Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    And thats the primary difference between your religion and mine. We don't believe in such consequences. We're we (my father in law and I and others) netted out was that if there was a God and he could let something like the Holocaust happen, maybe it was because he wasnt around to stop it.

Maybe we were worshipping nothing.

And here we are.
    That what I don’t get. It seems like, as Jews, you’d understand the consequences of sin better than most. That you wouldn’t put the blame for the fall of man on God Himself.

Do you think that Jews historically believed that there was no punishment? Or is that a more recent belief?

Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    Good point. But it does say to not forsake the assembling of believers. It hard to call Jesus your lord and then not follow his teaching.
    Come on now. One can follow his teaching without going to church every Sunday.

PSD: Where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

That what I don’t get. It seems like, as Jews, you’d understand the consequences of sin better than most. That you wouldn’t put the blame for the fall of man on God Himself.

Do you think that Jews historically believed that there was no punishment? Or is that a more recent belief?
    Not all Jews are like me. Many are devout in their belief. But when I asked an ultra Orthodox about his take on the Holocaust, he answered, quite honestly, "I don't know. We don't know."

There is no fear of punishment. There is perhaps an inner disappointment with letting God down by not being the best Jew you can be which is akin tp being the best person you can be. That's what the reward is. Not freedom from punishment.

As for me, it's not that I ever blamed God. I just saw no reason to believe he ever existed. My Father in Law said it differently though. He said, if there is a God, I don't like him!
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 04-10-2020 at 10:04 PM.

Good point. But it does say to not forsake the assembling of believers. It hard to call Jesus your lord and then not follow his teaching.
    Beg to differ. Millions upon millions call Jesus their Lord and Savior and forsake his teachings.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Come on now. One can follow his teaching without going to church every Sunday.
    How much bible teaching have you studied? Or taught? I just want o know where to start in addressing your assertion.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Beg to differ. Millions upon millions call Jesus their Lord and Savior and forsake his teachings.
    I think you and I would agree that those are NOT his followers then.

Are you saying that “faithful” Jews don’t believe in hell? There’s quite a few verses in the OT that speak about it.

Fan, I’ve been reading more rabbinical teachings than I have ever before. It’s interesting from a Christian standpoint. I’ve always wondered what the Jews believed or what they taught prior to Christianity. Here is an interesting thought....

Jews don’t care what you believe but what you do.

Christians don't think what you do is as important as what you believe. But having said that, we would say that what you believe affects what you do.

And thats the primary difference between your religion and mine. We don't believe in such consequences.
    Theres no concept of heaven and hell in your religion judaism?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    Theres no concept of heaven and hell in your religion judaism?

Correct. Those do not motivate us to follow the path of God. To us (Jews) faith runs much deeper than fear. It's based on a true love of God rather than fear. He's going to protect us (yeah, right) here on Earth, And most of all, we worship Himbecause our TRADITION tells us to do so. TRADITION!

https://youtu.be/sWSoYCetG6A

That's really what it's all about.

Grammar: Jews, by the way, never write "God." It's always "G-d." Why? Because it is considered wrong to reproduce "God" in any way shape or form either in words or pictures. See, this text might get deleted at some point. That would would be like deleting "God." So you safeguard yourself by writing G-d." Of course, that G-d is no less an arbitrary representation of "God" than "God" goes over the head of many religious Jews. But whatever.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 04-11-2020 at 07:00 AM.

Fan, I’ve been reading more rabbinical teachings than I have ever before. It’s interesting from a Christian standpoint. I’ve always wondered what the Jews believed or what they taught prior to Christianity. Here is an interesting thought....

Jews don’t care what you believe but what you do.

Christians don't think what you do is as important as what you believe. But having said that, we would say that what you believe affects what you do.
    I think you can say that of everyone, regardless of faith. It's based on the individuak how much their beliefs influence their actions.

How one labels oneself -- Jew, Christian, Catholic, Mormon, Muslim, Atheist, whatever -- probably has little to do with that.

Are you saying that “faithful” Jews don’t believe in hell? There’s quite a few verses in the OT that speak about it.
    Yes, that's what I'm saying. Most observant Jews will tell you those references are allegorical, not literal. Remember, there's no Jesus. There's no rescue mechanism. There's no "Believe this or that will happen to you." The idea of the 613 Mitzvot isnt that if you miss one or two or 27 or however many, you'll spend eternity in a firery inferno. There's no standard that is spelled out the way it is in your book: Believe in me or you will burn.

Be a good Jew. Honor the 10 commandments. Observe as many of the Mitzvot as you can. Try hard, try your best and serve God. You'll be fine. You are of the Chosen. Lol paraphrasing, of course.

Yes, that's what I'm saying. Most observant Jews will tell you those references are allegorical, not literal. Remember, there's no Jesus. There's no rescue mechanism. There's no "Believe this or that will happen to you." The idea of the 613 Mitzvot isnt that if you miss one or two or 27 or however many, you'll spend eternity in a firery inferno. There's no standard that is spelled out the way it is in your book: Believe in me or you will burn.

Be a good Jew. Honor the 10 commandments. Observe as many of the Mitzvot as you can. Try hard, try your best and serve God. You'll be fine. You are of the Chosen. Lol paraphrasing, of course.
    If that's the Jewish outlook then why did they ask for proof regarding god so much?

RAIDERS, SHARKS, WARRIORS

"i don't believe in mysteries but still i pray for my sister, when speaking to the higher power that listens, to the lifeless vision of freedom everytime we're imprisoned, to the righteous victims of people of a higher position" - planet asia, old timer thoughts

"God is Universal he is the Ruler Universal" - gangstarr (rip guru), robbin hood theory

"don't gain the world and lose your soul, wisdom is better than silver and gold" - bob marley, zion train

This would do it.

https://m.worldstarhiphop.com/androi...842HmKPX68c81G

But the virus would have to suddenly disappear by the end of the week. Non negotiable.
    I do not know what you meant by “the end of the week”, but it looks like time is running out — if it hasn’t already.

And I had such high hopes for you...

Quote Originally Posted by nastynice View Post
    If that's the Jewish outlook then why did they ask for proof regarding god so much?

Lol. I think you're confusing FoC the Jew with FoC the Atheist. But I can see how that might happen.

On a serious note, Jews are encouraged to always ask questions, to be skeptical. It is part of scholarship, highly valued in Jewish culture.
    Last edited by fanofclendennon; 04-11-2020 at 01:20 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast