Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    So if there's no season then I guess that means....

DEFENDING CHAMPS BAYBAYYYYYYY!!!!

Canada man. I blame y’all for this [emoji6]

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I was thinking it would be a good compromise to take the top 4 in both conferences:
    1v4, 2v3, best of 3
    Winner v winner, best of 5
    Finals, best of 5

About 3 weeks to get it done. I think about 8 teams is the furthest you can stretch this and be “safe” with it.
    They could do all the teams. Everybody coming in has to be tested before they get together, chartered planes, keep teams apart, testing every few days, etc.

The only real issue is the PR. It's probably not worth it, and the spin needed to have a bunch of millionaires flying around to play a game while people are stuck in their houses ... not sure how you do that.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    They could do all the teams. Everybody coming in has to be tested before they get together, chartered planes, keep teams apart, testing every few days, etc.

The only real issue is the PR. It's probably not worth it, and the spin needed to have a bunch of millionaires flying around to play a game while people are stuck in their houses ... not sure how you do that.
    I'm thinking of the players most likely not wanting to do a 1 game and out situation. If you are going to have them all there you got to have some type of series. Also limiting the number of teams there limits the number of people, limits the amount of hotel space needed, limits the chances of interaction with someone that has the virus.

Unless you wanted to take all 16 teams and go round robin with 4 pods of 4. Go Champions League some and do total points scored over 4 games.

So Pod 1: Mil (1), Orl (16), Mia (8), OKC (9)
    Pod 2: LAL(2), BKN (15), Uta (7), Hou (10)
    Pod 3: Tor (3), Mem (14), Den (6), Ind (11)
    Pod 4: LAC (4), Dal (13), Bos (5), Phi (12)

Gives you 4 teams left to do 2 best of 5 series for a champion. From what I gather, that's kinda what the mid-season tournament would look like anyways, so it would be a great way to showcase to players, fans, media, ownership, GM's what a mid-season tournament would feel like and what the flow is. And how cool would it be to have it happening in 2 different cities, and historical arenas (since size wouldn't matter). Like imagine 2 of those pods being played at Payne Whitney Gym at Yale and 2 of the pods being at The Forum in LA. The semi's and the finals can be played at The Citadel's arena. 3 awesome historic arenas. Can do a 1 pm east game, 4 on west coast (noon local), 6 east coast, 9 west coast. Can have 2 games from each pod a day. 6 days to finish pod play. Use trailers to create a temporary locker room for each team with each having their own unique way into the arena to minimize possible cross contamination. 5 hours between each start time allows time to clean and reset for each team. Work with local high schools to get each team it's own practice gym.

Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    So if there's no season then I guess that means....

DEFENDING CHAMPS BAYBAYYYYYYY!!!!

Aye

I'm thinking of the players most likely not wanting to do a 1 game and out situation. If you are going to have them all there you got to have some type of series. Also limiting the number of teams there limits the number of people, limits the amount of hotel space needed, limits the chances of interaction with someone that has the virus.

Unless you wanted to take all 16 teams and go round robin with 4 pods of 4. Go Champions League some and do total points scored over 4 games.

So Pod 1: Mil (1), Orl (16), Mia (8), OKC (9)
    Pod 2: LAL(2), BKN (15), Uta (7), Hou (10)
    Pod 3: Tor (3), Mem (14), Den (6), Ind (11)
    Pod 4: LAC (4), Dal (13), Bos (5), Phi (12)

Gives you 4 teams left to do 2 best of 5 series for a champion. From what I gather, that's kinda what the mid-season tournament would look like anyways, so it would be a great way to showcase to players, fans, media, ownership, GM's what a mid-season tournament would feel like and what the flow is. And how cool would it be to have it happening in 2 different cities, and historical arenas (since size wouldn't matter). Like imagine 2 of those pods being played at Payne Whitney Gym at Yale and 2 of the pods being at The Forum in LA. The semi's and the finals can be played at The Citadel's arena. 3 awesome historic arenas. Can do a 1 pm east game, 4 on west coast (noon local), 6 east coast, 9 west coast. Can have 2 games from each pod a day. 6 days to finish pod play. Use trailers to create a temporary locker room for each team with each having their own unique way into the arena to minimize possible cross contamination. 5 hours between each start time allows time to clean and reset for each team. Work with local high schools to get each team it's own practice gym.
    Really, any compress fanless system will work to get a result, the issue is the PR side more than anything else, and I've got to believe there is a clock with a hard out date, so the issue is when the PR problem gets solved what will there be time remaining for? Will there be enough time to get a reasonable version of a playoffs, if not, then they are left with the only option ... season over.

Really, any compress fanless system will work to get a result, the issue is the PR side more than anything else, and I've got to believe there is a clock with a hard out date, so the issue is when the PR problem gets solved what will there be time remaining for? Will there be enough time to get a reasonable version of a playoffs, if not, then they are left with the only option ... season over.
    I agree. I heard the rumored "hard out" date is June 1st.

If they can be in the gyms by then, they can then train until ~June 20th, get to the cities and do all the prep and quarantine til July 4th-ish, play though early August. Hopefully by then things have hit the point that they can hold the combine/workouts through August, start FA late August, draft Early Sept, TC mid-Oct, next season starts early November.

The thing that keeps coming up on NBA Radio is that if they finish this season, they want to do it without impacting the 2020-21 season at all. They rather just abort the remainder of this season and start anew for next year, than have 2 straight shortened seasons. Some callers did put forth some unique ideas if they did that like starting out the ranking where it left off, doing a 2 year combined record into the playoffs, start next season with a massive tournament to crown a 2020 champion. I think the simple most elegant one was cancel the rest of the season, let the offseason proceed as it normally would but a month early. Hold training camps a month early. And in that month between TC and start to the 2020-21 NBA season, 1-2 seeds in the east and west hold a 4 team 2020 championship, and meanwhile the remaining 26 teams play an exhibition tournament with a charity component or as a travelling exhibition to cities that don't have NBA teams (like Washington vs Charlotte at Virginia Beach, Atlanta vs New Orleans in Mobile, Orlando vs Miami in Jacksonville).

I agree. I heard the rumored "hard out" date is June 1st.

If they can be in the gyms by then, they can then train until ~June 20th, get to the cities and do all the prep and quarantine til July 4th-ish, play though early August. Hopefully by then things have hit the point that they can hold the combine/workouts through August, start FA late August, draft Early Sept, TC mid-Oct, next season starts early November.

The thing that keeps coming up on NBA Radio is that if they finish this season, they want to do it without impacting the 2020-21 season at all. They rather just abort the remainder of this season and start anew for next year, than have 2 straight shortened seasons. Some callers did put forth some unique ideas if they did that like starting out the ranking where it left off, doing a 2 year combined record into the playoffs, start next season with a massive tournament to crown a 2020 champion. I think the simple most elegant one was cancel the rest of the season, let the offseason proceed as it normally would but a month early. Hold training camps a month early. And in that month between TC and start to the 2020-21 NBA season, 1-2 seeds in the east and west hold a 4 team 2020 championship, and meanwhile the remaining 26 teams play an exhibition tournament with a charity component or as a travelling exhibition to cities that don't have NBA teams (like Washington vs Charlotte at Virginia Beach, Atlanta vs New Orleans in Mobile, Orlando vs Miami in Jacksonville).
    They want to have NO impact on next season which presumably includes summer league (which start the first week of July), and they want an off-season that June 1 date makes sense. So, lottery, playoffs, combine, tryouts, and draft have to happen in May to have a month off before the next season officially starts. That's going to be tough and the combine and tryouts are probably the first to lose followed by the playoffs. They'll get shorter then get cancelled entirely. That clock is speeding up.

They want to have NO impact on next season which presumably includes summer league (which start the first week of July), and they want an off-season that June 1 date makes sense. So, lottery, playoffs, combine, tryouts, and draft have to happen in May to have a month off before the next season officially starts. That's going to be tough and the combine and tryouts are probably the first to lose followed by the playoffs. They'll get shorter then get cancelled entirely. That clock is speeding up.
    Yea, there were a couple more things thrown in there like a 1 time NBA/GLeague roster expansion by 3 slots to account for loss of summer league, allowing a longer "pre-season" in the GLeague by a month to replace summer league (lets face it, top picks don't play alot, neither do good 2nd year players), a very back loaded 2020-21 schedule so teams had more practices early in the seasons.

I've heard the extreme like a 1 year roster freeze, so no FA, only add through draft or trade. Of course this hurts players on last year or about to retire guys. Or just repick up the season and have a huge 130 game season for 2019-2021.

Personally I think just ending this season, putting a "let's try something for a champion" out there, but letting the offseason move on it's usual dates is what they should do.

Idk where you all are getting your information but they have until May 11th to cancel the season, straight from the CBA.

"Upon the occurrence of a Force Majeure Event satisfying the
    terms of Section 5(a) above, the NBA shall have the right to terminate this
    Agreement as of the sixtieth (60th) day following delivery to the Players
    Association of a written notice of termination, which must be delivered to
    the Players Association within sixty (60) days of the Force Majeure Event.
    During the sixty-day period following delivery of such written notice of
    termination, the NBA and the Players Association shall engage in good
    faith negotiations for the purpose of entering into a successor agreement,
    and during such period the provisions of Article XXX shall remain in full force and effect."

Furthermore, Woj just said yesterday they're willing to go as far out as Labor day to crown a champ, which is September 7th.

Yea, there were a couple more things thrown in there like a 1 time NBA/GLeague roster expansion by 3 slots to account for loss of summer league, allowing a longer "pre-season" in the GLeague by a month to replace summer league (lets face it, top picks don't play alot, neither do good 2nd year players), a very back loaded 2020-21 schedule so teams had more practices early in the seasons.

I've heard the extreme like a 1 year roster freeze, so no FA, only add through draft or trade. Of course this hurts players on last year or about to retire guys. Or just repick up the season and have a huge 130 game season for 2019-2021.

Personally I think just ending this season, putting a "let's try something for a champion" out there, but letting the offseason move on it's usual dates is what they should do.
    Yeah they need to leave next season alone.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Furthermore, Woj just said yesterday they're willing to go as far out as Labor day to crown a champ, which is September 7th.

Backwards track doing just playoffs from September 7th with a full playoffs and time to get prepared and what do you get? June 1.

And according to you now....this is something so unprecedented they can change the draft, but they can't extend the date to make a choice as to getting this season done. Interesting. (BTW the NBA Board of Governors would have to agree to making any changes to the draft, so good luck convincing a majority of NBA owners on that)

Backwards track doing just playoffs from September 7th with a full playoffs and time to get prepared and what do you get? June 1.

And according to you now....this is something so unprecedented they can change the draft, but they can't extend the date to make a choice as to getting this season done. Interesting. (BTW the NBA Board of Governors would have to agree to making any changes to the draft, so good luck convincing a majority of NBA owners on that)
    Lol nah bro June 1st is your imaginary lil date.

It literally says it right in the CBA...
    "An NBA Draft will be held prior to the commencement of each NBA
    Season covered by the term of this Agreement and, despite the expiration
    of the other terms of this Agreement pursuant to Article XXXIX, prior to
    the commencement of the 2024-25 NBA Season (or, if either party
    exercises its option to terminate the Agreement pursuant to Article
    XXXIX, prior to the commencement of the 2023-24 NBA Season). Each
    such Draft will be held prior to the July 10 preceding the commencement
    of the NBA Season on a date to be designated by the Commissioner."

You're the one who wanted to start referencing the CBA

You do realize that this scenario is something that we can't really use the CBA as a guideline right? Literally every sport is in unprecedented territory. And you ask anyone that and they'll say it. Yes the ongoing talks between players and the NBA offices right now is how to we settle shutting it down and not when do we get back up, but that doesn't mean that they will be able to follow the CBA.

What happens if teams can't get players in to check medicals? Can't have the combine? Teams can't congregate in offices for the draft? Teams can't meet with players for FA? Is your answer "too bad that's the CBA"? Or is it "hey we're in unprecedented times, we got to make alterations here."

Things aren't going to go absolutely the way the CBA says they should. Just can't and likely won't. They're going to have to change things. So quoting the CBA in right now's situation isn't the final word.

You do realize that this scenario is something that we can't really use the CBA as a guideline right? Literally every sport is in unprecedented territory. And you ask anyone that and they'll say it. Yes the ongoing talks between players and the NBA offices right now is how to we settle shutting it down and not when do we get back up, but that doesn't mean that they will be able to follow the CBA.

What happens if teams can't get players in to check medicals? Can't have the combine? Teams can't congregate in offices for the draft? Teams can't meet with players for FA? Is your answer "too bad that's the CBA"? Or is it "hey we're in unprecedented times, we got to make alterations here."

Things aren't going to go absolutely the way the CBA says they should. Just can't and likely won't. They're going to have to change things. So quoting the CBA in right now's situation isn't the final word.
    The CBA is a contract, and considering the owners generally don't want to mess with that contract I think they want to minimize the ongoing impact of the crisis. If that is true then the draft must be completed by July 10 which means, reasonably, that the playoffs, lottery, and whatever is possible as far as a combine/tryouts/interviews have to be done before July 10. That's still a tough target, and if the shelter in place is extended past mid-may they will have to make tough decisions and cancelling the rest of this year is going to get easier and easier as each day goes by.

I think there is zero chance playoffs happen DURING the shelter in place.

We won't likely know anything until the end of April, but there will be a ton of speculation by people using "sources" and they will be speaking with certainty of what they "know". The reality is the NBA and the NBPA have no idea what's going to happen yet.

The CBA is a contract, and considering the owners generally don't want to mess with that contract I think they want to minimize the ongoing impact of the crisis. If that is true then the draft must be completed by July 10 which means, reasonably, that the playoffs, lottery, and whatever is possible as far as a combine/tryouts/interviews have to be done before July 10. That's still a tough target, and if the shelter in place is extended past mid-may they will have to make tough decisions and cancelling the rest of this year is going to get easier and easier as each day goes by.

I think there is zero chance playoffs happen DURING the shelter in place.

We won't likely know anything until the end of April, but there will be a ton of speculation by people using "sources" and they will be speaking with certainty of what they "know". The reality is the NBA and the NBPA have no idea what's going to happen yet.
    Here's the thing though.....owners and players generally don't want to mess with that contract, and I agree. However this is all uncharted territory. If the players union and ownership came together, agreed that "hey we're not opening cans of worms, but we need some one time exemptions" I truly believe they can get it done. It's going to need to be something to be explored.

I feel as though if ownership/Adam Silver were to lay out what the 'revised' offseason, take it to NBPA as a finalized 'this is all that will be changed', it could get done.

I think from an ownership perspective, they are interested in seeing how the NFL draft goes. If it's a disaster, they're going to want to move things around.

Think of it this way:
    There's injured players bound to be FA's that haven't played since February, NCAA players that haven't played since then. There's going to be medical checks on them. There are injured players that could be traded that teams are going to want to do physicals on. If players can go to teams, teams can't come to players, and they have to lean on independent doctors to check on it, which in many places if these aren't ICU/ER doctors, they might be in short supply. Add on the challenges of meeting with players, getting them to work out, seeing them in group scrimmages. I know top players don't go through things like that, but that's how you find the Jordan Bells, Manu Ginobli's, Tony Parker's of the NBA. At least for the NFL they got the combine in before the pandemic really hit, so teams have gotten at least 1 chance to meet with players.

If they continue with the offseason with dates as set forth, we will learn what scouts/front offices are good vs ones that should be fired.

Beyond the players, this messes with FO hiring and firing, coach hiring and firing, and other organization decisions. Teams might stick with a HC just because they can't really go through the interview process the way they want to. Front offices will stay intact for another year because you won't want a new GM/President coming in and shifting focus without being able to actually sit with every player and staff member.

My prediction is if they stick with the offseason as laid out (and honestly is sounds like it won't from listening to NBA Radio) we're going to see the least amount of turnover of players and staff in a long time IMO. Players will take one year deals with a familiar spot, few long term deals out of not wanting to be locked in cheaper than they could be, things like that.

Page 9 of 26 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast