Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 53 of 203 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyRealist View Post
    1. S. Korea has 51 million people in an area the size of Indiana. Their population density is WAY HIGHER than ours. They should have more problems containing the infection, not less.

2, 4, 5, 6: And why don't we have anything even remotely like this? Why don't we have even PART of this? Why doesn't any State have anything like this?
    Jesus Christ... because we have a constitution, a culture of freedom, a culture of privacy, and a lack of funds to get that sort of technology throughout our ginormous country...
    2015 Bull's Mock Trade Game Championship Team

San Antonio Spurs

PG: Chris Paul | Patty Mills | Jose Calderon
    SG: Khris Middleton | J.J. Redick | Iman Shumpert
    SF: DeMarre Carroll | P.J. Tucker | Anthony Morrow
    PF: Tim Duncan | Carlos Boozer | Kyle O'Quinn
    C : Al Horford | Rudy Gobert

Quote Originally Posted by mightybosstone View Post
    Huh? Is that why they agreed to pass a $2 trillion bipartisan stimulus package with Republicans? I'm sorry, but the notion that the left "doesn't want to do anything to help the economy going during all this" is just totally idiotic. Why would they want the economy to tank? And if your response is "to beat Trump," I wouldn't worry too much about that. Trump has beaten himself over the last four years.

A completely abysmal economy is bad for everyone. The one thing both sides of the aisle probably CAN agree on is that a depression benefits nobody.
    I do find it odd that the Democrats tried putting abortion trash into this bill though. I expect the Republicans to be sneaky and disgusting by lying to the world about weapons of mass destruction and the threat of terror from Iraq... I expected the Democrats adding stupid trash in the Affordable Care Act which people passed without even reading... but to use this pandemic and delaying the $2 trillion because they wanted to add garbage completely unrelated to the virus is just another low.

Nevertheless, I think most people on the left and right DO in fact care. Maybe I'm naive/ignorant for thinking that. I just don't trust politicians or devout left/right people.

San Antonio Spurs

Quote Originally Posted by Redrum187 View Post
    Jesus Christ... because we have a constitution, a culture of freedom, a culture of privacy, and a lack of funds to get that sort of technology throughout our ginormous country...
    We just spent $2 trillion because we had to shut things down. There's plenty of things we COULD have done, but chose not to. Because we listened to politicians telling us we were fine, instead of the experts telling us to be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by Saddletramp View Post
    Oh, he is. At first he was saying China shouldíve locked everything down but when Trump said things shouldíve restarted by Easter he adapted that ďwell, whatcha gonna do?Ē response. From seeing him type that since his 401k looks better under Trump he thinks Trump is doing a good job tells me that itís all about his personal wealth and nothing else matter to him yet he works from home (not entirely sure if he always has or just since the CV showed up) so it wonít affect him quite the same.

Then seeing him spouting goofy **** like:

He literally doesnít understand how a virus speeds yet he wants people to go back to work. Trump didnít want to shut everything down like the South Koreans and now heís wondering why the government is now that itís rapidly spreading.

You just canít make this level of incompetence and misunderstanding up.
    when there was a 15 day time period on it. I was ok with it. I have concerns about losing basic freedoms for an undetermined amount of time. Also, not even knowing what the actual objective is to get the economy back up and running in very clear terms. And not knowing if that objective is attainable in a reasonable amount of time. Those are things I think should be worrisome for everyone.

Virus spreads when people are out infecting each other. if everyone is sitting at home and we are still getting this amount of infections coming in in 3, 4 , 5 months..... then staying at home is not the answer!

We just spent $2 trillion because we had to shut things down. There's plenty of things we COULD have done, but chose not to. Because we listened to politicians telling us we were fine, instead of the experts telling us to be prepared.
    The experts are constantly saying they dont know when this will end or when it will peak... then this weekend they all seemed to know it would peak in exactly 2 weeks and exactly what range the next 2 weeks would produce in deaths. (personally I think the number is high 100k-240k in 2 weeks?) Maybe when we come back with 30-40 k in two weeks, trump will come out and say he saved 150k lives

Quote Originally Posted by likemystylez View Post
    when there was a 15 day time period on it. I was ok with it. I have concerns about losing basic freedoms for an undetermined amount of time. Also, not even knowing what the actual objective is to get the economy back up and running in very clear terms. And not knowing if that objective is attainable in a reasonable amount of time. Those are things I think should be worrisome for everyone.

Virus spreads when people are out infecting each other. if everyone is sitting at home and we are still getting this amount of infections coming in in 3, 4 , 5 months..... then staying at home is not the answer!
    In general it is. For some more than others, but that's generally why LEOs have been reluctant to actually fine or arrest people for violating the stay-at-home orders. Everyone wants this to not be mandated by the government.

The problem with the second part is the level of infection if we were NOT staying home.

Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez... is that you? :P "We can just print more money to get everything we want and need! Inflation be damned."

Our funds and production is focused on getting people on the front line the medical necessities to avoid catching the virus on the patients they are caring for. This is the number 1 priority. If you are wondering why more money wasn't given for thermal imaging, that's fine... but neither party talked about it because it wouldn't do us any good right at this moment. Instead, the Democrats tried putting other trash in the bill... not your thermal imaging.

Without a doubt we can use this experience as a learning experience and invest in thermal imaging for future pandemics, but there is no way we could ever get it on the same level of South Korea. You're comparing two things that cannot be compared all the while ignoring a multitude of other variables.
    Last edited by Redrum187; 04-01-2020 at 06:49 PM.

San Antonio Spurs

The thing is you will never know if we overreacted, but certainly know if we underreacted. If you feel sacrificing lives for the sake of the economy, I wish you were close to the health care industry. Losing nurses, doctors, some of which are good friends who should have 40-50 years left of life, have that conversation with their loved ones. It hasnít impacted you to that degree so itís easy to sit and say some elderly will need to die in sake of the economy.

If everyone was actually sitting at home we wouldnít see these rates. But of course you have to live your life, get gas, groceries which is an everyday essential to living that germs spread.

I realize the economy bounce back isnít going to be easy with already low interest rates, but itís also difficult being in the health field seeing 20 year olds die that you are close to.

In general it is. For some more than others, but that's generally why LEOs have been reluctant to actually fine or arrest people for violating the stay-at-home orders. Everyone wants this to not be mandated by the government.

The problem with the second part is the level of infection if we were NOT staying home.
    What was the rate of infection in january and feb?

What was the rate of infection in january and feb?
    In one flu season, without people taking precautions, as many as 54,000,000 Americans are estimated to get the flu even with a vaccine available, with a kill rate of about 0.1%. If COVID-19 is as infectous as the flu and 1 in 6 Americans got it, that'd be an estimated 500,000-1,000,000 deaths with a kill rate of 1-2%. That's assuming the same infection rate as the flu even though we don't have a vaccine available. The real infection rate is probably higher.

In one flu season, without people taking precautions, as many as 54,000,000 Americans are estimated to get the flu even with a vaccine available, with a kill rate of about 0.1%. If COVID-19 is as infectous as the flu and 1 in 6 Americans got it, that'd be an estimated 500,000-1,000,000 deaths with a kill rate of 1-2%. That's assuming the same infection rate as the flu even though we don't have a vaccine available. The real infection rate is probably higher.
    so why were the hospitals not this crowded in February? why werent there this amount of people dying? Or did they just assume it was the normal flu?

so why were the hospitals not this crowded in February? why werent there this amount of people dying? Or did they just assume it was the normal flu?
    Exponential growth is my guess. One becomes two, two becomes four, etc. Unfortunately the US didn't jump on this when it became apparent there was a problem in China. Had we been able to do contact tracing and isolate the carriers, things could have been different.

I'm not in infectious disease so take that with a grain of salt.

Also- if the death numbers are still going up at this pace in 2-3 months.... that would mean people are sitting at home and still finding a way to get infected and dying at an even higher rate than they were in February when everyone was out and about living their lives.

Is also suspicious that our deaths started jumping right when the government decided to make a huge deal out of this. It wasnt a huge issue for 2+ months before that? Since they keep saying nobody knows the curve... how did they know to shut everything down right when they did? Also- how do they know the next 2 weeks will be bad before we start to flatten out.
    Meh, that's flawed logic. The more tests available, the more cases that will turn up. Back before people knew what to call it, people were still contracting it and dying from it. They just weren't being contributed to the positive cases or were being given a different cause of death other than COVID-19.

Quote Originally Posted by NBA all the way View Post
    Meh, that's flawed logic. The more tests available, the more cases that will turn up. Back before people knew what to call it, people were still contracting it and dying from it. They just weren't being contributed to the positive cases or were being given a different cause of death other than COVID-19.
    Im more focused on the people dying from it than the number of cases..... but if they were still dying from it. Why were hospitals not saying they were running out of supplies and feeling overloaded BEFORE we went into shelter in place mode.

Is shelter in place making things better or worse than it was when we were out doing our every day thing?

Im more focused on the people dying from it than the number of cases..... but if they were still dying from it. Why were hospitals not saying they were running out of supplies and feeling overloaded BEFORE we went into shelter in place mode.

Is shelter in place making things better or worse than it was when we were out doing our every day thing?
    You can't possibly be this ****ing stupid can you?

Rippin' lips son!!