Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Edgar Martinez might be the reason why the Mariners are still in Seattle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEGq465jXH0

I believe this is part 3 of the series but very good stuff. Apparently the referendum for a new Mariners ballpark was rejected by public vote. Public sentiment changed after the game winning hit by Edgar to win the 1995 ALDS where the city council approved a new stadium which would become Safeco Field.

Still amazed that team in that time period never won a WS. You had 4 future HOFers and Jay Buhner who was one of the better power hitters in baseball in the mid to late 90s.

Definitely worth a watch imo.
    Last edited by metswon69; 04-11-2020 at 02:28 AM.

That 97 team also had Paul Sorrento and Jamie Moyer, and Jeff Fassero had a great year in the rotation as well. Their bullpen was atrocious though. Even as an Orioles fan, I am surprised we beat them in the ALDS that year.

Mariners greats a brief time period

Mark Langston - 1984-1989 - 19.2 rWAR
    Edgar Martinez - 1987-2004 - 68.4 rWAR
    Jay Buhner - 1988-2001 - 23.1 rWAR
    Ken Griffey Jr - 1989-1999 - 70.6 rWAR
    Omar Vizquel - 1989-1993 - 10.3 rWAR
    Randy Johnson - 1989-1998 - 39.0 rWAR
    Tino Martinez - 1990-1995 - 7.7 rWAR
    Bret Boone - 1992-1993, 2001-2005 - 19.2 rWAR
    Alex Rodriguez - 1994-2000 - 38.1 rWAR
    Jamie Moyer - 1996-2006 - 34.2 rWAR
    Freddy Garcia - 1999-2004 - 18.6 rWAR
    John Olerud - 2000-2004 - 17.1 rWAR
    Ichiro Suzuki - 2001-2012 - 56.2 rWAR

Don't forget about Felix coming along in 2005 of course

If they had kept each of these players, who don't overlap with one another in transactions (like Mike Cameron is a Mariner because of Ken Griffey, so he isn't counted), imagine a roster in 2001 (that won 116 games any way)

C - Dan Wilson - 32
    1B - John Olerud - 32
    2B - Bret Boone - 32
    SS - Alex Rodriguez - 25
    3B - Edgar Martinez - 38
    LF - Jay Buhner - 36
    CF - Ken Griffey Jr - 31
    RF - Ichiro Suzuki - 27

Bench - Omar Vizquel and Carlos Guillen among others

Rotation
    1. Randy Johnson - 37
    2. Freddy Garcia - 24
    3. Jamie Moyer - 38
    4-5. Aaron Sele/Paul Abbott/Joel Pinerio
    Langston retired in 99

This was Randy Johnson's elite time, same with Bret Boone, Alex Rodriguez, Edgar Martinez and Ichiro, and Griffey was still productive, but declining.

It's a shame this team didn't get to stay together.

I feel the same about the Indians of the 90's/early 00's as well.

Great post Jeffy. That would be a hard team to match up against. Might want to change the rotation as Garcia was a piece of the Randy Johnson deal.

Quote Originally Posted by ThomasTomasz View Post
    Great post Jeffy. That would be a hard team to match up against. Might want to change the rotation as Garcia was a piece of the Randy Johnson deal.
    Ah, forgot about that!

I figured I'd make a mistake like that somewhere. Good call.

That's just an insane roster, it's too bad they couldn't keep them all together. Griffey, A-Rod, Martinez, Ichiro, and Johnson could have all been on the same roster together.

The Angels blew a 13-game division lead in August of that season (1995). So if you want to give credit to someone with the Mariners still being in Seattle, it's certainly the Angels.

Future Hall of Shamers:
    (1) B.A.L.C.O. Barroids (2) Mark McJuicer (3) Jose Chem-seco (4) Rafael Palmeiroids (5) Ken Chem-initi (6) Jason Gi-andro (7) Ryan Fraud (8) Muscle Melk (9) Woman-Ram (10) Shammy Sosa (11) Roger Clear-mens (12) A-Roid (13) Ryan HGHoward

Quote Originally Posted by metswon69 View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zEGq465jXH0

I believe this is part 3 of the series but very good stuff. Apparently the referendum for a new Mariners ballpark was rejected by public vote. Public sentiment changed after the game winning hit by Edgar to win the 1995 ALDS where the city council approved a new stadium which would become Safeco Field.

Still amazed that team in that time period never won a WS. You had 4 future HOFers and Jay Buhner who was one of the better power hitters in baseball in the mid to late 90s.

Definitely worth a watch imo.
    It's kind of bitter sweet. As a baseball fan I'm very happy that we got a new stadium and team. But the taxpayers of my state got straight swindled for that stadium as well.

And man are you right. You have arguable top 4 players on that roster that are top 5 all time at their position with Edgar, Griffey, A-Rod, and the Big Unit. We just always had a struggling rotation and a terrible bullpen. Lou Pinella would often complain how hard it was to get new young pitchers to learn to pitch outside vs right handed hitters because little pokes to right field would often end up being home runs.

But man that has to be the funnest team all time to watch. Or at least in my 30 years on this earth. You had more characters on that team then the entire MLB has right now. I'll never forget going to the ballpark to get my head shaven on buzz cut night and getting in free. And Randy Johnson will mostly be remember as a Diamondback but he really connected with that crowd, and showed emotion you didn't see from him for the rest of his career. It's really a shame. He was willing to take a team friendly deal too, but we thought he was too big of a risk and he wouldn't last long with his back problems.... Well five Cy Youngs and a World Series ring later....