Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Should the Patriots tank or stay the course?

Being a Patriots die hard I ask should the Patriots tank in order to land a QB like Trevor Lawrence especially if he comes out of college next year? Or should the Patriots instead go after an available quarterback via free agency and just try to stay on the win now path?

How do you tank? They'll probably go 9-7 with Stidham.

The Patriots SB odds without TB are tied with the Eagles, ahead of the Packers, Colts, Titans and Steelers.

Unless Stidham comes out looking worse than Mason Rudolph, the Pats are considered a playoff team.

And I say this as a Bills fan who hopes the TB BB magic is over.
    Dak: 15,778 @ 65.8%, 7.6 per att, 97+21 TD, 36 INT+31 FMB, 97.0 Rate
    Wentz: 14,191 @ 63.8%, 6.9 per att, 97+3 TD, 35 INT+48 FMB, 92.7 Rate

Quote Originally Posted by BDawk4Prez View Post
    I'll leave PSD if Foles isn't the starter in Jax (or elsewhere) next year.
    "Hater" is a term used by weak minded people in the face of legitimate criticism.
    -Scott van Pelt

I don't think they'll be bad enough to take Lawrence or Fields who will both likely be top 3 selections..barring injury or mighty regression.

In that case, I'd sign Winston and roll with him for the year. BB will hate his turnovers, but if they can be schemed down to 20-22 interceptions that's manageable.

Worse case scenario is that he falls on his face again and you start Stidham the second half of the season.

Any Patriots fan should have a relatively good understanding of what Stidham can do... that should answer the tanking question.

I expect the Pats to go with Stidham and change the way they play offense. They won’t be so rigid and timing based. I bet it leads to guys like NKeal Harry actually looking better. But it will lead to more turnovers and bad plays that ultimately do more to hurt you than the good does to help you. So the team will be way worse off this year.

Still so many moves to be made that I can’t really say how good they’ll be. Between the loss of Brady and a tougher schedule I think you’re looking at 6 wins or so though. Moves can be made to boost that.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

They straight up won half of their games with just defense last year, they're at worst a middle of the pack team.

Anyone dumb enough to think just one team will try to tank for Lawrence is in for a bad time. Everyone said Miami was taking for Tua and they screwed up so bad they weren't even top 4.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

I'm a firm believer in a team that have had a good run at QB, especially the GOAT for 20 years should at least have to go through 10 years or so of mediocre to sub-par QB play.

Its going to take at max 2 wins to land the #1 pick, probably less if there are teams out there actually trying to lose games. Pats will have 2 wins by week 5
    Last edited by MarkieMark48; 03-18-2020 at 03:07 PM.
    YOU JUST MADE THE LIST!!!!!

HAPPY RUSSEV DAY!!!

2019 PSD Fantasy Nascar Champion

I truly despise the thought of ANY team tanking...in any sport, anytime...it goes completely against the point of competition.....that is all.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    I expect the Pats to go with Stidham and change the way they play offense. They won’t be so rigid and timing based. I bet it leads to guys like NKeal Harry actually looking better. But it will lead to more turnovers and bad plays that ultimately do more to hurt you than the good does to help you. So the team will be way worse off this year.

Still so many moves to be made that I can’t really say how good they’ll be. Between the loss of Brady and a tougher schedule I think you’re looking at 6 wins or so though. Moves can be made to boost that.
    Almost no way they only win 6 games. Still in the biggest joke of a division in the NFL until proven otherwise. They will still have a great defense. Say they get a guy like Cam. They could easily be a division winner again.

Rippin' lips son!!

No no no even with Stidham they’ll still mange 8-10 wins.

Vince to Gronk

Not when you're in the division of the Jets/Dolphins/Bills. They are still probably the division favorites.

If I were them I'd try to get Andy Dalton. Always thought he was better than people give him credit for.

But my guess is they're going to go with a young QB.

This team is probably going to go 10-6 no matter who the QB though. Trash division unless you think the Bills are reliable.

Quote Originally Posted by JAZZNC View Post
    Almost no way they only win 6 games. Still in the biggest joke of a division in the NFL until proven otherwise. They will still have a great defense. Say they get a guy like Cam. They could easily be a division winner again.
    Cam doesn't cut his hair, dresses like a woman, and hasn't played an NFL game since 1984. He might be a good towel boy/emergency #3 QB for a team that cares more about dancing than futbaw. He's not qwhite the leader they're looking for.

BuT mUh 60% cOmPlEtion

Not much activity for NE so far.

They signed Damiere Byrd to replace Dorset as the 4th receiver. He brings added value as a punt and kick returner so I like the move in that sense. Will help with roster management.

They traded Duron Harmon to DET and signed Adrian Phillips. They’re going to get younger and save a couple million. There’s also a shift in playing style. Harmon is a deep safety while Phillips is more a SS/hybrid. Chung is a standout for us in that role but he’s aging and has battled injury issues. This gives us some insurance along with Terrence Brooks who was ok for us last year but ideally is STs only. The Pats remain exceptionally deep at CB though with everyone returning. Jonathan Jones has played some FS so I could see them continuing to play a lot of 3 safety sets but having the option of using 2 SS types or 2 FS types with the. With run defense being a big issues last year it could help when that dime back at Safety is more of a SS type than a FS. And Phillips is a stud STer as well. Overall I really like this move.

We also signed Beau Allen to replace Danny Shelton as a rotational run defender. Hopefully it’s an upgrade but honestly not sure.

We just signed Dan Vitale at GB. Hasn’t been announced yet but I’ve heard from people who know him that James Develin will have to retire because of the neck injury. Feel bad for him as he’s been really valuable so hopefully this covers us.

That’s really it so far. And there are still losses...

I think we’ll go with Stidham to “replace” Brady but we need to at least sign a vet to back him up. Hopefully Indy cuts Hoyer with Rivers in the fold.

We lost Jamie Collins and Elandon Roberts at LB. We still have Juwan Bentley to go with Hightower but more depth is needed.

On the edge we lost Kyle Van Noy. He will need to be replaced.

We lost ace STer Nate Ebner but we get Brandon King back from IR and added Phillips from above so we’re covered here.

Right now we have limited cap space but there are avenues to create more. Extensions for Hightower, Gilmore and Thuney could create up to $10M in cap space. I would do that and try to pursue Clowney if his market is depressed.

We also have Sanu counting at $6.5M. I’d try to trade him (no dead money) and replace him with Roby Anderson. We could use that deep ball skill set with a shift in QB and system.

I also think Tyler Eifert would be a nice addition at TE. At least better than what we have.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

We also signed Beau Allen to replace Danny Shelton as a rotational run defender. Hopefully it’s an upgrade but honestly not sure.
    I'm a big fan of Beau Allen because he's a funny guy, but no, that's not an upgrade. He will at least be used better than in Tampa Bay, I would assume.

I also think Tyler Eifert would be a nice addition at TE. At least better than what we have.
    Until he suffers his annual injury.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast