Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast
Results 151 to 165 of 400
  1. #151
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Nice
    Posts
    28,168
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    When was the last time lockout season or otherwise that a season hasn't had a playoffs or champion? I'll wait...
    Lol

  2. #152
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,647

    The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season

    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I've told you, there were anywhere from 15 to 19 games left(depending upon team), you're locking people into positions they otherwise were not guaranteed to be locked into.

    That's almost 1/5 or 1/4 of a season left and you referred to it before as "a few games"... Pfft.
    Yea thatís a few games to me.

    Moving 2-3 spots in the draft based on playing isnít enough to potentially jump a team 12-15 spots if you do it like the actual lottery.

    And so now your argument has changed from its to be fair because no champion to because we still had games left?

    Conversely using that argument if they do manage to have a playoffs should they include more teams because ďhey you never knowĒ? Should they expand the regular lottery because some team could have gone on a losing streak? Should we give certain teams better odds because they were losing before this? Other ones worse odds because they were winning?

    Because the minute they decide to do something like that thereís going to be owners that bring that stuff up. Owners will also want it in future years. Letís say Lakers jump from 29 -> 15, the owners will want to know thatís possible in the future.

    Altering the draft has such a huge fan of worms.

    Besides, MLB and NHL both held drafts with incomplete or cancelled years and used what the records were when play stopped. Not that hard to do.

    Also 15-19 games remaining is 18-23% of the season. In locked out years (50 games twice iirc) they missed 40% of the season and these types of changes were never floated.
    Last edited by warfelg; 04-09-2020 at 01:43 PM.

  3. #153
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,647
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Besides with doing that you would need all 30 teams to agree to it, agree to what the odds are, possibly change the terms of trades, you effect teams financials (pick 15 makes $1.1 mil more than pick 30), scouting would need to change on a dime, possible trades need to change on a dime.

    Changing the date of start of FA, the combine, the draft, summer league is easy. The massive ripple effects of a second lottery is massive.
    Iíd like to see all of this answered BTW.

  4. #154
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,844
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    When was the last time lockout season or otherwise that a season hasn't had a playoffs or champion? I'll wait...
    Playoffs have no bearing on the draft or lottery, so your point is moot.

  5. #155
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    111,868
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Playoffs have no bearing on the draft or lottery, so your point is moot.
    but but but if they dont allow the playoffs the top teams deserve a shot at the lottery because that is why they played the season.... it will never happen lol... all this talk for nothing. If they do that then they need to reverse all the trades/give back picks and give back picks to teams that lost picks because of their standings etc... not happening

  6. #156
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    111,868
    hey i am a sixer fan... id love for all draft chances to be equal this year but it would break the league... imagine the sixers/clippers/lakers/jazz/warriors/raptors/celtics/bucks/rockets getting top 3 picks?????????

  7. #157
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Yea thatís a few games to me.

    Moving 2-3 spots in the draft based on playing isnít enough to potentially jump a team 12-15 spots if you do it like the actual lottery.

    And so now your argument has changed from its to be fair because no champion to because we still had games left?

    Conversely using that argument if they do manage to have a playoffs should they include more teams because ďhey you never knowĒ? Should they expand the regular lottery because some team could have gone on a losing streak? Should we give certain teams better odds because they were losing before this? Other ones worse odds because they were winning?

    Because the minute they decide to do something like that thereís going to be owners that bring that stuff up. Owners will also want it in future years. Letís say Lakers jump from 29 -> 15, the owners will want to know thatís possible in the future.

    Altering the draft has such a huge fan of worms.

    Besides, MLB and NHL both held drafts with incomplete or cancelled years and used what the records were when play stopped. Not that hard to do.

    Also 15-19 games remaining is 18-23% of the season. In locked out years (50 games twice iirc) they missed 40% of the season and these types of changes were never floated.
    Aa already stated, the lockout years ended with playoffs

    I've already told you I'd be fine with groups of 5 in tiers after the top 14

    Anything else that will completely alter the league or CBA that is contracted because of COVID-19, in your own words "If the players union and ownership came together, agreed that 'hey we're not opening cans of worms, but we need some one time exemptions' I truly believe they can get it done. It's going to need to be something to be explored." But god forbid having an open mind about 16 draft spots that were never set in stone

    Stay consistent war 🤘

  8. #158
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    hey i am a sixer fan... id love for all draft chances to be equal this year but it would break the league... imagine the sixers/clippers/lakers/jazz/warriors/raptors/celtics/bucks/rockets getting top 3 picks?????????
    that was never the argument

  9. #159
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Playoffs have no bearing on the draft or lottery, so your point is moot.
    As is your point of bringing up lockout shortened seasons

  10. #160
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,647
    Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    but but but if they dont allow the playoffs the top teams deserve a shot at the lottery because that is why they played the season.... it will never happen lol... all this talk for nothing. If they do that then they need to reverse all the trades/give back picks and give back picks to teams that lost picks because of their standings etc... not happening
    I mean we donít have a pick but we own the OKC if itís not top 20. Itís 22 right now. If that moves up we lose the pick and get 2 2nds next year.

    Our pick at 20 is top 14 protected so if they opened up everything we could legit get that pick back (no chance if they do 2 lotteries for 1-14 and 1-15).

    Everything goes deeper because of future picks tied to these ones, picks traded with protections of teams thinking they wonít have them. Teams budgets would change for 4-5 years based on having a higher pick than anticipated. Scouting would take a bit longer as a team like LAL who have been looking late 1st or even trading the pick away would now have to scout higher or get a team to give up more for the pick.

    There are so many other things that would need to change and be thought of but thereís no answers for that.

  11. #161
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,647

    The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season

    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Aa already stated, the lockout years ended with playoffs

    I've already told you I'd be fine with groups of 5 in tiers after the top 14

    Anything else that will completely alter the league or CBA that is contracted because of COVID-19, in your own words "If the players union and ownership came together, agreed that 'hey we're not opening cans of worms, but we need some one time exemptions' I truly believe they can get it done. It's going to need to be something to be explored." But god forbid having an open mind about 16 draft spots that were never set in stone

    Stay consistent war [emoji869]
    Playoffs have nothing to do with draft order. Just regular seas games played so yes lockout affected years are pertinent to this conversation.

    Also way to take a quote on moving dates out of context to make your argument.

    How about answering any of the questions posed to you about the ripple effects of a change like that.

  12. #162
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,844
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    As is your point of bringing up lockout shortened seasons
    I provided examples of seasons where they didn't play a full schedule and did not adjust the draft in any way. I'm waiting for examples of seasons where they didn't play a full schedule and DID adjust the draft for that reason.

    Also let me say that it's refreshing to be having serious arguments about stupid things again, instead of dealing with stupid arguments about serious things.
    Last edited by IndyRealist; 04-09-2020 at 02:41 PM.

  13. #163
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,647
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I provided examples of seasons where they didn't play a full schedule and did not adjust the draft in any way. I'm waiting for examples of seasons where they didn't play a full schedule and DID adjust the draft for that reason.

    Also let me say that it's refreshing to be having serious arguments about stupid things again, instead of dealing with stupid arguments about serious things.
    They didn't alter the draft but did alter the dates of FA, and things of the like.

  14. #164
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,208
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I provided examples of seasons where they didn't play a full schedule and did not adjust the draft in any way. I'm waiting for examples of seasons where they didn't play a full schedule and DID adjust the draft for that reason.

    Also let me say that it's refreshing to be having serious arguments about stupid things again, instead of dealing with stupid arguments about serious things.
    Ik but I want an example of a time there were no playoffs and/or no champion bc the draft lottery wording is pretty open ended "The NBA draft lottery is an annual event held by the National Basketball Association (NBA), in which the teams who had missed the playoffs participate in a lottery process to determine the draft order in the NBA draft." In that case its everyone, if the playoffs get cancelled.

    And I agree, if anyone was worth shooting the breeze at work with, I'd do that but since there's not, my PSD pals it is.

  15. #165
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,647
    And odds are only set for the 14 worst records. Problem solved!

    Unless you are going to suggest opening up the rules for one year to redo all the odds to include 30 teams, which screws over the two teams mathematically eliminated from playoffs had they happened anyways. Which would also mean getting most teams to agree to those revised odds. And also agreeing to reset them after the lottery/draft. Oh and having a representative from Goldman Sach's, the NBA, and all 30 NBA teams (which would violate many gathering regulations right now). Not that the 14 is much better, but they can have a few teams in there.

    Much easier to just agree to move some dates around and keep the rest operating as close to normal no?

Page 11 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •