Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

QB Musical chairs

So, now that the bigger dominos have fallen, what happens next for some of these guys who've done nothing but start or have been assumed to be a starter.

The spots left for these guys are closing...and the draft hasn't even happened.

What's next for Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, and Jameis Winston?
    Marcus Mariota has already signed to presumably be Carr's backup....or do the Raiders trade Carr?
    Mitchell Trubisky will assumedly come to camp NOT as the starter. I was trying to think if there's ever been a former #1 overall pick relegated to a backup role by the end of their rookie contract, yet remained in the league....or #2 for that matter (RGIII I guess)....Mariota and Trubisky were #2s.

Presumed/Assumed starters right now:
    I'll list presumed starters for each, with last year's starter in parenthesis if different
    Asterisks indicate guys who were backups prior
    AFC

East

Buffalo Bills Josh Allen
    Miami Dolphins Ryan Fitzpatrick?
    New England Patriots Biggest current question (Tom Brady)
    New York Jets Sam Darnold

North

Baltimore Ravens LaMar Jackson
    Cincinnati Bengals Joe Burrows?
    Cleveland Browns Baker Mayfield
    Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger

South

Houston Texans Desean Watson
    Indianapolis Colts Philip Rivers
    Jacksonville Jaguars Gardner Minshew
    Tennessee Titans Ryan Tannehill* (Marcus Mariota)

West

Denver Broncos Drew Lock* (Joe Flacco)
    Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes
    Oakland Raiders Derek Carr
    Los Angeles Chargers Tyrod Taylor* (Philip Rivers)

NFC

East

Dallas Cowboys Dak Prescott
    New York Giants Daniel Jones
    Philadelphia Eagles Carson Wentz
    Washington Redskins Duane Haskins?

North

Chicago Bears Nick Foles (Mitchell Trubisky)
    Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford….?
    Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers
    Minnesota Vikings Kirk Cousins

South

Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan
    Carolina Panthers Teddy Bridgewater* (Cam Newton)
    New Orleans Saints Drew Brees
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tom Brady (Jameis Winston)

Other than whatever happens in New England, one would expect Cincy's #1 pick starts from day 1, but how quickly do Tua and Herbert supplant whomever is starting where they're drafted? Or is Burrow (this assumes he's a Bengal) the only one?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Didnt Tua say he wants to sit for a year

I don't believe I said Tua would or should start day 1, I asked when people thought he might.
    Let's say somehow he ends up a Patriot...think it possible he beats out Stidham and Hoyer early on?

And now rumor is, Cam Newton could end up with the Redskins....not a logical fit, at least unless he's released because of his cap hit combined with Alex Smith still being a huge chunk of their cap another 2-3 yrs
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Pats are done with Stidham, Kessler and Hoyer until the draft.

Famous Jameis to the Steelers.

Dalton to the Jags.

Flacco to retirement.

Cam to the XFL.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

Quote Originally Posted by Bullseyed View Post
    Pats are done with Stidham, Kessler and Hoyer until the draft.

Famous Jameis to the Steelers.

Dalton to the Jags.

Flacco to retirement.

Cam to the XFL.
    Don't know who will take a flier on Jameis. He's immature and doesn't seem to understand that no one cares to see him show off how talented he can be when he consistently screws the pooch. Until he does, I don't see a team like Pittsburgh coming a thousand miles near him.

I don't see Dalton to Jacksonville either. The Jags appear to like what they have in Minshew. I wouldn't say the Patriots either as it seems that New England wants to kick the tires on Stidham first, he appears to be their guy moving forward, unless he falls on his face. I think Dalton may have to wait for a team to have their QB get injured and then sign there. He has some talent and is a good QB, but there are no first string openings for him right now. If he fills in for a contender's injured QB, he'll have a market. If not, he may not get another shot at being a first stringer.

Agree on Flacco is cooked. Maybe someone will sign him as a backup somewhere

Cam is in a similar position to Dalton. The problem for Cam is that if I were a contender and my QB went down, I'd go with Dalton. If two QB's go down for contenders, maybe Cam gets a shot at that point. The XFL, to prove he can still do it physically, may not be such a bad idea.

Not sure what NE plan is but there sure are a lot of QB available. They lucked out having Brady fall to them now he leaves during the best year to sign a QB in the history of the NFL. This doesn’t happen a lot .

Quote Originally Posted by ortforshort View Post
    Don't know who will take a flier on Jameis. He's immature and doesn't seem to understand that no one cares to see him show off how talented he can be when he consistently screws the pooch. Until he does, I don't see a team like Pittsburgh coming a thousand miles near him.

I don't see Dalton to Jacksonville either. The Jags appear to like what they have in Minshew. I wouldn't say the Patriots either as it seems that New England wants to kick the tires on Stidham first, he appears to be their guy moving forward, unless he falls on his face. I think Dalton may have to wait for a team to have their QB get injured and then sign there. He has some talent and is a good QB, but there are no first string openings for him right now. If he fills in for a contender's injured QB, he'll have a market. If not, he may not get another shot at being a first stringer.

Agree on Flacco is cooked. Maybe someone will sign him as a backup somewhere

Cam is in a similar position to Dalton. The problem for Cam is that if I were a contender and my QB went down, I'd go with Dalton. If two QB's go down for contenders, maybe Cam gets a shot at that point. The XFL, to prove he can still do it physically, may not be such a bad idea.
    Why would Pittsburgh not pick him up? Take a look around the NFL and feel free to point out how many backups are more talented than Jameis. And when your other choices are two guys named Rudolph and Duck, I think the choice is pretty clear if you're bringing in Jameis on a 1 year deal to be a backup.

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    So, now that the bigger dominos have fallen, what happens next for some of these guys who've done nothing but start or have been assumed to be a starter.

The spots left for these guys are closing...and the draft hasn't even happened.

What's next for Andy Dalton, Cam Newton, Joe Flacco, and Jameis Winston?
    Marcus Mariota has already signed to presumably be Carr's backup....or do the Raiders trade Carr?
    Mitchell Trubisky will assumedly come to camp NOT as the starter. I was trying to think if there's ever been a former #1 overall pick relegated to a backup role by the end of their rookie contract, yet remained in the league....or #2 for that matter (RGIII I guess)....Mariota and Trubisky were #2s.

Presumed/Assumed starters right now:
    I'll list presumed starters for each, with last year's starter in parenthesis if different
    Asterisks indicate guys who were backups prior
    AFC

East

Buffalo Bills Josh Allen
    Miami Dolphins Ryan Fitzpatrick?
    New England Patriots Biggest current question (Tom Brady)
    New York Jets Sam Darnold

North

Baltimore Ravens LaMar Jackson
    Cincinnati Bengals Joe Burrows?
    Cleveland Browns Baker Mayfield
    Pittsburgh Steelers Ben Roethlisberger

South

Houston Texans Desean Watson
    Indianapolis Colts Philip Rivers
    Jacksonville Jaguars Gardner Minshew
    Tennessee Titans Ryan Tannehill* (Marcus Mariota)

West

Denver Broncos Drew Lock* (Joe Flacco)
    Kansas City Chiefs Patrick Mahomes
    Oakland Raiders Derek Carr
    Los Angeles Chargers Tyrod Taylor* (Philip Rivers)

NFC

East

Dallas Cowboys Dak Prescott
    New York Giants Daniel Jones
    Philadelphia Eagles Carson Wentz
    Washington Redskins Duane Haskins?

North

Chicago Bears Nick Foles (Mitchell Trubisky)
    Detroit Lions Matthew Stafford….?
    Green Bay Packers Aaron Rodgers
    Minnesota Vikings Kirk Cousins

South

Atlanta Falcons Matt Ryan
    Carolina Panthers Teddy Bridgewater* (Cam Newton)
    New Orleans Saints Drew Brees
    Tampa Bay Buccaneers Tom Brady (Jameis Winston)

Other than whatever happens in New England, one would expect Cincy's #1 pick starts from day 1, but how quickly do Tua and Herbert supplant whomever is starting where they're drafted? Or is Burrow (this assumes he's a Bengal) the only one?

imagine knowing you just lost your job when healthy to teddy B... i really hope this doesnt bite the panthers but i would have gone young if replacing cam and tanked/rebuild etc. Cant see the point of trying to win with teddy B

Cam > Tyrod
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by CasperX22 View Post
    Why would Pittsburgh not pick him up? Take a look around the NFL and feel free to point out how many backups are more talented than Jameis. And when your other choices are two guys named Rudolph and Duck, I think the choice is pretty clear if you're bringing in Jameis on a 1 year deal to be a backup.
    The rape jokes literally would make themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post

imagine knowing you just lost your job when healthy to teddy B... i really hope this doesnt bite the panthers but i would have gone young if replacing cam and tanked/rebuild etc. Cant see the point of trying to win with teddy B
    The only way it makes sense is if they go with a rookie and plan to sit him a year or two.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Pittsburgh and Jameis (or Cam for that matter)

No question Jameis is extremely talented.
    With Ben being old and coming off a bad injury, signing Jameis would automatically create a battle for starting QB no matter what Mike Tomlin would say. Therefore, to sign Jameis would be tantamount to starting an immediate quarterback controversy. I'm going to guess that Tomlin probably feels that he doesn't need that. The Steelers have had enough drama with Ben. LeVeon and Antonio Brown recently. I guess what I'm saying is that Jameis is too good to be signed on as a backup. Same for Cam. You bring either one in to any franchise right now and you're creating a QB controvery. With most franchises already having their number 1 set and the others poised to go with a first rounder in this year's drafft, Cam and Jameis will have to wait until an opening arises.

TD to TO ratio is 131:111 for Winston. He pretty much is what he is. He isn't going to get better. It can be argued that Rudolph won't either, but I can understand why teams wouldn't be interested in Winston or would prefer other options.
    Chicago CubsChicago BlackhawksBuffalo BillsSouthern Illinois University Salukis

Naomi OsakaAngelique KerberBianca Andreescu

Quote Originally Posted by manbearchef View Post
    The rape jokes literally would make themselves.

The only way it makes sense is if they go with a rookie and plan to sit him a year or two.
    I mean at least it's only Pittsburgh

Quote Originally Posted by Jack the Ripper View Post
    TD to TO ratio is 131:111 for Winston. He pretty much is what he is. He isn't going to get better. It can be argued that Rudolph won't either, but I can understand why teams wouldn't be interested in Winston or would prefer other options.
    I mean how many teams out there have a backup QB that can throw for 5000 yards? I'm not suggesting grooming him to be your future starter, but objectively speaking how many backup QB's are capable of having a stretch of 4-5 games the way Jameis can? Most teams a starting QB goes down it's season over. Jameis is capable of keeping you afloat if you're without your starter for a month.

I mean how many teams out there have a backup QB that can throw for 5000 yards? I'm not suggesting grooming him to be your future starter, but objectively speaking how many backup QB's are capable of having a stretch of 4-5 games the way Jameis can? Most teams a starting QB goes down it's season over. Jameis is capable of keeping you afloat if you're without your starter for a month.
    Plus side - you have a guy who will be sitting on the bench who is capable of throwing for 6000 yards (albeit with a thousand of them going to the opposition)

Minus side - you have a guy who is not comfortable in his role as a backup (it's nuts to think that a guy who likes to show off his arm to the detriment of his team's success is going to be happy and quiet being a backup) and who's mere presence will cause a QB controversy - when all you really want out of a backup is a competent guy who can come in and hold the fort for a few games.

This isn't fantasy football. There's real people involved and a locker room atmosphere to consider. If your starting QB goes down and you're a contender and you don't have a world class backup, then, yes, you would consider signing Winston. You might also consider calling Dalton and Cam before him (I would). Until the injury happens, all you are doing with Winston is asking for a lot of headaches for a guy sitting on the bench. And you are wondering why no one is sprinting to sign him?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast