Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 41
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Hojo didn't move to 3rd because of Elster.
    Right. Where did that come from?

    Considering he moved to 3B for Elster.
    Mookie, 'splain?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2019
    Posts
    2,322
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Doug Sisk deserves the nod.
    He was fustrating to watch, always a lot of deep counts.

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Right. Where did that come from?



    Mookie, 'splain?
    There was experimentation with him at SS in the Tigers farm system as well as the OF. My theory was that if they would have retained Knight, Knight would have played 3B and Hojo at SS. But at the time Elster was coming up and a heck of a defensive SS. So to me it would have been Hojo's bat at SS and Elster spelling him defensively.

    But Knight was not retained, they moved Hojo to 3B and Elster slid into SS. Knight's other position, 1B, was blocked by Hernandez.

    They also had Kevin Mitchell who was primarily a 3B in the Mets minors. They started to convert him to OF.

    As for Hojo vs Mitchell at 3B, that would have been a fun competition, but probably would have gone to Hojo since he had more at bats in the majors. Both are separated by 1 year of age.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,122
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    There was experimentation with him at SS in the Tigers farm system as well as the OF. My theory was that if they would have retained Knight, Knight would have played 3B and Hojo at SS. But at the time Elster was coming up and a heck of a defensive SS. So to me it would have been Hojo's bat at SS and Elster spelling him defensively.

    But Knight was not retained, they moved Hojo to 3B and Elster slid into SS. Knight's other position, 1B, was blocked by Hernandez.

    They also had Kevin Mitchell who was primarily a 3B in the Mets minors. They started to convert him to OF.

    As for Hojo vs Mitchell at 3B, that would have been a fun competition, but probably would have gone to Hojo since he had more at bats in the majors. Both are separated by 1 year of age.
    HoJo wasnt going to be the reg SS regardless of what happened with Knight. He was a versatile 3B.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    HoJo wasnt going to be the reg SS regardless of what happened with Knight. He was a versatile 3B.
    That is why I said it was my theory. Didn't say it was right.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,122
    Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    That is why I said it was my theory. Didn't say it was right.
    Lol. You're a mensch.

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bklyn/Denver/LA/Denver/LA/Tucson
    Posts
    26,589
    In my opinion, SS - I'll take Jose Reyes, backed by Bud Harrelson.

    RP- Tug McGraw, backed by Franco.

    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

    uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    In my opinion, SS - I'll take Jose Reyes, backed by Bud Harrelson.

    RP- Tug McGraw, backed by Franco.
    Ya Gotta Believe Paulie


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Bklyn/Denver/LA/Denver/LA/Tucson
    Posts
    26,589
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Ya Gotta Believe Paulie
    I do. I do.

    Lol!

    Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

    Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

    uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Posts
    80
    Sisk was the 3rd man in the bullpen by 1986. It has to be Tug or Jesse. Id pick Franco or McDowell or Skippy Lockwood before Sisk.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Sisk was the 3rd man in the bullpen by 1986. It has to be Tug or Jesse. Id pick Franco or McDowell or Skippy Lockwood before Sisk.
    Sisk had a very short shelf life. And for those keeping score at home. Clay was being sarcastic. He's President of the Doug Sisk Sucks Club that still holds annual meetings at the Holiday Inn in Woodbridge, New Jersey every November. It's actually a fun time if you can make it. Last year they gave out prizes to the worst parking job in the hotel lot. But I digress.

    Sisk was very good from 1983 until the first half in 1984. He hurt his arm on a comebacker in a doubleheader against the Cubs. He threw the ball into centerfield. He was out for a few weeks if memory serves, and when he came back, batters stopped swinging at his sinker. His career, for all intents and purposes, was over. Unfortunately, he still continued to pitch, for lack of a better verb, for the Mets.

    And that was a shame.

    A few years later, Clay started holding his annual meetings.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,020
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Sisk had a very short shelf life. And for those keeping score at home. Clay was being sarcastic. He's President of the Doug Sisk Sucks Club that still holds annual meetings at the Holiday Inn in Woodbridge, New Jersey every November. It's actually a fun time if you can make it. Last year they gave out prizes to the worst parking job in the hotel lot. But I digress.

    Sisk was very good from 1983 until the first half in 1984. He hurt his arm on a comebacker in a doubleheader against the Cubs. He threw the ball into centerfield. He was out for a few weeks if memory serves, and when he came back, batters stopped swinging at his sinker. His career, for all intents and purposes, was over. Unfortunately, he still continued to pitch, for lack of a better verb, for the Mets.

    And that was a shame.

    A few years later, Clay started holding his annual meetings.
    Good Times


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    50,020
    The lack of love for Don Hahn is quite disturbing.


    "You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    46,122
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    The lack of love for Don Hahn is quite disturbing.
    Taught me never to trust a player with rhyming names. That said:

    We got him for Ron Swoboda. Very underrated trade. Hahn couldn't hit much but he played a very nice center field.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Shea Stadium
    Posts
    719
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Sisk had a very short shelf life. And for those keeping score at home. Clay was being sarcastic. He's President of the Doug Sisk Sucks Club that still holds annual meetings at the Holiday Inn in Woodbridge, New Jersey every November. It's actually a fun time if you can make it. Last year they gave out prizes to the worst parking job in the hotel lot. But I digress.

    Sisk was very good from 1983 until the first half in 1984. He hurt his arm on a comebacker in a doubleheader against the Cubs. He threw the ball into centerfield. He was out for a few weeks if memory serves, and when he came back, batters stopped swinging at his sinker. His career, for all intents and purposes, was over. Unfortunately, he still continued to pitch, for lack of a better verb, for the Mets.

    And that was a shame.

    A few years later, Clay started holding his annual meetings.
    LOL, now that is funny.

    Clay, you having the annual meeting this year? I'll attend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •