Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Ik but I want an example of a time there were no playoffs and/or no champion bc the draft lottery wording is pretty open ended "The NBA draft lottery is an annual event held by the National Basketball Association (NBA), in which the teams who had missed the playoffs participate in a lottery process to determine the draft order in the NBA draft." In that case its everyone, if the playoffs get cancelled.

And I agree, if anyone was worth shooting the breeze at work with, I'd do that but since there's not, my PSD pals it is.
    A blurb from a presser isn't a binding contract. I looked at every instance of "draft" in the CBA and did not find any detail of the actual process for the draft, which means it's in the NBA bylaws not the CBA. (which is here https://cosmic-s3.imgix.net/3c7a0a50...-Agreement.pdf )

The bylaws can be found here: https://ak-static.cms.nba.com/wp-con...tober-2018.pdf

There shall be a drawing among the fourteen
    (14) Teams that do not participate in the Playoffs in the
    preceding Season (the “Lottery Teams”) to determine the
    first four (4) selections. Such drawing shall be made on the
    basis of each participating Team being assigned the
    following odds

Team 1: 14.0%
    Team 2: 14.0%
    Team 3: 14.0%
    Team 4: 12.5%
    Team 5: 10.5%
    Team 6: 9.0%
    Team 7: 7.5%
    Team 8: 6.0%
    Team 9: 4.5%
    Team 10: 3.0%
    Team 11: 2.0%
    Team 12: 1.5%
    Team 13: 1.0%
    Team 14: 0.5%
    The Commissioner shall determine the appropriate
    procedure for breaking ties;
    (ii) The remaining Teams that did not qualify to
    participate in the Playoffs in the preceding Season shall
    then select, in inverse order of their consolidated standings
    at the end of the preceding Season; and
    (iii) The Teams that participate in the Playoffs shall
    then select, in inverse order of their consolidated standings
    at the end of the preceding Season. The foregoing shall
    afford each Team one selection.
    1) The lottery is a drawing among 14 teams. This is explicitly stated in the NBA constitution.
    2) Those lottery teams are non-playoff teams. While there are technically 30 if the season is canceled, the only provision is for 14 lottery teams.
    3) Odds are given for lottery teams to move into the top 4. Again, only 14. Odds are determined by reverse order of the standings at the end of the season. This is AGAIN explicit in the constitution.
    4) Section (ii) says that the remaining teams after the 4 selected not in the playoffs select in reverse order of the standings at the end of the season. That covers all teams in the event of a lack of playoffs.

But most importantly is this:
    7.05. Additional Rules Concerning Draft. The Board of
    Governors shall, from time to time, be free to adopt such additional
    rules and regulations regarding the annual Draft as it shall determine.
    Such rules and regulations shall not be inconsistent with the
    Constitution and By-Laws.
    Any rules and regulations they adopt MUST BE CONSISTENT with what is written in the constitution. They are not permitted to change it without changing the constitution.

I wish we had a like function on this site because I would break it for that post IndyRealist!

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    but but but if they dont allow the playoffs the top teams deserve a shot at the lottery because that is why they played the season.... it will never happen lol... all this talk for nothing. If they do that then they need to reverse all the trades/give back picks and give back picks to teams that lost picks because of their standings etc... not happening
    Ya I was thinking about this. If they declare some weird thing where the results don't matter then do the trades etc in season? Wolves traded cov for a just outside lottery nets pick, not a pick next season when KD is healthy.

Do we get Cov back in these people's scenarios? I would think not but I would guess there will be serious pushback within if they try as well for stuff like this.

Oh I guess Indy answered that one haha

And before anyone suggests it, it takes a 3/4 vote to amend the NBA constitution. That's 23 teams that have to agree to it.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    And before anyone suggests it, it takes a 3/4 vote to amend the NBA constitution. That's 23 teams that have to agree to it.
    And the 14 that have the 14 worse records, thusly ending up with lesser odds at a top 4 pick, would likely never agree to this. Which means there would be only 16 teams backing the change. And even then some might not back it because of the implications.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I would say more when restrictions on gatherings expire than the shelter in place. In China and Wuhan they lifted the shelter in place, but still had tight restrictions on gatherings and travel to (reportedly) keep it down.

I think what makes part of it hard with your idea on designated doctors is that's (1) something that's going to have to be agreed on between players and owners and (2) there's likely players in some remote places or possibly out of the country by that time.

If I had to take an uninformed guess as to why a cancellation hasn't been announced (in order):
    ~ They need to figure out the pay. Players want to get paid something but likely there's going to be some type of deferment agreement.
    ~ They know the offseason schedule needs to change and they are working on the dates.
    ~ They are working on how to start the 2020-21 season.
    ~ They are talking about shifting the entire NBA calendar to starting on Christmas.

I would land on the first two is what's being discussed the most. How will players be compensated and what is the offseason going to look like.
    Agreed.

On the designated doctors, I don't think they'll struggle working with agents and the NBA to find acceptable doctors for physicals.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Agreed.

On the designated doctors, I don't think they'll struggle working with agents and the NBA to find acceptable doctors for physicals.
    I don't think so, but the NFL did it more on the fly. Like Brady and Tampa each put together a list of their top NYC doctors who could check on him, and cross referenced the highest one they both selected. I think if the NBA were to proceed with FA during this they would leave it up to the team and player combo to come up with a doctor rather than pre-designate doctors.

Nice post Indy but there feels something wrong about teams losing/tanking and not having to deal with missing out on the playoffs, while the teams that are winning get nothing. It just feels unfair but I guess it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    “It’s about winning,” Stoudemire said. “You win, you’re going to get on national TV. Simple. In Phoenix, we won — Western Conference finals three, four years, playoffs every year. We won. If you don’t win, nobody really wants to see you.”

Kudos on both posts Indy, good digging there, I had never even thought about the bylaws. Much respect, very thorough.

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    Nice post Indy but there feels something wrong about teams losing/tanking and not having to deal with missing out on the playoffs, while the teams that are winning get nothing. It just feels unfair but I guess it is what it is.

Sent from my SM-A530W using Tapatalk
    I feel like making it 'fair' feels like it's unfair to the teams that were bad. GSW, Cavs, Wolves, Hawks were the 4 worst teams. I know this is a next to impossibility, but what if they got jumped by say....Celtics, Lakers, Nuggets, Bucks? That would take it back into 'unfair' territory by giving better teams a shot at better talent.

I much rather see good teams just have to sit in draft order without playoffs being played than either reward them unjustly with talent, or have a playoffs and allow a team to use a player that wouldn't have been available without the hiatus (looking at the Nets and KD squarely with that one).

I guess long run going into that feels kinda 'participation trophy' like to me.

I wish we had a like function on this site because I would break it for that post IndyRealist!
    It was a good post, but Indy realizes it's not going to change NBAATW's argument at all.

And the 14 that have the 14 worse records, thusly ending up with lesser odds at a top 4 pick, would likely never agree to this. Which means there would be only 16 teams backing the change. And even then some might not back it because of the implications.
    Like the Warriors who tanked to keep their pick. It's a near certainty they would not opt to lose their 1st round pick entirely let alone just dropping down the order.

I don't think so, but the NFL did it more on the fly. Like Brady and Tampa each put together a list of their top NYC doctors who could check on him, and cross referenced the highest one they both selected. I think if the NBA were to proceed with FA during this they would leave it up to the team and player combo to come up with a doctor rather than pre-designate doctors.
    I was talking more about the draft prospects than FA. The FAs I think teams would rely on previous team doctors after Philly's penalty

Quote Originally Posted by aman_13 View Post
    The draft is intended to advantage the lesser teams ... it doing that really has nothing to do with the playoffs.

It does suck to miss out on the playoffs, but there are a LOT of people suffering far worse than NBA players, owners, and fans heck just in sports olympic athletes are screwed worse, they spend 4 years working up to one week and suddenly it's off their calendar, all NCAA championships have been cancelled until further notice, some kids work their whole lives hoping to have a shot at a title and may not be good enough to continue at the next level ... and it's ALL gone for them. NBA players and teams will mostly be back next year and the year after that, and they'll still all be rich (if they didn't blow it all, which is not Corona's fault).

Page 12 of 27 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast