Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by dbacknick View Post
    Hey, I look at it with the fact that they know damn well that the secondary was a disaster. Bring people in that have experience. It can't get any worse, especially after last year. My only concern is Randall is not good run stopper, or so they say. I know our secondary was very poor at tackling. Like I've said, can't get any worse.
    Gruden will have to continue to use the Offense to protect the D rather than focus on scoring points, which means redbone O is critical if you are planning on long drives all game long. Its an absolute travesty that we still cant fix our D. Mayock was a DB maybe he can finally get us the right people back there.

Quote Originally Posted by TrueFan420 View Post
    Comment from the draft by our now GM:

"Randall is what today's free safety is all about. He is by far the best cover safety in this draft. Randall can play man-to-man; he has cornerback-level cover skills. You give up some physicality, but his coverage ability is where the NFL is going. Remember Jimmie Ward was a first-rounder last year (to the 49ers) with a similar skill set." -- Mike Mayock
    Fantastic find TrueFan perfect description by Mayock why teams didn't use him in this way is beyond me. At least we know how we plan to use him. To his strengths. He won't be in the box much. Centre field FS

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Fantastic find TrueFan perfect description by Mayock why teams didn't use him in this way is beyond me. At least we know how we plan to use him. To his strengths. He won't be in the box much. Centre field FS
    Yea itís gonna be interesting. He clearly hasnít lived up to his talent. But doesnít seem like heís been used well either. Abrams will certainly be the one in the box of the two. With Randall playing center field. Hope it works out cause the secondary has been a mess.

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    I would rather have kept Apple. Randall is primarily a runstopping safety who lacks size just like Joseph.
    I would rather have kept apple and sign Randall. Then in the draft we could have went wr then bpa!!! Now it forces our hand to let the whole league know we are going wr/cb in the first, even if the cb doesnít deserve to be in the first round

Quote Originally Posted by Megatron View Post
    I would rather have kept apple and sign Randall. Then in the draft we could have went wr then bpa!!! Now it forces our hand to let the whole league know we are going wr/cb in the first, even if the cb doesnít deserve to be in the first round
    We were in that position when we missed out on the big 3 in FA. We put all our eggs in the Jones basket and Miami went crazy 3 years guaranteed. Apple didnít meet his physical requirements in time I heard. If true we Swerved a problem Id say not professional.

Yea itís gonna be interesting. He clearly hasnít lived up to his talent. But doesnít seem like heís been used well either. Abrams will certainly be the one in the box of the two. With Randall playing center field. Hope it works out cause the secondary has been a mess.
    Our secondary is all hope and prayer right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Inspector View Post
    Our secondary is all hope and prayer right now.
    No doubt. Even if we draft a CB in the first and 3rd it will be hope and prayers

I wonder if they are working a better deal for apple? Or looking at dennard

Quote Originally Posted by erickench View Post
    Why teach when you're allowed backups? Every team should have two of each press man and zone. When you switch coverages you just bring in the right pair of corners for that coverage.
    Thatís pretty funny.

You want rotational cornerbacks with starter quality at all 4 positions not counting nickels (presumably you can cannibalize one)

Heh

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    You are touting this way too much, today's NFL often mixes coverages with one guy in a press coverage on the WR1 and the rest in zone. Additionally, just because a guy excels at press, doesn't mean he cant play zone.
    Zone is far and away easier

Unless a guy cheats or has the mentality to blow off his job, anyone good enough to press man can play any zone

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Raider View Post

Unless a guy cheats or has the mentality to blow off his job, anyone good enough to press man can play any zone
    I agree Indy.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Raider View Post

I donít pretend to know as much about football as some of you but I do know the biggest issue with zone is it requires everyone on the same page. Individually youíre likely right. However from a team concept zone is much more complicated.

I donít pretend to know as much about football as some of you but I do know the biggest issue with zone is it requires everyone on the same page. Individually youíre likely right. However from a team concept zone is much more complicated.
    Complicated as far as working parts yes, communication yes, but it's a common football scheme. If a CB can't cover an area, know when to pass off a guy to the next, well then I wouldn't have him on the team.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Quote Originally Posted by Wolfe-Raider View Post
    Complicated as far as working parts yes, communication yes, but it's a common football scheme. If a CB can't cover an area, know when to pass off a guy to the next, well then I wouldn't have him on the team.
    Yea but thatís the point. When thereís a bunch of moving parts itís much harder to organize compared to man coverage. Youíre relying on multiple people doing exactly what they need to vs just going out and beat your man.

Yea but thatís the point. When thereís a bunch of moving parts itís much harder to organize compared to man coverage. Youíre relying on multiple people doing exactly what they need to vs just going out and beat your man.
    I agree with you, but the same could be true in man defense when you count on everyone to stick with their guy. All schemes have a lot of moving parts that must work together, that is where leadership and coaching come together with ability. To think you can have two man guys and two zone guys that you can switch out whenever you feel that you should change schemes depending on what you think the offense is going to run is wishful thinking at best. The game is dynamic and fast, can't always substitute when you want, it's not hockey. You have to have players who are good at both, hopefully a guy or two that are great at both. Every team has lapses where they let a guy get open in zone and man and in a scheme that is mixed. That is why you practice. Yes, you have a mixture some guys are better at one than the other, but that doesn't mean they can't do one while being good at the other.

"...prone to stoogery.".

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast