Like us on Facebook


Follow us on Twitter





View Poll Results: Should Carlson Be Called Up OD?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    4 66.67%
  • No

    2 33.33%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,278

    Should Carlson be on OD Roster?

    If we wait until 4/10, we'll hold control over his 2026 season (his age 27 season). If we call him up OD, then we'll only have control over him through 2025.

    He's probably the best outfielder we have, but are those two weeks worth that entire season?

    Do you feel delaying his call up may cost us the ability to extend him long term like it likely has the Cubs with Bryant?

    What do you vote?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,927
    Bring him up now, if he plays well we will extend him
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Austin Dean is hitting better than Carlson. That gives the Cardinals plenty of justification of not bringing him up to start the season.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,293
    I didn't see Dean hitting better than Dylan Carlson. I think he deserves it Dean definitely deserves to be an extra outfielder for this team but that means ravelo can't stay really. Only thing Dean has done more than Carlson is hit 2 home runs. Carlson has 10 hits and scored 10 runs. Who knows what will happen though....at this point nothing the Cards do would shock me either way. You can make a case for either guy getting the nod.
    Last edited by stlfan544; 03-09-2020 at 11:20 PM.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    .286/.394/.643

    .357/.471/.536


    I shouldn't just say that Dean is having a better spring than Carlson. They are both doing extremely well. These slash lines are impressive.


    For the record Kris Bryant's slash line was .435/.500/1.304 in 2015 when he was left off the OD roster.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    oh... and the top one is Dean and the 2nd one is Carlson.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Obabikon View Post
    oh... and the top one is Dean and the 2nd one is Carlson.
    Yeah they both are doing well. I can definitely see us leaving Dean aboard somehow. He deserves to be on the MLB roster imo.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    How good will it be to finally have an outfielder who can hit? Ozuna just never really put it together for us. We have 3-4 outfielders that could put up .270/.360/.500 or better. O'Neill won't put up that type of OBP, but he could also have more pop.

    Dean had 18 HR's in 250 AB's for AAA last year. Is that enough power for a cleanup hitter?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,310
    Ravelo is out of options I believe which forces him to take a bench spot unless we DFA him. If Carlson makes the team he has to start so Fowler or O'Neill is 4th OF.

    Ravelo
    Weiters
    Edman
    Miller
    Fowler

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    midwest
    Posts
    31,927
    Well let's cut Fowler and have both on OD roster
    2019

    QB-Lock
    RB-Montgomery
    WR-AJ Brown, Hakeem Butler
    TE-TJ Hockenson
    Edge-Allen
    LB-Devon White, Blake Cashman
    CB-Joejuan Williams
    S-Dieonte Thompson

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,278
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    Ravelo is out of options I believe which forces him to take a bench spot unless we DFA him. If Carlson makes the team he has to start so Fowler or O'Neill is 4th OF.

    Ravelo
    Weiters
    Edman
    Miller
    Fowler
    Yeah, my OD outfield is

    LF - O'Neill
    CF - Bader
    RF - Fowler

    Bench
    Ravelo and Thomas

    With Edman and Miller as available helpers

    If we get to around May 1 and one of the players is struggling (of there is an injury) then Carlson would likely be the first call up, and he'd be the full time right fielder from that point forward. Playing time would be based on performance, but Carlson and Bader would get a longer leash.

    I hope by the end of the year the outfield is

    LF - O'Neill
    CF - Bader
    RF - Carlson

    Bench
    Dean and Thomas

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    illinois
    Posts
    1,310
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffy25 View Post
    If we get to around May 1 and one of the players is struggling (of there is an injury) then Carlson would likely be the first call up, and he'd be the full time right fielder from that point forward. Playing time would be based on performance, but Carlson and Bader would get a longer leash
    I highly expect that Carlson is with the Cardinals by May 1 (assuming he tears up AAA in April). Either Fowler is ineffective or Tyler O'Neill strains a lat trying to murder a baseball or has another mysterious "groin" injury. Interesting to see how much patience the Cardinals have in guys like Fowler, Bader, and Carpenter this year.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    57,278
    Quote Originally Posted by cards7 View Post
    I highly expect that Carlson is with the Cardinals by May 1 (assuming he tears up AAA in April). Either Fowler is ineffective or Tyler O'Neill strains a lat trying to murder a baseball or has another mysterious "groin" injury. Interesting to see how much patience the Cardinals have in guys like Fowler, Bader, and Carpenter this year.
    Agreed, but watch, come June, all will be playing well enough to be ignored, and we'll be talking about the leash with someone like Molina instead.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Posts
    2,030
    Molina won't get pulled for bad play... especially since Knizner has been pretty poor so far this spring. Worst case is he's so bad, they decide to start Weiters 2 times a week.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    NW Illinois
    Posts
    6,293
    Knizner is poor defensively as a catcher. I was hoping to be right that he is solid but he us not very good at all. Watching games in spring you can tell. I think the future is with Herrera for sure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •