Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 206 of 207 FirstFirst ... 106156196204205206207 LastLast
Results 3,076 to 3,090 of 3105
  1. #3076
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,427
    I was supposed to go to Munich back in May. 😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞☹️😞😞😞☹️☹️

  2. #3077
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,710
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    I was supposed to go to Munich back in May. 😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞😞☹️😞😞😞☹️☹️
    That sucks, man. But it'll still be there when international travel becomes a thing again (in like 2022).

    Pro tip: If you're looking for a day trip, you're going to see a million things online that tell you to go to Neuschwanstein Castleóthe castle that the "Beauty & the Beast" castle is based on. Don't. Do Salzburg instead. I haven't done the former, but I convinced my wife to do Salzburg instead when we went together after I did my own research, and she's now done both. And we absolutely loved it.

    It's this great mix of beautiful architecture, quaint shops, cool history and amazing views. We were only there for like 4-5 hours (it's like a 2-hour train ride from Munich), but we could have done 2 days there easily. There's a castle you can tour at the highest point in the city, and there's this amazing restaurant and brewery at the castle's base that serves some of the best beer and schnitzel I've ever head that overlooks this amazing view of the city.

    We've now done five European cities together, and my wife and I both agree that Salzburg was our single favorite experience from those trips. I'd go back in a heartbeat.


  3. #3078
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    A couple of things on this:

    1. It's simple math. You clearly didn't click on the link, and I don't think you've really thought this through at all. But if positivity rates are rising across the country, then testing has nothing to do with it because the number of new cases at that point is outpacing the number of tests being done. Guess what are rising around the country? Positivity rates. I can tell you that's what's happening in Houston and the entire state of Texas. There was a time when 10% was considered to be a scary number, but the rate has come close to hitting 25% in the last week.

    2. I'm a journalist, and ProPublica is a legit news source. Nothing is more frustrating to journalists than someone who assumes a source is illegitimate because of their own ignorant preconceived notions of whey believe to be an overly conservative or liberal news source. There are thousands of people across the country doing amazing work in journalism in trying to inform the public during the single largest news event in nearly 20 years, having to cover a devastating topic day in and day out, and every day they have to read ignorant comments on their stories from people like you who never clicked on the link because they personally disagreed with a headline or felt the news source was one-sided.

    People like you are killing journalism. And in 20 years if journalism is completely dead and we have corrupt politicians running a country of ignorant fools who have no clue what the people in charge are doing with their money, we'll look back and go "why the hell didn't people actually trust and fund good journalism in 2020?" You're part of the problem. Wake the **** up.


    It doesn't have zero correlation to more positive tests. That's just common sense. You literally can't have more positive tests without more actual tests, period. But less testing means you have tens of thousands of people who ACTUALLY have the virus running around the country spreading it further and further worsening the situation in crowded ERs and ICUs across the country.

    My point isn't that the increase in tests has zero correlation to the increase in positive tests. It's that the increase in tests has no correlation to the rate at which the tests are coming back positive. Saying "the only reason tests keep coming back positive is because we're testing at all" is like saying "the only reason the Timberwolves keep losing games is because they keep playing basketball games." It's nonsensical. You have to test. What's concerning is my point above, which is that tests are coming back positive at a far more alarming rate AND that we're now starting to see the spike in deaths, which we know lags behind the spike in positive cases.


    Yes, let's immediately rule out any country that's massive and poorer than us or any nation that's smaller than us because it refutes the point we're trying to make. That seems fair.


    It's funny you bring up Munich. I went there with my wife a couple of years ago, and you know what really jumped out to me? The lack of cars on the road and the emphasis on public transportation, which was clean, well-organized and shockingly easy. But it also means thousands of people have to cram on tight metro cars every morning to commute to and from work. You know what place has some of the worst public transportation on the planet? Houston. You basically can't live here if you don't have a car. Yet we're seeing one of the worst outbreaks in the country right now.

    You can't just look solely at population density, dude. That's not why other countries are performing better. It's because they have communicated and planned for their citizens better, shutting down when they needed to and implemented mandates that their citizens actually follow. In the U.S., we have states who immediately reopened the second they started seeing a decline in cases, and when those same states attempt to implement mask mandates, you have people on social media complaining about how they refuse to follow it because their rights are being taken away.

    It's a disaster. And if you can't see this, you're not paying attention.


    What "full picture?" You say this, but then don't explain it. Is testing important? Of course, but as I've already stated above, it's not the end-all, be-all solution for solving this crisis. Every developed nation should be testing right now, but if you're not implementing rules and regulations to prevent the spread of the disease and your people are unwilling to follow the rules and regulations that you do implement, you're just going to keep getting more and more positive tests.


    Cool. Thanks for that "perspective." I'll just be over here actually paying attention to the world around me, how awful things are, how poorly our nation and states are being managed, how willfully ignorant our citizens are and how overburdened our health care system is. But, yes, please continue to rant about how important population density is to the issue. Clearly that's the problem.

    Good news for you, though! If this keeps up, more and more people will keep dying, and we'll be less densely populated! Based on your logic, it sounds like that should help solve the problem! Hold on, I'm calling the White House right now to inform them you've got this whole thing under control.
    "You don't agree with me, so you better wake up!" There's a reason I limit my interaction with you lol

    I 100% did click the link and look through the article. But as a journalist, you should understand that a dot org is never going to be taken seriously when trying to provide the findings they found as fact. But hold one dot org article as gospel, you're free to do that. Just remember primary source versus secondary source

    Most everyone else will still look to scholarly, peer-reviewed articles and trade or professional articles.

    Anyway since I know you DIDN'T look up their board members, I'll just give you a quick little look.

    -Henry Louis Gates Jr. donated $4,600 to the Obama campaign, which you guessed it was the maximum allowed. Also has donated $1,000 to Hillary on two different occasions through the years. Never once has he donated to a Republican.

    -Alberto IbargŁen tweeted support for Hillary to be the Democratic Nomination, just 4 years ago.

    -Herbert Sandler and his wife donated over $8.5 million to the openly liberal CSA in 2004.

    -Let's not forget their top paid reporter Dafna Linzer ($205K annually) for knowingly being unethical and trying to strong arm people in favor of and in the best interest of the DNC.

    Paper trails don't lie, but hey buddy, you keep listening to that non-bias news article with your non-biased self

    Oh and on any of your pop-dense counter points, way to do a complete 180 after I did a deeper dive on the numbers YOU provided, but ya know bud, you're the journalist here

    And to your last little sensationalism jab, way to not even answer what the original post you responded to was about yet still assert "That's why other countries are performing better", great job buddy, here is a gold star for you!

  4. #3079
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,710
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    "You don't agree with me, so you better wake up!" There's a reason I limit my interaction with you lol

    I 100% did click the link and look through the article. But as a journalist, you should understand that a dot org is never going to be taken seriously when trying to provide the findings they found as fact. But hold one dot org article as gospel, you're free to do that. Just remember primary source versus secondary source

    Most everyone else will still look to scholarly, peer-reviewed articles and trade or professional articles.

    Anyway since I know you DIDN'T look up their board members, I'll just give you a quick little look.

    -Henry Louis Gates Jr. donated $4,600 to the Obama campaign, which you guessed it was the maximum allowed. Also has donated $1,000 to Hillary on two different occasions through the years. Never once has he donated to a Republican.

    -Alberto IbargŁen tweeted support for Hillary to be the Democratic Nomination, just 4 years ago.

    -Herbert Sandler and his wife donated over $8.5 million to the openly liberal CSA in 2004.

    -Let's not forget their top paid reporter Dafna Linzer ($205K annually) for knowingly being unethical and trying to strong arm people in favor of and in the best interest of the DNC.

    Paper trails don't lie, but hey buddy, you keep listening to that non-bias news article with your non-biased self
    Journalists read ProPublica, and they're one of the leaders in the industry. You want to look up their board members and overanalyze their own personal political biases? Go for it. I'm intelligent enough to know good, well-reported journalism when I see it, and ProPublica does phenomenal work. You don't want to read it because of some board members' histories? Fine. But you could probably do that with any major news organization on the planet. Everyone has skeletons in their closets, and no one who owns a media company is going to have a history that's 100% neutral on paper.

    Also, I would love to read all of your "scholarly, peered-reviewed articles" that explain how great a job the U.S. is doing right now in containing the pandemic and how population density and the increase in testing are the sole factors driving this pandemic. I really look forward to reading them.

    Oh and on any of your pop-dense counter points, way to do a complete 180 after I did a deeper dive on the numbers YOU provided, but ya know bud, you're the journalist here
    What 180? You said population density was this huge factor. I provided the hard numbers to show otherwise. You pointed specifically to cities instead of nations (which was kind of an asinine take), and I compared the very city you cited and compared it to my own as an example for why it lacks context. At no point did I flip my take.

    Also, I'd love to see you actually counter my points instead of just nitpicking and cherrypicking the overall post. You skipped over the bulk of my points here. But that's kind of the quality I've come to expect from you. Let me know when you want to actually put on the big boy pants and debate like an adult, not just throw out broad generalizations without any data to support your claims.

    And to your last little sensationalism jab, way to not even answer what the original post you responded to was about yet still assert "That's why other countries are performing better", great job buddy, here is a gold star for you!
    What question did you pose that I didn't answer? I'm at a loss here. Unlike you, I actually make an effort to respond to your points (as ill-conceived as they are).

    Edit: And I think that's probably my last post on this topic. I have to deal with enough COVID-19 deniers and coronavirus conversation all day at work. The last thing I need is to deal with deniers and close-minded neanderthals in my free time for fun. You do you, man. Suffice it to say that we're not going to agree, and I'm sorry you're so close-minded that you're unwilling to recognize legitimate news sources and perspectives that differ from your own.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 07-17-2020 at 11:38 AM.


  5. #3080
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    3,939
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Journalists read ProPublica, and they're one of the leaders in the industry. You want to look up their board members and overanalyze their own personal political biases? Go for it. I'm intelligent enough to know good, well-reported journalism when I see it, and ProPublica does phenomenal work. You don't want to read it because of some board members' histories? Fine. But you could probably do that with any major news organization on the planet. Everyone has skeletons in their closets, and no one who owns a media company is going to have a history that's 100% neutral on paper.

    Also, I would love to read all of your "scholarly, peered-reviewed articles" that explain how great a job the U.S. is doing right now in containing the pandemic and how population density and the increase in testing are the sole factors driving this pandemic. I really look forward to reading them.


    What 180? You said population density was this huge factor. I provided the hard numbers to show otherwise. You pointed specifically to cities instead of nations (which was kind of an asinine take), and I compared the very city you cited and compared it to my own as an example for why it lacks context. At no point did I flip my take.

    Also, I'd love to see you actually counter my points instead of just nitpicking and cherrypicking the overall post. You skipped over the bulk of my points here. But that's kind of the quality I've come to expect from you. Let me know when you want to actually put on the big boy pants and debate like an adult, not just throw out broad generalizations without any data to support your claims.


    What question did you pose that I didn't answer? I'm at a loss here. Unlike you, I actually make an effort to respond to your points (as ill-conceived as they are).

    Edit: And I think that's probably my last post on this topic. I have to deal with enough COVID-19 deniers and coronavirus conversation all day at work. The last thing I need is to deal with deniers and close-minded neanderthals in my free time for fun. You do you, man. Suffice it to say that we're not going to agree, and I'm sorry you're so close-minded that you're unwilling to recognize legitimate news sources and perspectives that differ from your own.
    If you don't think ProPublica leans left of center then that is hilarious and you're in fact not a journalist but a comedian. Every single article they release is biased to appeal to the left, if you or journalists you know/work with think they're neutral non-biased news source, it just speaks to your own political bias

    I never made that claim, strawman, so not sure why you would be waiting on that peer reviewed article.

    Wow, 2 strawman arguments in one post, even for you MBT, that's ridiculous. So, again, never made that claim either, so your opinionated counters aren't logical debate points.

    It should be your last post on it, you tried to debate me on topics then when I used the countries YOU hand picked and I showed that our hardest hit states actually are 4, 5 or sometimes 6 times as densely populated in the big cities as the examples you provided, you tried to change the narrative to your personal experiences followed by agreeing with me in part just to turn around and contradict yourself.

    I'm not close minded bub, I'm just not a left leaning liberal like you who only seeks left leaning media sources to support my own beliefs. That's just as ignorant as the right leaning conservatives only seeking media articles that support their views.

    Give me the left leaning, skewed liberal propaganda, then also give me the right leaning skewed conservative propaganda and I'll sift through both their bull crap and find the truth in the middle somewhere, that's what being a moderate centrist is about, I don't expect either side to understand, you're both so far rooted in your own delusional beliefs, neither side can be reasoned with.

  6. #3081
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,427
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    That sucks, man. But it'll still be there when international travel becomes a thing again (in like 2022).

    Pro tip: If you're looking for a day trip, you're going to see a million things online that tell you to go to Neuschwanstein Castleóthe castle that the "Beauty & the Beast" castle is based on. Don't. Do Salzburg instead. I haven't done the former, but I convinced my wife to do Salzburg instead when we went together after I did my own research, and she's now done both. And we absolutely loved it.

    It's this great mix of beautiful architecture, quaint shops, cool history and amazing views. We were only there for like 4-5 hours (it's like a 2-hour train ride from Munich), but we could have done 2 days there easily. There's a castle you can tour at the highest point in the city, and there's this amazing restaurant and brewery at the castle's base that serves some of the best beer and schnitzel I've ever head that overlooks this amazing view of the city.

    We've now done five European cities together, and my wife and I both agree that Salzburg was our single favorite experience from those trips. I'd go back in a heartbeat.
    That was a day trip that we looked into. Itís been on my radar for years but I thought that Iíd sneak it into my Budapest/Vienna/Prague itinerary. We just got back into traveling last year with two European trips and the one in May that was to cover Munich, possibly Salzburg, Baden-Baden, and a few days in Paris again. And it looks like NYC in September is definitely a no-go.

    Iím hoping for late 2021 but I donít have much faith in pinpointing any time right now.

  7. #3082
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Aside from the $1200, people who were laid off or furloughed due to this get whatever their unemployment salary is and an extra $600 per week. That extra bit might be axed soon, though.


    I went into a store a few times back in May/early June that did not require masks but I wore one anyway. No employee wore one including what looked like the owner. The week masks were required I had to go back in but totally forgot about my mask and opened the door. The owner looking guy rushed over and said I couldnít come in without a mask because it was now required and I immediately went back to the car and grabbed a fresh one thinking ďitís guys like this that didnít require one that led us to where we are now.Ē


    The USA is so ****ed.

    CA has had mask requirements in most of the busy counties since the second week in May. Most stores required it a few weeks before that. Most places in the bay area have been wearing them for 2-3 months We are still seeing a spike..... so I dont know if it was guys like that at fault. The problem is.... there is no real answers on why some places have higher cases.

    Colorado opened the same time as Florida and opened up everything like Florida did in May. Florida is seeing spikes even after most started wearing masks. Colorado is not wearing masks for the most part and they seem to have it under control.

  8. #3083
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Nobody is going to get permission to protest and sometimes protesting an immediate measure of injustice that has taken a huge problem to the next level is so important that the action can just no longer wait. This has been mentioned numerous times and is not a hard concept to understand (well, except for the totally inept it seems).


    I donít think that any governors or mayors or experts are happy with the way the protests have gone down in the sense of social distancing but they donít have much choice in what they can limit. Weíve seen Trump release the hounds on peaceful protesters for a photo op where we found out that he holds a bible like Hitler and that was essentially a war crime*.


    *The clearance method of the protesters, not his dopey ďmarchĒ or how he holds something heís only held four times in his life.
    WTF are you talking about? Ted Wheeler (Portland Mayor) is out there with the protesters, and not all of them had masks on and he was standing next to them all day. He was not on board with the people protesting for their jobs back though!

  9. #3084
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47,597
    More evidence of Florida cooking the books. Not sure if the MSM has reported on it yet tho. Facci not wearing a mask making rounds but is that really a big deal?

  10. #3085
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    parts unknown
    Posts
    49,729
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    More evidence of Florida cooking the books. Not sure if the MSM has reported on it yet tho. Facci not wearing a mask making rounds but is that really a big deal?
    I heard Facci is one of those lizard people


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Rep Power: 0




    Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

  11. #3086
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,427
    Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    WTF are you talking about? Ted Wheeler (Portland Mayor) is out there with the protesters, and not all of them had masks on and he was standing next to them all day. He was not on board with the people protesting for their jobs back though!
    Should have said many, not any. Was curious as to your whereabouts. Thought someone close to you might have gotten sick and you learned that itís not as easy as you had assumed. Kinda like most of the other, ummmm, skeptics around here.

  12. #3087
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    21,370
    Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Should have said many, not any. Was curious as to your whereabouts. Thought someone close to you might have gotten sick and you learned that itís not as easy as you had assumed. Kinda like most of the other, ummmm, skeptics around here.
    Nope- still have all the same concerns about being locked down indefinitely. And I have a few people close to me who are at risk (but havent caught it).

    The mandated masks might be a concern moving forward though. What if we get a vaccine for covid and develop treatment in the next 8 months..... but it becomes clear that wearing masks reduces the number of deaths to covid, the flu and other similar illnesses? Then will we cancel all ativities that require taking the mask of forever? No highschool sports, No college sports, LOL- people never go on dates without a mask on? Nobody can identify anybody in a police line up because everyone looks the same in a mask?

    Or will we have to form bubbles everywhere??? to do anything???

    The solution and its lasting effects are worse than just going for herd immunity from the start and trying to protect the most vulnerable.

  13. #3088
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47,597
    On top of inflated numbers, check out suicide rates. MSM ain't covering it so might have to do some digging.

  14. #3089
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    47,597
    You guys keeping up with the trump drug? Could've saved a lot of lives if not for fear mongering tactics. More n more docs coming out

  15. #3090
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    27,591
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    You guys keeping up with the trump drug? Could've saved a lot of lives if not for fear mongering tactics. More n more docs coming out
    No

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •