Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Claymation View Post
    Hojo didn't move to 3rd because of Elster.
    Right. Where did that come from?

Considering he moved to 3B for Elster.
    Mookie, 'splain?
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Doug Sisk deserves the nod.
    He was fustrating to watch, always a lot of deep counts.

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    Right. Where did that come from?

Mookie, 'splain?
    There was experimentation with him at SS in the Tigers farm system as well as the OF. My theory was that if they would have retained Knight, Knight would have played 3B and Hojo at SS. But at the time Elster was coming up and a heck of a defensive SS. So to me it would have been Hojo's bat at SS and Elster spelling him defensively.

But Knight was not retained, they moved Hojo to 3B and Elster slid into SS. Knight's other position, 1B, was blocked by Hernandez.

They also had Kevin Mitchell who was primarily a 3B in the Mets minors. They started to convert him to OF.

As for Hojo vs Mitchell at 3B, that would have been a fun competition, but probably would have gone to Hojo since he had more at bats in the majors. Both are separated by 1 year of age.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    There was experimentation with him at SS in the Tigers farm system as well as the OF. My theory was that if they would have retained Knight, Knight would have played 3B and Hojo at SS. But at the time Elster was coming up and a heck of a defensive SS. So to me it would have been Hojo's bat at SS and Elster spelling him defensively.

But Knight was not retained, they moved Hojo to 3B and Elster slid into SS. Knight's other position, 1B, was blocked by Hernandez.

They also had Kevin Mitchell who was primarily a 3B in the Mets minors. They started to convert him to OF.

As for Hojo vs Mitchell at 3B, that would have been a fun competition, but probably would have gone to Hojo since he had more at bats in the majors. Both are separated by 1 year of age.
    HoJo wasnt going to be the reg SS regardless of what happened with Knight. He was a versatile 3B.

HoJo wasnt going to be the reg SS regardless of what happened with Knight. He was a versatile 3B.
    That is why I said it was my theory. Didn't say it was right.

Quote Originally Posted by mookiewilson View Post
    That is why I said it was my theory. Didn't say it was right.
    Lol. You're a mensch.

In my opinion, SS - I'll take Jose Reyes, backed by Bud Harrelson.

RP- Tug McGraw, backed by Franco.

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Paulie6986 View Post
    In my opinion, SS - I'll take Jose Reyes, backed by Bud Harrelson.

RP- Tug McGraw, backed by Franco.
    Ya Gotta Believe Paulie

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

Ya Gotta Believe Paulie
    I do. I do.

Lol!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mets Dieharder Since '63
    Broncos Dieharder Since '73
    Los Angeles Kings Dieharder Since '87

uapeople you're gone, but never forgotten, R.I.P. - SPRING 2011

Sisk was the 3rd man in the bullpen by 1986. It has to be Tug or Jesse. Id pick Franco or McDowell or Skippy Lockwood before Sisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Halfmiler2 View Post
    Sisk was the 3rd man in the bullpen by 1986. It has to be Tug or Jesse. Id pick Franco or McDowell or Skippy Lockwood before Sisk.
    Sisk had a very short shelf life. And for those keeping score at home. Clay was being sarcastic. He's President of the Doug Sisk Sucks Club that still holds annual meetings at the Holiday Inn in Woodbridge, New Jersey every November. It's actually a fun time if you can make it. Last year they gave out prizes to the worst parking job in the hotel lot. But I digress.

Sisk was very good from 1983 until the first half in 1984. He hurt his arm on a comebacker in a doubleheader against the Cubs. He threw the ball into centerfield. He was out for a few weeks if memory serves, and when he came back, batters stopped swinging at his sinker. His career, for all intents and purposes, was over. Unfortunately, he still continued to pitch, for lack of a better verb, for the Mets.

And that was a shame.

A few years later, Clay started holding his annual meetings.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears but they seem kinda sensible...."

Sisk had a very short shelf life. And for those keeping score at home. Clay was being sarcastic. He's President of the Doug Sisk Sucks Club that still holds annual meetings at the Holiday Inn in Woodbridge, New Jersey every November. It's actually a fun time if you can make it. Last year they gave out prizes to the worst parking job in the hotel lot. But I digress.

Sisk was very good from 1983 until the first half in 1984. He hurt his arm on a comebacker in a doubleheader against the Cubs. He threw the ball into centerfield. He was out for a few weeks if memory serves, and when he came back, batters stopped swinging at his sinker. His career, for all intents and purposes, was over. Unfortunately, he still continued to pitch, for lack of a better verb, for the Mets.

And that was a shame.

Good Times

"You don't know how to drink. Your whole generation, you drink for the wrong reasons. My generation, we drink because it's good, because it feels better than unbuttoning your collar, because we deserve it. We drink because it's what men do."

The lack of love for Don Hahn is quite disturbing.

The lack of love for Don Hahn is quite disturbing.
    Taught me never to trust a player with rhyming names. That said:

We got him for Ron Swoboda. Very underrated trade. Hahn couldn't hit much but he played a very nice center field.

And that was a shame.

LOL, now that is funny.

Clay, you having the annual meeting this year? I'll attend.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast