Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Will there be BB in 2020?

Need to get our minds off the virus, even momentarily. Do you feel there will be BB this year, if so when and what is the minimum number of games that would need to be played?

I am guessing July if at all. I think they need at minimum 80 games. Season could be pushed well into Nov., with post season played at neutral warm weather sites. Maybe a reduced postseason seeding, only division winners no wild cards?
    “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross,” --- Unknown
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

My guess is the next sport we see if NBA playoffs in very late summer.

I don't expect to see baseball this year. If we do, sometime in July and try to squeeze 100 games in by early Nov. Then playoffs mid Nov-Dec in Florida or some other warm area. Though snowy December baseball at YS would be fun.

I don't think football will be affected by what's going on.

The weather would play a significant factor to extend into Nov. I can’t see snow games being played. Players are not going to want to play in those conditions and fans aren’t going to sit in it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    http://www.logo-designer.co/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/Real-Madrid-football-club-logo-design-branding-identity-Ruben-Ferlo.jpg

Right not it FEELS like there won't be baseball or any other sport...

But once you look at the stats and stuff, I can see baseball picking back up in June sometime.. can't say when they would start games as they will need a few weeks to finish spring training...

I'd say the All-Star game is probably history...

As far as neutral sites... You have 2 LA, San Diego, Phoenix, Tampa and Miami that are pretty good for warm weather... and factoring in Domes in Seattle, Houston, Tampa (toilet bowl there), Miami, Toronto and Phoenix... that won't be a problem... Personally.. go back to the pre-90's model... LCS and WS only... I have no problem seeing them go deep into November.. but I think MLB needs to be done by Thanksgiving... past that and your starting to get into all the football playoffs (NFHS, NCAA and NFL) and MLB will lose that battle of what to televise... It won't hurt them to play a few scheduled DH's either.. they used to schedule them all the time...

MLB has been trying to generate the warm and fuzzy feeling that the NBA and NHL get from their playoff tournaments... but it just don't work... If the NBA and NHL cancelled their seasons and just did a tournament... people would be happy.. MLB just don't work well with the same style tourney play..

With NYC and parts of Jersey being pretty much the epicenter of this thing i just don't see how their going to play baseball in NYC.

Like i posted in a different thread my source said that both the Yanks and Mets are preparing to not play in NY this yr. Their looking for a neutral location but its a logistical nightmare.

Then u have the MILB, they gotta play also. They have to have the kids playing so theirs replacements for call ups, injuries development etc. Maybe they could send some of them down to the DR but that would only work for the lower level, plus what makes the DR idea even more complicated is they don't play at night down there.

If there are teams that can't play in there own parks in the regular season, for how many ever games that maybe, it becomes such a logistical nightmare that im not sure they can make a season work

If they are not worrying about fans because of the problems with this virus... there are quite a few spring training facilities... many here in phoenix have multiple fields.. they could easily host a MLB game on the major stadium with 2-3 minor league games on the sub-fields...

I've worked games at Tempe-Diablo.. (Angels).. they have a primary stadium and 5-6 full ballfields... and I know from checking out others.. all of them have similiar setups..

So logistics can be helped by using those...I've not seen any in Florida (hey, I live in Phoenix area after all).. I'm sure they are similiar in setup.. and some will still be able to use their home stadiums.. teams outside of the largest metropolitian areas (NYC, LA, Chicago... etc)

I think I speak for mostly all when I say this....

We are all going through the DT's at the moment... not just for baseball... but for sports of any kind. The last time I saw all sports shut down was the week after 9-11.. so when it happens.. that means something bad has/is happening... I hope that things can pick up soon...

I feel for the persons who have lost their jobs, the HS and college seniors who've had their year and all of the festivities going into graduation just killed. This is supposed to be one of the best times of their lives (and I remember my final months of HS very fondly with Prom, Class night, graduation and other last few months festivites) and that's all wrecked for them. That's not even talking about the spring sports for HS and NCAA and their lost seasons....

I hope this ends much sooner than later... though right now, it doesn't feel like it will happen. None of us can see an end in sight...

yeah there are some definite options for neutral site locations to play but their are 30 MLB teams and with the way the virus map looks, i'd say half of them would need places to play other than their home ballparks at least temporarily. Then each one of those teams has a minimum of 5-6? MILB teams. The Yanks have 7 stateside, with only Charleston not being in a seriously effected area that would need places to play. So just basic guess work on my part but lets say that teams even if they seriously streamlined there MILB teams for the yr would need to find places for 3-5 of there MILB teams to play. So they would be looking for locations for somewhere between 60-90 teams, including the MLB teams to play a 60-100? game schedule. Again lots of guess work on my part on how they would do the MILB teams, how many games they would play and how many of those teams aren't in hot spots. Anyway you look at it its a logistical nightmare.

If you just look at the Yanks and the Mets they both have 7 MILB teams state side, plus the MLB teams. Trying to schedule 16 teams alone in neutral location for 60 + games a piece would be a nightmare.

The easiest thing would be to cancel the MILB season but the MLB teams need the kids to play because they are going to need call ups and places for rehabbing MLB players to tune up. They also need for these kids to continue their development as well. 1 lost yr in development for these kids could easily change their career trajectories. For example think about if Garcia never had last yr to develop or worse if guys like Gil and Medina who have made huge strides towards the end of the yr last yr don't have a chance to continue to build off what they did last yr and in ST

IMO the absolute only way to do any kind of season with the way they are currently projecting the timeline of the virus would be to limit each team to have 3 MILB teams stateside for yr, maybe only 2 AA and AAA. Then have the rest of the kids play in on the DR teams, then keep the rest in extended ST type thing for the yr. Even then thats a huge amount of development lost. It would be particularly bad for us because the vast majority of our elite talent is still below A ball

Its complicated as hell just to try and explain my line of thinking, just think how difficult it would be to schedule and actually implement it would actually be.

Playoffs games late in the yr shouldn't be an issue its the regular season thats going to be the biggest problem if teams have to find neutral locations to play all yr

Somewhere within the transmutation of Yin and Yang
    Yes. I think we see in the a season in which we get in 100 games or and this would be interesting, 19 games against each team in your division with the winner going forward into the playoffs and two WC series to get the rest of the teams needed into the playoffs.

I also think the stadiums will take strict precautions . Crowds will be significantly reduced, security will be very strictly enforced or as discussed, games will be played at a neutral location with no crowds.

I think there are many possibilities for playing games. They could literally have games played at tiny venues if there were no crowds. Those venues could be used just for baseball.

My guess is the start up right after they scheduled AS break.

The world is coming to an end and I don't even care. As long as I can have my limo and my orange hair"

Quote Originally Posted by dayners81 View Post
    yeah there are some definite options for neutral site locations to play but their are 30 MLB teams and with the way the virus map looks, i'd say half of them would need places to play other than their home ballparks at least temporarily. Then each one of those teams has a minimum of 5-6? MILB teams. The Yanks have 7 stateside, with only Charleston not being in a seriously effected area that would need places to play. So just basic guess work on my part but lets say that teams even if they seriously streamlined there MILB teams for the yr would need to find places for 3-5 of there MILB teams to play. So they would be looking for locations for somewhere between 60-90 teams, including the MLB teams to play a 60-100? game schedule. Again lots of guess work on my part on how they would do the MILB teams, how many games they would play and how many of those teams aren't in hot spots. Anyway you look at it its a logistical nightmare.

If you just look at the Yanks and the Mets they both have 7 MILB teams state side, plus the MLB teams. Trying to schedule 16 teams alone in neutral location for 60 + games a piece would be a nightmare.

The easiest thing would be to cancel the MILB season but the MLB teams need the kids to play because they are going to need call ups and places for rehabbing MLB players to tune up. They also need for these kids to continue their development as well. 1 lost yr in development for these kids could easily change their career trajectories. For example think about if Garcia never had last yr to develop or worse if guys like Gil and Medina who have made huge strides towards the end of the yr last yr don't have a chance to continue to build off what they did last yr and in ST

IMO the absolute only way to do any kind of season with the way they are currently projecting the timeline of the virus would be to limit each team to have 3 MILB teams stateside for yr, maybe only 2 AA and AAA. Then have the rest of the kids play in on the DR teams, then keep the rest in extended ST type thing for the yr. Even then thats a huge amount of development lost. It would be particularly bad for us because the vast majority of our elite talent is still below A ball

Its complicated as hell just to try and explain my line of thinking, just think how difficult it would be to schedule and actually implement it would actually be.

Playoffs games late in the yr shouldn't be an issue its the regular season thats going to be the biggest problem if teams have to find neutral locations to play all yr
    I understand all too well... though I think most of the short-season A ball teams will become NO SEASON this year not matter what happens... which will eleaviate some of that..

I am hoping that this will clear by June.. will it?

Even worse than all of that though... is this going to be like the flu and we get annual visits from this bug? If that's the case, me might as well just give up and all get it at once and get it over with...

https://theathletic.com/1718395/2020...shared-article
    Klaw article on the impending MILB situation and the purposals that are on the table

Worth the read

Quarantine all players, coaches, staff and umps.
    Test everyone. Once everyone is deemed healthy, play ball.
    I really don't see why this isn't a feasible option. They'd be able to start up in a month or so and get most of the season in.

Sounds simple 28? What about the fans? Do they play in empty stadiums? TV coverage only? What about teams
    (majority) that don't have RSN's and rely strictly on local TV deals? What happens to those deals? No gate receipts put certain teams at financial disadvantage and risk. What about ad revenue the real economic driver? How will teams pay players? Lots of question, very few answers.

I have a feeling, like the rest of the world, BB may never be the same and may take a long time to recover.
    “When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying a cross,” --- Unknown
    "Not everything that counts can be counted and not everything that can be counted counts."--- Albert Einstein
    “Not everything that is faced can be changed, but nothing can be changed until it is faced.”---- James Baldwin

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    Sounds simple 28? What about the fans? Do they play in empty stadiums? TV coverage only? What about teams
    (majority) that don't have RSN's and rely strictly on local TV deals? What happens to those deals? No gate receipts put certain teams at financial disadvantage and risk. What about ad revenue the real economic driver? How will teams pay players? Lots of question, very few answers.

I have a feeling, like the rest of the world, BB may never be the same and may take a long time to recover.
    No fans. TV only.
    Teams and owners are plenty rich, nobody is at a financial disadvantage. Certain teams just choose not to spend. It's not that they cant. I've felt that way forever though.
    Rays, Pirates and other teams are just cheap. They aren't poor.
    As revenue? If games are on TV, still have commercials. Can put more ads behind home plate like the already do. Have the play by play guys on TV say brought to you by... Like Sterling and Waldman do. Speed is great for pitching, not for driving!

True. One of my pet peeves are the "MLB welfare teams" that cry poverty with millions banked.

However I would imagine, with limited gate revenue, some teams might be hard pressed to meet payroll. Your ad revenue idea works for the RSN's, what about teams that rely on local TV deals? Will they televise games with no fans? Even so, many of the small market TV deals wouldn't cover payroll. It's gonna be a challenge.

Have no fear Capt. Trump will rescue baseball and America!
    #respectyourpresident

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast