Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 34 of 178 FirstFirst ... 2432333435364484134 ... LastLast
    The fear of the virus by itself will kill the economy. If people are scared to go out and spend money, forget it, it crashes.

The majority of the ones that are willing to take that chance is part of a group that doesnít have the money.

Silvers interview I think tells you enough that he is very uncertain we will have ball going on anytime soon.

The Spanish flu before the Great Depression is a very similar situation. We will use suppression to limit the virus, but you will have to switch to mitigation just for economic help. But realistically with all uncertainty this wonít help. The fear of the virus will drain the economy, and media will limit what they tell you to avoid complete hysteria.

Also the millions that will die, and a specific age group crushed by it, yes it will hurt the economy.

there wont be basketball for at least the next 6 months. This isnt even close to its peak here.

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    not nearly as bad as shutting down the bulk of the workforce for 18 months. ESP considering most of the people dying are not significantly contributing to the economy. I know that sounds heartless..... and obviously i think its horrible whats happening. But there comes a point when the effects of the shut down are hurting the entire country about as much as the virus is hurting a relatively small portion (even though that is a lot of deaths)
    First, those people dying contributed to the economy for 40-60 years, much more than you or I have.

Second, we're not even close to the measures China took to curb the virus. They quarantined 12 million people and put up emergency hospitals in a matter of days to isolate the sick. We can't keep our kids off the beaches during spring break. Our projections are much closer to Italy, where the death toll is massive and continuing to rise.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    First, those people dying contributed to the economy for 40-60 years, much more than you or I have.

Second, we're not even close to the measures China took to curb the virus. They quarantined 12 million people and put up emergency hospitals in a matter of days to isolate the sick. We can't keep our kids off the beaches during spring break. Our projections are much closer to Italy, where the death toll is massive and continuing to rise.
    didnt china leave their airports wide open for international flights for months after the break in September over there?

The chinese basketball league was having games up until about a month ago too!

didnt china leave their airports wide open for international flights for months after the break in September over there?

The chinese basketball league was having games up until about a month ago too!
    Not in the district where the outbreak happened. 12 million people, there are over a billion in China. That's like quarantining all of New York City.

Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    Not in the district where the outbreak happened. 12 million people, there are over a billion in China. That's like quarantining all of New York City.
    thing im thinking about is.... theres no point in quarantining if everyone doesnt do it. Im in the bay area, and im on lockdown. I still work because I work in an essential industry. I have gone in for about 10 hrs total this week over 3 days. The rest from home.

What pisses me off here is when i see on the news that OLD PEOPLE are out doing non essential **** all over the place!!! I dont want it to get to a point where police have to arrest people for going out..... but seeing people in their mid 60s run to their banks to get notaries or hanging out at costco all day (because as they say they got bored at home). LOL if the people with the highest risk dont care. whats the point of destroying the economy?

thing im thinking about is.... theres no point in quarantining if everyone doesnt do it. Im in the bay area, and im on lockdown. I still work because I work in an essential industry. I have gone in for about 10 hrs total this week over 3 days. The rest from home.

What pisses me off here is when i see on the news that OLD PEOPLE are out doing non essential **** all over the place!!! I dont want it to get to a point where police have to arrest people for going out..... but seeing people in their mid 60s run to their banks to get notaries or hanging out at costco all day (because as they say they got bored at home). LOL if the people with the highest risk dont care. whats the point of destroying the economy?
    its more so to slow the virus down and give the country time to find a vaccine... we would have no hospital ability left if we didnt quarentine etc... hospitals have no beds/equipment now imagine if we werent in a lockdown?

I went and programmed a universal remote for an 80 something year old man with COPD on Monday, just bc he didn't want to have to use separate remotes for his cable box and Roku. Thought for sure he'd be the exact type of person who'd be smart enough to cancel the appointment. Nope.

Boomers suck right now. Many of them donít know or care what is going on. My m-i-l wanted to take the kids to the playground today. And my mother wanted to swing by and drop off some leftovers. Nope and nope. Iíve seen several people say it now, the more people that donít abide, the longer weíre going to be in this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Boomers suck right now. Many of them donít know or care what is going on. My m-i-l wanted to take the kids to the playground today. And my mother wanted to swing by and drop off some leftovers. Nope and nope. Iíve seen several people say it now, the more people that donít abide, the longer weíre going to be in this situation.
    To be fair, if everybody got together and breathed in each other's faces for 30 minutes we'd be out of this situation a lot faster.

Quote Originally Posted by More-Than-Most View Post
    its more so to slow the virus down and give the country time to find a vaccine... we would have no hospital ability left if we didnt quarentine etc... hospitals have no beds/equipment now imagine if we werent in a lockdown?
    we will not be in a lockdown for 18 months though. we wont survive. businesses will need to open up. perhaps we make some strict social distancing laws, and immediately ask someone to leave if they show the slightest indication that they are not well.

Also traveling abroad will need to change. we should quarantine anyone who comes back for 2 weeks and make people apply to go to certain counties- meaning they must have a very good reason.

certain non essential things might become more essential as time goes on. I feel fortunate that my income wont be impacted and my big personal concerns in order are my 401k (I have trippled my contribution amounts), being able to go to the gym, im going to need a hair cut in a week or so.

A lot of rumors of a 2 week country wide lockdown coming very soon, as in like Monday soon. Weíll see if that happens but Iíve seen it a lot of different places. California has already done a complete shutdown.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by Scoots View Post
    To be fair, if everybody got together and breathed in each other's faces for 30 minutes we'd be out of this situation a lot faster.
    Like a chicken pox party. I get it. And I think a lot of us feel that way. Pull the band aid off and get back to life in two weeks. But of course, so many wouldnít have that option and some of us could die from that still.

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    A lot of rumors of a 2 week country wide lockdown coming very soon, as in like Monday soon. Weíll see if that happens but Iíve seen it a lot of different places. California has already done a complete shutdown.
    all 5 counties here in the bay area have been shut down since Tuesday. I think Los Angeles has been shut down too since that time. Last night the entire state was ordered to shut down.

Originally they said it wouldnt be forever.... but when Newsom made the announcement last night.... it kinda sounded like this is what life is going to be like from here on out. There was no talk of an end date.

Quote Originally Posted by mike_noodles View Post
    Like a chicken pox party. I get it. And I think a lot of us feel that way. Pull the band aid off and get back to life in two weeks. But of course, so many wouldnít have that option and some of us could die from that still.
    I didn't say I wanted it, just that everybody staying home makes it take longer to "go away" not less time.