Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 20
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    San Francisco, CA
    Posts
    39,097

    Tony Boselli in ICU with coronavirus


  2. #2
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    7,767
    Did he have any preexisting conditions? I’d be curious to know what blood type he was. I’ve heard even that makes a differences how bad your symptoms are.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,192
    As we're seeing, the original assumption that this was only fatal for older ppl and/or those with health issues is untrue....and was never true given the Chinese Dr that first brought this out died from it and was neither.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    33,943
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    As we're seeing, the original assumption that this was only fatal for older ppl and/or those with health issues is untrue....and was never true given the Chinese Dr that first brought this out died from it and was neither.
    I don’t think anyone ever though it was “only” fatal for older people. I’m pretty sure fatality is still extremely low in younger people. Also, Baselli is 47 not 27.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,192
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I don’t think anyone ever though it was “only” fatal for older people. I’m pretty sure fatality is still extremely low in younger people. Also, Baselli is 47 not 27.
    Early on there was talk all over (including PSD) that a young person getting it was 'no big deal', it was that they might pass it to an 'elderly person' that made it a bigger deal........47 isn't 27, but not 67 either.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    11,648
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I don’t think anyone ever though it was “only” fatal for older people. I’m pretty sure fatality is still extremely low in younger people. Also, Baselli is 47 not 27.
    I'm only 27, but it honestly has surprised me how many people view 50 as "old". Like a 47 year old potentially dying in ICU shouldn't feel like a "well, he's older, so naturally can't fight like he used to" situation. Not that I'm putting those words in your mouth, but a lot of people seem to be acting like it's no big deal that 50-65 year olds are high risk.

    BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Rhode Island
    Posts
    33,943
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Early on there was talk all over (including PSD) that a young person getting it was 'no big deal', it was that they might pass it to an 'elderly person' that made it a bigger deal........47 isn't 27, but not 67 either.
    I hate the phrase “no big deal” because we’re taking about human life. But as a broad, general statement, in a purely statistical sense, from everything I’ve seen it still rings true. Fatality rate is exceptionally low in young people still. Obviously we all need to be extremely careful because you can always be the exception to the rule but on a broad scale our risk with young people still seems to be transmission over fatality. Doesn’t mean there won’t be individual deaths - each of which is tragic let me be clear. But there’s a reason why young people getting it we send home to self quarantine rather than leave in the hospital.


    NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,198
    Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I hate the phrase “no big deal” because we’re taking about human life. But as a broad, general statement, in a purely statistical sense, from everything I’ve seen it still rings true. Fatality rate is exceptionally low in young people still. Obviously we all need to be extremely careful because you can always be the exception to the rule but on a broad scale our risk with young people still seems to be transmission over fatality. Doesn’t mean there won’t be individual deaths - each of which is tragic let me be clear. But there’s a reason why young people getting it we send home to self quarantine rather than leave in the hospital.
    Correct. Right now the fatality rate between the ages of 20-49 is 0.32%. That means that about 3 people out of every 1,000 people that get sick from Covid-19 end up passing away. You'd have to assume that the deaths in that range have some sort of underlying medical issue or a compromised immune system. Obviously it's a huge deal and 3 deaths is still 3 too many though.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Metroplex
    Posts
    2,631
    Quote Originally Posted by mgjohnson7851 View Post
    Correct. Right now the fatality rate between the ages of 20-49 is 0.32%. That means that about 3 people out of every 1,000 people that get sick from Covid-19 end up passing away. You'd have to assume that the deaths in that range have some sort of underlying medical issue or a compromised immune system. Obviously it's a huge deal and 3 deaths is still 3 too many though.
    The fatality rate is also a function of modern medical availability. Far more than 0.3 percent of young people end up on ventilators but most recover due to relatively young age. However if the entire medical system was overran and collapses then the case fatality rate sky rockets for all age ranges.

    Also we should note that over 50% of the US population has a preexisting condition as defined relative to Covid-19:
    - Hypertension
    - Diabetes
    - BMI > 40
    - age > 60
    - smoker
    - auto immune disorders

    Any one of these is considered a comorbidity that makes you far more likely to die from Covid so it is amusing to me that everyone says "he must have had a preexisting condition". Yep given the odds of so many people fitting into one of the categories above they likely did. I find that comment a straw man used by many to diminish the significance of this novel virus and associated pandemic.
    Last edited by zookman65; 04-05-2020 at 06:28 PM.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,301
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    Also we should note that over 50% of the US population has a preexisting condition as defined relative to Covid-19:
    - Hypertension
    - Diabetes
    - BMI > 40
    - age > 60
    - smoker
    - auto immune disorders
    Note that vaping counts as smoking too.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate



    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    20,198
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    The fatality rate is also a function of modern medical availability. Far more than 0.3 percent of young people end up on ventilators but most recover due to relatively young age. However if the entire medical system was overran and collapses then the case fatality rate sky rockets for all age ranges.

    Also we should note that over 50% of the US population has a preexisting condition as defined relative to Covid-19:
    - Hypertension
    - Diabetes
    - BMI > 40
    - age > 60
    - smoker
    - auto immune disorders

    Any one of these is considered a comorbidity that makes you far more likely to die from Covid so it is amusing to me that everyone says "he must have had a preexisting condition". Yep given the odds of so many people fitting into one of the categories above they likely did. I find that comment a straw man used by many to diminish the significance of this novel virus and associated pandemic.
    I'd argue that the rate is actually lower than .3% based on the fact that they don't test people in that age group unless it requires hospitalization. They tell you to quarantine yourself for 2 weeks if you have symptoms.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,192
    Does it really frigging matter what the fatality rate is by age or anything else as far as how governments, businesses, and individuals handle the situation?! We're well past the 'should we take it seriously' phase with near 10k Americans having died from it and this week being another week they expect a spike.

    It sickens me to read stories about the woman in Pennsylvania deliberately coughing in a grocery store, causing $35,000 in produce to have to be tossed...or the 86 yr old woman in NY who died, not of the virus, but from injuries sustained when a 32 yr old shoved her down for not properly social distancing in a hospital.

    We don't really KNOW the numbers...there's underreporting, there's unknowns, there are people dying that may not have (at least prior to passing) diagnosed.....none of THAT should do anything but make us more serious about doing our own part.

    I happen to live in an area where there are literally less than 10 positives within 40 miles of me, over half of which have recovered and none yet have been hospitalized. Does that mean I can be lax? Nope!
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,301
    Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    Does it really frigging matter what the fatality rate is
    Yes.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate



    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,055
    What matters is infrastructure is being overwhelmed by this and a lot of people are dying, and dying fast. So no- it doesnt matter what the death rate is.

    It's definitely higher than people think.

    Experts believe it's at least 10 times more fatal that the flu, so that puts the real rate to be expected at 1-2 percent


    A lot of people are dying and not getting diagnosed with it. People arent posthumously tested.

    It's bad. Were gonna be on some kind of social distancing decree until 2021 I'd venture to guess.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by blams; 04-06-2020 at 12:54 PM.

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    10,301
    Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    Experts believe it's at least 10 times more fatal that the flu, so that puts the real rate to be expected at 1-2 percent
    The experts at the Centre for Evidence-Based Medicine at the University of Oxford have it at 0.1%.

    https://www.cebm.net/covid-19/global...atality-rates/

    The best example right now is Iceland who has tested almost 3% of their population. They've had 2 deaths from 963 cases, which puts the mortality rate at 0.21%. The data suggests if they tested 100% of their population to overcome selection bias, the rate would be between 0.01% and 0.19%.

    Swine flu deaths were at 5.1% at 10 weeks in, and fell to 0.02% by the end. This also suggests COVID19 will end up below 0.2% by the end.

    https://www.eurosurveillance.org/con...14.33.19309-en
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate



    Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •