Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast
    For those who are concerned by the high number of cases in the US don't be. This was predictable because the testing has gone way up. It's not necessarily that more and more people are being infected but more that we're now testing people, many of which were already infected and just didn't know it. The true number is likely much higher than whatever we have recorded at the moment. That's good and bad news. Bad news because it means the virus is very much spread, good news because it means the mortality rates and hospitalizations are way overestimated. In the US at the moment, we have a mortality rate of about 1% and the true number is likely many levels of magnitude below this (since there are many who have not and won't be tested but won't die or go to the hospital). We'll start to see the benefits of the measures we're invoking in another week or two. After that, I suspect there will start to be talks of opening things back up, which I suspect will occur a few weeks after those talks once the daily number of new cases stabilizes and flattens out.

Here is a site where you can track the total and daily number of new cases

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

and here is one where you can track the number of tests being conducted by state

https://www.politico.com/interactive...-of-new-cases/

Together, these show an increase in the number of cases as testing goes up and a decrease in the mortality rates. The longer we wait to do our part, the longer we'll be stuck in this situation. Socially distance, be safe and responsible, and we'll be back to normal soon!
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 03-22-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Moves03 View Post
    I think it's clear there isn't much we could've done to stop the virus from getting here. HOWEVER, there is certainly, much, much more we could've done to mitigate and slow it's spread and prepare. We had reports of this becoming a thing the first few days of January. Trump disbanded the pandemic team that was already in place from the previous administration, which could've been working on this from the very beginning. We should've started developing tests back in January and the fed should've had many on reserve for states that needed more. Along those same lines, we should've started stocking up on medical supplies, which is now running short in places that are hotbeds right now. We could've implemented much more rigorous testing at airports back in January and throughout the entire country and had people working on treatment and a vaccine back then, along with procedures for how to quarantine those who tested positive.

The thing about coronaviruses is they usually die off once the weather gets warmer so we didn't so much as need to stop the virus from getting here, we just needed to delay and contain the spread for a few months and then let the warm weather finish it off, which could've likely been done with some basic common sense measures early on, rather than scrambling like we are doing now. It's not our governments fault the virus got here, it's 100% it's fault that we had to shut everything down and are now wholly unprepared and are scrambling to stay afloat.
    Well said brother. Trump was more concerned about his business dealings and was in denial.

"I set my DVR for the Biggest Loser, but it keeps recording Clippers games."

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    Well said brother. Trump was more concerned about his business dealings and was in denial.
    Yep, I think this really shows why we need someone who has basic competence in any form of public office. Hopefully we've learned our lesson as a country and don't make the same mistake twice. I still think we'll finish the season, but I think it will likely be later. I don't want us to go straight into the playoffs, if that happens it will be pretty sloppy and low-caliber play and no one wants that. It would be nice to give everyone a mini-spring training session (maybe like 1 week or so to get back in game shape; ideal would be 2 but we're already short on time. Then after that, play another 10-20 games and go into the playoffs. I'm concerned anything under that and the play will be very sloppy and guys will clearly be winded and out of shape.

Has there been any updates on any of the guys who tested positive for the caronavirus?
    Go all the way back to Mitchell and Rudy gobert. Are they still sick? Are they better? Has anyone gotten worse?

The lost boys

Yep, I think this really shows why we need someone who has basic competence in any form of public office. Hopefully we've learned our lesson as a country and don't make the same mistake twice. I still think we'll finish the season, but I think it will likely be later. I don't want us to go straight into the playoffs, if that happens it will be pretty sloppy and low-caliber play and no one wants that. It would be nice to give everyone a mini-spring training session (maybe like 1 week or so to get back in game shape; ideal would be 2 but we're already short on time. Then after that, play another 10-20 games and go into the playoffs. I'm concerned anything under that and the play will be very sloppy and guys will clearly be winded and out of shape.
    Agree, depends on how much time we got left when it resumes, but a good scenario would be at least 10 games of regular season before playoffs start.

Quote Originally Posted by McAllen Tx View Post
    Different forms of douche-ness. Even if I said LBJs a bigger douche doesn't mean he a worse douche. Not even close.
    Stop all the fancy word play. Bigger = Worse when it comes to intent. Nobody breaks down technicalities when talking about levels of doucheness.

I think it's clear there isn't much we could've done to stop the virus from getting here. HOWEVER, there is certainly, much, much more we could've done to mitigate and slow it's spread and prepare. We had reports of this becoming a thing the first few days of January. Trump disbanded the pandemic team that was already in place from the previous administration, which could've been working on this from the very beginning. We should've started developing tests back in January and the fed should've had many on reserve for states that needed more. Along those same lines, we should've started stocking up on medical supplies, which is now running short in places that are hotbeds right now. We could've implemented much more rigorous testing at airports back in January and throughout the entire country and had people working on treatment and a vaccine back then, along with procedures for how to quarantine those who tested positive.

The thing about coronaviruses is they usually die off once the weather gets warmer so we didn't so much as need to stop the virus from getting here, we just needed to delay and contain the spread for a few months and then let the warm weather finish it off, which could've likely been done with some basic common sense measures early on, rather than scrambling like we are doing now. It's not our governments fault the virus got here, it's 100% it's fault that we had to shut everything down and are now wholly unprepared and are scrambling to stay afloat.
    I disagree so much with this. How is it the government's fault for us being so unprepared when like you said this virus first became public in January? How about we take some responsibility for our actions, or lack of more like it. Just about everyone is walking around with a computer with internet in the form of a cell phone. Why couldn't we use our phones, laptops, tablets etc etc to look up some world news instead of social media websites. Why did we have to wait for the government to tell us to be aware of this virus.

If anyone is unprepared its their own fault, no excuses or no one else to blame.

Quote Originally Posted by IKnowHoops View Post
    Stop all the fancy word play. Bigger = Worse when it comes to intent. Nobody breaks down technicalities when talking about levels of doucheness.
    Why are you taking this so seriously? Honestly, why?

Yep. This is what happens when a businessman instead of a politician is appointed to the office. This was my major knock on Ross Perot back in the day.

You have an interesting point regarding a mini preseason again. I guess it all depends on how quickly this is under control. Today I had to shout at an elderly man that was walking into a crowded area with his walker. I asked him what the **** is he doing? He answered that he needed to do his morning walk. I asked him if he wanted to live and he said of course. Then I told him to get the **** back in his house. LOL, luckily I was wearing my Army Vet hat. He turned around and went back home. I felt like **** doing that but whatever.

I honestly don't care about the sloppy play. At this point we just want to see some ball and if it's sloppy I'll take it.

I disagree so much with this. How is it the government's fault for us being so unprepared when like you said this virus first became public in January? How about we take some responsibility for our actions, or lack of more like it. Just about everyone is walking around with a computer with internet in the form of a cell phone. Why couldn't we use our phones, laptops, tablets etc etc to look up some world news instead of social media websites. Why did we have to wait for the government to tell us to be aware of this virus.

If anyone is unprepared its their own fault, no excuses or no one else to blame.
    Many people look to the government to tell them what to do. Actually 50 million people or so voted for this leader because they felt that he would do a better job. Whether this is a good or bad thing is a debate for another day. If you lose your job, do you have 6 months of expenses covered? Many Americans don't, and that is their fault. Also it doesn't help many Americans that their leader whom they voted for told them that they did not need to worry about the virus and everything will be ok (I'm obviously paraphrasing). Very few people have accountability, including our leaders. Many people are dumb enough to think that the government is on their side and that Trump truly cares for them. Trust me, I have been around these people who think that way. They all think I'm a major Trump person due to my service record. I just stay quiet and listen. This is how naive the American people are. Historically in times of strife of this magnitude, the general public turns to their leaders for support, information, and resolve. To think this is solely on the people is just naive. I have been on both sides, so I am telling you this from that perspective.

I explained exactly how it was the governments fault. The public is not responsible nor do they have the means for funding research on treatment and vaccines or preparing testing or implementing procedures at airports and quarantine procedures. All of those things are the governments responsibilities. All of those things are things that our government failed to do. All of those things would've helped to slow down the spread of the virus. We barely started testing in any meaningful way this last week (about mid week to be precise). That's inexcusable. We've had 3.5 months to prepare for this and by we I dont mean the American people, I mean the government and we literally waited until hospitals were being overcrowded. We're now scrambling to get more medical supplies and get enough materials for testing and hospital equipment. These are things that should've been taken care of back in January. We had the time to do it but we didn't because our president disbanded the pandemic agency, which would oversee this sort of thing and then spent the past 3.5 months telling people how this was a hoax and didn't bother to put any contingency plans in place. Mind you, these are all procedures that have been empirically shown to slow the spread of these sorts of things and we failed at every single one. Another thing to keep in mind is that a lot of people had no idea (and we still really don't because we haven't been testing) until the last 10 days or so because we weren't testing anywhere and so there was a very small number of cases up until the last 2 weeks or so and so people didn't think the problem was here and this lack of information again, is entirely on the government because we weren't prepared to test and had no procedures in place to do so. If we had been doing mass testing early on, the public would've been much better informed and we might've acted a lot sooner in terms of shutting things down, before the virus was so widespread.
    Last edited by Big Moves03; 03-23-2020 at 01:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteShadow42 View Post
    Many people look to the government to tell them what to do. Actually 50 million people or so voted for this leader because they felt that he would do a better job. Whether this is a good or bad thing is a debate for another day. If you lose your job, do you have 6 months of expenses covered? Many Americans don't, and that is their fault. Also it doesn't help many Americans that their leader whom they voted for told them that they did not need to worry about the virus and everything will be ok (I'm obviously paraphrasing). Very few people have accountability, including our leaders. Many people are dumb enough to think that the government is on their side and that Trump truly cares for them. Trust me, I have been around these people who think that way. They all think I'm a major Trump person due to my service record. I just stay quiet and listen. This is how naive the American people are. Historically in times of strife of this magnitude, the general public turns to their leaders for support, information, and resolve. To think this is solely on the people is just naive. I have been on both sides, so I am telling you this from that perspective.
    Yep, pretty spot on!

**** the government!! Iím tired of seeing all these old *** mother ****ers arguing and fighting just so they can make a political statement. WE NEED TERM LIMITS!! **** Flabby neck Mitch, **** smelly **** Nancy, and **** all the rest!!

Quote Originally Posted by lakerfan85 View Post
    **** the government!! Iím tired of seeing all these old *** mother ****ers arguing and fighting just so they can make a political statement. WE NEED TERM LIMITS!! **** Flabby neck Mitch, **** smelly **** Nancy, and **** all the rest!!
    Damn you're attacking all sides democrates and Republicans on this. You're right we all need to get along or we're dead.

Quote Originally Posted by Iron24th View Post
    Agree, depends on how much time we got left when it resumes, but a good scenario would be at least 10 games of regular season before playoffs start.
    Yeah, at least 10 games would be good for sure

Page 21 of 44 FirstFirst ... 11192021222331 ... LastLast