Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season

The NBA is "angling" to cancel the 2019-20 season after China's CBA shutdown, per @WindhorstESPN "There is a significant amount of pessimism right now."

figured this deserved its own thread and i am now 100 percent sure its gonna happen with the new estimates of lock down being 5 months.

this is pretty ****ed for the lakers tbh.... lebron will only get older and AD could walk and it looked like a trip to the finals was in the bag.

bron also has the excuse of a cancellation. feel more pity for the clips. we gave up our future for 2 years. now 1 is gone and we've been more dominant when fully healthy imo.

also, bucks. they prolly win the east and have HCA throughout.

Seems premature. I get talking about it, but even if they can start up and do the playoffs July/Aug that should work.

Hopefully these talks are just as an "oh, ****" worst case scenario thing.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Seems premature. I get talking about it, but even if they can start up and do the playoffs July/Aug that should work.

Hopefully these talks are just as an "oh, ****" worst case scenario thing.
    doubtful... we arent even at the peak and have seen what it can do to other places and we still dont stay home and still have states that havent put stay at home orders out... stanford just released a thing where they expect this to last for an additional 5 plus months with us being stuck at home.... meaning we probably wont even get basketball in october.

It was to be expected. The initial 2 week layoff was never going to be enough. I hope it can return but at this point no one knows where this COVID-19 stuff is even going to end up.

THereís already talk of cancelling NCAAF and NFL games so I donít know how the NBA can come back.

Side note:
    I think the cancelation of upcoming events is getting out of hand.

Several players have said they won't play without fans there, so it's going to last beyond the end of the shelter because it's going to take some time for it to ramp up with people getting used to being around people again.

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Several players have said they won't play without fans there, so it's going to last beyond the end of the shelter because it's going to take some time for it to ramp up with people getting used to being around people again.
    If it came down to play with no fans and get paid or not pay and not get paid, they'll play.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    If it came down to play with no fans and get paid or not pay and not get paid, they'll play.
    The problem is the players with the most endorsement money are the ones in charge of the union. They don't really represent the demographic well. It's easy for Lebron to miss game checks, he can afford to say "I won't play games without fans." It's the Edmond Sumners and Terence Davis' of the league that are going to suffer.

Just quarantine all the players, coaches, FO staff and refs.
    Test them all and once they're all covid free send them to empty arenas to play.
    If you want to be extra safe, have the 2 announcers sit up in a press area like NFL and MLB does. They don't need to sit courtside.
    Then players get paid and we get sports.

This whole being stuck at home would be so much less annoying if there were sports on throughout the day.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    The problem is the players with the most endorsement money are the ones in charge of the union. They don't really represent the demographic well. It's easy for Lebron to miss game checks, he can afford to say "I won't play games without fans." It's the Edmond Sumners and Terence Davis' of the league that are going to suffer.
    And if enough of them push to play it's going to happen. Just like the NFLPA signing the latest CBA. Enough guys afraid of not getting paid.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Just quarantine all the players, coaches, FO staff and refs.
    Test them all and once they're all covid free send them to empty arenas to play.
    If you want to be extra safe, have the 2 announcers sit up in a press area like NFL and MLB does. They don't need to sit courtside.
    Then players get paid and we get sports.

This whole being stuck at home would be so much less annoying if there were sports on throughout the day.
    I believe that's the plan with the 1-city return plan. Take a hotel and a few arenas. Extreme clean them. Get the players, coaches, training staffs, and small support group there. Quarantine them for 2 weeks, let them practice for 2 weeks, then start playing games. Basically it's either play, practice, eat or to the room.

Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    And if enough of them push to play it's going to happen. Just like the NFLPA signing the latest CBA. Enough guys afraid of not getting paid.
    A plan to play may never make it to a general vote if Lebron and CP3 are doing the negotiating.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    A plan to play may never make it to a general vote if Lebron and CP3 are doing the negotiating.
    I doubt LeBron would throw away one of his final good years. He's old. He's going to decline sooner than later.

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast