Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 73 of 180 FirstFirst ... 2363717273747583123173 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,095 of 2693
    Quote Originally Posted by warfelg View Post
    I should have said more widespread publically. Even if you want to designate early-March as the beginning (that's when it was officially labeled a Pandemic), the donation came a month later. Like I said every bit helps, but I feel as though it should be asked of places why they waited so long. Especially since supplies have been asked about since that time.
    I imagine it takes some time to set up trust funds and oversight and move that much money around.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    I imagine it takes some time to set up trust funds and oversight and move that much money around.
    That's fair enough, but I haven't seen any statements that say that's why there was the delay. Like when Facebook donated their absurd amount of stored N-95 masks (I think it was like 750,000 for 40,000 employees because of the 2018 California wildfires), the did make mention that they had to be delivered out of storage and apologized for the delay.

All of this was known back in January.
    Did you for see this happening to this degree back in January? Or even February? Lotta people late to the party and Iím just glad some are finally showing up.

Itís one thing to criticize Trump for blowing this off but to say someone donating money to the cause should have done so earlier when they donít acruslly have to do anything is pretty obtuse. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.....

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Did you for see this happening to this degree back in January? Or even February? Lotta people late to the party and Iím just glad some are finally showing up.

Itís one thing to criticize Trump for blowing this off but to say someone donating money to the cause should have done so earlier when they donít acruslly have to do anything is pretty obtuse. Talk about looking a gift horse in the mouth.....
    Well unless you think it was never going to hit here (mistake) then the sale of ventilators and masks to China and other countries in Jan and Feb by our government showed that there was going to be a shortage. Someone could have purchased them ahead and donated them to states or hospitals.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/5109747002/

I also said I'm grateful for what they are doing, but when there were NBA players donating in total millions to keep people in houses and feeding families, national media talked very little. Now we're a month in and someone donates something and we're supposed to act like they are a hero? Yea it helps but why the wait. i can get what IR said as to the wait, but without saying why it looks like someone donating so people don't hate him.
    Last edited by warfelg; 04-09-2020 at 03:53 PM.

Well unless you think it was never going to hit here (mistake) then the sale of ventilators and masks to China and other countries in Jan and Feb by our government showed that there was going to be a shortage. Someone could have purchased them ahead and donated them to states or hospitals.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...us/5109747002/

I also said I'm grateful for what they are doing, but when there were NBA players donating in total millions to keep people in houses and feeding families, national media talked very little. Now we're a month in and someone donates something and we're supposed to act like they are a hero? Yea it helps but why the wait. i can get what IR said as to the wait, but without saying why it looks like someone donating so people don't hate him.
    Those NBA players donated money to arena workers who were immediately affected by this and were part of ďfamilyĒ so to speak. It was a great thing that they realized was going to immediately affect people that they personally knew.

People thought that this was going to be another swine flu/bird flu/Ebola back then. Youíre starting to sound like Stylez. Hindsight is 20/20. Whatís past is prologue. Things are changing everyday. To downplay someone for not acting quicker when they donít have to act at all is just being a jerk.

Those NBA players donated money to arena workers who were immediately affected by this and were part of ďfamilyĒ so to speak. It was a great thing that they realized was going to immediately affect people that they personally knew.

People thought that this was going to be another swine flu/bird flu/Ebola back then. Youíre starting to sound like Stylez. Hindsight is 20/20. Whatís past is prologue. Things are changing everyday. To downplay someone for not acting quicker when they donít have to act at all is just being a jerk.
    You mean the companies or our government?

I would agree companies largely did what they were asked and some weren't even asked to help and did, that was great.

Our government could have been doing much more much earlier and they are supposed to be the ones acting. They do have responsibility. Our government just didn't intervene and ask for help until it was later on in the process. As noted we had been shipping supplies to China, we have experts that could have been listened to, it's just that those in power made it a political back and forth. We spent the February fighting over if it was a hoax that would just go away or not.

By early March few thought that. Most recognized it was going to be a problem. If you have an issue with someone wondering why it took someone to do a generous act, that's fine. But to come up with these excuses for "no one knew" when our country has been dealing with it for a month (I'm on week 4 of not being in my office) and saying that's why I can't ask why it took so long is not really countering what I'm asking.

If this donation came through the last full week of March (when it was a problem too) then I wouldn't be asking this. But there's states that are starting the backside of their curve. States that did early lockdowns aren't in as huge of a need of products and money.
    Last edited by warfelg; 04-09-2020 at 04:20 PM.

By early March few thought that. Most recognized it was going to be a problem. If you have an issue with someone wondering why it took someone to do a generous act, that's fine. But to come up with these excuses for "no one knew" when our country has been dealing with it for a month (I'm on week 4 of not being in my office) and saying that's why I can't ask why it took so long is not really countering what I'm asking.

If this donation came through the last full week of March (when it was a problem too) then I wouldn't be asking this. But there's states that are starting the backside of their curve. States that did early lockdowns aren't in as huge of a need of products and money.
    Right when something is reported is not when it is considered a well known by the population. It was not considered a national emergency in our country until March 13. It has been considered an emergency for less than a month at this point from the top, let alone when that message was fully received and implemented by others in the public changes by state/individual but it would be unfair to blame the public for not beating those most informed/running the country in taking serious action.

Quote Originally Posted by mngopher35 View Post
    Right when something is reported is not when it is considered a well known by the population. It was not considered a national emergency in our country until March 13. It has been considered an emergency for less than a month at this point from the top, let alone when that message was fully received and implemented by others in the public changes by state/individual but it would be unfair to blame the public for not beating those most informed/running the country in taking serious action.
    So I look at this was declared a pandemic on March 11th. The US had been selling items out of it's reserve since January.

Facebook made their donation March 30th, Disney April 1st/2nd, now Jack Dorsey on April 8th. And someone is trying to tell me you couldn't see it being this bad? We had literally been selling our own life saving technology for 2 month depleating our stock without replacing it.

You mean the companies or our government?

I would agree companies largely did what they were asked and some weren't even asked to help and did, that was great.

Our government could have been doing much more much earlier and they are supposed to be the ones acting. They do have responsibility. Our government just didn't intervene and ask for help until it was later on in the process. As noted we had been shipping supplies to China, we have experts that could have been listened to, it's just that those in power made it a political back and forth. We spent the February fighting over if it was a hoax that would just go away or not.
    Yes, the government ****ed up. I donít remember them hardly saying anything at all until SXSW and then the NBA season were canceled. He shut down some travel with China but like any border, if itís not contained immediately youíll still have the trickle down effect that actually works.

The fool in charge and his sycophants didnít want to interrupt the economy so they downplayed it. Now that weíre hearing that top officials/experts knew about this way earlier and how bad it was likely to get but Trump largely ignored them because it would cost him and his buddies money I hope his (figurative) head goes on a (figurative) spike.

I had to add the figuratives on there or else Stylez would think I literally want Trump to be Ned Starked.
    Last edited by Saddletramp; 04-09-2020 at 05:57 PM.

This is what Iím saying. Itís been a month since weíve all been fully aware that it was this big of a monster. We can fault the people in charge but not the guys trying to donate money to the cause. Iím pretty sure a lot of business guys didnít think it would get this bad and waited or are waiting until it becomes worse for whatever reason whether it be that they are losing business/affected personally, are asked, want their *** kissed, or they realize that this is the moment that they think they can really help the world.

Better late than never but some people are just never satisfied.

I can really only think of one guy off the top of my head that did anything without an ulterior motive to help the world:

Sir Alexander Fleming, inventor of penicillin, who refused to patent penicillin for profit.

So I look at this was declared a pandemic on March 11th. The US had been selling items out of it's reserve since January.

Facebook made their donation March 30th, Disney April 1st/2nd, now Jack Dorsey on April 8th. And someone is trying to tell me you couldn't see it being this bad? We had literally been selling our own life saving technology for 2 month depleating our stock without replacing it.
    By the WHO, I was talking about our government.

Yes, I am saying it takes time for these things to reach the people and then businesses to coordinate and be able to take action. I am also saying it's going exponentially so the worse it gets the more people are seeing that it can get this bad and taking these actions and having that messaging coming from the government instead of moreso it may just go away.

Do you think all companies are out there tracking government supplies ready to replace? They aren't just going to act immediately to something they don't fully understand themselves probably and the government hasn't given much direction. It all takes coordination and that response has been a big part of the lag. It's just not on the companies to be the ones coordinating our nations response.

I can really only think of one guy off the top of my head that did anything without an ulterior motive to help the world:

Sir Alexander Fleming, inventor of penicillin, who refused to patent penicillin for profit.
    That's cuz we're in the US- people do things for the greater good a lot more outside of the US, aside from Bernie of course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Click here to register!

Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

Quote Originally Posted by blams View Post
    That's cuz we're in the US- people do things for the greater good a lot more outside of the US, aside from Bernie of course.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    To steal a Scrubs Dr Cox-ism:
    People only do things for 3 reasons, girls, power, and money.