Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Scott Boras's plan: 162 games with Postseason through Christmas

On Christmas Day in 2020, there will be snow on the ground, but cheer in your heart. No, not because you’re surrounded by your loving family, but because there’s baseball on TV.

This could actually be a reality if Scott Boras gets his way. Boras, the 67-year-old super agent who represents many of the game’s brightest stars, believes there’s still a way Major League Baseball can hold a 162-game season in 2020 despite the coronavirus shutdown currently delaying and perhaps endangering the season.

It’s the baseball version of “the worst person you know just made a great point.”

How would it work? Well, it would involve playing deep into the year, which means it would also involve a lot of neutral-site games, according to the Los Angeles Times.

“We have it all mapped out,” Boras said. “It’s workable. We’ve done climate studies, and in Southern California, the average temperature in December is 67 degrees, which is better than late March and early April in most cities. We have 11 stadiums we could play postseason games in. I’m gonna get my neutral-site World Series after all.”
    Boras has long been a proponent of playing the World Series — or, at least, the first two games of it — at a neutral site to give fans and corporate sponsors months in advance to plan travel to and purchase tickets for games, turning baseball’s signature event into a multiple-day happening like the Super Bowl or All-Star game.
    In Boras’ scenario, the regular season would start either June 1 or July 1. He’s mapped out plans for both instances. Boras’ June 1 proposal would involve 162 games. If the season starts July 1, Boras envisions a 144-game season.

The MLB season, which was supposed to begin March 26, has been indefinitely postponed due to the coronavirus. Every other major sports league has postponed events and games due to the threat of the virus.

Both of Boras’ scenarios involve the postseason taking place in December, with the final game scheduled for Dec. 26. That means fans could get baseball on Christmas Day if the World Series goes six games.
    - Seasons starts June 1 or July 1
    - If the season starts on June 1 it'll be 162 games; If it starts July 1 it'll be 144
    - Postseason games would be played in neutral warm/mild-weather stadiums, including World Series
    - Final World Series game would be played on December 26th
    - If the season started in July there would be 12 doubleheaders

I want

If season starts June 1 and goes until October 16 - 8 games per week (20 week season) - 1.5 double headers a week with 1 day off every 2 weeks, no all-star break - 28 man rosters - 162 game season
    If seasons starts June 28 and goes until October 16 - 8 games per week (16 week season) - roughly 128 games, again 28 man rosters

Have double headers every Sunday, and middle of the week day like Wednesday there will be both day and night baseball every other week.

This still gives position players a day off every other week, teams can have 15 pitchers to accommodate the work load, allowing a 5 man rotation, plus an extra starter for double headers and an extra reliever

Then in the post-season, just remove the days off from the schedule
    Post season starts 10/18 with wild card games in both leagues, then best of 5 starts 10/20 and play for 5 days
    LCS starts 10/27
    World Series starts 11/4, ends potentially 11/10

Playoffs played in neutral sites, with ticket concessions going to expected hosting teams with a rent share to stadium that hosts series.

I'm a big fan of trying to get 162 games in if we can. Even if means the post-season is pushed back.

I think rosters need to expand for this season so we can play more baseball though.
    Last edited by Jeffy25; 03-25-2020 at 05:29 PM.

Certainly not gonna hold my breath on any of these potential workarounds.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    Certainly not gonna hold my breath on any of these potential workarounds.
    I wouldn't either. But I imagine we'll get at least an abbreviated season, with some work arounds to get in more than half of the games. Maybe a 112 game season or something like that.

Early November is fine anywhere. But nothing past November 15th, unless they plan on playing all games in the Sunbelt.
    Last edited by dodgerdave; 03-25-2020 at 09:16 PM.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Give me a December World Series played all in Florida. AL team plays home games at the Trop. NL home games at Marlins Park.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Give me a December World Series played all in Florida. AL team plays home games at the Trop. NL home games at Marlins Park.
    The trop. No. Please. No.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    He is talking about the one and only, pure trash: Ereck Flowers

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyskilla View Post
    His stern face can give that impression but I don't feel that's the case. New York isn't an easy place to play at, so honestly I can see his confidence at an all-time low for him.

I don't think he's a bust. I think he just needs the right motivation to pick himself up & play harder.

Quote Originally Posted by RCSownsU View Post
    The trop. No. Please. No.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
    It would be the perfect way to end an already F'd up season.
    World series: AL games in the worst ballpark in baseball and NL games in the least visited ballpark.
    Plus, then mush could go.

Either the AL or NL playoffs can be in Phoenix and the other in Miami. Both warm climates with indoor/outdoor stadiums.

Quote Originally Posted by Tkais9009 View Post
    Either the AL or NL playoffs can be in Phoenix and the other in Miami. Both warm climates with indoor/outdoor stadiums.
    Yup, and just play the 'home teams games' to whichever is closer to the team geographically.

Since the Rangers have a dome now, and are unlikely to play in the playoffs, they'd make for a good neutral site for the world series.

Make no mistake. If they don't play it hurts Boras' bottom line. That is all he is worried about.

Less guys in the draft, less guys for him to represent. Etc.

Far too much revenue lost with neutral site World Series games. Not going to happen.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    Far too much revenue lost with neutral site World Series games. Not going to happen.
    Not as much of a loss as no WS games.

Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Not as much of a loss as no WS games.
    Exactly. They'll go for a not ideal solution over no solution if necessary.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast