Like us on Facebook

Follow us on Twitter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trades that almost happened that could have changed the NBA

I was reading up on trades that almost could have happened but the trigger was not pulled but they were teased and mentioned but anyway the trades that I read about that almost could have happened but did not happen were:

11- 1986- James Worthy and Byron Scott to the Dallas Mavericks; Mark Aguirre and Roy Tarpley would have gone to the Lakers

10- 1999- Tracy McGrady to the Philadelphia 76ers; Larry Hughes would have gone to the Toronto Raptors

9- 2011- Chris Paul to the Los Angeles Lakers; Pau Gasol and Lamar Odom would have gone to the-then New Orleans Hornets

8- 2000- 4 team trade that would have involved the Sixers, Pistons, Hornets and Lakers

Sixers would have got: Eddie Jones, Jerome Junkyard Dog Williams, Dale Ellis and Glen Rice

Pistons would have got: Allen Iverson and Matt Geiger

Hornets would have got: Jerry Stackhouse, Christian Laettner and Travis Knight

Lakers would have got: Anthony Mason, Toni Kukoc and Todd Fuller

7- 1994- Scottie Pippen would have gone to the Seattle Supersonics and Shawn Kemp would have gone to the Chicago Bulls

6- 1972- Dr J to the Atlanta Hawks

5- 1997- Scottie Pippen to the Vancouver Grizzlies; Bulls would have received the #4 draft pick rights to Tracy McGrady and an unnamed player would have also gone to Chicago

4- 1992- Charles Barkley to the Los Angeles Lakers; 76ers would have received James Worthy in that trade

3- 1987- Michael Jordan to the Los Angeles Clippers

2- 2007- The late Kobe Bryant to the Chicago Bulls

1- 1984- The biggest one on the list; Jordan's rights would have been traded to the Blazers and they would have drafted him and the Bulls would have ended up with Ralph Sampson; Bulls dynasty of 6 titles would not have existed

Cite your source
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

Gallinari to Miami this year
    <a href=https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7 target=_blank>https://images.app.goo.gl/RaiMUpUeDMoeqDZt7</a>

8/24/2

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...he-game#slide0

That is my source...feel free to read the article yourself

I remember people talking about the Scottie Pippen for Shawn Kemp trade and Jordan advising Seattle they'd be stupid not to trade for Scottie when he was retired. I also remember Charles Barkley believing he was going to be traded to the Lakers. And I know Hakeem stated the Rockets wanted to trade Ralph Sampson to the Blazers for the #3 pick and Clyde Drexler. Obviously, everyone remembers the David Stern veto of CP3 to the Lakers. Not really a trade, but I do remember there was some legitimate chatter that New York was going to try and sign Michael Jordan as a FA in the late 90's before Chicago offered him that ridiculous $30 mil a year contract.

If Pippen had gone to Seattle, you could have had a Pippen/Payton duo which would have been awesome and Kemp would have fit in with Jordan, Rodman and company

Just like if Barkley had gone to the Lakers...Barkley would have played with Magic Johnson and who knows they could have won a title together

Quote Originally Posted by Iggie View Post
    Gallinari to Miami this year
    Not exactly a trade that would have "changed the NBA".

Gasol was going to the Rockets in that CP3 trade..

1975 Kareem to New York instead of Los Angeles. He asked specifically to be traded to one of those two teams. Who knows what deal could have been made but the Knicks would have had Kareem, Spencer Haywood and Walt Frazier.

Probably be a late 70s dynasty assuming Frazier was adequately replaced or not traded to the Cavs. Knicks with Kareem are still unlikely to beat the Celtics in 1976 though.
    Anyhow, the Lakers managed to seal the deal and the rest is history.

Another one is Michael Jordan opting to stay one more year in college.
    That means the 1985 Draft where Ewing was picked first would have two possible #1s. No team picked a guard in the top 15 iirc, probably Dumars was the first guard to be selected, so who knows who would have gone for MJ there. Or let's be realistic, what the Draft table would look like

Chris Paul to the Lakers in 2011 is up there.

I remember reading about the 1984 draft day trade which was going to be a crazy one. And the Iverson one was weird one seeing how Geiger voided the whole deal and they ended up winning the East

Kobe Bryant in 2007 had a lot of offers. There was Chicago that was mentioned. There was Detroit as well, which was going to go through if Kobe didn't say no to it. There was also a situation around Cleveland, whether they'd be playing together with Lebron there or swapped with each other somehow.
    The Lakers were trying to bring Jason Kidd over in those years.

Kevin Garnett in the same year had the chance to go to the Lakers or the Suns. I remember him saying this in an interview recently where he was disappointed that Amare would have gone the other way. And Amare a couple of years later could have been dealt to the Cavaliers to play with Lebron. Stil don't see them reaching the Finals.

Nowitzki could have been traded away from Dallas in the early 2000s as Mark Cuban wanted a "real superstar".

I was always wondering if Shaq had other possible destinations other than Miami after LA. I think Dallas was one of them so we could have had a Shaq-Nowitzki swap and a duo of Kobe-Dirk whilst Shaq at Dallas is a question mark as we don't know who else was going to leave to accomodate for him.

I remember Hakeem Olajuwon allegedly as on the trade block in the early 90s. No clue who could have gotten him, but him out of Houston meant no back-to-back title wins just a few years later obviously.

The one surprising thing is that I never heard of any potential trades around John Stockton and/or Karl Malone.

The Jordan to Clippers 1987 one is the only one I never heard of before from that list.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreLock View Post
    Not exactly a trade that would have "changed the NBA".
    It would’ve sent a major ripple effect to the past and future

8/24/2

Quote Originally Posted by NYKalltheway View Post
    1975 Kareem to New York instead of Los Angeles. He asked specifically to be traded to one of those two teams. Who knows what deal could have been made but the Knicks would have had Kareem, Spencer Haywood and Walt Frazier.

Probably be a late 70s dynasty assuming Frazier was adequately replaced or not traded to the Cavs. Knicks with Kareem are still unlikely to beat the Celtics in 1976 though.
    Anyhow, the Lakers managed to seal the deal and the rest is history.

Another one is Michael Jordan opting to stay one more year in college.
    That means the 1985 Draft where Ewing was picked first would have two possible #1s. No team picked a guard in the top 15 iirc, probably Dumars was the first guard to be selected, so who knows who would have gone for MJ there. Or let's be realistic, what the Draft table would look like

Chris Paul to the Lakers in 2011 is up there.

I remember reading about the 1984 draft day trade which was going to be a crazy one. And the Iverson one was weird one seeing how Geiger voided the whole deal and they ended up winning the East

Kobe Bryant in 2007 had a lot of offers. There was Chicago that was mentioned. There was Detroit as well, which was going to go through if Kobe didn't say no to it. There was also a situation around Cleveland, whether they'd be playing together with Lebron there or swapped with each other somehow.
    The Lakers were trying to bring Jason Kidd over in those years.

Kevin Garnett in the same year had the chance to go to the Lakers or the Suns. I remember him saying this in an interview recently where he was disappointed that Amare would have gone the other way. And Amare a couple of years later could have been dealt to the Cavaliers to play with Lebron. Stil don't see them reaching the Finals.

Nowitzki could have been traded away from Dallas in the early 2000s as Mark Cuban wanted a "real superstar".

I was always wondering if Shaq had other possible destinations other than Miami after LA. I think Dallas was one of them so we could have had a Shaq-Nowitzki swap and a duo of Kobe-Dirk whilst Shaq at Dallas is a question mark as we don't know who else was going to leave to accomodate for him.

I remember Hakeem Olajuwon allegedly as on the trade block in the early 90s. No clue who could have gotten him, but him out of Houston meant no back-to-back title wins just a few years later obviously.

The one surprising thing is that I never heard of any potential trades around John Stockton and/or Karl Malone.

The Jordan to Clippers 1987 one is the only one I never heard of before from that list.
    Damn entitled NBA players of today.

Quote Originally Posted by valade16 View Post
    Damn entitled NBA players of today.
    Great players always asked to be traded to contenders. Kareem had only one year under contract then, so it's nothing new.

Players having the freedom to move anywhere they want to is good, but the Salary Cap is the reason why this is a bad thing. If you abolish the Salary Cap then you should allow players to be freed from contracts and make it possible to renegotiate new ones with the team they want to play for, assuming a deal with their owning team is made.

kobe traded for marion and kidd always intrigued me. tmac had 4 suitors he could agree to when he forced his way out. could've joined the Spurs but thought it would be too easy lol. dude was the anti KD in how he wanted to build a contender. duncan would've been with the magic had doc just let his family ride on the plane. what a ****ing idiot

On draft night 1996, the Sixers took Allen Iverson #1. But they were still trying to deal into the mid-lotto for another high pick. Their target? Local high school player Kobe Bryant.

They had a potential deal of Stackhouse and 2 2nds worked out for #12 from Washington (via Cleveland) that was changed to a 1st last minute and Philly backed out. (I think there was a second lesser players in all these deals but can’t remember exactly who).

Then there was a potential Stackhouse and a 2nd deal for #14 with Sacramento.

Last second when Philly heard Charlotte was potentially getting Vlade for #13 and the pick would be Kobe, they placed a call. Stackhouse, a second player, and a 1st. Charlotte wanted 2 second round picks in addition to that package.

Philly passed.

The (basically) 96-2000 Sixers could have been:
    AI
    Bryant
    Witherspoon
    Coleman
    Ratliff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast