Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

The reason Patrick Ewing didn't win a ring...not what you might think

common reason people cite are:
    1. born in the wrong time with Jordan/Hakeem
    2. Knicks could't build a strong enough team around him
    3. couldn't stay healthy for 99

Valid points but I think the real reason he didn't win was because his true greatness was robbed from us the moment he began his pro career. Some of you are aware that Pat was a tremendous athlete in his youth. When he was healthy at GT, he could get his face up to around the rim and with his wingspan and could easily clear the top of the box of the backboard. Things changed when he first encountered the injury bug his rookie year. He felt knee pain throughout the middle of the season and had knee debridement performed by Dr Scott to end his rookie year. This procedure which is used to remove loose material around/behind the knee is touted as very commonly performed and usually without any long term ill effects. But a ominous sign from this procedure, Pat started icing his knees going forward. Carmelo Anthony had a similar procedure in 2015 and lost his famous 2nd jump the following seasons afterwards. Pat would have knee surgery again his 2nd season and while he had a couple great athletic years where he'd play 82 games (years 3-5 with coach Pitino and Stu Jackson), by the time Riley arrived in 91 he already begun losing his elevation and it was most noticeable by the '94 finals vs Hakeem. Olajuwon did not endure these type of injuries and thus aged much better than him - completely shutting him down offensively. Ewing had his shots repeatedly blocked or altered severely and resorted to more 17 ft jump shots and hook shots when he realized that couldn't shoot his go-to patented turnaround baseline jumper over Hakeem reliably in that series. In an alternative universe where he does not get hurt early on and manages to keep his athleticism in that series, its hard to imagine him shooting any worse than his 38% fgs in that finals - if he shot just marginally better over ~44% from the field the Knicks likely would've have won because the Knicks backcourt was eating up Houston's. But as usual, with injuries its easy to chalk it up to bad luck and what-ifs.

In the case with Ewing, I think the key had to be preventing those early knee injuries and you'd have to dive into his 1st and 2nd years to figure out where it went wrong. Minus the numerous games he had to leave due to injury - he averaged about 37-38 mpg. You could say oh well he's young, he can handle it right? Welp that might be true with some players but in college he averaged 30mpg with a far lighter schedule and weaker competition. From the time he stepped on the garden floor it was 40 plus minutes each night and I have to think that lead to his knees breaking down. It might be presumptuous to say but I have to blame Hubie Brown for this happening. He ran him into the ground and played him out of position - all for 20 wins in each of 2 years. He repeatedly emphasized that it was imperative that Ewing play all 82 games. Would it be farfetched if Ewing felt pressured to play when he maybe could've benefited from sitting out a night or two? Maybe not. 7 fters arent aren't built like 6'6" GOAT shooting guards. Builds similar to Ralph Sampson and Sam Bowie also dealt with bad leg injuries. Not a physician but its clear that even by just looking at Ewing's build, you could tell that knee injuries were a concern. Ewing has considerably long limbs. His wingspan was about 8 ft and he had very LONG legs. It's not crazy to think the longer limbs could increase his injury risk - particularly if you had the ability to jump out of the gym like he did. Hubie didn't manage him well at all until Pitino took over his 3rd year when wing averaged 30mpg and played all 82 games - a tremendous achievement up until that point in his career. This started a series of seasons where he'd play 80 games. I honestly think if Ewing was brought along similarly to how they're bringing up Mitch, things would've turned out much differently. Ewing could've been All NBA 1st team for multiple years, maybe a couple shot blocking crowns and certainly a title or two.

Can we learn anything from this? Ewing's case is unfortunately one of a handful of Knick superstars to suffer health woes which would change their play style for the worse: Bernard King, Carmelo, Amare, and most recently Porzingis. Were they overplayed? Are the Knick trainers/doctors to blame for this trend? Maybe there's something in the NY water? When Phil Jackson took over, he made a comment about wanting to have one the best medical teams in the league - and that really caught my attention. Can the Knicks keep their players healthy? Where would you rank a healthy Patrick Ewing among the 4 premier centers in the 90's?

Reason #1 -- Jordan/Hakeem.

I think there are two ways to look at it. Either Ewing wasnít good enough as a 1a option on offense or the team didnít get him a real side kick on that side of the ball. He is probably most underrated defender in the history of the game and easily the greatest Knick Iíve ever seen so praise Patrick

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

Unfortunately I wasnít born until a few months after the 1994 finals so I was only able to see Ewing play as his career was winding down. I wish I got to see Ewing play in his prime. The first season I remember watching the Knicks was 1997-98. Houston and Sprewell were my favorite Knicks. My older brother got me into basketball and the Knicks right away and was my first love of all the major sports.

I think this is the biggest reason why FAs donít want to come here. Since 2001-02, the Knicks have 16 losing seasons out of 19 and their overall record in their winning seasons from 2010-11 to 2012-13 was 132-98 (.574). A lot of the stars who are set to be free agents in the league right now are around my age.

If you listen to most of the Bulls players from that era they all say the same thing about the Knicks. We were very easy to defend. They knew that which ever Knick got the ball after coming over half court was going to take a shot. Oakley was the one exception, while Ewing and Starks were the biggest culprits. Sadly we are still like that now.

he may not have a ring, but that one year in Houston, it was all about 20+ misses by Starks and Riley being upfront that he didn't use one of the best pure shooting guards to play this game leaving him on the bench to only comment I thought eventually it had to drop?

that was easily a ring for Ewing that a coach and one player chucking away cost him......I still remember screaming at the tv at Riley to put in Rolando

But of course the main reason was this guy named MJ.......

How many players in the future will say Lebron?

MJ. Starkís awful game 6. Shame we should have had 1. I donít even think a healthy Ewing helps that much vs the spurs. We probably win another game but man that spurs team was insane.
    Spurs Sim league
    2 time Champion 653-331

MJ and Starks are the reasons he didnít get one.

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    he may not have a ring, but that one year in Houston, it was all about 20+ misses by Starks and Riley being upfront that he didn't use one of the best pure shooting guards to play this game leaving him on the bench to only comment I thought eventually it had to drop?

that was easily a ring for Ewing that a coach and one player chucking away cost him......I still remember screaming at the tv at Riley to put in Rolando
    I was super stoked when we got Rolando and really thought he was a fit- a pure shooter that was great moving off the ball. That said he just didnít seem to work here. I agree that Pat should have put him in but I also see why he wouldnít given what John and meant to the team and how Ro had fit all year

Last edited by ewing; 04-05-2020 at 01:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by xxplayerxx23 View Post
    MJ. Starkís awful game 6. Shame we should have had 1. I donít even think a healthy Ewing helps that much vs the spurs. We probably win another game but man that spurs team was insane.
    Pat was old at that point. We were lucky to get there in 99.

Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    I was super stoked when we got Rolando and really thought he was a fit- a pure shooter that was great moving off the ball. That said he just didnít seem to work here. I agree that Pat should have put him in but I also see why he wouldnít given what John and meant to the team and how Ro had fit all year

It was a lot more than that, Pat actually started Hubert Davis, and Rolando was an after thought, yet the previously he shot 2 for 4 from three, he should have been put in even for 2-3 min to just give Starks a rest and get his act together, he was thinking way too much.

FYI Davis shot 28% in the playoffs from three.

I loved having Rolando and Harper what nice pick ups, and yes Rolando was on his decline but still had a good stroke.

And for a coach to leave a guy in for 42+min shooting 2-18 and 0-11 yea I was screaming lol

And because of that game fans also forget Starks shot 3-18 and 2-8 and yes Knicks lost that game as well.

This from a player who averaged a total of 11 shots per game in all 25 games and also played 46 min the game before. I think Riley has a bit to do with no ring for sure.

Even though he didn't win one his teams were still highly competitive wish we could say that about Melo era the Knocks have been such a disaster since losing to spurs in finals and since 2012 they can't even win 20 games ****ing pathetic organization.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by still a fan View Post
    It was a lot more than that, Pat actually started Hubert Davis, and Rolando was an after thought, yet the previously he shot 2 for 4 from three, he should have been put in even for 2-3 min to just give Starks a rest and get his act together, he was thinking way too much.

FYI Davis shot 28% in the playoffs from three.

I loved having Rolando and Harper what nice pick ups, and yes Rolando was on his decline but still had a good stroke.

And for a coach to leave a guy in for 42+min shooting 2-18 and 0-11 yea I was screaming lol

And because of that game fans also forget Starks shot 3-18 and 2-8 and yes Knicks lost that game as well.

This from a player who averaged a total of 11 shots per game in all 25 games and also played 46 min the game before. I think Riley has a bit to do with no ring for sure.
    Hubert was in front of Ro bc Ro didnít preform all year. I liked the guy and while on the downside Iím pretty sure he averaged around 20 right before coming here. He just didnít fit

Who the hell is going to win a Chip with a bunch of G League level teammates? The only 2 other NBA players were Oakley and Starks.

Ewing didn't get real NBA level help until the LJ, Sprewell, H2O seasons and by then his knees were shot.

Edit: No disrespect to old man Derek Harper the utmost professional and NBA journeyman.
    Last edited by SK6; 04-05-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast