bizarre. He has Wright leading off but David didn’t lead off once in his entire MLB career.

My lineup:

1.Reyes is the only true lead-off hitter. Fonz and Cleon also did it occasionally.
    2. I’d put Beltran in the 2nd spot -which he did a bit - to get him near the top of the lineup. Fonz was a true 2-spot hitter and our backup choice.
    3. Wright was a true #3 hitter and gets the nod over Keith, Cleon, and Beltran.
    4. Piazza at clean-up with Straw the backup.
    5. Straw usually batted 5th early in his career behind Keith & Carter.
    6. Keith dropped to 5th & 6th in the lineup frequently in his last Mets season.
    7. Fonz batted all over the Mets lineup during his career.
    8. Cleon gets this spot only because someone must bat 8th. Cleon did bat 8th three times early in his career.

The 5-man bench would be Carter, HoJo, Mookie, Murphy, and Olerud. Murphy gets a nod because they need a backup at 2B. Note that Carter also played 1B and 3B. Honorable mentions to Rusty Staub, Jerry Grote, Felix Millan, Ron Hunt, Harrelson, McReynolds, Agee, and Frank Thomas.

My pitching rotation would be Seaver, Koosman, Gooden, de Grom, and Darling in that order. Ron gets a slight edge over Fernandez and Matlack. Other honorable mentions to Leiter, Reed, Cone, and Al Jackson.

Lefty Relievers are Orosco, Tug, and Franco in that order. Honorable mentions to Denis Cook and Pedro Feliciano.

Righty Relievers are McDowell, Wendell, Wagner, and Ron Taylor. Honorable mentions to Skippy Lockwood and Benitez.

As for DH, Piazza did it 34 times in his Mets career. Letting him DH for the All-Tine team would get Carter in the starting lineup. The only other Mets to DH in ten or more games are Lucas Duda snd Cliff Floyd.
    Last edited by Halfmiler2; 05-12-2020 at 12:38 AM.

Dennis Ribant was the first Mets starting pitcher to have a winning record in a season and quickly became a fan favorite including Joan Payson.

How quickly they forget! :-)
    After leaving the Mets he would go on to rack up all of 23 decisions, going 11-12 for a handful or so teams. His career was over at age 27.

The Mets back then were notorious for hoarding quality pitching so letting go of Ribant fell right into that strategy. Only in 1969 did they finallly trade a pitcher who would go on to have a lengthy career. Steve Renko would record more tgan 200 decisions with rhe Expos and the Royals. So who did the Mets think was finally worthwhile to trade for a pitcher with such upside?

Donn Clendenon.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123