Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: who should we draft?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Young

    3 42.86%
  • Simmons

    4 57.14%
  • Other

    0 0%
  • Still trade out of the 3 spot

    0 0%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 36
  1. #16
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    78,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    Or they could just bench Harris because he has no business being on the field.
    I wouldn't disagree there. He was really raw coming out of college so expecting him to start right away seems silly, but they traded Diggs so they start Harris. Benching him now would be admitting they ****ed up the Diggs trade and as we've seen ego means a lot to these guys.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    I imagine if the Lions did draft him, Simmons would ideally fit the role of Wilson last year. The hang defender or the guy who lines up everywhere. With the Lions trading for Harmon though I think that role goes to Tracy Walker. Huron as free safety, Walker everywhere, and Will Harris the strong safety. Lions would have to use Simmons closer to the LOS at LB. Seems like a waste of his skillset.
    My thoughts exactly

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    258
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    Or they could just bench Harris because he has no business being on the field.
    This is 100% accurate. But he would not only be taking snaps away from Harris at Strong Safety. He would also be taking away snaps from Justin Coleman as the slot CB. He would be taking snaps away from Jamie Collins in the WLB spot. Just give me the stud DE and call it real. Unless we are banking on DE Epenesa in the 2nd?

  4. #19
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Modesto, CA
    Posts
    258
    I donít understand why Simmons is being talked about above DE Young and CB Okudah? Is Simmons a freak stud athlete....YES! But we have 2 major holes on this defense and they are Edge and CB. These three 3 studs are all at the very top of the draft class, but you guys want to take the one that is not a need? I understand best player available, but these guys are 1a, 1b, 1c overall.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by davids209 View Post
    This is 100% accurate. But he would not only be taking snaps away from Harris at Strong Safety. He would also be taking away snaps from Justin Coleman as the slot CB. He would be taking snaps away from Jamie Collins in the WLB spot. Just give me the stud DE and call it real. Unless we are banking on DE Epenesa in the 2nd?
    I'm all for anything that takes snaps away from Harris. Simmons is not going to play slot CB in the NFL and maybe he'd take snaps away from Collins IF Patricia is planning on playing Collins at WILL. I think avoiding acquiring better players because you don't want inferior players to lose snaps is how you get to 3-12-1.

    Quote Originally Posted by davids209 View Post
    I donít understand why Simmons is being talked about above DE Young and CB Okudah? Is Simmons a freak stud athlete....YES! But we have 2 major holes on this defense and they are Edge and CB. These three 3 studs are all at the very top of the draft class, but you guys want to take the one that is not a need? I understand best player available, but these guys are 1a, 1b, 1c overall.
    I think Okudah is overrated, his deep ball drill at the combine was nowhere near elite and should be cause for concern for anyone considering drafting him. I like Simmons because you can't draft a guy like him every year, players like him just don't come around on a regular basis. Chase Young is talented but there have been in the past and will be in the future players real close to him.

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,911
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    I'm all for anything that takes snaps away from Harris. Simmons is not going to play slot CB in the NFL and maybe he'd take snaps away from Collins IF Patricia is planning on playing Collins at WILL. I think avoiding acquiring better players because you don't want inferior players to lose snaps is how you get to 3-12-1.



    I think Okudah is overrated, his deep ball drill at the combine was nowhere near elite and should be cause for concern for anyone considering drafting him. I like Simmons because you can't draft a guy like him every year, players like him just don't come around on a regular basis. Chase Young is talented but there have been in the past and will be in the future players real close to him.
    This right here.



    2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

    Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,335
    Yea I understand CB is a huge need but picking Okudah is not going to make this defense any better. As I said before, the team had Slay and was a disaster. Replacing him with a top prospect in Okudah isn't going to make a difference if we don't sure up the DL/LB position.

    Offenses as a whole are getting faster and matching that with size and speed is the direction I think you have to go. If you have players who are athletically limited, they are going to get beat. Plain and simple. They become a liability.

    I also just want a menacing LB, I feel like the Lions haven't had a top 5 LB in ages.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Myrtle Beach, SC
    Posts
    1,911
    Here is a snap count for Simmons last year:

    Outside Linebacker: 160
    Inside Linebaker: 121
    Conerback: 303
    Safety: 218

    One of 4 players with 100+ at each position.



    2016 PSD LIONS FORUM COMEBACK POSTER OF THE YEAR

    Favorite Teams
    Detroit Red Wings
    Detroit Lions
    Detroit Tigers
    North Carolina Tarheels Mens Basketball
    Florida State Seminoles Welcome to Tallahassee Mike Norvell!

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Saginaw, MI
    Posts
    24,686
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Yea I understand CB is a huge need but picking Okudah is not going to make this defense any better. As I said before, the team had Slay and was a disaster. Replacing him with a top prospect in Okudah isn't going to make a difference if we don't sure up the DL/LB position.

    Offenses as a whole are getting faster and matching that with size and speed is the direction I think you have to go. If you have players who are athletically limited, they are going to get beat. Plain and simple. They become a liability.

    I also just want a menacing LB, I feel like the Lions haven't had a top 5 LB in ages.
    this got me thinking, has it been since Spielman? he retired 25 years ago lol

    I guess maybe a season or two of Levy? Maybe not top 5, and maybe that credit should go to Suh anyway, so... yeesh

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Posts
    4,335
    Quote Originally Posted by GuySir View Post
    this got me thinking, has it been since Spielman? he retired 25 years ago lol

    I guess maybe a season or two of Levy? Maybe not top 5, and maybe that credit should go to Suh anyway, so... yeesh
    Spielman was before my time (29 yrs old) so I don't really know what it's like to have a great linebacker haha. Levy and Tulloch I feel like were good in the definition of what a good Lion was but in no way would I consider either of them ever being in the top 15 of the entire NFL.

    Give me a Kuechly, Vander Esch, Wagner, type of player who just reeks havoc on offenses. Maybe Simmons isn't that player given his jack of all trades usage but he's got me excited thinking he can do it all on the defensive side of things.

  11. #26
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Auburn, MI
    Posts
    5,593
    Quote Originally Posted by tigers.6 View Post
    Spielman was before my time (29 yrs old) so I don't really know what it's like to have a great linebacker haha. Levy and Tulloch I feel like were good in the definition of what a good Lion was but in no way would I consider either of them ever being in the top 15 of the entire NFL.

    Give me a Kuechly, Vander Esch, Wagner, type of player who just reeks havoc on offenses. Maybe Simmons isn't that player given his jack of all trades usage but he's got me excited thinking he can do it all on the defensive side of things.
    He is not going to be those guys...he has issues shedding blocks in college that is going to be a bigger issue for him in the pros.

    He is too small right now to set the line and be the point of attack it is harder to beat people with straight up speed in the nfl when it comes to avoiding a block and making the play. Not a fan of Simmons maybe if we dropped out of the top 5 to around 8 or 9 and you didn't have the best people at positions of need all over the board.
    2017 DRAFT GAME CHAMPION SUPREME!

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    N
    Posts
    21,849
    Young and it shouldn't even be a discussion.

  13. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by whooligun View Post
    Young and it shouldn't even be a discussion.
    Quinn is doing the drafting though so get ready to buy your Laviska Shenault jersey.

  14. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    78,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Boudreaux View Post
    Quinn is doing the drafting though so get ready to buy your Laviska Shenault jersey.
    Ugh. I like Laviska as a talent but of all the WR's 1st round capable, he is not on my list.

    Jeudy or Ruggs please. Elite route running or elite speed, both are missing from our WR's.

  15. #30
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    162
    Quote Originally Posted by LionsFan..LOL View Post
    Ugh. I like Laviska as a talent but of all the WR's 1st round capable, he is not on my list.

    Jeudy or Ruggs please. Elite route running or elite speed, both are missing from our WR's.
    No Shenault for you? Tee Higgins it is then. This is Bob Quinn we're talking about.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •