Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast
Results 76 to 90 of 406
  1. #76
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,600
    Quote Originally Posted by ManningToTyree View Post
    The lottery should be unaffected if the season is canceled there is no justification for the elite teams to have the same odds as the worst. The whole point of the lottery is to have parity.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree 100%.

    But I did like the idea that 1-14 is still the lottery but maybe do something for 15-30 as well, be it they all do a separate lottery or even tiered such as 15-19, 20-24 and 25-30.

  2. #77
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,950
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I agree 100%.

    But I did like the idea that 1-14 is still the lottery but maybe do something for 15-30 as well, be it they all do a separate lottery or even tiered such as 15-19, 20-24 and 25-30.
    15-30 is put in the draft based on regular season record, not playoff ousting like it is in the NFL, so I'm not sure they really need anything TBH. I see it no different as a lockout/strike shortened season where we still say 50 games. This regular season has been just as long.

  3. #78
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I'm trying to figure out how good teams get screwed by keeping the draft the same.

    1-14 is lottery of the 14 worst records. 16-30 is based on regular season record. Unless someone saying "good teams gets screwed" says that all the time or honestly thinks a 3-4 seed would plummet all the way out of the playoffs with 20-30 games left, you are talking out your ***. The only real "damage" is 7-8-9-10 seed areas.

    Even at that:
    EAST (3 teams already clinched playoff births)
    7) BKN --- (8.5 back of 6 seed)
    8) ORL 0.5 (9 back of 6 seed)
    9) WSH 6 (14.5 back of 6 seed)
    10) CHA 7.5 (16 back of 6 seed)

    WEST (1 team clinched)
    7) DAL --- (1.5 back of 5/6 seed)
    8) MEM 7 (8.5 back of 5/6 seed)
    9) POR 10.5 (12 back of 5/6 seed)
    9) NO 10.5 (12 back of 5/6 seed)
    9) SAC 10.5 (12 back of 5/6 seed)

    I think these are some of the "cleanest" breaks I've seen in a long time at the bottom of both conferences that ending it early actually makes sense.

    But if you are that convinced that when there's a playoffs good teams don't get screwed and they are getting screwed now, I got beachfront property in Kansas for you.
    Theyre getting screwed because they wont be rewarded with a playoffs to compete in... it has nothing to do with the draft.

    The solution is to have the playoffs whenever that may be.... July, August, September, who cares just have them.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  4. #79
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    33,463
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    The wheel is the worst idea ever proposed and I will fight on that.

    The team drafting idea is almost just as bad. Teams would be working to actively sabotage each other.
    The wheel is just a system where every team gets the first pick every 30 years. I don't like it either, but it would eliminate this discussion.

    How can team drafting lead to teams sabotaging each other without sabotaging themselves?

  5. #80
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    5,082
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The wheel is just a system where every team gets the first pick every 30 years. I don't like it either, but it would eliminate this discussion.

    How can team drafting lead to teams sabotaging each other without sabotaging themselves?
    Do you go from 1st to 30 then back to 2 to 29?

    How would you do it?

    Also would hurt parity. And probably revenue depending on where the team is and where they are drafting.

  6. #81
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,950
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The wheel is just a system where every team gets the first pick every 30 years. I don't like it either, but it would eliminate this discussion.

    How can team drafting lead to teams sabotaging each other without sabotaging themselves?
    There’s honestly no discussion to be had here. I’ve yet to see a compelling argument that no playoffs mean teams get screwed and therefore deserve odds at the number one pick.

    And honestly just go back and relook at any thread on the topic of draft reform. The idea of tying your draft position to another team never makes any sense or gains any traction.

  7. #82
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,950
    Quote Originally Posted by tp13baby View Post
    Do you go from 1st to 30 then back to 2 to 29?

    How would you do it?

    Also would hurt parity. And probably revenue depending on where the team is and where they are drafting.
    There’s articles about it. You get a top 5 pick every 5 years with this and #1 every 30 years, you get #2 half way through (so if #1 is considered year 1 of your loop, #2 would be 15 years later).

    The problem is it doesn’t account for weak vs strong drafts. So a team might have the #3 pick in a crap draft and doesn’t pick top 5 for another 5 years and are stuck. It doesn’t account for what draft eligible players might do. If say Cleveland had the #1 pick this year, and GSW had it next year, and I was a SF that is the presumed #1 pick, why not wait a year. Get drafted to a better team with a need at my position.

    It would also massively effect the trade market. Teams do deals with protections because they know the protection can only last so long. If a team could protect a pick top 5 for 2 years, that means in year 3 it could be more valuable when it’s unprotected. With the wheel and knowing exactly what pick it is, there’s some deals I doubt get done.

  8. #83
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    The wheel is just a system where every team gets the first pick every 30 years. I don't like it either, but it would eliminate this discussion.

    How can team drafting lead to teams sabotaging each other without sabotaging themselves?
    It would eliminate teams trying to tank, and it would eliminate all these protections teams build into trades... I would admittedly not be a fan of it, but it does have its benefits.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  9. #84
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    There’s articles about it. You get a top 5 pick every 5 years with this and #1 every 30 years, you get #2 half way through (so if #1 is considered year 1 of your loop, #2 would be 15 years later).

    The problem is it doesn’t account for weak vs strong drafts. So a team might have the #3 pick in a crap draft and doesn’t pick top 5 for another 5 years and are stuck. It doesn’t account for what draft eligible players might do. If say Cleveland had the #1 pick this year, and GSW had it next year, and I was a SF that is the presumed #1 pick, why not wait a year. Get drafted to a better team with a need at my position.

    It would also massively effect the trade market. Teams do deals with protections because they know the protection can only last so long. If a team could protect a pick top 5 for 2 years, that means in year 3 it could be more valuable when it’s unprotected. With the wheel and knowing exactly what pick it is, there’s some deals I doubt get done.
    Most kids wont wait to get paid millions of dollars. Especially when they see all these NBA players saying I want to be traded to team X, and they end up there. Take the money, gut it out for a year or 2 then just tell the GM what team you want to play for and end up there.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  10. #85
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,950

    The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Most kids wont wait to get paid millions of dollars. Especially when they see all these NBA players saying I want to be traded to team X, and they end up there. Take the money, gut it out for a year or 2 then just tell the GM what team you want to play for and end up there.
    How often do rookies and second year players demand a trade and get it? Especially good ones.

    Edit:
    Also the premise of it not happening is based on “won’t give up money” rather than “has to turn pro”. Would some players still turn pro anyways? Sure. Would some wait knowing they would be on a better team? Absolutely.
    Last edited by warfelg; 04-07-2020 at 10:23 AM.

  11. #86
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,600
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    15-30 is put in the draft based on regular season record, not playoff ousting like it is in the NFL, so I'm not sure they really need anything TBH. I see it no different as a lockout/strike shortened season where we still say 50 games. This regular season has been just as long.
    I understand that but using any lockout season as a comparison is apples to oranges because those seasons always had a playoffs and champion at the end. Tell me a time that there was no playoffs and/or no champion in the NBA, then that would be your comparison for how this draft should be handled. Its a one off situation. I'm not ignorant enough to think 15 through 30 should be able to get a top 10 pick but if they did a separate lottery for 15 through 30 to seed them, then so be. Just telling the Lakers, Clippers and Bucks sorry no championship and crappy draft position seems just as ignorant. There's a middle ground there somewhere.

    Or do you just want to give the Bucks the title since they had the best record?

  12. #87
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,950
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I understand that but using any lockout season as a comparison is apples to oranges because those seasons always had a playoffs and champion at the end. Tell me a time that there was no playoffs and/or no champion in the NBA, then that would be your comparison for how this draft should be handled. Its a one off situation. I'm not ignorant enough to think 15 through 30 should be able to get a top 10 pick but if they did a separate lottery for 15 through 30 to seed them, then so be. Just telling the Lakers, Clippers and Bucks sorry no championship and crappy draft position seems just as ignorant. There's a middle ground there somewhere.

    Or do you just want to give the Bucks the title since they had the best record?
    I don’t want a good team to be getting a better pick than they should have. So say it’s done this year that way. 2020/21 season happens with a shortened regular season but we have playoffs and the Lakers win, and had the best regular season record. They have a legitimate complaint to being stuck with the 30th pick. Like I said, 15-30 is done based on regular season record. Not having playoffs has no bearing on their draft position.

  13. #88
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    How often do rookies and second year players demand a trade and get it? Especially good ones.

    Edit:
    Also the premise of it not happening is based on “won’t give up money” rather than “has to turn pro”. Would some players still turn pro anyways? Sure. Would some wait knowing they would be on a better team? Absolutely.
    How long has this epidemic of players demanding trades and getting exactly what they want been happening?

    You don't think what we are going through now is even more of a reason for young kids to be in the mindset of getting whats guaranteed today since who knows whats going to happen tomorrow? Even with that, Im not buying it, theres too many variables for maintaining a #1 selection for 2 years in a row. Injuries, You can sit out and not risk injury but another freshman could come in and be better than you(or almost as good, but being more seen recent would play a factor), a team could trade that #1 and you not ending up where you thought you would. It would probably happen once every so often, but it would be so rarely it would be a huuuuuuuge massive deal when it does. I guess there could be instances where a team could somehow get word to a player saying we guarantee we will take you if you wait a year, but I would assume there would be some type of rule against that with severe consequences if violated.
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 04-07-2020 at 11:23 AM.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  14. #89
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,645
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I understand that but using any lockout season as a comparison is apples to oranges because those seasons always had a playoffs and champion at the end. Tell me a time that there was no playoffs and/or no champion in the NBA, then that would be your comparison for how this draft should be handled. Its a one off situation. I'm not ignorant enough to think 15 through 30 should be able to get a top 10 pick but if they did a separate lottery for 15 through 30 to seed them, then so be. Just telling the Lakers, Clippers and Bucks sorry no championship and crappy draft position seems just as ignorant. There's a middle ground there somewhere.

    Or do you just want to give the Bucks the title since they had the best record?
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  15. #90
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,950
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Except we already have the middle ground of draft order based on regular season record outside the lottery. Playoffs have no bearing on it.

Page 6 of 28 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •