Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The20thK View Post
    I know what the Passover is Exodus. Admittedly, I don’t know how Jews celebrate it today.

That lamb in Passover was taken into the house for a week. Looked over and analyzed for blemishes. If none were found, the lamb would be sacrificed and the blood placed on the doorpost.( as you said) That act of sacrificing a lamb, saved Israel from death.

Go beyond the Exodus story. How were the sins of Israel atoned for? And when?
    We celebrate it today by telling the the story at a ceremonial dinner called a "Seder." We read from books called the Haggada which tell the story of Exodus. And for the entire week of Passover we dont eat bread or anything with leavening agents in them. Because as we were fleeing from the Egyptans through the dessert, there wasnt time for the dough to rise. We had to eat unleavened bread to survive. So instead of eating bread on Passover, we'll eat Matzoh, or unleavened bread.

Attoning for our sins is another matter. We do that on Yom Kippur by praying and by fasting for 24 hours, and by asking God to forgive us for our sins and also by asking each person in our lives to forgive us for any transgressions we may have committed toward them.

Because in Judaism, thats how we roll.

So at Passover there was a sacrificial lamb to protect Israel.

At Yom Kippur, there were blood sacrifices to atone for sins.

Christians believe that Jesus was the once and for all sacrifice for all of mankind’s sins.

There hasn’t been a true Yom Kippur since 70 AD right? No temple, no temple sacrifices?

So at Passover there was a sacrificial lamb to protect Israel.

At Yom Kippur, there were blood sacrifices to atone for sins.

Christians believe that Jesus was the once and for all sacrifice for all of mankind’s sins.

There hasn’t been a true Yom Kippur since 70 AD right? No temple, no temple sacrifices?
    First I'm hearing of the Blood Sacrifices. To be fair and perfectly honest I have no idea what happened at 70 AD. I'm only referring to how Yom Kippur iso observed now which is all I know. It's part of the New Year observance which begins at Rosh Hoshana, the actual Jewish New Year.

You might know more about this than I do.
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

Quote Originally Posted by fanofclendennon View Post
    First I'm hearing of the Blood Sacrifices. To be fair and perfectly honest I have no idea what happened at 70 AD. I'm only referring to how Yom Kippur iso observed now which is all I know. It's part of the New Year observance which begins at Rosh Hoshana, the actual Jewish New Year.

You might know more about this than I do.
    70 AD was when the Romans destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem, effectively making sacrifices impossible. Up until then, once a year on The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), the High Priest would be allowed in the Holy of Holies to sprinkle blood on the Ark of the Covenant to atone for the sins of Israel.

There is talk, now, if rebuilding the temple but the Dome on the Rock (Islamic site) sits in the on the sight where the temple was. So they’d have to destroy it first. That shouldn’t cause any issues. Lol

Interestingly, many Christians believe that the antichrist won’t return until that temple is built. They’re is a belief, based on the Book of Revelation, that he will set himself up as god in the temple.

70 AD was when the Romans destroyed the Temple in Jerusalem, effectively making sacrifices impossible. Up until then, once a year on The Day of Atonement (Yom Kippur), the High Priest would be allowed in the Holy of Holies to sprinkle blood on the Ark of the Covenant to atone for the sins of Israel.

There is talk, now, if rebuilding the temple but the Dome on the Rock (Islamic site) sits in the on the sight where the temple was. So they’d have to destroy it first. That shouldn’t cause any issues. Lol

Interestingly, many Christians believe that the antichrist won’t return until that temple is built. They’re is a belief, based on the Book of Revelation, that he will set himself up as god in the temple.
    Lol!!! So funny! As I had never heard of the Blood Sacrifice in all of my travels as a Jew I did a Google Search. And low and behold where was I led to? A Jews for Jesus site! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    "Ain't got the call no more. Got a lot of sinful idears – but they seem kinda sensible...."

History and Significance of Yom Kippur
    According to tradition, the first Yom Kippur took place after the Israelites’ exodus from Egypt and arrival at Mount Sinai, where God gave Moses the Ten Commandments. Descending from the mountain, Moses caught his people worshipping a golden calf and shattered the sacred tablets in anger. Because the Israelites atoned for their idolatry, God forgave their sins and offered Moses a second set of tablets.
    I just pulled this off the History Channel site. That's what you were telling me, 20th K. Until now, it never dawned on me before that Yom Kippur was connected with the story of Exodus. You taught me something!

I just pulled this off the History Channel site. That's what you were telling me, 20th K. Until now, it never dawned on me before that Yom Kippur was connected with the story of Exodus. You taught me something!
    I believe the phrase “even a broken clock is right twice a day” may be running through your head lol

Lol!!! So funny! As I had never heard of the Blood Sacrifice in all of my travels as a Jew I did a Google Search. And low and behold where was I led to? A Jews for Jesus site! Hahahahahahahaha!!!!!!
    But surely you found blood sacrifices beyond the JfJ site right?

But surely you found blood sacrifices beyond the JfJ site right?
    I had to go back deep. What you're talking about very few Jews are familiar with. But yes, it is certainly there. We just don't talk about it anymore lol.

I had to go back deep. What you're talking about very few Jews are familiar with. But yes, it is certainly there. We just don't talk about it anymore lol.
    Lol yeah I bet you had to go back 1950 years...

You’re life is very interesting to me. You are so disconnected with your people spiritually but at the same time it seems like you feel such a physical connection to them. I can’t wrap my head around it.

Lol yeah I bet you had to go back 1950 years...

You’re life is very interesting to me. You are so disconnected with your people spiritually but at the same time it seems like you feel such a physical connection to them. I can’t wrap my head around it.
    Ha!

There are a lot of Jews like me. I'm divorced and when I was married I probably got along with my father in law better than I did with my wife. He had been raised as an Orthodox Jew. Could read Hebrew backward and forwards, spoke Yiddish better than anyone I ever knew. And to hear him tell it, by the time he had turned 18, he was so fed up with religion he had had it. The man had become 100 percent atheist.

And a prouder Jew you'd never see.

Ha!

There are a lot of Jews like me. I'm divorced and when I was married I probably got along with my father in law better than I did with my wife. He had been raised as an Orthodox Jew. Could read Hebrew backward and forwards, spoke Yiddish better than anyone I ever knew. And to hear him tell it, by the time he had turned 18, he was so fed up with religion he had had it. The man had become 100 percent atheist.

And a prouder Jew you'd never see.
    I get the “fed up with religion” part. I guess I just don’t let how others (within my faith) affect how I feel about my faith.

I told the guy who talked to me about Jesus that the reason that I would ever go to church, especially a Christian church, is because it is filled with hypocrites.

His response?

“You’re right, but you’re going to spend time with hypocrites in church or in hell... it’s your choice”

I chose the former a few weeks later.

I get the “fed up with religion” part. I guess I just don’t let how others (within my faith) affect how I feel about my faith.

I told the guy who talked to me about Jesus that the reason that I would ever go to church, especially a Christian church, is because it is filled with hypocrites.

His response?

“You’re right, but you’re going to spend time with hypocrites in church or in hell... it’s your choice”

I chose the former a few weeks later.
    And thats the primary difference between your religion and mine. We don't believe in such consequences. We're we (my father in law and I and others) netted out was that if there was a God and he could let something like the Holocaust happen, maybe it was because he wasnt around to stop it.

Maybe we were worshipping nothing.

And here we are.

Pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere in the bible that if you don't go to church, you'll go to hell.

PSD: Where the moderators consistently cave to crybaby tattletales and it's a lot safer to be openly racist, hateful, and ignorant than to be a little rude to the racist, hateful, and ignorant

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Pretty sure it doesn't say anywhere in the bible that if you don't go to church, you'll go to hell.
    Good point. But it does say to not forsake the assembling of believers. It hard to call Jesus your lord and then not follow his teaching.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast