Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 451 of 627 FirstFirst ... 351401441449450451452453461501551 ... LastLast
Results 6,751 to 6,765 of 9393
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    Or, you know, don't pass out drunk on your car in a drive thru and the whole thing never happens.
    iindeed your 100 percent correct. But we live in a country with epidemics of mental illness and substance abuse. So these things will happen again. How to we plan for this to protect police officers and the person's who act irrationally ? Police departments have tanks, swat teams, and military grade equipment to deal with terrorism but why not the skills and resources to deal with crazy people ? Why not teams of mental health workers to respond to situations like this ? Maybe training to identify possible crazy people acting crazy ? Look local grocery stores, social service offices, churches and hospitals deal with crazy people and drug users constantly and don't make matters worst the vast majority of times. Most police too. What is called for is a change in strategy and an effort to let people calm down.

Quote Originally Posted by drt1010 View Post
    You reopen when the data suggests it's safe. NY flattened their curve, no they "SMASHED" their curve, the data now suggests it's safe to start phase 1 and slowly move to phase 2. Infection rates, hospitalizations, ICU admissions, all tell a story.
    I would be concerned if I was Cuomo right now. We've made a lot of progress but there will be more cases going forward. Its an inevitable outcome given the exposure level people will have going to bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Unfortunately, people gather this mindset that they beat this thing so they can go about their normal summer. People have to remain vigilant, wear masks, etc. If they don't do that, you're going to see significant spikes just because of population density.

I agree that New Yorkers did a good job. The problem is so did Californians and look at the spike in numbers for their state in recent days. They were quicker to the punch in terms of closing things down as well.

Its a matter of people not resting on their laurels just because progress was made.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-14-2020 at 02:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Please provide a reliable source fo that info.

Mush, I believe Doc said yesterday, this was not the second wave. No one thinks this is the second wave. It has go away before you can have a second wave.
    He has no reliable sources. He makes it up as he goes along. He probably heard it on Fox News first though.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    I would be concerned if I was Cuomo right now. We've made a lot of progress but there will be more cases going forward. Its an inevitable outcome given the exposure level people will have going to bars, restaurants, stores, etc. Unfortunately, people gather this mindset that they beat this thing so they can go about their normal summer. People have to remain vigilant, wear masks, etc. If they don't do that, you're going to see significant spikes just because of population density.

I agree that New Yorkers did a good job. The problem is so did Californians and look at the spike in numbers for their state in recent days. They were quicker to the punch in terms of closing things down as well.

Its a matter of people not resting on their laurels just because progress was made.
    I agree. Not time to gloat or sit on our laurels.

But worth noting progress is being made. It's the efforts of individuals doing their part, taking it seriously and realizing there is a collective need at stake.

Andrew Cuomo@NYGovCuomo
    3h
    We lost 23 New Yorkers to COVID yesterday — a new record low.

Total COVID hospitalizations fell to 1,657, the lowest since March 20.

The data show we’re continuing to make great progress.

Sell the Team, HAL!

I agree. Not time to gloat or sit on our laurels.

But worth noting progress is being made. It's the efforts of individuals doing their part, taking it seriously and realizing there is a collective need at stake.

Andrew Cuomo@NYGovCuomo
    3h
    We lost 23 New Yorkers to COVID yesterday — a new record low.

Total COVID hospitalizations fell to 1,657, the lowest since March 20.

The data show we’re continuing to make great progress.
    How much of that is due to limited access to things they normally do though? Essentially people have been able to go to the grocery store, run a few errands, etc. All the leisure stuff is just opening in places like Long Island and is still closed in New York City. Again, i'm more concerned with population density. Any place where people on top of each other (like in Brooklyn where i'm at) is an issue. People readily taking the subway, the bus, just proximity issues in general then telling people they can resume going to Manhattan to drink, etc. Yeah, curtailed capacity but really?

Human nature says that people will be out and about again and they'll be no shortages of businesses (that just lost 3 months of income) to accommodate them past regulation.

Its great to make progress but i would tread very lightly.

^^ No question. Wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just commenting on the effort of NYers to unite in a time of need, putting the collective good above individual desire. Once the city opens back up things could change, but I believe people are heeding the advice and warnings for the most part.

Sell the Team, HAL!

^^ No question. Wasn't suggesting otherwise. Just commenting on the effort of NYers to unite in a time of need, putting the collective good above individual desire. Once the city opens back up things could change, but I believe people are heeding the advice and warnings for the most part.
    I hope so. I also hope that's enough to keep numbers down. I am not betting on it it though.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Well, in an interview this week he was asked about the possibility of losing in November. He said he would move on and go back to what he had done prior of being the President.

Dr, Trump in a lot of scenarios is a lot of hot air. He will say something and then pull back.

Where is this WWlll at that most of the Democrats have said was going to happen? I’m still waiting for it. A little hint, he talks big and would still do anything to protect the Country but doesn’t really want a damn war. He puts fear into other Countries.

Trump is a deterrent.

Obama was not.

Joe Biden is not.

And how many other issues has he talked about doing that just scared the Democrats and it never came fruition.

So if he lost all I see is him just accepting it and moving on....

The People who even suggested that he won’t even leave office and just stay are idiots and morons.

Joe Biden actually said that the other day and of course the opposition takes Biden’s stance and thinks like him as well.

Please, be serious. Nobody is happy to lose but any President knows that they just can’t stay and not move from office if they lost.

That is a total bullspit assumption and only said for effect to put more bad light on Trump to help sway voters.
    Oh, man.

Quote Originally Posted by rrzubnyy View Post
    Dr, cut the bullspit of NY following science and date.

When they start their reopening and they will soon the numbers will increase just like the rest. So quit the arrogance of NY being the leader in all of this. They will fail too...all will fail until a vaccine is developed.

They are being more strict Dr with regards to reopening.
    Actually some states are and will handle this better due to a myriad of reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinkotheclown View Post
    Please provide a reliable source fo that info.

Mush, I believe Doc said yesterday, this was not the second wave. No one thinks this is the second wave. It has go away before you can have a second wave.
    Yup. Just a long first wave that never really curtailed off and doesn't seem to have an end in sight (especially with thoughtless regulations, selfish people, and giant protests).

So what are you saying or suggesting? More testing finds more infection. Check. Not all people have identical immune response? Check. Underlying pre-existing conditions influence outcomes? Check.

Virus weakening? No Nick as it mutates it gets more virulent.
    Yeah, I've seen nothing about the virus getting weaker and weaker after any potential mutations.

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post

It's also a matter of government entities caring more about propping up the economy NOW than caring about human life (even if the former ends up getting ****ed as well because of the latter). It sucks because it seems the vast majority of people in Cali seem to be over it and pretending the virus is no longer an issue. So between that, things opening back up, and the protests we're right back to where we were before re-opening and I assume they'll get worse really soon.

Treasury Secretary Mnuchin refuses to disclose recipients of taxpayer-funded coronavirus business loans
    Marcy Gordon and Mary Clare Jalonick Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Building ramparts of secrecy around a $600 billion-plus coronavirus aid program for small businesses, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin moved from delay to denial in refusing to disclose the recipients of taxpayer-funded loans.

Mnuchin told Congress at a hearing last week that the names of loan recipients and the amounts are "proprietary information." Though he claimed the information is confidential, some lawmakers see the move as an attempt to dodge accountability for how the money is spent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...id/3182772001/

What happened to oversight? Accountability? This is tax payer funded. Why such a lack of transparency? This one stinks worse than than a city dumpster in summer.

Sell the Team, HAL!

Treasury Secretary Mnuchin refuses to disclose recipients of taxpayer-funded coronavirus business loans
    Marcy Gordon and Mary Clare Jalonick Associated Press

WASHINGTON – Building ramparts of secrecy around a $600 billion-plus coronavirus aid program for small businesses, Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin moved from delay to denial in refusing to disclose the recipients of taxpayer-funded loans.

Mnuchin told Congress at a hearing last week that the names of loan recipients and the amounts are "proprietary information." Though he claimed the information is confidential, some lawmakers see the move as an attempt to dodge accountability for how the money is spent.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money...id/3182772001/

What happened to oversight? Accountability? This is tax payer funded. Why such a lack of transparency? This one stinks worse than than a city dumpster in summer.
    Don't want to tell taxpayers that we bailed out hotel chains, Trump allied businesses, cruise ship companies, etc. That's on Democrats too if they don't demand to know where the money went. Tick tock on the next bill btw. There are reports Trump wants the next stimulus bill to be over 2 trillion dollars because he's feeling pressure in the polls from his ****** response to the coronavirus and and his adversarial approach to the BLM movement.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-14-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by spliff(TONE) View Post
    It's also a matter of government entities caring more about propping up the economy NOW than caring about human life (even if the former ends up getting ****ed as well because of the latter). It sucks because it seems the vast majority of people in Cali seem to be over it and pretending the virus is no longer an issue. So between that, things opening back up, and the protests we're right back to where we were before re-opening and I assume they'll get worse really soon.
    I think its fair to say businesses had to come back eventually. Human behavior is not helping though as you and I have said.

My issue was the government should have given American citizens continuous direct payments from March onwards. March till September for example instead of bailing out all these big businesses. That would have stimulated the economy to where people would have an income coming in and they could have taken a more cautious approach to businesses coming back. I understand unemployment was out there but 44 million people out of work and this is going to go on much longer than July 31st (when unemployment ends) in terms of the virus's economic and societal impact.

There was no right answer but the government handled this whole thing in an awful manner. That's why McConnell keeps delaying the second stimulus package that the Democrats passed a month ago. Republicans are hoping this just fixes itself when its clear its going to take more government intervention financially.
    Last edited by metswon69; 06-14-2020 at 09:58 PM.