Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 16 of 207 FirstFirst ... 614151617182666116 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    Charles Barkley self quarantining himself as he awaits results of a test.
    Imagine that. Now that HE is potentially infected all of the sudden everyone needs to take this seriously. They're going to have to rename COVID-19 the Karma Virus.
    Last edited by IndyRealist; 03-12-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Those dirty, kale-eating liberals got to Gobert too:

This is it, folks. This is how freedom dies.
    A long time ago a republican once said the right to swing ones fist ends where the next mans nose begins. (Iím paraphrasing here). That statement very much so applies to Rudy.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    If you read everything I quoted, you'd see that I used your buddy's emotional plea and applied it to something that kills exponentially more people than the Corona virus. He was telling someone how it would be good to shut things down even if it saves one life. Well, outlawing cars globally would save even more... does that automatically mean we should give up auto-transportation and if we refuse, are we sociopaths? As I said, facts are one thing...

Fact: Corona virus can be spread from person-to-person. Conclusion: It's a good idea to suspend NBA games.

Emotional plea: Isn't it worth it shutting things we like down if it means we get to save even 1 life?!

The answer to the emotional plea is, not necessarily. But then the quick rebuttal to that is, "You need to re-prioritize your values! Do you not have a heart?!"

I think you know what I'm comparing if you supposedly read what I wrote. You aren't an idiot, just hypersensitive and ultra "woke".
    Keep digging that hole and show everyone just how much of a shitposter you are. The two are incomparable.

In total, the CDC estimates that up to 42.9 million people got sick during the 2018-2019 flu season, 647,000 people were hospitalized and 61,200 died. Thatís fairly on par with a typical season, and well below the CDCís 2017-2018 estimates of 48.8 million illnesses, 959,000 hospitalizations and 79,400 deaths.
    Precaution is good, but China's death toll (with WAY more people) is somewhere less than 5k. If we are going to react like this to Corona virus are we going to do similar things next flu season?

It seems an awful lot like panic to me, and my concern is that when something comes along that kills 30% of those infected are we going to take it as serious if this is a relatively damp squib.

Quote Originally Posted by ortforshort View Post
    What you're saying is logical assuming the immune system functionality is the only factor in the severity of the illness. I believe there are a large number of cases where people of all ages have died and their immune systems were apparently funtioning normally. It hasn't been established that a normal immune system is the only factor determining the severity of illness.
    I plead ignorance, then. I live in a very small town and work for a small (in employee numbers) company...and I just moved here a few weeks ago to start the job...so I've been busy learning the new gig and settling into a new place as this whole thing continues to unfold. As I said, I spoke from logic but haven't followed the facts closely. I just knew closer to home those who died had other health issues prior, and others testing positive (again, near me) weren't hospitalized.

It's going to be quite strange with virtually ZERO sports going on, but it's still the right thing for these leagues to do.....better safe than adding to the problems. I run an online sports game that involves 6 sports plus a March Madness game....right now (with the PGA now also suspended) the only thing I have left to pay attention to is NASCAR....normally I get like 2 days a year off from getting stats together, that streak is ending.
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    Precaution is good, but China's death toll (with WAY more people) is somewhere less than 5k. If we are going to react like this to Corona virus are we going to do similar things next flu season?

It seems an awful lot like panic to me, and my concern is that when something comes along that kills 30% of those infected are we going to take it as serious if this is a relatively damp squib.
    Lets start with your comparison of the seasonal flu to COVID19: firstly, COVID19 has an rnot of close to 4; seasonal flu is a little over 1. This means infection rate for seasonal flu is 1:1 carrier to infectant, for COVID19 it is nearly 1:4 carrier to infectant. COVID19 is at least 4 times more contagious then the seasonal flu. Next, mortality rate of the seasonal flu is .1%, mortality rate for COVID19 is 3.4%.

So, letís take your 47 million cases of seasonal flu and extrapolate that accounting for the more contagious COVID19: 47,000,000 X 4 = 188,000,000. So, if we do nothing and let the virus run itís course as we do with the flu (which we have a vaccine for btw and do not for COVID19), we can expect to see close to 188,000,000 cases of coronavirus. 188,000,000 X .034 = 6,392,000...thatís how many people would die if we do nothing based on current stats.

As for your 30% mortality rate bull **** at the end of your post, are you unaware that people over the age of 80 have almost a 20% mortality rate right now? Is that not enough for all of us to take precautions so to protect those people?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Dade County View Post
    Guys think bigger...

If a billion dollar business is closing shop... This should tell you that this country is about to get hit hard.

And don't only think virus. Prepare yourself.
    Spot on. You have to think logically about this. If anyone had asked 4 months ago what it would take to completely shut down NA professional sports it's likely we all would have responded with "one hell of a problem"

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    You know what they DO ban? Running red lights. Reckless driving. Driving without a license. Almost like they realize cars are dangerous and take precautions to minimize the risk.
    Ha ha haha ha! Got em good

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

Quote Originally Posted by KobeOwnSU View Post
    Lets start with your comparison of the seasonal flu to COVID19: firstly, COVID19 has an rnot of close to 4; seasonal flu is a little over 1. This means infection rate for seasonal flu is 1:1 carrier to infectant, for COVID19 it is nearly 1:4 carrier to infectant. COVID19 is at least 4 times more contagious then the seasonal flu. Next, mortality rate of the seasonal flu is .1%, mortality rate for COVID19 is 3.4%.

So, letís take your 47 million cases of seasonal flu and extrapolate that accounting for the more contagious COVID19: 47,000,000 X 4 = 188,000,000. So, if we do nothing and let the virus run itís course as we do with the flu (which we have a vaccine for btw and do not for COVID19), we can expect to see close to 188,000,000 cases of coronavirus. 188,000,000 X .034 = 6,392,000...thatís how many people would die if we do nothing based on current stats.

As for your 30% mortality rate bull **** at the end of your post, are you unaware that people over the age of 80 have almost a 20% mortality rate right now? Is that not enough for all of us to take precautions so to protect those people?
    I didn't say to do nothing, you are confusing me with someone else. I know it's more contagious and more deadly, caution and education is fine, marshall law is too far. Yeah, I accept that life is dangerous and some people are going to die for simple entertainment and I'm okay with that. I watch motor racing, I mountain bike down mountains, I've ridden motorcycles hundreds of thousands of miles, I'm in favor of higher speed limits, I think pedestrian impact safety regulations in cars is fairly stupid, I played and watch football despite it scrambling brains, I'm for blanket legalization of drugs, I'm against imprisoning non-violent criminals, I don't think sex offenders should have to register in their area when they get out of prison, I'm against helmet laws, seat belt laws, cell-phone restriction laws, smoking restriction laws, vaping restriction laws. I can go on about dangerous things I support ... so yes, I'm okay with the concept of accepting social decisions are going to put some people at risk. That is nowhere near the same as saying nothing should be done.

Marshall Law

I didn't say to do nothing, you are confusing me with someone else. I know it's more contagious and more deadly, caution and education is fine, marshall law is too far. Yeah, I accept that life is dangerous and some people are going to die for simple entertainment and I'm okay with that. I watch motor racing, I mountain bike down mountains, I've ridden motorcycles hundreds of thousands of miles, I'm in favor of higher speed limits, I think pedestrian impact safety regulations in cars is fairly stupid, I played and watch football despite it scrambling brains, I'm for blanket legalization of drugs, I'm against imprisoning non-violent criminals, I don't think sex offenders should have to register in their area when they get out of prison, I'm against helmet laws, seat belt laws, cell-phone restriction laws, smoking restriction laws, vaping restriction laws. I can go on about dangerous things I support ... so yes, I'm okay with the concept of accepting social decisions are going to put some people at risk. That is nowhere near the same as saying nothing should be done.
    Why are we drawing the line at Marshall Law if that's what it would have to take to keep the virus relatively under control so that the sick would have a chance of being treated? What you're saying apparently is that your personal freedom to be able to spread the virus would Trump public safety. Most of us don't agree

marshall law wouldnt need to happen if people werent so stupid... if you give people the option they will spread this **** like there is no tomorrow.

You more or less had me in agreement until the bolded. Youíre just going Full Darwin now.

Libertarian

[QUOTE=I didn't say to do nothing, you are confusing me with someone else. I know it's more contagious and more deadly, caution and education is fine, marshall law is too far. Yeah, I accept that life is dangerous and some people are going to die for simple entertainment and I'm okay with that. I watch motor racing, I mountain bike down mountains, I've ridden motorcycles hundreds of thousands of miles, I'm in favor of higher speed limits, I think pedestrian impact safety regulations in cars is fairly stupid, I played and watch football despite it scrambling brains, I'm for blanket legalization of drugs, I'm against imprisoning non-violent criminals, I don't think sex offenders should have to register in their area when they get out of prison, I'm against helmet laws, seat belt laws, cell-phone restriction laws, smoking restriction laws, vaping restriction laws. I can go on about dangerous things I support ... so yes, I'm okay with the concept of accepting social decisions are going to put some people at risk. That is nowhere near the same as saying nothing should be done..[/QUOTE]

Understood that if you want to do dangerous things to yourself, we're all good with that. Go for it. However, when your dangerous stuff negatively impacts others, that's when a higher authority needs to get involved. The sex offender thing is just plain stupid. The coronavirus thing, as well. You have to have some responsibility to others no matter how much you think you can manage yourself.

....China quarantined 12 million people to keep their death toll under 5k. They, in fact, instituted marshall law. Using China as your example of the virus not being serious contradicts your position that marhsall law would be too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    You more or less had me in agreement until the bolded. Youíre just going Full Darwin now.
    Goodness lmao!!
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2