Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 91 to 105 of 391
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,642
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    How long has this epidemic of players demanding trades and getting exactly what they want been happening?

    You don't think what we are going through now is even more of a reason for young kids to be in the mindset of getting whats guaranteed today since who knows whats going to happen tomorrow? Even with that, Im not buying it, theres too many variables for maintaining a #1 selection for 2 years in a row. Injuries, You can sit out and not risk injury but another freshman could come in and be better than you(or almost as good, but being more seen recent would play a factor), a team could trade that #1 and you not ending up where you thought you would. It would probably happen once every so often, but it would be so rarely it would be a huuuuuuuge massive deal when it does. I guess there could be instances where a team could somehow get word to a player saying we guarantee we will take you if you wait a year, but I would assume there would be some type of rule against that with severe consequences if violated.
    Ah defeating to other topics. Great counter.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,642
    In fact if the NBA wants to reward teams that would have made the playoffs if they cancel them, give every player the full playoff bonus. Give each of those ownership groups a bonus as well.

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,446
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Ah defeating to other topics. Great counter.
    Other topics? I literally gave exact reasons why I don't think guys would sit out and wait to go pro.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,642
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    Other topics? I literally gave exact reasons why I don't think guys would sit out and wait to go pro.
    I asked how many guys off rookie seasons or second years get trade requests done and you asked when it started. What does that have to do with what I asked?

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Central VA
    Posts
    12,446
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I asked how many guys off rookie seasons or second years get trade requests done and you asked when it started. What does that have to do with what I asked?
    well the answer is 0 that I can think of off the top of my head (theres probably a couple), but in my original statement I was referring to this new epidemic that I feel like started about 3 years ago where a player can demand a trade then poof it happens, with the player getting traded exactly where he wants to go in some cases which is why I countered your question with that question. Now of course players didnt just start demanding trades 3 years ago, but I believe now its happening way more than I can ever remember it happening.... could 1st and second year players start demanding trades and getting traded? Its certainly possible.
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 04-07-2020 at 02:30 PM.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

    HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

    2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I donít want a good team to be getting a better pick than they should have. So say itís done this year that way. 2020/21 season happens with a shortened regular season but we have playoffs and the Lakers win, and had the best regular season record. They have a legitimate complaint to being stuck with the 30th pick. Like I said, 15-30 is done based on regular season record. Not having playoffs has no bearing on their draft position.
    They don't get a shot at a top pick bc they're getting a shot at a championship, its not that hard of a concept to grasp. If they don't get a shot at a championship then there has to be some shot to move up in the draft.

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,642
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    They don't get a shot at a top pick bc they're getting a shot at a championship, its not that hard of a concept to grasp. If they don't get a shot at a championship then there has to be some shot to move up in the draft.
    There doesnít have to be. Again. NBAs draft position is based on regular season finishing position. So if they have or donít have playoffs but stop the regular season right now there would be no change in draft order.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    There doesnít have to be. Again. NBAs draft position is based on regular season finishing position. So if they have or donít have playoffs but stop the regular season right now there would be no change in draft order.
    The regular season didn't finish though, so it pokes holes all in your argument.

    If the NBA doesn't play another game this season, the 16 teams not in the lottery, or the teams who own those picks will have something to say about it.

    You can't tell me an adequate comparison for this season when I asked because the NBA has crowned a champion for the past like 70 years or so.

    Here answer me this quick question, why did the Celtics and Pacers only play 81 games in the 2012-13 season when the other 28 teams played 82? 🤔

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,642
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    The regular season didn't finish though, so it pokes holes all in your argument.

    If the NBA doesn't play another game this season, the 16 teams not in the lottery, or the teams who own those picks will have something to say about it.

    You can't tell me an adequate comparison for this season when I asked because the NBA has crowned a champion for the past like 70 years or so.

    Here answer me this quick question, why did the Celtics and Pacers only play 81 games in the 2012-13 season when the other 28 teams played 82? 🤔
    I doubt any of that though. Again you are missing what I'm saying. If the NBA declares regular season over, then it's over. It's finished. Positioning locked in.

    Bringing up the "well they didn't play a postseason" doesn't change my opinion because it has no bearing on the draft at all. None. Zip. You haven't proven that wrong.

    So outside the lottery, the NBA draft would be set as is today if they decided to skip right to the playoffs. Do you have a problem with that? Because if you do, when we should have a problem every other year.

    I look at it this way. Wanting to do something with picks 15-30 to 'compensate' for not having a playoffs is doing something for the sake of doing it. I rather the draft order to be the draft order as the CBA and league rules state it to be, and just give all the players an even cut of what playoff bonuses would have been.

    In 2012 the Celtics had a home game cancelled because of the Boston Marathon bombing. The reason they never made up the game is because (1) it was late in the season, and (2) the W/L would have had no bearing on the finishing position of the 2nd seed Pacers and the 7th seed Celtics. But then again, this has nothing to do with this situation.

    I can actually give you an example of a time where something like this happened:
    1994 MLB strike started in August of 1994, where the playoffs never happened and the regular season technically was never finished. No World Series Champion. Yet the 1995 draft was still held by using the 1994 standings at the time that the season was cancelled. If any teams played more games, they retroactively took away the 'extra' played games to have everyone at the same number of games played, leveling off at the team that played the least number of games.

    So was the MLB fair or unfair to teams by not doing anything for them?

    And look I should be someone arguing for something that could potentially have my team pick higher. The Sixers need it. but I'm sorry it's stupid to reward a team for something they may or may not have done in the final few games of the season.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,206
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    In 2012-13 season the Celtics had a home game cancelled because of the Boston Marathon bombing.
    So you mean to tell me, you can deviate from the norm when there are extenuating circumstances to make concessions to teams impacted by said event?

    I rest my case, no further questions your honor.

  11. #101
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Richmond, VA
    Posts
    58,642
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    So you mean to tell me, you can deviate from the norm when there are extenuating circumstances to make concessions to teams impacted by said event?

    I rest my case, no further questions your honor.
    They didnít change anything with their draft order. So if at all it strengthens my stance of no need to do anything.

  12. #102
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    32,812
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkieMark48 View Post
    well the answer is 0 that I can think of off the top of my head (theres probably a couple), but in my original statement I was referring to this new epidemic that I feel like started about 3 years ago where a player can demand a trade then poof it happens, with the player getting traded exactly where he wants to go in some cases which is why I countered your question with that question. Now of course players didnt just start demanding trades 3 years ago, but I believe now its happening way more than I can ever remember it happening.... could 1st and second year players start demanding trades and getting traded? Its certainly possible.
    See Bryant, Kobe ... he demanded a trade to the Lakers before he was drafted and got it. Nothing new under the sun.

  13. #103
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,303
    I never thought it would be realistic to resume this season. It's going to take some time to flatten the curve.

  14. #104
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,303
    The Toronto raptors, your 2018-19 & 20 Champs 😜

  15. #105
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    The 6
    Posts
    25,303
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    They didnít change anything with their draft order. So if at all it strengthens my stance of no need to do anything.
    I agree it makes the most sense to do nothing. Keep it as is, based on the records that are in place.

Page 7 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •