Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 165 of 203 FirstFirst ... 65115155163164165166167175 ... LastLast
Results 2,461 to 2,475 of 3044
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    There's an easy way to tell the difference. When was the last time you admitted you were wrong about something? Everyone is wrong about something sooner or later. Critical thinkers recognize their error and say they were wrong, stubborn people try to change the subject to keep arguing or go sulk in a corner. Which are you?
    Ooh ooh, I know, I know!

For the few in here who continue to ask why we can't go back to normal and just ask people to be smart and keep social distancing and show restraint.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-new...-despite-rules

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by Jamiecballer View Post
    This makes sense. It never seemed consistent with Cuomo's character. I applaud him for not lashing out earlier - he is definitely a bigger man than I.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/polit...nts/index.html

yeah so....its not exactly what the problem was. Although- I suppose you can fiddle with the wording.

"I just want to reiterate once again that the policy that the Department of Health put out was in line directly with the March 13 directive put out by (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) and (Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services) that read, and I quote, 'Nursing homes should admit any individuals from hospitals where Covid is present,'" said Secretary to the Governor Melissa DeRosa on Saturday during a briefing. "Not could, should ... that is President (Donald) Trump's CMS and CDC."

OK so admitting people who have been to hospitals where corona was presant, and admitting people who have
    JUST tested positive to Covid 19 are not exactly the same thing.

The trump admin brought NY the USNS comfort military medical boat that was able to care for over 1000 corona patients and Trump ordered make shift hospitals to be set up all over NY. Cuomo turned these away within a few weeks right int he middle of their outbreak in early to mid April.

Also worth noting thanRon DeSantis of Florida has been doing the exact opposite of Cuomo. He has ordered that nursing home patients who test positive be immediately transfered out of the nursing home. Now you wouldnt expect the hard democrat like cuomo to blindly follow the presidents orders and the republican in this matter.

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/coronav...eve-story.html

Both FL and NY have roughly the same population of around 20 million people. Ny is currently sitting with over 29000 deaths and FL is sitting with 2233. Also worth noting that florida opened up over 3 weeks ago. People are going to the gym, going to the beach, and even going to clubs and bars now.

For the few in here who continue to ask why we can't go back to normal and just ask people to be smart and keep social distancing and show restraint.

You do realize that is whats going to have to happen.... sitting and doing nothing while having the government support everyone until the end of time needs to stop being considered a sensible solution. People are going to have to learn to manage the risk and still live their lives.

Even if/when a vaccine comes out- it wont be 100% effective on every single person. It should help a lot- but there will still be some risk. And who knows if everyone will take it every year. I read that only like 20-30% of people consistently get a flu shot in the US...... yet people arent running around in masks or staying 6 feet from everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    You do realize that is whats going to have to happen.... sitting and doing nothing while having the government support everyone until the end of time needs to stop being considered a sensible solution. People are going to have to learn to manage the risk and still live their lives.

Even if/when a vaccine comes out- it wont be 100% effective on every single person. It should help a lot- but there will still be some risk. And who knows if everyone will take it every year. I read that only like 20-30% of people consistently get a flu shot in the US...... yet people arent running around in masks or staying 6 feet from everyone.
    You are just shifting goalposts. It was you, not just you there were a few others, who literally made the case for reopening because people can and will be responsible but this - among other instances - is clear evidence that if we put our trust in everybody to do the right thing for not just themselves but others -- we are ****ed.

So if you want to know why it is too early, it's because everything you naively believe will happen as soon as people are given the opportunity - is clearly not what will happen. You want to know why our freedoms are tightly restricted or discouraged atm it's because if you give people an inch a bunch of *******s will take a mile.

Nobody is suggesting this will go on forever, or that people dont understand some way of life will have to emerge that tolerates more risk than we are used to, that is a red herring you continue to throw out there.

The point is just that as soon as they loosened things a tiny bit this week people just did whatever the **** they want.

It saddens me that this type of **** is exactly why my brother-in-law, who has an 86 year old mother with dementia, hasn't been able to see her in 2 months and is carrying the weight of knowing that he may never get to see her again while she is alive.

Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

just seems like its more acceptable in the media to go out and call dooms day. Its just better for headlines to predict the black swan outcome. For examples- 4-5 weeks ago when Georgia and Florida were opening up- most of mainstream media was saying they are going to have numbers worse than NY ever saw in 2-3 weeks. That hasnt happened. GA is holding steady in their percentage of positive cases, and Florida is steadily going down.

I guess the downside to being wrong if you go out and say "the most likely scenerio is that we will have a slight increase in positives, but we feel we are very prepared to manage outbreaks efficiently before they get out of hand." is far worse than being wrong if you say "its going to be a complete disaster, Florida is going to lose half of its population before the end of the summer"
    Florida is likely lying about their cases. I posted the story about the scientist who was removed from her job for refusing to alter the numbers. For someone so distrustful of the government, you sure do fall in line as soon as they say what you want to hear.
    I do believe they have plenty of available capacity in their hospitals. (So does Michigan, and CA btw) The point of the lockdown was to avoid over running the hospital- not to eliminate 100% of risk for every single person. If states are worried about the hospitals not being able to handle the load- then the bulk of the talk should be about building more capacity for hospitals to take on more cases when we re open. Instead the hardest his places are turning capacity away.

I really hope that when we get on the other side of this, we are able to hammer out some clearly written federal laws that protect businesses from the government manipulating this situation to put them in tough spots. It isnt right for the government to tell them 15 days, then 30 days, then another 30 days, then we have no clue when your going to open. I just think there should be laws protecting businesses who are paying their licensing, running an honest business, not selling illegal substances. I also dont think the solution should be to just throw money with strings attached at businesses for an infinite amount of time.
    This isn't admitting you were wrong. This is changing the subject to continue arguing.

[QUOTE=Jamiecballer;33489153]Y
    ou are just shifting goalposts. It was you, not just you there were a few others, who literally made the case for reopening because people can and will be responsible but this - among other instances - is clear evidence that if we put our trust in everybody to do the right thing for not just themselves but others -- we are ****ed.
    if your requirement is that every single person be absolutely perfect every single second- then yes... we are screwed!!! If the majority of people will make an honest effort to be safe most of the time, I think we are seeing that already. Ideally, you would obviously want everyone to do everything perfect- but that has never been reality. There will be people who commit fraud next year, there will be people who steal cars, there will be people who assault others, there will be people who drive drunk, there will be people who commit homicides. But still we dont lock everyone up for this.

The goal of the shut down was to prevent hospitals from being over run. In most big cities, hospitals are more underwhelmed now then they have been in decades. As long as we can handle new cases, and have a plan to protect the most vulnerable- keeping the entire population shut down is not making as much sense. There are people out there who are thinking- if opening up creates a single additional death.... then it isnt worth it. Obviously a death is a bad thing- but IMO if people think like that- they are the ones not being flexible or open minded.

So if you want to know why it is too early, it's because everything you naively believe will happen as soon as people are given the opportunity - is clearly not what will happen. You want to know why our freedoms are tightly restricted or discouraged atm it's because if you give people an inch a bunch of *******s will take a mile.
    Again- I think the majority of people would make an honest effort to be careful. (Thats based on the people I see in grocery stores, and out on walks the last month or so) There would definitely be some idiots out there (A lot of those idiots are probably out doing **** during the lockdown anyways).... but that small percentage of people shouldn't dictate our entire lives. We have already opened in states- and it isnt a horrible out of control situation in those states.

Nobody is suggesting this will go on forever, or that people dont understand some way of life will have to emerge that tolerates more risk than we are used to, that is a red herring you continue to throw out there.
    Nobody is using the word forever. But when they suggest we have to stay locked down as long as it takes to get a vaccine (that may never come out). Then forever is on the table unless we make a change to that line of thinking. Also if we get a vaccine and it is only 50-60% effective- will we still stay locked down. (Thats more effective than the flu vaccine most years btw)

Also- when no end date is decided- then indefinite is the accurate word.... and for businesses trying to plan to survive this- that might as well be forever. It puts a lot of small businesses in a very unfair situation.

It saddens me that this type of **** is exactly why my brother-in-law, who has an 86 year old mother with dementia, hasn't been able to see her in 2 months and is carrying the weight of knowing that he may never get to see her again while she is alive.

I am not seeing my parents during this time either... other than through zoom a few times. I want my dad to stay locked in as much as possible until a vaccine is available. It sucks- but it doesnt justify the damage that is happening in so many other in peoples lives as a result of the lockdown.

I'm sure people are just sick of the restrictions. It'll eventually get to a point where the majority say **** it.

Last I read about a third of our deaths are in nursing homes.

That means that the virus is probably much less deadly for the population of people who aren't in nursing homes. Nursing homes might have 1/3 of the deaths but I doubt they have 1/3 of the total cases. Just the math of that will drive the death rate down.

Problem is there's no real good way to isolate the elderly people who aren't in nursing homes. And people in nursing homes needs people to take care of them.

NE Patriots Forum HOF (Class of 2011)

Florida is likely lying about their cases. I posted the story about the scientist who was removed from her job for refusing to alter the numbers. For someone so distrustful of the government, you sure do fall in line as soon as they say what you want to hear.
    https://www.ajc.com/news/state--regi...9XEF8vO11NVGO/

GA had to apologize for misrepresenting there #s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Raps08-09 Champ View Post
    My dick is named 'Ewing'.

This makes sense. It never seemed consistent with Cuomo's character. I applaud him for not lashing out earlier - he is definitely a bigger man than I.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/23/polit...nts/index.html

I never suspected he was going against guidelines. That doesn’t absolve him from criticizism imo though

Quote Originally Posted by hugepatsfan View Post
    Last I read about a third of our deaths are in nursing homes.

That means that the virus is probably much less deadly for the population of people who aren't in nursing homes. Nursing homes might have 1/3 of the deaths but I doubt they have 1/3 of the total cases. Just the math of that will drive the death rate down.

Problem is there's no real good way to isolate the elderly people who aren't in nursing homes. And people in nursing homes needs people to take care of them.
    well I think the deal is, many deaths are in or related to people placed in close quarters...hard for it NOT to spread in a nursing home, and all residents are by definition high risk.........but the spread in places like meat packing plants is similar, it's just the death rate that's lower as fewer are high risk

but careful thinking there aren't long term ramifications beyond death.....there was a guy on a news channel a few days ago, in his 40s, looked ripped and quite healthy in his before picture.....lost 50 lbs and has to fight his way back from that. Losing weight quickly and/or down to anorexic levels will have a potentially negative long term effect on vital organs, etc....so there are gray areas for so-called low risk people to have concern about
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post
    well I think the deal is, many deaths are in or related to people placed in close quarters...hard for it NOT to spread in a nursing home, and all residents are by definition high risk.........but the spread in places like meat packing plants is similar, it's just the death rate that's lower as fewer are high risk

but careful thinking there aren't long term ramifications beyond death.....there was a guy on a news channel a few days ago, in his 40s, looked ripped and quite healthy in his before picture.....lost 50 lbs and has to fight his way back from that. Losing weight quickly and/or down to anorexic levels will have a potentially negative long term effect on vital organs, etc....so there are gray areas for so-called low risk people to have concern about
    The difference with meat packing plants is that if they detect an outbreak, they close and everybody goes home which stops the spread. You can't close a nursing home.

Coronavirus; NBA season suspended

Quote Originally Posted by SiteWolf View Post

Yes. I was very worried for one of my friends when she had it. She’s 42 and not overweight or in bad health but she had a brain tumor before so she hasn’t had great health. I guess she would be considered low risk but her fever went up to 103 and apparently she was sick as ****

The difference with meat packing plants is that if they detect an outbreak, they close and everybody goes home which stops the spread. You can't close a nursing home.
    you could close off common areas, not allow guests in, keep residents in their rooms as much as possible, and test all employees regularly?

Test all residents, and when you find the infected- get them to the hospital.