Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Last Chance for our DC Guenther?

His first year he had zero talent on defense and thus was granted a pass. His second year he was given several talented rookies to work with and they showed promise but still not good enough. Though still given a pass because of the lack of overall talent. However, this year heís being given several improvements from FA. His promising rookies from the year before will have some development and he will likely receive another talented bunch of rookies this year.

I donít think the expectations should be that we have a top 5 defense or bye. However, if we donít at least finish middle of the pack defensively should it be time to move on from Guenther?

I think one of the reasons why John brought in Marinelli, Was if PG and the defense still struggled he has someone to turn to mid season.. He is on a shorter leash then most think. IMO

Quote Originally Posted by sicknick12 View Post
    I think one of the reasons why John brought in Marinelli, Was if PG and the defense still struggled he has someone to turn to mid season.. He is on a shorter leash then most think. IMO
    Absolutely. I thought about mentioning his potential mid season replacement but figured Iíd leave it for debate.

I agree I think heís on notice. Marinelli can step in if needed. However, do you think theyíd pull the plug mid season? His first two years havenít exactly been 100% his fault. Do they give him the benefit of doubt to see out the season. Does our record matter in the decision? Or is it purely on how the defense looks

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Absolutely. I thought about mentioning his potential mid season replacement but figured Iíd leave it for debate.

I agree I think heís on notice. Marinelli can step in if needed. However, do you think theyíd pull the plug mid season? His first two years havenít exactly been 100% his fault. Do they give him the benefit of doubt to see out the season. Does our record matter in the decision? Or is it purely on how the defense looks
    I think it's a combination. If we're in a playoff push, and the D stinks, I could see the change. Expectations have to be pretty high this year for a playoff run.

His first year he had zero talent on defense and thus was granted a pass. His second year he was given several talented rookies to work with and they showed promise but still not good enough. Though still given a pass because of the lack of overall talent. However, this year heís being given several improvements from FA. His promising rookies from the year before will have some development and he will likely receive another talented bunch of rookies this year.

I donít think the expectations should be that we have a top 5 defense or bye. However, if we donít at least finish middle of the pack defensively should it be time to move on from Guenther?
    If the defense can finish in the 13-18 range I would consider that an improvement and a win, considering how young the defense is, anything more than that is a bonus. I'm trying to have reasonable expectations here.

Guenther has a long term contract no? I thought whole point of this was to stick by your scheme beliefs hold fast build a foundation. We must be patient longer this is the first uear he has had any real talent

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Guenther has a long term contract no? I thought whole point of this was to stick by your scheme beliefs hold fast build a foundation. We must be patient longer this is the first uear he has had any real talent
    This year will be year three of a four year deal.

This year will be year three of a four year deal.
    If itís another ******** then understandable but if thereís progress I say we see it out.

We finally have a front 7 that is respectable, this will be the first year he actually has something to work with and we still have to add pieces. Donít think heís on the hot seat at all and I expect our defense to be much better than last year.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    If itís another ******** then understandable but if thereís progress I say we see it out.
    We should be at least middle of the pack this year

That is where I see it, Middle of the pack... I do think Malik is gonna do wonders for our defense though. Could really be the biggest signing of the off season. Guy can move a pocket. We have a lot of high motor guys on the DL. I like that a lot. Nassib is gonna be a nice rotation addition as well.

Right now our biggest need is CB.. If we can get one.. That would really complete our defense. I just don't think he has to many excuses, So if the Defense is struggling by week 10 and we are in a play off race... I think John turns it over to Marinelli. His defenses are not as complicated and they have always been solid.

I wonder if Marinelli even wants to be a DC at this point.

They're giving him the players that he needs. One more linebacker and nose tackle and he'll be set.