Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 205 of 207 FirstFirst ... 105155195203204205206207 LastLast
Results 3,061 to 3,075 of 3100
  1. #3061
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    LA
    Posts
    46,725
    thus far several friends and fambam have gotten it. some didn't flinch, my friend lost 2 cousins who lived together but were seriously obese. I should be more careful with my words but heres my worry. in my experience those who are getting it are rarely leaving their house, wiping everything down, wearing masks non stop and getting very little sun. could they be suppressing their immune response living in total isolation and having no contact with any kind of microbe? the healthy folks I know arent hiding in the same way. hell, loads of homeless folk I know dont practice ****, they sleep on dirt or concrete, are the homeless dropping like flies?

    why dont we have special bins for masks?

    we're testing like crazy now but does the Stanford study still hold up today. is it possible that some people are super resistant to this? some dumb **** came to work after being in direct, prolonged contact with a rona guy.

    at least there's no super spreader but are the tests still so inaccurate. some guy tested positive then negative days apart. should we get like 10 tests to know for sure?
    Last edited by Chronz; 07-15-2020 at 04:57 PM.

  2. #3062
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,864
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    thus far several friends and fambam have gotten it. some didn't flinch, my friend lost 2 cousins who lived together but were seriously obese. I should be more careful with my words but heres my worry. in my experience those who are getting it are rarely leaving their house, wiping everything down, wearing masks non stop and getting very little sun. could they be suppressing their immune response living in total isolation and having no contact with any kind of microbe? the healthy folks I know arent hiding in the same way. hell, loads of homeless folk I know dont practice ****, they sleep on dirt or concrete, are the homeless dropping like flies?

    why dont we have special bins for masks?

    we're testing like crazy now but does the Stanford study still hold up today. is it possible that some people are super resistant to this? some dumb **** came to work after being in direct, prolonged contact with a rona guy.

    at least there's no super spreader but are the tests still so inaccurate. some guy tested positive then negative days apart. should we get like 10 tests to know for sure?
    At my work we do. The city comes in and inspects the place at random now too. Gloves, masks and gowns (PPE) need to be disposed in a separate bin.

    As for tests, take your temperature daily. If you have a fever go get a test. If you don't feel you need to get a test then just wear a mask when you go out to keep your germs from spreading.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  3. #3063
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,348
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    Sounds like you saw the signs coming
    I wish the federal government was half as good at fighting viral outbreaks as the Astros are at stealing signs. We'd have beaten this thing by opening day and all be watching the Astros dominate the AL right about now.

  4. #3064
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,619
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    thus far several friends and fambam have gotten it. some didn't flinch, my friend lost 2 cousins who lived together but were seriously obese. I should be more careful with my words but heres my worry. in my experience those who are getting it are rarely leaving their house, wiping everything down, wearing masks non stop and getting very little sun. could they be suppressing their immune response living in total isolation and having no contact with any kind of microbe? the healthy folks I know arent hiding in the same way. hell, loads of homeless folk I know dont practice ****, they sleep on dirt or concrete, are the homeless dropping like flies?

    why dont we have special bins for masks?

    we're testing like crazy now but does the Stanford study still hold up today. is it possible that some people are super resistant to this? some dumb **** came to work after being in direct, prolonged contact with a rona guy.

    at least there's no super spreader but are the tests still so inaccurate. some guy tested positive then negative days apart. should we get like 10 tests to know for sure?
    The people not leaving their house- unless necessary - and wiping everything down are more likely to be high risk individuals.

    This virus is highly contagious so it isn't impossible to get it even after taking precautions.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  5. #3065
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,864
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    I wish the federal government was half as good at fighting viral outbreaks as the Astros are at stealing signs. We'd have beaten this thing by opening day and all be watching the Astros dominate the AL right about now.
    The country would be "buzzing" with joy!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChongInc. View Post
    Facts can be hypothetical.

  6. #3066
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,348
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    The country would be "buzzing" with joy!
    Yeah, I'm really hoping all this extra time has given the Astros a few more months to perfect their next technological advancement in cheating. I'm thinking something having to do with nanotechnology and telepathy.

  7. #3067
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,864
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Yeah, I'm really hoping all this extra time has given the Astros a few more months to perfect their next technological advancement in cheating. I'm thinking something having to do with nanotechnology and telepathy.
    I guess you could say the Astros cheat so much they could make a correa out of it?

  8. #3068
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Chronz View Post
    were u alive during obummer?
    You know what I like about you chronz, you speak like someone who utterly does not care what most people think. If I was completely cut off from the internet for a year I'd absolutely believe the garbage you say was true.

    I'm 99% sure if Obama was an option against Trump in this election he would win in perhaps the largest landslide in election history and yet if I went by your comments in this thread I would think it was the other way around.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  9. #3069
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,348
    Quote Originally Posted by R. Johnson#3 View Post
    I guess you could say the Astros cheat so much they could make a correa out of it?
    Nah, you lost it. We had a good thing going, but you ruined it.

  10. #3070
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,348
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    You know what I like about you chronz, you speak like someone who utterly does not care what most people think. If I was completely cut off from the internet for a year I'd absolutely believe the garbage you say was true.

    I'm 99% sure if Obama was an option against Trump in this election he would win in perhaps the largest landslide in election history and yet if I went by your comments in this thread I would think it was the other way around.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Chronz: Fantastic at basketball conversation; complete crazy person when discussing literally anything else.

  11. #3071
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Rogers Centre
    Posts
    21,864
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Nah, you lost it. We had a good thing going, but you ruined it.
    Please give me another chance. Don’t make me breg, man.

  12. #3072
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by zookman65 View Post
    There is somewhat of a selection bias at play. In countries where there is very little community spread there is not a lot of reason for testing. In the US where community spread has become rampant upon the stupid re-opening of bars and such across the southern US more people are seeking tests because of symptoms and/or association with other sick or confirmed positive people. We are testing more because more people are getting sick. If it was simply a matter of increased testing the positive rate would be low but instead it has reached above 25 percent in many areas of the country whereas in the early days of the lock down the positive rate was single digits. Dont sound like Trump now in your analysis.
    Ehhhh, c'mon bro.

    You think there is zero correlation between more testing, resulting in there being more positive tests? Highly disagree with that logic. The early days the tests were single digits because it was dang near impossible to get a test, then once you could, it took forever to process it. If tests were readily available and results were quick back in January, February and March, heck probably even further back than that, you would see the exact same upward trends, not really that difficult of a concept to follow.

    So, no, I don't buy your argument. Nor did the post do anything to address how "Other countries with higher pop densities are doing better than the US" because you will be HARD pressed to prove that, with stats or facts, hence why everyone pushing that argument dipped out rather quickly.

    You all really gotta recall I entered this conversation after not touching this thread for months, simply to add perspective on people recklessly throwing numbers around to boost their collective egos and fit a narrative. Don't shoot the dang messenger for being able to go use a search engine and locate numbers

  13. #3073
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,348
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Ehhhh, c'mon bro.

    You think there is zero correlation between more testing, resulting in there being more positive tests? Highly disagree with that logic. The early days the tests were single digits because it was dang near impossible to get a test, then once you could, it took forever to process it. If tests were readily available and results were quick back in January, February and March, heck probably even further back than that, you would see the exact same upward trends, not really that difficult of a concept to follow.

    So, no, I don't buy your argument.
    The whole "more testing is the reason for more cases" thing has been totally and completely debunked already. In places that have gotten exponentially worse, new cases are rising at a far greater rate than new tests: https://www.propublica.org/article/s...testing-claims

    I literally look at coronavirus data and stories every day as part of my job—trust me when I say that take has zero merit behind it.

    Nor did the post do anything to address how "Other countries with higher pop densities are doing better than the US" because you will be HARD pressed to prove that, with stats or facts, hence why everyone pushing that argument dipped out rather quickly.

    You all really gotta recall I entered this conversation after not touching this thread for months, simply to add perspective on people recklessly throwing numbers around to boost their collective egos and fit a narrative. Don't shoot the dang messenger for being able to go use a search engine and locate numbers
    Germany, Japan, South Korea and Mexico are more densely populated than the U.S. By the latest COVID-19 counts:

    Cases per 1 million:
    U.S.: 11,109
    Germany: 2,409
    Japan: 178
    South Korea: 265
    Mexico: 2,463

    Deaths per 1 million:
    U.S.: 426
    Germany: 109
    Japan: 8
    South Korea: 6
    Mexico: 286

    And that doesn't take massively populated countries like India or China into the equation (though I don't really trust China's data), both countries with far better per capita case and death numbers right now. Or countries that might have slightly higher per capita death figures, but much lower overall deaths and per capita case numbers, like the UK, Spain, Italy and France.

    So, no, population density is not the only factor in play here. Nor can the U.S. fall back on population density as the sole reason for its failures to contain the virus when more densely populated nations have handled the pandemic dramatically better.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 07-16-2020 at 06:18 PM.


  14. #3074
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,520
    Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    The whole "more testing is the reason for more cases" thing has been totally and completely debunked already. In places that have gotten exponentially worse, new cases are rising at a far greater rate than new tests: https://www.propublica.org/article/s...testing-claims

    I literally look at coronavirus data and stories every day as part of my job—trust me when I say that take has zero merit behind it.


    Germany, Japan, South Korea and Mexico are more densely populated than the U.S. By the latest COVID-19 counts:

    Cases per 1 million:
    U.S.: 11,109
    Germany: 2,409
    Japan: 178
    South Korea: 265
    Mexico: 2,463

    Deaths per 1 million:
    U.S.: 426
    Germany: 109
    Japan: 8
    South Korea: 6
    Mexico: 286

    And that doesn't take massively populated countries like India or China into the equation (though I don't really trust China's data), both countries with far better per capita case and death numbers right now. Or countries that might have slightly higher per capita death figures, but much lower overall deaths and per capita case numbers, like the UK, Spain, Italy and France.

    So, no, population density is not the only factor in play here. Nor can the U.S. fall back on population density as the sole reason for its failures to contain the virus when more densely populated nations have handled the pandemic dramatically better.
    I'm sorry but if dot org is your source, that is not a very valid source, imo. I appreciate you providing one at all but that's not going to be accepted by most scholars. The specific source you cited is widely known to be funded by Democrats, just peep their board members . I'm moderate, so it doesn't bother me but you may want to vary your sources, if you want a fuller view of things but to each his own man.

    If you can't test people cases will obviously be lower, it's not that hard of a concept to follow. Could you easily get a test in March? Nope, sure couldn't they were turning people away. Saying just quarantine because we don't have the means to test currently. Once you could test, then what? It was you had to wait an absurd amount of time to get the results. But idc, I'm not here to debate that, if you feel testing more has zero correlation to more positives being able to be registered, then hey man, you can live in that world.

    I'm so happy someone finally touched on population density! There was really no need to mention India, they have 1.3 billion people and have only tested 12 million, what a joke. Oh yes, mention countries like the UK, Italy, Spain and France who have like 60 million people, when the USA has more people within just the 3 states of Cali, NY and Florida compared to any single one of those countries

    The link for population density is cool, I guess but it only touches on the nations as a whole, which is horrible in this instance for comparison sake. In regards to a virus requiring social distancing. Look at Germany's most densely populated city of Munich, their 3,948/km2 population density would rank as the like 127th most densely populated city in the USA. Or even look at Mexico, Mexico City as the most densely populated with 5,920/km2 would be the like 43rd most densely populated city in the USA. Seoul in South Korea with 16,000/km2 would rank 5th among cities in the US but their next most densely populated city after that, Busan is way down the list in between Munich and Mexico City somewhere with 4,400/km2. With Japan, it's Tokyo and they're at 6,158/km2 that would roughly be like 30th in the USA.

    Then you look at those same 4 countries and they have hardly tested anyone, not a great comparison but you gotta look at the full picture, which I understand most don't or aren't willing to.

    I never said population density is everything, I just said it needs to be taken into consideration when people are trying to walk around and boast about how much better they are than other countries. It's like yeah if our biggest cities population density was only 5,493 people per square kilometer it may be a bit easier to control spread but shoot, I'm just a guy adding perspective

  15. #3075
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,348
    Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    I'm sorry but if dot org is your source, that is not a very valid source, imo. I appreciate you providing one at all but that's not going to be accepted by most scholars. The specific source you cited is widely known to be funded by Democrats, just peep their board members . I'm moderate, so it doesn't bother me but you may want to vary your sources, if you want a fuller view of things but to each his own man.
    A couple of things on this:

    1. It's simple math. You clearly didn't click on the link, and I don't think you've really thought this through at all. But if positivity rates are rising across the country, then testing has nothing to do with it because the number of new cases at that point is outpacing the number of tests being done. Guess what are rising around the country? Positivity rates. I can tell you that's what's happening in Houston and the entire state of Texas. There was a time when 10% was considered to be a scary number, but the rate has come close to hitting 25% in the last week.

    2. I'm a journalist, and ProPublica is a legit news source. Nothing is more frustrating to journalists than someone who assumes a source is illegitimate because of their own ignorant preconceived notions of whey believe to be an overly conservative or liberal news source. There are thousands of people across the country doing amazing work in journalism in trying to inform the public during the single largest news event in nearly 20 years, having to cover a devastating topic day in and day out, and every day they have to read ignorant comments on their stories from people like you who never clicked on the link because they personally disagreed with a headline or felt the news source was one-sided.

    People like you are killing journalism. And in 20 years if journalism is completely dead and we have corrupt politicians running a country of ignorant fools who have no clue what the people in charge are doing with their money, we'll look back and go "why the hell didn't people actually trust and fund good journalism in 2020?" You're part of the problem. Wake the **** up.

    If you can't test people cases will obviously be lower, it's not that hard of a concept to follow. Could you easily get a test in March? Nope, sure couldn't they were turning people away. Saying just quarantine because we don't have the means to test currently. Once you could test, then what? It was you had to wait an absurd amount of time to get the results. But idc, I'm not here to debate that, if you feel testing more has zero correlation to more positives being able to be registered, then hey man, you can live in that world.
    It doesn't have zero correlation to more positive tests. That's just common sense. You literally can't have more positive tests without more actual tests, period. But less testing means you have tens of thousands of people who ACTUALLY have the virus running around the country spreading it further and further worsening the situation in crowded ERs and ICUs across the country.

    My point isn't that the increase in tests has zero correlation to the increase in positive tests. It's that the increase in tests has no correlation to the rate at which the tests are coming back positive. Saying "the only reason tests keep coming back positive is because we're testing at all" is like saying "the only reason the Timberwolves keep losing games is because they keep playing basketball games." It's nonsensical. You have to test. What's concerning is my point above, which is that tests are coming back positive at a far more alarming rate AND that we're now starting to see the spike in deaths, which we know lags behind the spike in positive cases.

    I'm so happy someone finally touched on population density! There was really no need to mention India, they have 1.3 billion people and have only tested 12 million, what a joke. Oh yes, mention countries like the UK, Italy, Spain and France who have like 60 million people, when the USA has more people within just the 3 states of Cali, NY and Florida compared to any single one of those countries
    Yes, let's immediately rule out any country that's massive and poorer than us or any nation that's smaller than us because it refutes the point we're trying to make. That seems fair.

    The link for population density is cool, I guess but it only touches on the nations as a whole, which is horrible in this instance for comparison sake. In regards to a virus requiring social distancing. Look at Germany's most densely populated city of Munich, their 3,948/km2 population density would rank as the like 127th most densely populated city in the USA. Or even look at Mexico, Mexico City as the most densely populated with 5,920/km2 would be the like 43rd most densely populated city in the USA. Seoul in South Korea with 16,000/km2 would rank 5th among cities in the US but their next most densely populated city after that, Busan is way down the list in between Munich and Mexico City somewhere with 4,400/km2. With Japan, it's Tokyo and they're at 6,158/km2 that would roughly be like 30th in the USA.
    It's funny you bring up Munich. I went there with my wife a couple of years ago, and you know what really jumped out to me? The lack of cars on the road and the emphasis on public transportation, which was clean, well-organized and shockingly easy. But it also means thousands of people have to cram on tight metro cars every morning to commute to and from work. You know what place has some of the worst public transportation on the planet? Houston. You basically can't live here if you don't have a car. Yet we're seeing one of the worst outbreaks in the country right now.

    You can't just look solely at population density, dude. That's not why other countries are performing better. It's because they have communicated and planned for their citizens better, shutting down when they needed to and implemented mandates that their citizens actually follow. In the U.S., we have states who immediately reopened the second they started seeing a decline in cases, and when those same states attempt to implement mask mandates, you have people on social media complaining about how they refuse to follow it because their rights are being taken away.

    It's a disaster. And if you can't see this, you're not paying attention.

    Then you look at those same 4 countries and they have hardly tested anyone, not a great comparison but you gotta look at the full picture, which I understand most don't or aren't willing to.
    What "full picture?" You say this, but then don't explain it. Is testing important? Of course, but as I've already stated above, it's not the end-all, be-all solution for solving this crisis. Every developed nation should be testing right now, but if you're not implementing rules and regulations to prevent the spread of the disease and your people are unwilling to follow the rules and regulations that you do implement, you're just going to keep getting more and more positive tests.

    I never said population density is everything, I just said it needs to be taken into consideration when people are trying to walk around and boast about how much better they are than other countries. It's like yeah if our biggest cities population density was only 5,493 people per square kilometer it may be a bit easier to control spread but shoot, I'm just a guy adding perspective
    Cool. Thanks for that "perspective." I'll just be over here actually paying attention to the world around me, how awful things are, how poorly our nation and states are being managed, how willfully ignorant our citizens are and how overburdened our health care system is. But, yes, please continue to rant about how important population density is to the issue. Clearly that's the problem.

    Good news for you, though! If this keeps up, more and more people will keep dying, and we'll be less densely populated! Based on your logic, it sounds like that should help solve the problem! Hold on, I'm calling the White House right now to inform them you've got this whole thing under control.
    Last edited by mightybosstone; 07-17-2020 at 07:30 AM.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •