Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





Page 25 of 166 FirstFirst ... 1523242526273575125 ... LastLast
Results 361 to 375 of 2483
  1. #361
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,833
    Quote Originally Posted by goingfor28 View Post
    I wonder why Italy seems to be so much worse off than other areas? Are they an older population? Is it bc they're much more touchy feely than most of the world? Pretty sure they kiss each other regularly as a normal greeting.
    My understanding is that they haven't been able to identify a patient zero, i.e. the guy who brought COVID-19 into the country. Without knowing that they didn't know where to start the quarantine and testing, so the virus spread unhindered for weeks.

    Italy's initial problem was that it simply couldn't identify the person who first brought the virus into the country, known as Patient Zero. That made tracing who that person had come into contact with impossible.

    The first confirmed case, or Patient 1, came in a hospital in the northern region of Lombardy. Italian Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte admitted that the hospital there did not follow procedure and inadvertently helped the virus spread. But this mistake, at a regional hospital, could have happened just about anywhere.

    The fast-growing number of cases in Lombardy, many of which were in people who had not traveled abroad, implied that the virus had likely been there for some time, and been spreading communally, making the job of tracing who had contact with whom and when a labyrinthine task.

  2. #362
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Maple Grove, MN
    Posts
    7,380
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    My understanding is that they haven't been able to identify a patient zero, i.e. the guy who brought COVID-19 into the country. Without knowing that they didn't know where to start the quarantine and testing, so the virus spread unhindered for weeks.
    Italy is an older population, same with Spain which is also going to get hit hard. As far as percentage goes, while 6% is very real right now, however, the statistics say that most cases(likely 60%+) are going undetected due to milder symptoms, so the real death rate is much, much lower than even 3%. However, this is still very dangerous because 1) We have no immunity and if it mutates to become more deadly(most viruses mutate to become less deadly overtime to make sure the hosts survives and spreads the virus longer) we are screwed 2) The goal now is really to just make sure our healthcare system can manage, because if a ton of people become sick in critical condition at once, a whole lot of people with Covid19 or any other illness that requires attention will not get the help they need.
    Last edited by Oefarmy2005; 03-14-2020 at 12:25 AM.


    PSD Grammar Lesson #1:

    a) their - stands for "belonging to them"
    b) there - means "over there" as in location
    c) they're - short for "they are"

  3. #363
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,004
    I've spoken with a couple healthcare professionals that believe the US is at high risk of going through what Italy is going through.

    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  4. #364
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    7,057
    Quote Originally Posted by ewing View Post
    CrZy times MTM. Rudy was an ******* but Iím starting to feel bad for him. At least he didnít make any excuses.
    Agree

    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Ehhh I wouldnít go that far, all he was doing was being nice and signing an autograph but maybe they had been told not to by then. Itís the teammate stuff that makes Rudy a **** boy but I have a hard time dragging him for trying to make that kids day and give him his autograph when he had no clue he had it and it was just business as usual.
    And agree.

  5. #365
    Join Date
    Mar 2020
    Location
    409 Barnes Street Orlando, FL 32809
    Posts
    2
    This is true, they are right.

  6. #366
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    26,108
    I dont mind the beating Gobert is taking over the microphone thing - that was irresponsible and was a terrible look.

    But I do think the stuff regarding the kid and the autograph is incendiary and downright irresponsible to report.

    Did the kid receive the autograph before immediately entering a hermetically sealed bubble (the kind through which you can still watch tv and operate the remote) where he has been quarantined until now?

    Where I live March break has been extended by 2 weeks and it's not because Rudy Gobert is in town.

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by nycericanguy View Post
    well unfortunately it looks like you were right about Bargs...

    but hopefully we can use his expiring, if not at least we unloaded Novak's deal...

  7. #367
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Posts
    3,000
    For all we know Gobert couldíve got it from the kid.
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

    8/24/2

  8. #368
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    For all we know Gobert couldíve got it from the kid.

  9. #369
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    South Dakota
    Posts
    11,092
    Quote Originally Posted by Oefarmy2005 View Post
    Italy is an older population, same with Spain which is also going to get hit hard. As far as percentage goes, while 6% is very real right now, however, the statistics say that most cases(likely 60%+) are going undetected due to milder symptoms, so the real death rate is much, much lower than even 3%. However, this is still very dangerous because 1) We have no immunity and if it mutates to become more deadly(most viruses mutate to become less deadly overtime to make sure the hosts survives and spreads the virus longer) we are screwed 2) The goal now is really to just make sure our healthcare system can manage, because if a ton of people become sick in critical condition at once, a whole lot of people with Covid19 or any other illness that requires attention will not get the help they need.
    and what happens when it's our healthcare professionals that get hit hard by this?
    gotta love 'referential' treatment

  10. #370
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Christian Woods has tested positive for it. He had a great game against Gobert too.

  11. #371
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    111,806
    embiid cant stay healthy now... imagine if he has the virus like they are thinking : (... he gone

  12. #372
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Indianapolis, IN
    Posts
    8,833
    So apparently the Houston Rodeo was shut down because an apparently healthy police officer in his 40s who attended Feb 28th is currently in a coma (not sure if it was induced).

    But yeah, COVID-19 only gets old, sick people.

  13. #373
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    31,292
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    So apparently the Houston Rodeo was shut down because an apparently healthy police officer in his 40s who attended Feb 28th is currently in a coma (not sure if it was induced).

    But yeah, COVID-19 only gets old, sick people.
    Yeah, as a media member in Houston, we've been following this closely. The Houston Rodeo is probably the city's single biggest annual event. It's a massive economic generator, and something that impacts every local school district on top of thousands of vendors and local businesses.

    For them to close it down last week, that Montgomery County case must have really scared local health officials. It was the first community-spread case in the metro as well. And top of that, every Houston metro county has basically banned all significant events through the month of March.

    But it must just be another case of experienced medical professionals and elected officials overreacting to this overblown media narrative...

  14. #374
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    25,004
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    So apparently the Houston Rodeo was shut down because an apparently healthy police officer in his 40s who attended Feb 28th is currently in a coma (not sure if it was induced).

    But yeah, COVID-19 only gets old, sick people.
    That's not true. It's hard on immunocompromised people...a lot of people. It's harder on smokers. It's harder in diabetics.

    It leaves a lot of people with 20-30 percent reduced lung capacity.

    It's bad. It overwhelms medical resources and will kill people that never got the disease.


    I get a pneumonia shot every 5 years. My wife is diabetic.


    Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

    Click here to register!

    Hope to see some new posters around here soon.

  15. #375
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    2,193
    Welp, not looking good.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •